Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Boy Geno is at his best when scrambling. Came in late on Nika and stole her away and just did the same with Ania. That charisma is going strong. :D

You sure it's not the garlic that's strong? :D

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not a 100% sure but I think she was on the team but not being paid (amateur status). In the article, she said that the team was going to offer a contract but after hearing about UConn, they said go with our blessings.

Correct. Much like Ezi Magbegor last year, Anna was playing w/out pay but her team could offer her some as incentive to stay.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has commented very pointedly on how hard it has become to find and recruit enthusiastic team players. I say the following without directing any of it to our recent commits from the good old USA, but: It is beyond refreshing to have Nika and Anna express their wonderment and joy to be embraced by Geno and the Husky program.

A sample:

“It was kind of impossible to me,” Makurat said. “I thought it was a joke and somebody was kidding me. It’s a dream come true. It was my dream program.”

Initially, Makurat seriously considered Oregon, saying she was “almost sure I was going to commit there.” She was also interested in South Florida, Ohio State and Utah, where her sister, Ola, will play after transferring from Liberty.

She didn’t spend anymore time wrestling over her decision, though, after UConn head coach Geno Auriemma visited her home on March 13.

“He’s like a rock star everywhere,” Makurat said. “It’s the best program in history, and I think he’s the best coach. I think it’s super special to meet him and talk with him and to be his player. It’s something special and I couldn’t imagine that someday it’s going to happen.”

Polish guard Ania Makurat excited to play for ‘rock star’ Geno Auriemma at UConn

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has commented very pointedly on how hard it has become to find and recruit enthusiastic team players. I say the following without directing any of it to our recent commits from the good old USA, but: It is beyond refreshing to have Nika and Anna express their wonderment and joy to be embraced by Geno and the Husky program.

and don't forget Paige who's excitement clearly makes her an honorable European who just happens to live in the US by accident. ;)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Great news. But we still need a 6'5" post player and a 6'3" power forward. Guards will only carry us so far.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Great news. But we still need a 6'5" post player and a 6'3" power forward. Guards will only carry us so far.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Geno is just over 6 feet tall, and she’s taller than him in this pic. Maybe 6’2”?....don’t ask me to covert that to Bria Hartley measurements
No he's not, unless I've gained four inches. I'm about 6 feet, and he's a bunch shorter than I am.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Exactly @EricLA! I was going to post the same thing but add that it only took 159 posts to get our first Debbie...
I didn't mean for it to come across overly snarky, but in a thread where everyone is super excited that we have a terrific guard/wing with lots of upside and potential, to be lamenting the lack of posts is a total

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A further point of confusion is that Ola also goes by Alexandr (or similar). Maybe one is her "stage" (basketball) name.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Ola, oldest: Liberty University VA
Ania (or Anna): UConn
Aqata , youngest, 12 years old now.

Ola spent her first two years at LU, transferred to Utah, and will be eligible this year.
Anna is headed to the basketball capital of the world.
Agata is 14 (born December 2004) and is going to spend the next 4-5 years figuring out how to be better than her sisters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ola spent her first two years at LU, transferred to Utah, and will be eligible this year.
Anna is headed to the basketball capital of the world.
Agata is 14 (born December 2004) and is going to spend the next 4-5 years figuring out how to be better than her sisters.
Maybe Agata is the rebounding Makurat. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom