Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The parallels between Nika's and Anna's recruitment are striking:
Makurat first learned of UConn when she was about 10 years old when she was told she had a similar style of play to UConn great Diana Taurasi.
“I wanted to know everything about her so I started with watching her highlights,” Makurat said by phone Wednesday. “And then I started to watch UConn’s games and Coach Geno’s interviews...It was my dream school to commit to. I never thought this was possible.”
Makurat said when UConn began recruiting her, “I couldn’t believe it.”
“I thought it was a joke and that somebody was really kidding me,” she said. “Then I started to talk with [Auriemma]. I liked his dedication to his work and how he worked with details. I love what he is doing.”
Auriemma visited Makurat and her family in their home once and she laughed, saying that “my family still cannot imagine that it happened.”
“He told us about the team and the history,” she said “which I already knew, but I was so excited I that I heard it from him and that I finally got to meet him.”
Makurat had been playing for a Polish club, Arka Gdynia, for the last two years where she played against experienced players.
“I think the level of basketball here is high, so I don’t think I will need a lot of time” to adjust, "
Very interesting tidbit/teaser at the end of this article.
"It’s still possible UConn could grab another member of the 2019 class with a handful of open scholarships. That said, top 100 ranked players by ESPN have all committed, so Auriemma would have to continue his search oversees or take in a grad transfer to play immediately. It is also possible the team could add a transfer that may have to sit out a season, but join Bueckers, Muhl and the rest of the remaining Huskies for the 2020-21 season."

The author has clearly spoken to Geno and Geno is still out there working. Buona fortuna Geno!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How about coaching malpractice? That sounds like the perfect hardship waiver. :rolleyes:
All kidding aside coaching changes might qualify as " circumstance beyond the control of the player" which is a new criteria for immediate eligibility as of April 2018.
A separate criteria " detrimental to welfare of the student athlete" might apply to the Georgia Tech and North Carolina situations (coaching changes) where verbal abuse, breech of medical confidentiality, racial insensitivity, and pressuring SA to return to play before being healthy were established & document.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very interesting tidbit/teaser at the end of this article.
"It’s still possible UConn could grab another member of the 2019 class with a handful of open scholarships. That said, top 100 ranked players by ESPN have all committed, so Auriemma would have to continue his search oversees or take in a grad transfer to play immediately. It is also possible the team could add a transfer that may have to sit out a season, but join Bueckers, Muhl and the rest of the remaining Huskies for the 2020-21 season."

The author has clearly spoken to Geno and Geno is still out there working. Buona fortuna Geno!

Yes, I did not want to muddy the message of Welcome Anna, but I too took this to mean the Geno shark is still in the waters and he remains hungry.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All kidding aside coaching changes might qualify as " circumstance beyond the control of the player" which is a new criteria for immediate eligibility as of April 2018.
A separate criteria " detrimental to welfare of the student athlete" might apply to the Georgia Tech and North Carolina situations (coaching changes) where verbal abuse, breech of medical confidentiality, racial insensitivity, and pressuring SA to return to play before being healthy were established & document.

I also think if I recall, Evina's family (and her I suppose) were having some online issues with some fans and if so, we probably only heard about the tip of the iceberg. A paper trail like that would be very convincing.

Even her video at the end of season discussing the need for changes may be viewed as evidence of hardship.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Just incredible!!! Overseas kids knew all about UConn since they were 10 and dreamed of playing for UConn!!! Just hope Anna and Nika will have a wonderful and successful stay at Storrs, CT. It will be hard but what a time it will be for them!!!

How can anybody forget Svetlana Abrosimova!!!!
I sure have not-- re: avatar

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I could argue that the same criteria could apply to Westbrook's situation at TN considering the withering abuse she received on various social media platforms.

Reaction Score
She helps for 2019, right?
Yahoo, three cheers for GENO. HIP HIP HURAY/ 4 Cheers for ANNA!!!!
Be still my heart. 6 ft or 6 ft 1. Is GOOD.
She was standing in a hole. She's actually 6'5" !
Geno WAS standing in a hole,,,,, no longer!! Big positive step for November. This one is a CATCH!!! Thanks Anna welcome aboard the cruise ship Storrs this will be a pleasure cruise but hold on tight these waters tend to get bumpy..

Reaction Score
How good is she. I understand she has been playing with professionals so that sounds good. The only video I’ve seen the competition looked weak. So I can’t tell much. What do all you good people know and think about how good she will be

Reaction Score
How good is she. I understand she has been playing with professionals so that sounds good. The only video I’ve seen the competition looked weak. So I can’t tell much. What do all you good people know and think about how good she will be
I prefer to think the positive on Anna.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

It's definitely not any weaker than the high school competition of most incoming freshmen -- perhaps even all of them. I'd also argue that playing with Poland's U20 team has given her some experience with other top European talent, and that will factor into her transition, too. She's not going to be the star next year, IMO, but, for a freshman, she's going to be a really solid, dependable option.

Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

I realize that a lot of chips have to fall in place, but that 2020 team could arguably be the most talent ever at UConn. 3 #1 ranked players, 8 Top 5 ranked players, and 2 blue chip international players.
Stewie, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse, Williams, Collier, KLS, and Chong were as talented as any team Uconn has had.

Reaction Score
It's definitely not any weaker than the high school competition of most incoming freshmen -- perhaps even all of them. I'd also argue that playing with Poland's U20 team has given her some experience with other top European talent, and that will factor into her transition, too. She's not going to be the star next year, IMO, but, for a freshman, she's going to be a really solid, dependable option.

Any comparison to Kia Nurse??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No one knows for sure how "good" any of the kids will be until Geno gets the chance to coach them up.

Aubrey Griffin is ranked anywhere from 20-90 or so (I think she's about 20 on ASGR). Yet... she was one of the last 4 cut when trying out for the Team USA U17 or U18 team. Of the final 12, Fudd and Brink made the team ahead of Griffin - and they are a year younger. So in theory, one could argue that there are 10 or so players "better" than Griffin in her class.

Point is the momentum Griffin seems to be generating indicates she's close to a top 15 kid, nowhere near the 90 or so that Prospects Nation has her.

I don't know if Makurat is considered as good as Nurse. Most of us thought Nurse was a legit top 10 kid in her class, and her career at UCONN pretty much proved that. If I had to guess, I'd say Makurat is at least in the top 20 of her class compared to the Americans. Probably the same for Muhl. BUT it's much harder with foreign kids so it's really just speculation and hypothesis based on film and success. Makurat did play for the Polish team in the FIBA worlds - I think the U17 teams, and played well.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Could you even imagine?

1 Dangerfield/Bent
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook
4 Walker/Irwin
5 Cooks/ONO/Camara

1 Bueckers/Muhl
2 Williams/Makurat
3 Westbrook/Edwards
4 Walker/Cooks
5 ONO/Gusters

I realize that a lot of chips have to fall in place, but that 2020 team could arguably be the most talent ever at UConn. 3 #1 ranked players, 8 Top 5 ranked players, and 2 blue chip international players.
Did I miss the announcement that Westbrook had committed to the Huskies? Or maybe it's in one of the threads that I Ignored. Hmm.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would be one happy camper to have a Kelly Fais-type on the team. We have scorers but a defender/facilitator would be excellent

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I would be one happy camper to have a Kelly Fais-type on the team. We have scorers but a defender/facilitator would be excellent

Agreed! There is very little in her highlight films from the defensive end.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a full game from this season and spend some time paying attention to what she's up to on defense and report back...

Reaction Score
No one knows for sure how "good" any of the kids will be until Geno gets the chance to coach them up.

Aubrey Griffin is ranked anywhere from 20-90 or so (I think she's about 20 on ASGR). Yet... she was one of the last 4 cut when trying out for the Team USA U17 or U18 team. Of the final 12, Fudd and Brink made the team ahead of Griffin - and they are a year younger. So in theory, one could argue that there are 10 or so players "better" than Griffin in her class.

Point is the momentum Griffin seems to be generating indicates she's close to a top 15 kid, nowhere near the 90 or so that Prospects Nation has her.

I don't know if Makurat is considered as good as Nurse. Most of us thought Nurse was a legit top 10 kid in her class, and her career at UCONN pretty much proved that. If I had to guess, I'd say Makurat is at least in the top 20 of her class compared to the Americans. Probably the same for Muhl. BUT it's much harder with foreign kids so it's really just speculation and hypothesis based on film and success. Makurat did play for the Polish team in the FIBA worlds - I think the U17 teams, and played well.

I was looking more at the experience she brings playing in worlds and against older players. I try not to compare player vs player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Anna is not a good defender. I’d say she’s like Lou in that regard.

Carl Adamec has some quotes from Jas Thomas on twitter. Jas played against Anna in the elite Polish league. Maybe someone can post. Remember Jas is judging Anna from the standpoint of a professional; Anna is a teenager about to start college.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I could argue that the same criteria could apply to Westbrook's situation at TN considering the withering abuse she received on various social media platforms.
I would disagree. Being on social media is optional for every WCBB player. Responding to criticism on social media is even more optional.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would disagree. Being on social media is optional for every WCBB player. Responding to criticism on social media is even more optional.
For you, me and Geno maybe, but for a younger generation, bullying and abuse on social media is a very real thing. Yes, Evina and her mother could both stay off social media, but when you consider that so many of her friends and family regularly use social media platforms, you are suggesting that she give up an important part of her life. The next thing you'll suggest is that she should start reading books rather than spending time tweeting. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For you, me and Geno maybe, but for a younger generation, bullying and abuse on social media is a very real thing. Yes, Evina and her mother could both stay off social media, but when you consider that so many of her friends and family regularly use social media platforms, you are suggesting that she give up an important part of her life. The next thing you'll suggest is that she should start reading books rather than spending time tweeting. :rolleyes:
What's tweeting. :rolleyes:
Bullying and abuse are very real things no doubt. In this case though, there is a much simpler solution than the one you suggest- it works much like the ignore feature on the BY.
Evina's mother does not figure into this. When Evina signed her initial scholarship agreement with TN, a parental signature was required. Thereafter that scholarship agreement was between Evina and TN- Evina is treated as an adult. Think of it this way and equate it to the BY. Is there a single UCONN player that has not been criticized here on the BY? It is my understanding that this is what was happening to her at TN.
Now if you took that to an extreme Mikayla or her mother could just pull out some of the post on the BY to support her application for immediate eligibility.

Reaction Score
Has a lot of finesse and swagger in her game. Really good shooter and penetrator.

What player would you compare her to based on her highlights?

And as for this commitment having an effect on 20/21 recruiting, it really doesn’t matter who’s already at and/or committed to UConn in my gut, honest opinion. When you want to play at UConn, you just do! I’ve always felt like we don’t want any recruits that don’t want to be there! All of the tradition, history, championships, all-americans, WNBA players speaks for themselves!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has a lot of finesse and swagger in her game. Really good shooter and penetrator.
Who player would you compare her to based on her highlights?
A cross between Tiffany Mitchell formerly of South Carolina and Sabrina Ionescu.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom