Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Geno is just over 6 feet tall, and she’s taller than him in this pic. Maybe 6’2”?....don’t ask me to covert that to Bria Hartley measurements
Ha! Geno isn't anywhere close to 6 feet tall.

Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Griffin
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards/Griffin
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

I realize that a lot of chips have to fall in place, but that 2020 team could arguably be the most talent ever at UConn. 3 #1 ranked players, 8 Top 5 ranked players, and 2 blue chip international players.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By the way. Something to ponder. Has it occurred to anyone that Ania’s Social Media post thanking her previous team and others has a very similar feel to Evina’s post thanking TN? I know it’s not uncommon for players to make such posts when leaving a school or team, but I wonder if Makurat & Westbrook are receiving advice from the same PR firm founded by a short Italian guy and a very tall lady. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Welcome Ms Makurat

hella-kewl.jpg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
WOOHOO!!! This is such great news and will provide much needed depth next year. I suspected this was coming, as did many fans, since it probably had a direct impact on Mikayla's decision to leave. So looking forward to seeing her suit up and play/learn/grow at UCONN!

I feel the same as you with some relief. However, I hear a little voice saying isn't this how you felt when Walker, Gordon, AEH, and Coombs committed to UCONN? Hopefully this time it will be better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree. I actually think it would be Westbrook that helped Coombs make her decision not Ania who is a natural 3 player. We should know soon. I can't think Westbrook would make an announcement until she leaves campus for the semester. No way I would want to make a UConn announcement and then still have to walk around the Tenn campus for a couple weeks until finals are over.
TN Finals run 4/30 through 5/7. So I guess we'll see what happens after that.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I felt that Geno had a few players up his sleeve for next year. Clearly the photo was likely taken when Geno was in Europe prior to the Big Dance. Geno and Ania have been sitting on this until after the end of her season.
Ania currently looks like the 5th starter next year unless and until Geno pulls another player from under his other sleeve.....

I hope his sleeve is really long! Long as 6'5" or more! ;):rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can't wait until she comes to Storrs and we can get some interview footage. :D

Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

I realize that a lot of chips have to fall in place, but that 2020 team could arguably be the most talent ever at UConn. 3 #1 ranked players, 8 Top 5 ranked players, and 2 blue chip international players.
I could imagine. Last season we had 3 #1 ranked players, and 6 ranked in the top 7. Our problem isn't monopolizing the top recruits and impressively stacking the roster.

Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

Talk about counting chicken before they hatch.

Reaction Score
Not sure where everyone is getting this feeling of Cooks coming to UCONN.. but if she did and we ended up with Westbrook that would be the 1, 2, and 5 player in that class... that would be a power class especially if Geno can get them to produce together.

I also do not see why Westbrook would not be available to play next season... the changing of the coach is a big deal and in the past has been a valid reason to grant immediate playing time after the transfer.

Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

What happened to Aubrey Griffin. (2019) I'm sure you want to replace "Cooks" with Griffin.

I'm just happy that now UConn has the 10 players for 2019, so they can practice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What happened to Aubrey Griffin. (2019) I'm sure you want to replace "Cooks" with Griffin.

I'm just happy that now UConn has the 10 players for 2019, so they can practice. :rolleyes:

where do you get 10? I count 9 for 2019 right now: CD, Bent, Irwin, Camara, Walker, Williams, Ono, Makurat, Griffin.... am I missing someone?

Reaction Score
where do you get 10? I count 9 for 2019 right now: CD, Bent, Irwin, Camara, Walker, Williams, Ono, Makurat, Griffin.... am I missing someone?

You're right, @soxfan23 really screwed me up with his...'could you even imagine 2019...". He also has Westbrook in his "want" list...my apologies...but stay tuned, hopefully we'll get to 10 before season starts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. I actually think it would be Westbrook that helped Coombs make her decision not Ania who is a natural 3 player. We should know soon. I can't think Westbrook would make an announcement until she leaves campus for the semester. No way I would want to make a UConn announcement and then still have to walk around the Tenn campus for a couple weeks until finals are over.

That sir is an excellent observation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure where everyone is getting this feeling of Cooks coming to UCONN.. but if she did and we ended up with Westbrook that would be the 1, 2, and 5 player in that class... that would be a power class especially if Geno can get them to produce together.
I also do not see why Westbrook would not be available to play next season... the changing of the coach is a big deal and in the past has been a valid reason to grant immediate playing time after the transfer.
Let's get Westbrook committed first and start the process. Be prepared for an "inexplicable outcome" because this is the NCAA we are dealing with. A coaching change has never been a valid reason to grant immediate eligibility for enrolled student athlete. Maybe I'm missing something, so can you please cite an example where a coaching change resulted in immediate eligibility for and enrolled student athlete in WCBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The parallels between Nika's and Anna's recruitment are striking:

Makurat first learned of UConn when she was about 10 years old when she was told she had a similar style of play to UConn great Diana Taurasi.

“I wanted to know everything about her so I started with watching her highlights,” Makurat said by phone Wednesday. “And then I started to watch UConn’s games and Coach Geno’s interviews...It was my dream school to commit to. I never thought this was possible.”

Makurat said when UConn began recruiting her, “I couldn’t believe it.”

“I thought it was a joke and that somebody was really kidding me,” she said. “Then I started to talk with [Auriemma]. I liked his dedication to his work and how he worked with details. I love what he is doing.”
Auriemma visited Makurat and her family in their home once and she laughed, saying that “my family still cannot imagine that it happened.”

“He told us about the team and the history,” she said “which I already knew, but I was so excited I that I heard it from him and that I finally got to meet him.”

Makurat had been playing for a Polish club, Arka Gdynia, for the last two years where she played against experienced players.
“I think the level of basketball here is high, so I don’t think I will need a lot of time” to adjust, "

Reaction Score
Anna is not only a great passer, but can use her off hand, is not afraid of contact when driving to the basket and snatches rebounds instead of waiting for them to come to her. Seems to be a very sound and strong player all around.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Hmmm. another eastern European player! Hope it works out as well as the first time!

Geno: Anna, defense, defense, defense!

Anna: Vat? I not come 4,081 miles to play defense. I come to shoot ze basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let's get Westbrook committed first and start the process. Be prepared for an "inexplicable outcome" because this is the NCAA we are dealing with. A coaching change has never been a valid reason to grant immediate eligibility for enrolled student athlete. Maybe I'm missing something, so can you please cite an example where a coaching change resulted in immediate eligibility for and enrolled student athlete in WCBB.

How about coaching malpractice? That sounds like the perfect hardship waiver. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just incredible!!! Overseas kids knew all about UConn since they were 10 and dreamed of playing for UConn!!! Just hope Anna and Nika will have a wonderful and successful stay at Storrs, CT. It will be hard but what a time it will be for them!!!

How can anybody forget Svetlana Abrosimova!!!!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom