Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
I agree with the observation and UConn is blessed with a great staff.....BUT as Paige made plain too, the ultimate, defining draw was this guy called Geno. I don't need to see the campus. I just have to know that is where Geno is. Nika was very clear about how Geno visited and put her at ease and also taught her so much even in that one encounter. Ania/Anna was funny about the in home meeting “my family still cannot imagine that it happened.”

Geno, the Closer.

“No, it wasn’t hard to commit without visiting first,” Muhl said. “Thinking about UConn, I didn’t need a visit to prove to myself that I wanted to go there. I am just so excited to get to campus and see what it’s all about and get to work.” COLLEGE BEAT: Being first across the pond helped Geno bring Croatia star to Storrs
When you have a chance to play for a legend of the sport it is the ultimate recruiting tool. Lou Alcindor went from east coast to west coast to just to play for John Wooden. Players want to play for coach K. Yes duke is a great academic institution but coach K is on the mt. Rushmore of men’s bb. That’s why when I hear some things that people say about Geno on the BY about how he’s lost it I think it speaks to the crazy expectations we as fans have now of UConn. Anyways we will all gain a greater appreciation of him when he retires and UConn has a new coach. Very very unlikely we will see someone of his success in WBB again.

Reaction Score
When you have a chance to play for a legend of the sport it is the ultimate recruiting tool. Lou Alcindor went from east coast to west coast to just to play for John Wooden. Players want to play for coach K. Yes duke is a great academic institution but coach K is on the mt. Rushmore of men’s bb. That’s why when I hear some things that people say about Geno on the BY about how he’s lost it I think it speaks to the crazy expectations we as fans have now of UConn. Anyways we will all gain a greater appreciation of him when he retires and UConn has a new coach. Very very unlikely we will see someone of his success in WBB again.

The name is Lew...we (Bruins fans) thank you..

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A more reserved analysis of the strength and weaknesses of Anna and how she can fit and help UConn.

Film Review: What Will Anna Makurat Bring to UConn Women’s Basketball?

One thing that is not clear to me is whether Geno has actually scene her play in person?

Not particularly helpful as the "analysis" is based off of highlights that are at least 2 years old. A better and more relevant analysis would be based on watching her play for her pro team Arka Gdynia. Many of those games are available on YouTube and they show how Anna plays today against pro players, the good and the not so good. I've watched all of Arka Gdynia's games available on YouTube and think Jas Thomas's comments to Carl Adamec summarize her game pretty well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno is getting the attention and admiration as an ACTIVE coach John Wooden got as a Retired Legend. Make no mistake, Geno is known and thought highly of around the world in Basketball, Men or Womens. That is an accomplishment in itself. A Women's coach being held in such high esteem in both Men and women's BB! At one time if you mentioned WBB men would put their fingers in their throats. YUk. Now it's known for precision all because Geno pushed he envelope.

Reaction Score
Don't you know that most UConn fans only KNOW only one way to spell Lou.:rolleyes:
UOL, it doesn't matter how you spell her name she will always be the Best Samuelson Sister, i.e., the one who played for Geno.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Hmmm...if older sister plays 2 years at Utah...might Geno try to work out a game with that school for season after next? I assume next year's schedule is full.

Might be a nice gesture. Doesn't Anna have a younger sis playing basketball???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There's this guy I trust when it comes to player analysis and (I repeat) what he just said:

“We’re excited to have [Makurat] on campus this season,” Auriemma said in a statement. “She’s a versatile perimeter player and comes in with pro and international experience. Even though she’s a freshman, I think she’ll bring maturity to the team. We think she’s going to have an immediate impact on the roster.”

UConn women’s basketball team lands commitment from Polish guard, longtime Huskies fan Anna Makurat

"We think she’s going to have an immediate impact on the roster.” Sounds like she'll play a bit eh? Some of you guys ....

Maybe you missed this one too: “She’s going to help us, obviously. She knows how to play and she’s athletic enough to fit into American basketball and smart enough and skilled enough to be a good player. Everyone I’ve talked to has said she’s as good as you can get.” UConn women’s basketball team lands commitment from Polish guard, longtime Huskies fan Anna Makurat

Reaction Score
Geno has commented very pointedly on how hard it has become to find and recruit enthusiastic team players. I say the following without directing any of it to our recent commits from the good old USA, but: It is beyond refreshing to have Nika and Anna express their wonderment and joy to be embraced by Geno and the Husky program.

A sample:

“It was kind of impossible to me,” Makurat said. “I thought it was a joke and somebody was kidding me. It’s a dream come true. It was my dream program.”

Initially, Makurat seriously considered Oregon, saying she was “almost sure I was going to commit there.” She was also interested in South Florida, Ohio State and Utah, where her sister, Ola, will play after transferring from Liberty.

She didn’t spend anymore time wrestling over her decision, though, after UConn head coach Geno Auriemma visited her home on March 13.

“He’s like a rock star everywhere,” Makurat said. “It’s the best program in history, and I think he’s the best coach. I think it’s super special to meet him and talk with him and to be his player. It’s something special and I couldn’t imagine that someday it’s going to happen.”

Polish guard Ania Makurat excited to play for ‘rock star’ Geno Auriemma at UConn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Hmmmm, just how tall is her 14 year old sister? Says she'll be the best. Geno started visiting Paige when she was 14. Just sayin'

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unbiased assessment of Ania by a professional. Actually to taken with a grain of salt when you realize her competition which no USA high school kid is going to face. See Geno's comment below.

[B]carl adamec[/B]‏ @[B]CarlAdamec[/B] 22h22 hours ago
More
-@ConnecticutSun Jasmine Thomas played vs. @UConnWBB commit Anna Makurat in Poland, saying: "She’s a big guard with a pretty versatile skill set. She doesn’t post, but great shooter, decent ballhandler for her size, not the best defender. Very competitive, a lot of potential" ...

I talked to her during her playoffs and she goes, ‘We lost by 30.’ I said, ‘What? Who’d you play?’ She named Tiffany Hayes and like three other pros. The average high school kid in America isn’t playing against that kind of competition. “She’s going to help us, obviously. She knows how to play and she’s athletic enough to fit into American basketball and smart enough and skilled enough to be a good player. Everyone I’ve talked to has said she’s as good as you can get.”

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would be interested to know about her rebounding skills: vertical leap, upper-body strength, appetite for physical play. That has turned out to be one of Megan Walker's strengths, and it has probably (more than anything else) kept her in the lineup for 30+ minutes per game this past year. If she is accustomed to playing with older players and is very competitive, that is a good sign.

Since both she and Aubrey Griffin will be inexperienced with UConn's systems on offense and defense, I have a hunch that defense and rebounding (and general hustle) will determine their relative minutes in the coming season.

Reaction Score

I’m assuming most are familiar with her by this point, but here’s something for those that aren’t. I know these are just highlights, but her passing seems beyond her years. Good news for UConn.

Anna's size, movements, skills and confident aggressiveness remind me of someone...

Reaction Score
Anna's size, movements, skills and confident aggressiveness remind me of someone...
She definitely reminds me of Diana ...... her size and frame and just the way she moves and her shot seems to be a very smooth and consistent one.

Reaction Score
Great news. But we still need a 6'5" post player and a 6'3" power forward. Guards will only carry us so far.
You're definitely a one horse pony ..... every post seems to state "our dire need for size" which obviously would be helpful but only if that size comes with some talent and athleticism and the appropriate team first attitutde.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean for it to come across overly snarky, but in a thread where everyone is super excited that we have a terrific guard/wing with lots of upside and potential, to be lamenting the lack of posts is a total
View attachment 42830
I agree ...... everyone knows size would be helpful but to have talented athletic players added sure takes some of the edge off of our depleted roster size ....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom