Angel Reese Narrows List to 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Narrows List to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mompremier to Baylor with Kalani Brown was a foolish decision; as was Jatarie White to SC with Aja Wilson. Those kids could have been starters at other schools. They foolishly joined more talented friends, playing their same positions, when making their college selections.
McCowan was a Baylor lean until Kalani signed, my belief is she would have been a bench warmer at Baylor. She got playing time at MSST and developed into the premier center in WBB by the time she graduated. Shows, in my opinion, why it is critical WBB recruits evaluate their future team based upon their future!

Reaction Score
She better pick MD quick because they are losing a scholarship for the next 3 years for NCAA violations.
This is not a big deal. 14 scholarships is fine. The loss of recruiting visits will be the thing that hurts Maryland.

Reaction Score
Maryland is going to be loaded in a couple of years if Brenda can prevent her big time players from transferring. I'd think they're the favorite based on location and roster makeup. Reese would slide in well at the 3 there.
Player retention is the key. Especially with their stellar 2018 and 2019 classes. I think UConn will be the favorite in 2020 with Maryland clearly in the top 5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Player retention is the key. Especially with their stellar 2018 and 2019 classes. I think UConn will be the favorite in 2020 with Maryland clearly in the top 5.
Somewhere along the line I must have missed this. What violations caused MD's WBB to have to forfeit scholarships and recruiting visits and for how long? @bballnut90
Thanks

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Somewhere along the line I must have missed this. What violations caused MD's WBB to have to forfeit scholarships and recruiting visits and for how long? @bballnut90
Thanks
Both MD MBB & WBB were sanctioned. The men’s violations were a little more serious involving “out of season” contact and coaching. The violations for WBB is pretty benign. Brenda handed out recruiting packets to numerous recruits with “personalized photos of the recruits.” I believe someone posted the one for Mimi Collins. If I recall it was a photoshopped picture of Collins in a Terp uniform in the cover of S.I.

Brenda indicated she did not know it was a violation, and I tend to believe her. I had no idea that such recruiting promotional materials were verboten.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maryland basketball programs violated NCAA rules
It was for both the men and the women team. It was called a minor infraction and Maryland made self imposed penalties.
Thanks for sending this.
Couple of thoughts:
Relatively minor compared to wads of cash that is being exchanged in some recruiting circles and for which people are rightfully ending up in jail on the men's side. Brenda has been around long enough to understand how petty the NCAA can be- maybe not though. I believe the NCAA rule is that you can't personalize anything for an "unofficial" visit but a poster like the one they had in Mimi Collins hotel room was permissible because she was on an official visit.
I guess I'm further out of touch than I though with this generation of kids. Are recruits really impressed by a personalized recruiting brochure?

Reaction Score
Most of the infractions were done by an assistant coach that is no longer in the program. Apparently the assistant coach sent dozens of official brochures to recruits which was a violation.

Reaction Score
Both MD MBB & WBB were sanctioned. The men’s violations were a little more serious involving “out of season” contact and coaching. The violations for WBB is pretty benign. Brenda handed out recruiting packets to numerous recruits with “personalized photos of the recruits.” I believe someone posted the one for Mimi Collins. If I recall it was a photoshopped picture of Collins in a Terp uniform in the cover of S.I.

Brenda indicated she did not know it was a violation, and I tend to believe her. I had no idea that such recruiting promotional materials were verboten.
Interesting. Vic Schaefer and Mississippi State also had one for Minyon Moore when she visited Mississippi State. I did not think it was a violation since it was an official visit.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks for sending this.
Couple of thoughts:
Relatively minor compared to wads of cash that is being exchanged in some recruiting circles and for which people are rightfully ending up in jail on the men's side. Brenda has been around long enough to understand how petty the NCAA can be- maybe not though. I believe the NCAA rule is that you can't personalize anything for an "unofficial" visit but a poster like the one they had in Mimi Collins hotel room was permissible because she was on an official visit.
I guess I'm further out of touch than I though with this generation of kids. Are recruits really impressed by a personalized recruiting brochure?
I'm no fan of Frese, but if what her assistant coach did was worthy of a sanction then I just about throw up my hands at the NCAA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. While I understand the high expectations that come with being a UConn fan, you are being ridiculous.
You are very kind. Ridiculous is much less offensive than any word(s) that come to my mind.

Reaction Score
Syracuse will be losing both starting guards after this season. Ohio state 5 star transfer Kiki Lewis figures to take over the point guard duties next year. The two slot looks to be wide open for Reese.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Might be a reason why UCONN ain't on her list. Some of her finalists (SC/UT/MD) dont place as much emphasis on 3pt shooting as UCONN does.

Not sure you can say this about Tennessee. New coach this year

Reaction Score
Syracuse will be losing both starting guards after this season. Ohio state 5 star transfer Kiki Lewis figures to take over the point guard duties next year. The two slot looks to be wide open for Reese.
The Syracuse coach is one of my favorites. She'll do great up there if she selects them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm no fan of Frese, but if what her assistant coach did was worthy of a sanction then I just about throw up my hands at the NCAA.
You are very kind. Ridiculous is much less offensive than any word(s) that come to my mind.
While I agree with both of you this particular sanction was offered up by MD and approved by the NCAA. If I were Maryland I would have punished myself by skipping that second entree for dinner and sent the coach in question off to the library for an hour to lookup the rules. If the NCAA didn't approve that I would offer the same for two meals and two hours in the library. No way I'm offering to give up official visits because those are like gold and probably more valuable than a scholarship because most WCBB teams aren't at the limit anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same height as KLS. Was Katie Lou a big? Reese calls herself a guard, and says that she wants to play at a school that lets her play her preferred position. Your post is, to put it kindly, uninformed.

Aja Wilson also called herself a guard coming out of high school, and now she’s one of the best young post players in the world. Reese can be a monster on the glass at times and any couch will probably look to take advantage of her rebounding, she has potential to be a match up nightmare if she’s played at the four, I think she could have been a starter for UConn by her sophomore year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thanks for sending this.
Couple of thoughts:
Wonder what they would think of an orange blimp?

Reaction Score
Swin Cash played the wing in college and never attempted a three while at UConn
There are always players with exceptional physical skills or grit/tenacity. UConn has been blessed with players who overcome the norm such as Swin or 5'11" players like Gabby who could play center. Does Reese fall in this category?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wonder what they would think of an orange blimp?
Hence the NCAA rule with the nickname the “Pat Summitt rule”.
I feel like the masses of the BY are missing out on these references and the back story.
Can either of you please elaborate?

Reaction Score
I feel like the masses of the BY are missing out on these references and the back story.
If a pink flamingo didn't do it for Ann Strother, an orange blimp wasn't gonna do it...

"DENVER — It has been a decade since Georgia coach Andy Landers planted that pink flamingo in her family's Castle Rock, Colo., lawn. A decade since Notre Dame made a compact disc of her playing in a key game situation with the Fighting Irish.

The recruiting was fierce and, yes, it has been a full decade since the Tennessee coaches and players greeted her wearing T-shirts with her baby picture on them. She ran into Thompson-Boling Arena that day with fireworks going off, her name blaring and a remote-controlled, mini-blimp dropping a national letter of intent."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Years ago, Pat Summitt would personalize decorations and have made sports memorabilia - all in creamsicle orange - with recruits’ names and images. Shea Ralph, who was recruited by Tenn, said “It looked like Orange Man came in and threw up everywhere “. The blimp mentioned above refers to PHS’s gimmick of taking a recruit to center court in Thompson Boling Arena and havin an orange blimp descend with an LOI all ready to sign.

At that time, that stuff was NOT any kind of violation however other coaches with much smaller recruiting budgets complained that Tennessee had an unfair recruiting advantage so the NCAA outlawed such practices.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Years ago, Pat Summitt would personalize decorations and have made sports memorabilia - all in creamsicle orange - with recruits’ names and images. Shea Ralph, who was recruited by Tenn, said “It looked like Orange Man came in and threw up everywhere “. The blimp mentioned above refers to PHS’s gimmick of taking a recruit to center court in Thompson Boling Arena and havin an orange blimp descend with an LOI all ready to sign.

At that time, that stuff was NOT any kind of violation however other coaches with much smaller recruiting budgets complained that Tennessee had an unfair recruiting advantage so the NCAA outlawed such practices.
Good lord. Pat was of course a great coach, but she might have been an even better used-car salesperson.

This is why I'm very wary of the currently floated proposals to pay college athletes. If the full-blown Martha Stewart decorations and memorabilia onslaught was deemed unfair to less-budgeted teams, imagine the landscape once athlete payments are legalized.

Reaction Score
That will be the end of college sports. You will have essentially another professional league of maybe a dozen schools with deep pocket boosters and the rest of the colleges will either drop sports altogether or will compete on the current "club" level.

I had an English professor in college around 1980 that said of college football that why wast the money? Just have a professional team on campus as the "football team in residence." Seems like he may have been prescient.

The "revenue" sports at major "sports mad" universities are essentially serving as the minor league system for the NFL and the NBA/WNBA. To some extent college baseball is becoming another level of the minor leagues for MLB.

I think if the decision to pay players is made, college sports as we now know them will be unsustainable and we will be treated to a "club" system similar to the European model of player development for major sports. While as fans this may be painful, it may be better in the long run. Colleges and universities will stop throwing money at the holy grail of sports and may actually concentrate on their reason for being in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom