April recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

April recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnCat posted the social media clip of these recent Morgan Cheli AAU highlights in a Cheli thread. This is the full expanded video.

OMG, she is amazing. I knew she was good, but I didn’t realize she was this good. The future looks bright.

Morgan is very much like Caroline with maybe a little better quickness. She has that same resourcefulness and relentlessness. When she dove for a loose ball I was sold. And I loved the moment toward the end when the opposing team’s fans chant “D Up” while Morgan shreds their D. I almost can’t believe Geno got her. I really hope she and Allie get a year with Paige before they inherit the team along with KK Ashlynn and Q. We are going to be so loaded with quick guards and big wings if we also get Toby next to Ayanna.

Big and fast! This is what really stood out for me about SC this past season, even more than Boston and Cardozo. Their D was almost impenetrable because they were bigger and faster than anyone at almost every position. And they will be again next season. But UConn will be too.

I can just picture an offense with KK slashing or passing to Morgan and Q doing the same. If the little guard doesn’t beat you, the big wings will. And all the while Ashlynn and Allie are ready to hit the 3 or scoop up any loose ball and start the break.

Reaction Score
Not every player on the floor has to take/make those shots. Gabby and Aaliyah are examples of improving as you move along, it’s something that she can develop.

In terms of hustle, rebounding, defense, running the floor, speed, she had advantage over any of the other Forwards UConn are looking at. This game made me a believer.
Day-Wilson of Duke entered the portal on March 27. In her first season she was selected ACC freshman of the year. She is a Crestwood alumna and did not seem happy there. Aaliyah Edwards is also a Crestwood alumna and seemed thrilled to be at UConn. Come on Toby is coming to join the Huskies.

Toby Fournier dominates in Nike Hoop Summit with 18 PTS, 9 REB, and 3 BLK against Team USA

Reaction Score
This is the best I've seen her play since she came on the scene. Definitely easier to see the development compared to OSBA and AAU where the teams she's faced were inconsistent competition-wise.

How she defended Del Rosario erases my concerns about strength. Once that outside shot becomes more consistent, ooooh boy.
Regarding your first paragraph and the competition, it’s not unusual for kids like Fournier to thrive in better competition. When a kid plays as fast, physically, and instinctively as she does, slower paced competition can make it seem as if there’s always someone in the way if that makes any sense. Sort of like a NASCAR guy driving his family SUV through city traffic. Yes, she’s still kind of raw but it looks like the toughness and work ethic are there for her to really develop under good coaching. But you can’t teach the way she just knows how to impact a game in so many ways.

Reaction Score
Regarding your first paragraph and the competition, it’s not unusual for kids like Fournier to thrive in better competition. When a kid plays as fast, physically, and instinctively as she does, slower paced competition can make it seem as if there’s always someone in the way if that makes any sense. Sort of like a NASCAR guy driving his family SUV through city traffic. Yes, she’s still kind of raw but it looks like the toughness and work ethic are there for her to really develop under good coaching. But you can’t teach the way she just knows how to impact a game in so many ways.

Agreed, however she didn't show this last summer during some of the tougher games of FIBA U17 and EYBL.

Reaction Score
Day-Wilson of Duke entered the portal on March 27. In her first season she was selected ACC freshman of the year. She is a Crestwood alumna and did not seem happy there. Aaliyah Edwards is also a Crestwood alumna and seemed thrilled to be at UConn. Come on Toby is coming to join the Huskies.

Toby Fournier dominates in Nike Hoop Summit with 18 PTS, 9 REB, and 3 BLK against Team USA

And she's spent time training with Amihere over the last couple years who went to SC and had a great experience. I'd like to think UConn has an advantage, but there's no guarantee. Similar links were being made with Prosper for a while and we saw what happened there.

Reaction Score
Whether Cheli was considered the top five recruit or not I don't know, but that comment gives us some hope that there could be another player considered top 5 by Geno or some rating service that is a secret get. For that reason I hope Cheli is not that person and we have more top five news to come.
Sarah Strong?

Reaction Score

THERE SHE WAS== Kara Larson of Duke watching Toby Lee Fournier on this video (towards the end). I'm glad she is
from Crestwood Prep ( Alliyah's old school) and Plays for KIA Nurse's Team.. Now
we just need a commit from Toby and Sarah ( the Strong one )11

Reaction Score
Not every player on the floor has to take/make those shots. Gabby and Aaliyah are examples of improving as you move along, it’s something that she can develop.

In terms of hustle, rebounding, defense, running the floor, speed, she had advantage over any of the other Forwards UConn are looking at. This game made me a believer.
I’m still taking Strong! I think she is exactly what we need! A big strong yet still skilled banger. A bigger, stronger Morrow! I like Toby but between those two? I’m definitely taking Strong. Give me someone who’s gonna make players step out of the way when she drives the lane.

Reaction Score
I’m still taking Strong! I think she is exactly what we need! A big strong yet still skilled banger. A bigger, stronger Morrow! I like Toby but between those two? I’m definitely taking Strong. Give me someone who’s gonna make players step out of the way when she drives the lane.
Forgive me for wanting both.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for wanting both.
Why have one ( letter of intent).... when you can (wish for) and maybe get two!
I again surprised myself ( this often happens! ) by the fact that
both Sarah Strong and Toby Lee Fournier are both 6'2"!!! Toby
has been noted as being 6' 2" , 6' 3", and 6' 4", but the Canadian
Girls, 2022 U17 roster has her as 6' 2"... so I'll go with that. She
surely can "fly" into those dunks! Go Toby, Go Sarah.

Reaction Score
ESPN HoopGurlz has updated their rankings. Kate Koval is now ranked #3 in the class of 2024, and her teammate at Long Island Lutheran High School, Kayleigh Heckel, has made a huge jump from 50 to 22. Sarah Strong is ranked 5, and Adhel Tac is ranked 21. Toby Fournier is ranked 13.

Zakiyah Johnson is ranked second in the class of 2025.

Reaction Score
D647E334-1508-44A0-BB5A-1F380CC1919D.jpeg
1924A3DA-386D-4899-96A6-B5ACB30FFC3E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Agreed............I'm tired of watching UConn's skilled but undersized players get mauled under the basket..........Strong's physical presence and skills are a gamechanger.........that said I'd be thrilled but surprised if Geno could bring her to Storrs

Reaction Score
Strong and Tac or Koval is what I'm expecting to hear. Then Geno's work is done for this cycle.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kelis Fisher was elevated from #22 to #18 in the 2025 rankings.

Other movement in ESPN's rankings noted by Shane Laflin:

No. 12 Imari Berry out of Clarksville High School in Tennessee went on a scoring tear this year. She is long and bouncy and plays the game with a zest and flair that adds entertainment value. She has supreme ball skills, deep range on her 3, the ability to pull up and knock down jumpers, and is a playmaking passer. Previous ranking: 32

No. 22 Kayleigh Heckel of Long Island Lutheran saw her game grow and her ranking rise. She refined her point guard attributes and really separates herself with her athleticism and continual motor, especially on the defensive end. Previous ranking: 50

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Laflin's article is a whos who of UConn POI:

Justice Carlton (Seven Lakes HS, Texas) is strong and skilled and comfortable all over the floor. She handles the ball well and does a great job on the glass and anticipating defensively. Her face-up game is what sets her apart. She carries herself with a confidence many do not have. She may not be the highest jumper or fastest sprinter, but she is a hooper.

Sarah Strong (Grace Academy, North Carolina) is the most fundamentally skilled of this group. She is by far the best passer and her feel for the entire floor is unmatched in the class. She has a silky touch out to the 3-point line and handles the ball like a point guard. Of the group, we have seen Strong in the fewest of the elite matchups, which leaves much anticipation for the summer season.

Kennedy Smith (Ewitanda HS, California) is the best outright athlete of this group in terms of the combination of strength, power, speed, lateral quickness and leaping ability. She brings a presence to the floor with how locked in and intense she is defensively -- she can guard one through five and utilizes her gifts and acumen to excel in all matchups. The fact she grabs rebounds at rim level but also burns opponents with corner 3's makes her a matchup problem.

Toby Fournier (Crestwood Prep, Canada) has skyrocketed in terms of skill this year. Known for her leaping ability and ease of dunking the basketball (two hands tomahawk style, mind you), early on she played based on her activity level and nose for the ball. She has gone to work this year on her ballhandling, shooting and decision-making and now adds a methodical element to her play. Seeing her match up with any of the aforementioned forwards would be must-see TV.

Imari Berry (Clarksville HS, Tennessee) is on a mission this summer. She has joined a new club team, United Family of the adidas 3SSB circuit, and has her sights set on a continual rise. She is a naturally gifted scorer who is incredibly hard to guard off the bounce. She plays with a flair that brings a buzz to the floor and since she is no secret to opponents now, she should see some focused defensive effort -- a good challenge for her in a tougher schedule. Berry's recruitment includes schools from every power conference, from South Carolina Gamecocks to UConn to Arizona Wildcats.

Adhel Tac (South Grand Prairie HS, Texas) and her high school squad lined up quite the schedule early on in the season. They played in major ESPN events as well as the Capital Invitational and She Got Game Classic in Washington, D.C. Tac leaves an impression beyond the physical aspect. She talks and leads and brings a competitive energy that leaves an intangible effect as well. She is long and tall (6-foot-5) and alters everything in the paint. She rebounds well in area, but can grow into someone who reads the ball and clears space to claim rebounds in a greater space. She has nice touch around the rim and as she continues to add strength to her base, will finish better. One could argue she still has the most potential in the class at this position, but the time is now to prove that with the production.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ESPN has supposedly created their first 2026 ranking list but it's not showing at the moment. Laflin breaks down some of the players in that article.

UCONN POI include #2 Jayla Jackson and #3 Olivia Vukosa. Almost sure-to-be POI McKenna Woliczko is #4.

Reaction Score
ESPN has supposedly created their first 2026 ranking list but it's not showing at the moment. Laflin breaks down some of the players in that article.

UCONN POI include #2 Jayla Jackson and #3 Olivia Vukosa. Almost sure-to-be POI McKenna Woliczko is #4.
#1 Jerzy Robinson as well.

10D6A744-3006-4AA2-82D6-8F0F6ED6C658.jpeg

Reaction Score
Kelis Fisher was elevated from #22 to #18 in the 2025 rankings.

Other movement in ESPN's rankings noted by Shane Laflin:

No. 12 Imari Berry out of Clarksville High School in Tennessee went on a scoring tear this year. She is long and bouncy and plays the game with a zest and flair that adds entertainment value. She has supreme ball skills, deep range on her 3, the ability to pull up and knock down jumpers, and is a playmaking passer. Previous ranking: 32

No. 22 Kayleigh Heckel of Long Island Lutheran saw her game grow and her ranking rise. She refined her point guard attributes and really separates herself with her athleticism and continual motor, especially on the defensive end. Previous ranking: 50
Someone needs to let Laflin know that his #3 PG, Olivia Olson, is no more of a PG than Caroline Ducharme is. Actually she probably won't even be a guard at Michigan.

Reaction Score

All definitely worth watching. But my interest in "The Big O" knows no limits. :cool:

Reaction Score
Agreed............I'm tired of watching UConn's skilled but undersized players get mauled under the basket..........Strong's physical presence and skills are a gamechanger.........that said I'd be thrilled but surprised if Geno could bring her to Storrs
I would also be thrilled... but not Surprised!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom