Angel Reese Narrows List to 5 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Narrows List to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Read the article. At one point she says she wants to play her position....Not UConn material. I believe Geno decides what position a player plays and there really aren't hard wired positions in the UConn offense...

Reaction Score
I imagined Geno told her she would play in the post alongside ONO. She has said multiple times she’s a guard so it’ll be interesting to see if that’s where she plays in College.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

She will take her official visits to Maryland, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Syracuse and Tennessee.
"I want to be able to play my position, grabbing a rebound and taking off on the dribble," said Reese, who plans to study kinesiology and business.

"I'm looking for a team that is family-oriented -- a home away from home," said Reese, a 6-foot-3 wing at St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Maryland). "I want to win a national championship."

She wants to win a NC. Based on that alone, which program should she commit to? Which one has the best chance of winning a NC in the next 4 years?

In the next 4 years, who does win a NC? Repeats or three-peats?

Of these 5, I think South Carolina has the best chance of winning one. Baylor, UConn, Stanford, Oregon and maybe Notre Dame and Miss St. will have something to say about that in the next 4 years.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She will take her official visits to Maryland, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Syracuse and Tennessee.
"I want to be able to play my position, grabbing a rebound and taking off on the dribble," said Reese, who plans to study kinesiology and business.

"I'm looking for a team that is family-oriented -- a home away from home," said Reese, a 6-foot-3 wing at St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Maryland). "I want to win a national championship."

She wants to win a NC. Based on that alone, which program should she commit to? Which one has the best chance of winning a NC in the next 4 years?

In the next 4 years, who does win a NC? Repeats or three-peats?

South Carolina and Maryland have coaches who've won titles and coached teams to multiple Final Fours. Both have extremely talented rosters projected for when she'd arrive....she could very well win title(s) at either school. Don't see that happening at USC, Cuse or UT though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I am genuinely happy for this young lady. She's talented and she's been raised by a fine family. I hope nothing but good things for her. Whether she wins a championship at any of her chosen 5 is moot. But in reality, if she thinks she is a guard and is going to rebound and push the ball up the floor at the next level she's going to have a rude awakening coming to her at her first practice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am genuinely happy for this young lady. She's talented and she's been raised by a fine family. I hope nothing but good things for her. Whether she wins a championship at any of her chosen 5 is moot. But in reality, if she thinks she is a guard and is going to rebound and push the ball up the floor at the next level she's going to have a rude awakening coming to her at her first practice.

We shall see. Reese looks pretty raw offensively from the footage I've seen but she may be best suited on the wing since she has very good handles for her size and appears to be a good passer. Defensively I think she'll be stuck in the post wherever she goes since she is so long and can alter shots. Not a strong finisher inside yet and doesn't appear to have good hands for catching entry passes. If she goes to SC, she'll be playing with Boston so she probably doesn't play in the low post. At MD she also likely isn't relegated to the low post due to Austin being there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We shall see. Reese looks pretty raw offensively from the footage I've seen but she may be best suited on the wing since she has very good handles for her size and appears to be a good passer. Defensively I think she'll be stuck in the post wherever she goes since she is so long and can alter shots. Not a strong finisher inside yet and doesn't appear to have good hands for catching entry passes. If she goes to SC, she'll be playing with Boston so she probably doesn't play in the low post. At MD she also likely isn't relegated to the low post due to Austin being there.
The problem is if you want to play the wing you have to have a shot to the arc, meaning you need to at least shoot around 35% or better from 3. You also need to have something consistent from the mid range. Reese has shown neither. When someone says they want to take off on the dribble, that means they see themselves as a guard. Guards do more than bring the ball up and shoot layups. Guards have good hands, make good pocket passes and shoot. Never mind running the offense These things she ain't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn hasn’t been a factor for Reese for some time. She put out her final 10 list back in August and UConn wasn’t on it then. She since dropped Baylor, Louisville, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, and UVA, while adding SoCal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn hasn’t been a factor for Reese for some time. She put out her final 10 list back in August and UConn wasn’t on it then. She since dropped Baylor, Louisville, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, and UVA, while adding SoCal.

She was interviewed after that tweet came out and stated that UConn was still involved. Personally, I don't see this as a big loss for UConn. Yes, Reese is extremely athletic and long, but she is also very raw. There were also some attitude/effort concerns I saw on tape, we all know Coach Auriemma is not one to put up with that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The problem is if you want to play the wing you have to have a shot to the arc, meaning you need to at least shoot around 35% or better from 3. You also need to have something consistent from the mid range. Reese has shown neither. When someone says they want to take off on the dribble, that means they see themselves as a guard. Guards do more than bring the ball up and shoot layups. Guards have good hands, make good pocket passes and shoot. Never mind running the offense These things she ain't.
Swin Cash played the wing in college and never attempted a three while at UConn

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple comments.

HS kids sometimes say things that don’t make a lot of sense, i.e. Boston explaining her decision to attend SC by, “I just want to play pro.”

Assuming that Reese really wants to play out on the floor in either the 1, 2 or 3 spots, she has to realize that with Evina, Christyn, Aubrey, Ania, Paige, Nika and perhaps Azzi, UConn is loaded at those spots for the next few years with a bunch of players who all have a better handle, ability to shoot and pass the ball than she does.

If UConn is not on her list, I strongly suspect that Reese is not on UConn’s list either for whatever the reason.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Swin Cash played the wing in college and never attempted a three while at UConn
Completely different era now though. For this decade about 1/3 of UCONN's shot attempts have come from beyond the arc from all positions even from players like Kiah Stokes. The 3 ball in transition has become one of UCONN's most lethal weapons. Back in Swin's day typically 1/4 ( at most) of the shot attempts came from beyond the arc and the bulk of those came from a few players mostly guards ( Sue, Maria Conlon & DT). Today's UCONN forwards and post players have got to be able to shoot the 3 ball. BTW Swin did attempt 1 3PT shot while at UCONN, it came during her senior year.

Reaction Score
AS a Syracuse resident, I hope she comes here....but my gut says South Carolina.

Reaction Score
She wants to win a NC. God bless you ....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It still is surprising how ill informed and illogical that children can be when making life decisions at age 17 or 18. It is not entirely the childs fault for this ignorance. The responsible adults in her life, are not presenting the entire picture for this very young lady and she really has no logical foundation for her personal decision making. It appears that her thinking is purely emotional. You don't exclude or discount things unless you have information even if that information is a large or small amount.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From this video, she is never getting an offer from UCONN.

Hmmmm....
I couldn’t help but notice the “highlight” where she has her shot blocked in the paint by a player 3-4” shorter. No wonder she wants to play guard...:rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

She added UConn back onto her list after initially not having them in her top 10.

See this post specifically and this thread generally - UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom