Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
What's tweeting. :rolleyes:
Bullying and abuse are very real things no doubt. In this case though, there is a much simpler solution than the one you suggest- it works much like the ignore feature on the BY.
Evina's mother does not figure into this. When Evina signed her initial scholarship agreement with TN, a parental signature was required. Thereafter that scholarship agreement was between Evina and TN- Evina is treated as an adult. Think of it this way and equate it to the BY. Is there a single UCONN player that has not been criticized here on the BY? It is my understanding that this is what was happening to her at TN.
Now if you took that to an extreme Mikayla or her mother could just pull out some of the post on the BY to support her application for immediate eligibility.

Thanks for this, Coco. Evina was honestly my favorite player and I’m very sad to see her go but truly do wish her the best. That being said, this story of her being “abused” by fans on social media has been blown WAY out of proportion. A handful of fans criticized her as a player...her skills, her limitations, and her mistakes...and that’s it. I never saw anything personal. The word “abused” just doesn’t feel appropriate in this situation.

Back to the topic...congrats on Anna. She seems like a great get. Hopefully we can give y’all a game this coming year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One aspect of Geno’s recruitment of Nika & Ania that is practically inconceivable for U.S. recruits is that both committed without ever visiting the campus. It’s a testimony to the reputation of UConn WBB in Europe and to just how much these young ladies wanted to develop their game by playing for the very best coaching staff on the planet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One aspect of Geno’s recruitment of Nika & Ania that is practically inconceivable for U.S. recruits is that both committed without ever visiting the campus. It’s a testimony to the reputation of UConn WBB in Europe and to just how much these young ladies wanted to develop their game by playing for the very best coaching staff on the planet.

I agree with the observation and UConn is blessed with a great staff.....BUT as Paige made plain too, the ultimate, defining draw was this guy called Geno. I don't need to see the campus. I just have to know that is where Geno is. Nika was very clear about how Geno visited and put her at ease and also taught her so much even in that one encounter. Ania/Anna was funny about the in home meeting “my family still cannot imagine that it happened.”

Geno, the Closer.

“No, it wasn’t hard to commit without visiting first,” Muhl said. “Thinking about UConn, I didn’t need a visit to prove to myself that I wanted to go there. I am just so excited to get to campus and see what it’s all about and get to work.” COLLEGE BEAT: Being first across the pond helped Geno bring Croatia star to Storrs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewie, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse, Williams, Collier, KLS, and Chong were as talented as any team Uconn has had.

I was strictly going off rankings, that team was loaded no doubt, but the proposed 2020 team that I listed is ranked higher.

Reaction Score
In Geno you should trust....the best recruiter and a throwback type coach...very bright of course...I believe I mentioned something similar a few months ago. Who thought that he was going to sit still with only 1 recruit signed? There should be a really nice mix for next year........the following season even stronger. Smart program, to say the least....hope he coaches a few more years.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Found this one in a source from Poland. She’s obviously really excited and I love it.

Here is the article, I hope the google translate link works for you all (it’s not a perfect translation, but better than most of our Polish). You can tell that there is A LOT of respect for the program Geno has built.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Geno bring her to Little Poland, New Britain, ct Staropolska Restaurant!

I’m partial to belvederes

Reaction Score
You can tell they are focused on basketball not the college life. I will also say that college in Europe is completely different. They don't have sports teams and all the campus perks. They are academic focused so I don't think culturally all the American college stuff matters as much to them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Man, this guy is turning an article into a life's work. Second revision Geno:

"I talked to her during her playoffs and she goes, ‘We lost by 30.’ I said, ‘What? Who’d you play?’ She named Tiffany Hayes and like three other pros," Auriemma said. "The average high school kid in America isn’t playing against that kind of competition. “She’s going to help us, obviously. She knows how to play and she’s athletic enough to fit into American basketball and smart enough and skilled enough to be a good player. Everyone I’ve talked to has said she’s as good as you can get.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’m partial to belvederes

My dad's 59, this horrible greenish shade - those horizontal fins - a total dog, but you could bowl in the back seat.

Reaction Score
Now Anna grows 1 inch more to 6'1" ...

The Huskies picked up a commitment from 6-foot-1 guard Anna Makurat, 19, who announced on Instagram she plans to play for UConn in the 2019-20 season.

“I am incredibly grateful and happy to announce that I committed to the University of Connecticut finally," she wrote on the post. "Those who know me well, know what an incredible journey it was to reach this very moment. I can’t wait for the next chapter! ... Today I want to tell all young players in Poland that it is worth setting goals, aiming for them and believing in what is “impossible.” Work hard and believe in your dreams! Let’s go Huskies”

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“I was trying to figure out what was going to be the best for me, but then I got messages from UConn. I had no doubt that was going to be the best,” Makurat, 19, said Wednesday by phone.

There was the possibility Makurat’s Polish team, Arka Gdynia, would offer her a monetary incentive to stay, thus making her ineligible for college. However, Makurat was dead set on joining the program she’s long rooted for.

“For sure they wanted me to stay,” Makurat said. “They were happy with how I played, how I performed. … When they heard that UConn (was interested), they didn’t have any problems and didn’t even offer me anything because they knew that I had already made my decision.”

Initially, Makurat seriously considered Oregon, saying she was “almost sure I was going to commit there.” She was also interested in South Florida, Ohio State and Utah, where her sister, Ola, will play after transferring from Liberty.

She didn’t spend anymore time wrestling over her decision, though, after UConn head coach Geno Auriemma visited her home on March 13.

“He’s like a rock star everywhere,” Makurat said. “It’s the best program in history, and I think he’s the best coach. I think it’s super special to meet him and talk with him and to be his player. It’s something special and I couldn’t imagine that someday it’s going to happen.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now Anna grows 1 inch more to 6'1" ...

The Huskies picked up a commitment from 6-foot-1 guard Anna Makurat, 19, who announced on Instagram she plans to play for UConn in the 2019-20 season.

“I am incredibly grateful and happy to announce that I committed to the University of Connecticut finally," she wrote on the post. "Those who know me well, know what an incredible journey it was to reach this very moment. I can’t wait for the next chapter! ... Today I want to tell all young players in Poland that it is worth setting goals, aiming for them and believing in what is “impossible.” Work hard and believe in your dreams! Let’s go Huskies”

I really, really like her message to all the little girls in Poland. And you better believe that for 4 years at UConn she'll be carrying those little girls aspirations with her.

Reaction Score
I'm somewhat confused. Ania (Anna) has been playing with "pro leagues" in Europe? (Tiffany Hayes, Jasmine Thomas..etc) I'm assuming she's earning some money for it? I'm assuming the NCAA has different rules of eligibility for foreign players than US counterparts? Is Ania considered a "professional" player? Sorry lots of questions but I think you know where I'm going with this...can anyone shed some light on this please?

Reaction Score
I really, really like her message to all the little girls in Poland. And you better believe that for 4 years at UConn she'll be carrying those little girls aspirations with her.

You mean UConn will get more Polish girls in the coming years? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm somewhat confused. Ania (Anna) has been playing with "pro leagues" in Europe? (Tiffany Hayes, Jasmine Thomas..etc) I'm assuming she's earning some money for it? I'm assuming the NCAA has different rules of eligibility for foreign players than US counterparts? Is Ania considered a "professional" player? Sorry lots of questions but I think you know where I'm going with this...can anyone shed some light on this please?

Not a 100% sure but I think she was on the team but not being paid (amateur status). In the article, she said that the team was going to offer a contract but after hearing about UConn, they said go with our blessings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom