April recruiting thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

April recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any idea what +4.75 WS means? Can't possibly mean 6-6 with shoes.
It is how much more her wingspan is than her height. Helpful to know for players who can defend taller positions than their height would suggest.

I believe that Juste plays with Gabby. She also follows Azzi, Nika, and Coach Valley.
Just hit all of her shots again as she and Gabby win the first game of the EuroCup game against Azura.

Reaction Score
She is a game changer. If she attended HS in the US she probably would be ranked #1. A bigger stronger Caitlyn Clark. I like Strong but he does need a true athletic big so he may be has a player oversees in mind. I also think there are two post players coming up that live in New York so keep an eye on them.
She is my number 1 get. In part because I've heard about her for a long time.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
She is my number 1 get. In part because I've heard about her for a long time.
Agree. Juste is one of those rare players that seems to play better under pressure. Similar to Lou this past year, every time I see her play in a tight game or under tough defense, she comes through.

Reaction Score
BD52C362-ADD7-48A9-9E13-F8133EA7D3C7.jpeg

Reaction Score
What do we know about her. She's a 6-2 PG. With KK being a sophmore next year, do we think she will just come off the bench to back her up and have Azzi and Paige at the one and two still?
From watching some vids on her game, very minimal. She is a good savy tall guard, who can defend, rebound and create her own shot. The only thing that is clear at least from what I watched is that she needs to continue to work on her left hand. She rarely goes left and when she does it's only to pass. Also, when she does decide to drive left and finish at the basket, she mostly finishes with her right. Again, all workable and I am sure she will be all in all, she looks good.

Reaction Score
Agree. Juste is one of those rare players that seems to play better under pressure. Similar to Lou this past year, every time I see her play in a tight game or under tough defense, she comes through.
What recruiting class would Jocyte be in if she came to UConn?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What do we know about her. She's a 6-2 PG. With KK being a sophmore next year, do we think she will just come off the bench to back her up and have Azzi and Paige at the one and two still?

Cheli's not a PG. She's a 2/3 with excellent rebounding ability. She's super quick and terrific leading press defenses as she does at Mitty. Also a tremendous passer and good shooter. Great basketball IQ.

I posted an article from last year in which her AAU coach compared her to Sabrina Ionescu who he also coached.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cheli's not a PG. She's a 2/3 with excellent rebounding ability. She's super quick and terrific leading press defenses as she does at Mitty. Also a tremendous passer and good shooter. Great basketball IQ.

I posted an article from last year in which her AAU coach compared her to Sabrina Ionescu who he also coached.
That is not an upsetting comparison. If she can do 80% of Sabrina, even that would be great.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I guess the question after the addition of Morgan Cheli is whether this is the mystery player Geno was referring to when hinting that there was at least one silent verbal. I suppose she could be, maybe even is. However, much as I like Cheli, she's not currently ranked top-5 on any of the scouting sites, and Geno specifically said in January that UConn had "commitments from 2 of the top 5 players in the country for next year" ('24).

One thing that sticks out is that Geno first made this comment in mid-January. Cheli made her visit to campus the weekend of the SC game which was February 5th. Would she have committed in January or earlier prior to her and her family visiting the campus? Possible I guess but don't recall recruits doing that. They usually commit after visiting or on that very trip.

Reaction Score
I guess the question after the addition of Morgan Cheli is whether this is the mystery player Geno was referring to when hinting that there was at least one silent verbal. I suppose she could be, maybe even is. However, much as I like Cheli, she's not currently ranked top-5 on any of the scouting sites, and Geno specifically said in January that UConn had "commitments from 2 of the top 5 players in the country for next year" ('24).

One thing that sticks out is that Geno first made this comment in mid-January. Cheli made her visit to campus the weekend of the SC game which was February 5th. Would she have committed in January or earlier prior to her and her family visiting the campus? Possible I guess but don't recall recruits doing that. They usually commit after visiting or on that very trip.
i read somewher it was a PG from '25

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
i read somewher it was a PG from '25

Well, Kelis Fisher, a PG from '25, committed in late January, but she's not in the class Geno was referring to. And Geno made this same comment about mystery recruits a week ago.

Reaction Score

1st bolded: I'm thinking that he meant HIS top 5 in the country but I'm willing to be wrong if the mystery kid is Strong. ;)
2nd bolded: GA does usually have recruits meet and interact with the team first before accepting their commitment and sometimes before offering. An example would be Brady who as a sophomore was all in but came cross country to visit and check that box. Cheli may have told him she was in and he could have told her 'let's have you meet the team and see the place to be sure'. And she obviously must have been sure.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1st bolded: I'm thinking that he meant HIS top 5 in the country but I'm willing to be wrong if the mystery kid is Strong. ;)
2nd bolded: GA does usually have recruits meet and interact with the team first before accepting their commitment and sometimes before offering. An example would be Brady who as a sophomore was all in but came cross country to visit and check that box. Cheli may have told him she was in and he could have told her 'let's have you meet the team and see the place to be sure'. And she obviously must have been sure.

1) I thought about that but it doesn't really jive with me. I could see him saying we have two excellent recruits, but top-5 is very specific and Geno doesn't make recruit rankings. He could've easily just said we have two commits in the next class and that they never brought up NIL. That "top-five" specifier means something, imo.

2) Under your scenario though that would mean Cheli wasn't actually a commit at the time Geno made his comments at that mid-January press conference. Why would Cheli have been one of his "top-5 recruits" at that point if Geno was still waiting to see how the team accepted her before agreeing to let her come to Storrs?

Reaction Score

not sure I'm buying that comparison but I sure hope that turns out to be true.......
1) I thought about that but it doesn't really jive with me. I could see him saying we have two excellent recruits, but top-5 is very specific and Geno doesn't make recruit rankings. He could've easily just said we have two commits in the next class and that they never brought up NIL. That "top-five" specifier means something, imo.

2) Under your scenario though that would mean Cheli wasn't actually a commit at the time Geno made his comments at that mid-January press conference. Why would Cheli have been one of his "top-5 recruits" at that point if Geno was still waiting to see how the team accepted her before agreeing to let her come to Storrs?
I may have missed it earlier but what do you think the impact of Cheli's commitment will have on the remaining '24 and 25" recruits of interest?

Reaction Score

On your first point, he and the staff most likely do and have their own rankings on the big board in the offices. ;) On your second point, in my scenario Cheli could have committed over the phone in early Jan. GA may have been comfortable with it, felt the team would probably be comfortable with it given Cheli's personality and energy, and invited her to visit mainly to insure her parent's and her comfort level with everything. Or it could be that he accepted her commit in Jan. and the visit may have been just a formality to make sure they were satisfied with everything. Either way, that could explain his "top 5" comment and that picture of them at the SC game sure looked like they liked it a lot. I know that doesn't shed any light on the Strong situation and I want her as much as you do. But I'm just glad they got Cheli.

Reaction Score
Whether Cheli was considered the top five recruit or not I don't know, but that comment gives us some hope that there could be another player considered top 5 by Geno or some rating service that is a secret get. For that reason I hope Cheli is not that person and we have more top five news to come.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What recruiting class would Jocyte be in if she came to UConn?

Several month ago, we narrowed down Juste's class to 2023, 2024, or 2025. I tend to think she's 2025, as most Euros go to their equivalent of high school until age 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom