AP Poll - Week 7 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Week 7

Reaction Score
There is no talk about St. John’s and their chances to upset us? They lost once only.
i mean, have you looked at their schedule? they haven't beaten a single good team. they lost to the one decent team they played, which just so happens to be the iowa state team that we routed.

not saying they can't or won't beat us -- i actually think we are most vulnerable against a team like st. john's that pressures the hell out of the ball -- but they haven't done a whole ton to warrant the discussion.

Reaction Score
i mean, have you looked at their schedule? they haven't beaten a single good team. they lost to the one decent team they played, which just so happens to be the iowa state team that we routed.

not saying they can't or won't beat us -- i actually think we are most vulnerable against a team like st. john's that pressures the hell out of the ball -- but they haven't done a whole ton to warrant the discussion.
So where do you have them finishing in the BE?

Reaction Score
Rather than worry about the possibility that any BE team can beat UConn, I think the concern should be is the BE conference schedule good enough to prepare this team for the postseason? Past UConn runs have benefitted from playing quality teams & getting better throughout the season. That's where quality and strength of a conference truly matters.

The plus side of being & staying highly ranked is we'll get everyone's best effort regardless making every game a test - Butler kind of did this & hung for 3/4 of game - that will sharpen the team.

Reaction Score
Spoiled brats. Geez let it happen who cares about Purdue and who's #1 on the 19th of December. Let's keep winning games it will all take care of itself if we do.

I've said this before when I was buying the paper years and years ago hoping to see UCONN in the "Others receiving votes" in the AP Top 20 poll. Now we're 2nd and people are whining. If our guys are that good the time will come, and it's best ini April anyway not now. Relax!

Reaction Score
So where do you have them finishing in the BE?
guessing somewhere in the middle? i think uconn, xavier, and marquette have all played better than SJU so far. i would put nova in that tier too, now that whitmore is back.

the bottom of the league is depaul and georgetown. i think that everyone else is most likely to finish between 5th and 9th.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Spoiled brats. Geez let it happen who cares about Purdue and who's #1 on the 19th of December. Let's keep winning games it will all take care of itself if we do.

I've said this before when I was buying the paper years and years ago hoping to see UCONN in the "Others receiving votes" in the AP Top 20 poll. Now we're 2nd and people are whining. If our guys are that good the time will come, and it's best ini April anyway not now. Relax!
I might have to leave this board for my mental health.

Reaction Score

Thanks MA. Sometimes some of us get a bit carried away and need some perspective. But i do like seeing a 1 next to our name. Its been sooo long. :D

Reaction Score

What he said but in a calmer voice. Who cares about #1 or #2. UConn is back. We are relevant again in college basketball. We are really freaking good and have a chance to do some special things this season. And that's all that matters. Let's be #1 when it counts in March/April. Just enjoy this ride!!!!!!

MJ1

Reaction Score
he missed out on player of the week to souley boum.

boum had really impressive numbers (28/7/7 with 4 steals) but xavier played GEORGETOWN. stats against georgetown shouldn't count towards potw contention.
Other player of the year candidates will have the same advantages when they play Georgetown thanks to Big East balanced schedule which has each team playing each other home and away.?

Reaction Score
We've reached a point in the season where it's only reasonable to rank one of two teams No. 1 — Purdue or UConn.

That's it.

Those are the only two schools with undefeated records, super-strong computer numbers and at least four Quadrant 1 victories. So when the Associated Press Top 25 poll updates Monday, I'll be shocked if anybody other than Purdue or UConn receives one of the 62 first-place votes. Again, every other team's resume is flawed in a way Purdue's and UConn's isn't, either with a loss or a lack of quality victories.

Matt Painter's Boilermakers remain No. 1 in Monday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings — but I have no issue with anybody who puts Dan Hurley's Huskies ahead of them. Either order is defensible considering both teams are 4-0 in Quadrant 1 opportunities. If you want to argue in favor of Purdue, start by noting that the Boilermakers have three wins over schools ranked in the top 15 of the NET compared to UConn's one. If you want to argue in favor of UConn, start by noting that the Huskies have beaten every opponent by double-digits, including the Alabama team that won at Houston. In other words, Purdue has more wins over top-tier teams but UConn has been more consistently overwhelming for its opponents. Both have been great.

As I've stated many times, I'm just going to leave Purdue and UConn No. 1 and No. 2 in the Top 25 And 1, and in that order, until one of them loses. Eventually, one of them — and probably both of them — will fall. But it should be noted that KenPom.com currently projects the Boilermakers and Huskies to be favored in every game they will play between now and Selection Sunday. That's wild regardless of the context but especially so when you consider that neither team was ranked in the AP preseason Top 25 poll.

Reaction Score
What he said but in a calmer voice. Who cares about #1 or #2. UConn is back. We are relevant again in college basketball. We are really freaking good and have a chance to do some special things this season. And that's all that matters. Let's be #1 when it counts in March/April. Just enjoy this ride!!!!!!

That was calm nadav:cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lets make sure we fill the place and welcome the #2 team Tuesday
It's at Gample so we don't know. Meanwhile the XL game with Villanova is sold out.

Reaction Score
Other player of the year candidates will have the same advantages when they play Georgetown thanks to Big East balanced schedule which has each team playing each other home and away.?
???? we were talking about "player of the week" not "player of the year"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This whole discussion is BS
Purdue is #1, rightfully or not, and will be #1 until they lose
What is the big deal about being #1 at this point of the season?
Unless you haven't been a fan before 2014, I don't get it
UConn needs to just take care of business and let the dolts who vote have their fun.
No team is going undefeated so there will be movement all season.
The key is to get a good seating in the dance and win a damned game - first things first

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This whole discussion is BS
Purdue is #1, rightfully or not, and will be #1 until they lose
What is the big deal about being #1 at this point of the season?
Unless you haven't been a fan before 2014, I don't get it
UConn needs to just take care of business and let the dolts who vote have their fun.
No team is going undefeated so there will be movement all season.
The key is to get a good seating in the dance and win a damned game - first things first
First things first - it's "seeding," not "seating."

I'll take the rest of your post as a combination of futile attempts to control the narrative, and a rhetorical question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It’s not like we didn’t win our last two national titles while being ranked quite a bit lower. My main memory of being #2 was UConn going to KC to play Kansas at Kemper and getting handled. So I think the worst think we can do is be cocky right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom