Angel Reese Narrows List to 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Narrows List to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know her family likes Maryland. South Carolina could be a nice fit for her. I think these are the final two schools.
If she's smart these are her two real choices. I think if she chooses any of the other 3 then we'll know which coach promises her the moon. By the way, didn't Joyner Holmes have similar skills coming out of HS? Wasn't Holmes a better shooter, more athletic, a better rebounder and finisher as well?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If she's smart these are her two real choices. I think if she chooses any of the other 3 then we'll know which coach promises her the moon. By the way, didn't Joyner Holmes have similar skills coming out of HS? Wasn't Holmes a better shooter, more athletic, a better rebounder and finisher as well?

I'm not sure Holmes' problem is that her skill set is lacking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She added UConn back onto her list after initially not having them in her top 10.

See this post specifically and this thread generally - UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8?
I often wonder if HS players don’t list top schools like UConn and ND (at some point Reese also listed the Irish) simply to pressure other schools to actively recruit or as wishful thinking. If ND and UConn are recruiting a particular player they must be really good. Reese may turn out to be a very good player in college, but she has a long way to go.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Holmes' problem is that her skill set is lacking.
Agreed, but that was not my point. Mine being that Holmes had a higher skill set and has still found controlling the offense off the dribble from the defensive end difficult, especially when you're inconsistent with your shot.

Reaction Score
I see Angel Reese as more of an Alyssa Thomas player (another player who doesn't shoot the three pointer). She's an outstanding rebounder who can go on the break. My question with Reese is the skillset in the halfcourt offense. At Maryland she wouldn't have to initiate the offense because they have 5/6 players who can do that.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It still is surprising how ill informed and illogical that children can be when making life decisions at age 17 or 18. It is not entirely the childs fault for this ignorance. The responsible adults in her life, are not presenting the entire picture for this very young lady and she really has no logical foundation for her personal decision making. It appears that her thinking is purely emotional. You don't exclude or discount things unless you have information even if that information is a large or small amount.

Maybe Paige Bueckers should stay home a few more years to mature and can then decide where to go to school when she has a logical foundation to base her choice off of instead of making an emotional decision. Gimme a break.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Completely different era now though. For this decade about 1/3 of UCONN's shot attempts have come from beyond the arc from all positions even from players like Kiah Stokes. The 3 ball in transition has become one of UCONN's most lethal weapons. Back in Swin's day typically 1/4 ( at most) of the shot attempts came from beyond the arc and the bulk of those came from a few players mostly guards ( Sue, Maria Conlon & DT). Today's UCONN forwards and post players have got to be able to shoot the 3 ball. BTW Swin did attempt 1 3PT shot while at UCONN, it came during her senior year.

Might be a reason why UCONN ain't on her list. Some of her finalists (SC/UT/MD) dont place as much emphasis on 3pt shooting as UCONN does.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know her family likes Maryland. South Carolina could be a nice fit for her. I think these are the final two schools.
I'd rather see her at MD than SC. I just don't like SC. Not nearly as much as I can't stand Tennessee tho. Anywhere but rocky top...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It still is surprising how ill informed and illogical that children can be when making life decisions at age 17 or 18. It is not entirely the childs fault for this ignorance. The responsible adults in her life, are not presenting the entire picture for this very young lady and she really has no logical foundation for her personal decision making. It appears that her thinking is purely emotional. You don't exclude or discount things unless you have information even if that information is a large or small amount.
I think this is a gross oversimplification & generalization. Resse's decision to not include UCONN in her final college selections is the most informed & logical decision Angel and her parents could possibly have made. UCONN is not for everyone. Good luck to her.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I see Angel Reese as more of an Alyssa Thomas player (another player who doesn't shoot the three pointer). She's an outstanding rebounder who can go on the break. My question with Reese is the skillset in the halfcourt offense. At Maryland she wouldn't have to initiate the offense because they have 5/6 players who can do that.
...and her not initiating the offense may take something away from her game. This is clearly a young lady that wants to work from the nail inwards. She wants to be ball dominant. To do that at the next level as a forward and excel without a shot takes a very gifted player indeed. To do that as a pro is almost impossible.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'd rather see her at MD than SC. I just don't like SC. Not nearly as much as I can't stand Tennessee tho. Anywhere but rocky top...
Some of us here are not Friese fans as well.

Reaction Score
The 3 was not allowed back then ... I think? :rolleyes:
You are kidding of course>\???
At that age, you may present the fully logical evidence required to make a proper decision and they won't necessarily make your choice. There is an assortment for which teen girls (I had years of experience raising intelligent women) decide things. Peers/friends tend to have more impact than relatives. It too depends on the internal being no 2 are the same. One of mine plotted out her future--became a well known Harvard educated attorney, that was rare. Poor thing couldn't dribble a basketball.

Reaction Score
Some of us here are not Friese fans as well.
I'm one that prefers U Tenn over Md or Friese, now that Holly is History. Odd thing. I recently watched many old Pat Tenn games and Holly seemed to be doing much of the in game coaching in the huddles. Perceptions/reality??

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Looking at UConns roster for the next few seasons and Im thinking we get Fudd and Prince where to we need help?....the post and thats about it. I also like our chances for DeBerry who is a post player. We're gonna be loaded with alot of top talent and will be the team to beat if this all pans out and I think it will. Alot will be determined by the NCAA and transfer rules.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Reese doesn’t want to be stuck in the paint. She’s not a center, but she will play some forward if she came to SC. She looks like a 3-4 stretch player to me. I assume the primary reason that she’s so high on SC is the fact that she could potentially play 3 years with Boston, 3 years with Amihere, and 2 years with Saxton... all three are players that will for sure have the forward spots locked up for the next few years, limiting Reese’s time there. Plus SC is also involved with forward’s in Reese’s own class.

IMO, she’s raw offensively for a top 5 player... but her potential is high and she has the physical attributes naturally to be a really dynamic player in college. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
Reese doesn’t want to be stuck in the paint. She’s not a center, but she will play some forward if she came to SC. She looks like a 3-4 stretch player to me. I assume the primary reason that she’s so high on SC is the fact that she could potentially play 3 years with Boston, 3 years with Amihere, and 2 years with Saxton... all three are players that will for sure have the forward spots locked up for the next few years, limiting Reese’s time there. Plus SC is also involved with forward’s in Reese’s own class.

IMO, she’s raw offensively for a top 5 player... but her potential is high and she has the physical attributes naturally to be a really dynamic player in college. We’ll see.

Reese, Amihere, Beal and Boston would be a dominating rebounding team for sure!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm one that prefers U Tenn over Md or Friese, now that Holly is History. Odd thing. I recently watched many old Pat Tenn games and Holly seemed to be doing much of the in game coaching in the huddles. Perceptions/reality??

I suspect Holly was just there holding the tether on the clipboard. :oops:

Reaction Score
Read the article. At one point she says she wants to play her position....Not UConn material. I believe Geno decides what position a player plays and there really aren't hard wired positions in the UConn offense...

That's interesting.
Her saying she wants to play her position doesn't fit with her coach's comment: "What colleges like is that she's a positionless player," Shelton said. "She can guard everybody, and she can score on anyone."

Reaction Score

Wasn't this the kind of thinking that sent Mompremier to Baylor after Kalani Brown had already committed? Alas, the presence of Kalani merely transformed Mompremier into a career back-up at Baylor. And, there is no guarantee that the absence of Cox would have changed Mompremier's position at Baylor either.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So where's the bathroom?
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Like it's been said in this thread. If she wants to win championships the only school in her 5 that has a shot is South Carolina. The rest not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom