OT: - Another Corona Drinking Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Another Corona Drinking Question

Reaction Score
Ok I have retired for year and a half. Live in NC which is a bad corona state. Take it very seriously, socialize with 2 other households who are as concerned as me. Leave house once a week for supermarket.
Are 3 bottles of wine and 1or 2 six packs a week too much? I normally drink alone (like Boyd Crowder In Justified)

ps. Ativan is great for any hangover.

I guess I drink maybe from boredom, anxiety with the pandemic, but mostly drinking and playing online cards is awesome.

anything for me to be concerned with? Please don’t respond with, “If you think you have a drinking problem then you probably do”.
My advice: keep mixing benzos and booze cuz then you can't lose.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Things that make you go hmmmm:

46EAF840-A4AF-494D-8EA7-864CF1274517.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It cracks me up seeing the warning that "alcohol may intensify the effects of this medication."

Reeeeally? Thank you for that ... It kind of reads more as a suggestion than a warning.
IKR? Just like the driving or
operating heavy machinery warnings.

Reaction Score
Ok I have retired for year and a half. Live in NC which is a bad corona state. Take it very seriously, socialize with 2 other households who are as concerned as me. Leave house once a week for supermarket.
Are 3 bottles of wine and 1or 2 six packs a week too much? I normally drink alone (like Boyd Crowder In Justified)

ps. Ativan is great for any hangover.

I guess I drink maybe from boredom, anxiety with the pandemic, but mostly drinking and playing online cards is awesome.

anything for me to be concerned with? Please don’t respond with, “If you think you have a drinking problem then you probably do”.
I have no expertise in the drinking area . But, just speculation here, if you are getting hangovers on a regular basis, doesn't that by definition, mean you are overdoing it? You don't get a hangover from moderate drinking as far as I know.

Check with your doctor or pharmacist (they know better than anyone else) if taking atavan to mitigate the after effects of alcohol can have adverse effects on your body.

But, have you considered going out more to find a walking track, even daily. That can't hurt you, would get you out, and give you something else to do. Wearing a headset and listening to your favorite music would be enjoyable. I do this myself.

I don't do this, but a lot of people enjoy puzzles. Maybe computer games would be another diversion.

Sound like you need to find more things to do.

I wish you well.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The easiest way to know if it is a problem or not is if you can stop yourself from drinking / control yourself while drinking. Are you able to have just 2 beers and be done? Can you take a Friday night off and not even think about having a beer? Is it a "need" feeling (physical) or a "want" feeling (mental) when you start drinking?

I have had my struggles with alcohol and was in therapy for a while to help control it. I knew it became a problem and time to get help not because of the amount I was drinking (which still wasn't healthy) but because I lost all control over my ability to not / stop drinking. Professionals can call it what they want, I guess it would be labeled as "high functioning alcoholism". I never drank during the day, only after work hours, some nights until 1AM or 2AM. Had a lot of hangovers but it never affected my job (the worst year of my addiction I was the #3 salesperson globally at a Fortune 500 company) but it definitely affected my personal relationships and my physical and mental health.

Long story short, if you feel like you are in control while you are drinking (even though its more than any doctor would "recommend") you're probably good as long as it isn't having any negative health effects. If you feel like you don't have control over it, then its probably time to get some help.

DM me if you (or anyone else on here) have questions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't do this, but a lot of people enjoy puzzles. Maybe computer games would be another diversion.
I say he should combine the two and start playing the horses. It's the perfect pastime when your staying at home. It's mental exercise combined with excitement and potential profits. There's a race going off pretty much around the clock.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Holed up with my in-laws entire family (10 adults 5 kids and 4 daily visitors) in a cabin in Maine until the 27th. Picked up some good Portland craft staff but at the rate I’m going to be going I had to switch to Mich Ultra.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Assuming regular and even distribution and not bingeing.

3 + 1 six = 18-21 drinks per week or 2-3 drinks per day. More than I would.

3 + 2 six = 24-27 drinks per week or 3-4 per day.

Fine for me if I'm on vacation, though I probably wouldn't hit the upper limit.

Since you're not on vacation, I would ask myself why I'm drinking that much and how it's affecting the rest of my time.

Reaction Score
A .750 liter bottle of whine = 5 drinks, and a can of beer = 1 drink.

There's a lot more whining going on in the BY so that does indeed makes us drunkards.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It cracks me up seeing the warning that "alcohol may intensify the effects of this medication."

Reeeeally? Thank you for that ... It kind of reads more as a suggestion than a warning.

Not sure if all this is being said tongue in cheek, but that is actually a pretty serious mixture ... depending of course on the time they're taken. He suggested he took it the day after so if the alcohol is mostly out of your system, that's fine. But I am prescribed some similar anti-anxiety meds and they can have a half life of up to 40 or 50 hours in your system, so if I think I'm going to drink I don't take any for at least a day or two. Those things are nothing to mess with.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Not even close to a problem. Unless you’re drinking hard liquor before noon on a daily basis, or being drunk/hungover is costing you your profession, relationships, or drivers license, it’s not a problem IMO. I drink a few beers every night. On game days and at parties it’s more than a few. I took the alcoholic questionnaire once and was like 2 yes answers away from being an alcoholic. However, I disagree with some of the questions. For example, there’s a question that asks “do you look forward to a drink at the end of the day?” How in the world is answering yes to that question (which I did) any indicator or being an alcoholic!? I wake up early, go to work, handle all my business, and then crush a few beers with dinner. Wake up and do it again.

Reaction Score
The only time I ever drink soda is at a New Haven-area pizza joint. Always Foxon Park Gasossa. My kids like the White Birch.
The white birch is what we would always get, haven't tried the Gasossa. I love the taste of soda, especially specialty craft sodas but the sugar and caffeine doesn't agree with me. Those New Haven pizzas and Foxon Park sodas are a match made in heaven.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The only time I ever drink soda is at a New Haven-area pizza joint. Always Foxon Park Gasossa. My kids like the White Birch.

You guys are talking club soda right? Sounds gross, but to each their own. I always drink pop with my pizza ...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not even close to a problem. Unless you’re drinking hard liquor before noon on a daily basis, or being drunk/hungover is costing you your profession, relationships, or drivers license, it’s not a problem IMO. I drink a few beers every night. On game days and at parties it’s more than a few. I took the alcoholic questionnaire once and was like 2 yes answers away from being an alcoholic. However, I disagree with some of the questions. For example, there’s a question that asks “do you look forward to a drink at the end of the day?” How in the world is answering yes to that question (which I did) any indicator or being an alcoholic!? I wake up early, go to work, handle all my business, and then crush a few beers with dinner. Wake up and do it again.

Agreed. If people actually went by the medical definition of alcoholism then I’d bet half of the US adult population would be considered alcoholics lol. Questions like “do you look forward to a drink at the end of the day” are equally as stupid as an indicator.

IMO, wanting to drink alcohol (conscious choice), even every day, isn’t alcoholism. Physically and/or mentally needing to drink alcohol (compulsory action) is when it crosses into “alcoholism” territory.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed. If people actually went by the medical definition of alcoholism then I’d bet half of the US adult population would be considered alcoholics lol. Questions like “do you look forward to a drink at the end of the day” are equally as stupid as an indicator.

IMO, wanting to drink alcohol (conscious choice), even every day, isn’t alcoholism. Physically and/or mentally needing to drink alcohol (compulsory action) is when it crosses into “alcoholism” territory.

Gotta remember the diagnosis of alcoholism isn't just to baseline how much is too much to drink. There are well documented long-term physical and psychological consequences for the 4-5 drinks per sitting person vice the 2-3 drinks. Everything from slowing down metabolism and not burning calories to high blood pressure, poor decision making which is very strongly linked to increased violence both by you and to you and a host of other.
Also, as others have mentioned, overall health, empty stomach/dehydration, taking other meds and even rest can accelerate the effects of alcohol. Not much out there other than time that slows down the effects.

I ain't no saint on this issue and I definitely believe there is a wide gap between heavy drinkers who drink for a buzz and alcoholics who cannot control what they do but the numbers don't lie when it comes to how much is too much.

Reaction Score

No. No. You are definitely an alcoholic.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Gotta remember the diagnosis of alcoholism isn't just to baseline how much is too much to drink. There are well documented long-term physical and psychological consequences for the 4-5 drinks per sitting person vice the 2-3 drinks. Everything from slowing down metabolism and not burning calories to high blood pressure, poor decision making which is very strongly linked to increased violence both by you and to you and a host of other.
Also, as others have mentioned, overall health, empty stomach/dehydration, taking other meds and even rest can accelerate the effects of alcohol. Not much out there other than time that slows down the effects.

I ain't no saint on this issue and I definitely believe there is a wide gap between heavy drinkers who drink for a buzz and alcoholics who cannot control what they do but the numbers don't lie when it comes to how much is too much.

Also agree with this. Alcohol can obviously impact someones physical and mental health, especially with heavy use over the long-run. But if the question is "do I need help for my drinking?" (or more pointedly, "am I an alcoholic?"), especially if they are otherwise healthy, I think the answer lies in the asker's ability to control their use of alcohol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom