Andy Katz Final Four Picks | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz Final Four Picks

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
JonathanXIV, I use to have the same exact opinion of Mulkey and her embarrassingly weak schedule year in and year out. That's because I was looking at it from a fan's point of view. I saw Baylor as a top 5 perennial power house "elite" program that is on par with UConn, Notre Dame, etc. Like you , I wondered why Baylor chose not to play an aggressive preconference schedule like UConn does, and derided her for doing so.

Then it dawned on me. I looked at it from Mulkey's perspective. Baylor is in a P5 conference, and has better quality members than UConn does, thus they don't have to front load their schedule with quality opponents.
UConn is in a conference composed of mid-majors.

Mulkey chooses to use the preconference portion of her schedule to her advantage by scheduling 75-90% of these games at home, and only 1-2 ranked teams. She uses these games to allow her team to bond and to integrate the new incoming players to team and the system. Last year, the only game they lost was to Stanford on the road. Like UConn, Baylor seldom loses home games.

Here's the rub.....regardless of her weak OOC schedule, she gets away with it. Baylor regularly receives a #1 seed every March. As Mulkey sees it, a weak schedule checks all of the boxes. They play ALL of their games at home, wins all of them, and gets all of her players (especially the freshmen) playing time to begin the regular season. She's always ranked in the top 5 in the preseason polls like she is this year. So, bottom line, until that formula no longer works for her, expect her to continue using it.

...except they arent always #1 seed. Kim entered 2018 tournament 31-1 and as a #2 seed since their schedule was quite weak. They also weren't #1 seeds in 2014 and 2015. I think as a direct result of being a one loss 2 seed, this past year they scheduled well in the non-conference, playing at Arizona State, Stanford and South Carolina along with UCONN at home. It earned them the #1 overall seed a favorable path to the Final Four.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LOL Yeah it sounds crazy. But look at the history and you'll see it's true.

I know UConn keeps on rolling, wasn't disputing that. Just sometimes other teams don't fall off as much as expected when a star moves one.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand why Kim schedules like she does; I just don’t respect it. And given the recent state of the Big12, I would take issue with the idea that conference play provides Baylor with lots of “quality” opponents.

My reasoning is there are more “major” programs in the Big 12 than there are in the AAC. I amended my comment to read usually receives a 1 seed rather than always.

Reaction Score
Also, what's the plan for next year or the year after? Just keep collecting size? To me good backcourt play is still the key to winning championships. Sabrina, to me, is as close to a transcendent guard I've seen in a long time. Can he win without one? Can he win with one? If he doesn't take the chip this year my opinion of him will be drastically reduced, and the idea of him winning a chip at all even more diminished.
Thumbs up on your "transcendent guard" comment

Reaction Score
This isn’t so much a retort at my fine colleague JordyG as it is a reflective overview of our perceived bias against one Chennedy Carter. To wit, after her freshmen year where she failed to mesh with two really good players in Anriel Howard and Danni Williams who promptly transferred out of the program, many of us thought “ugh oh, what is going on under Gary?” I was super skeptical especially after Chennedy’s early season suspension. But then somehow, the team started to gel and played very well at the end of the year with a young squad. I became more analytical in my assessment in the concept that maybe Gary Blair feels he has his Maya Moore/Diana Taurasi sans the great supporting cast they had, but with a pretty good supporting cast. Look, I am not saying CC is DT or MM but she is a talent and talent not only plays but also wins at the NCAA level. Plus Gary Blair is a really good coach and he does have an NCAA Title. He is still at or near the top of his game as a coach even at his age.. The real question is Can they all take that next step up to become a great team worthy of a final four. Without a doubt in my mind, they are better than ANYONE else in the SEC. Are they a shoe in for the Final Four? No, of course not but they are in that short list of potential teams. Baylor, Oregon, OSU, UConn, Louisville, Stanford and Texas A&M. Yes, I specifically left off Maryland (BTW I just bought the season tickets for their games), MSU, SC, NC State (I might qualify Wes’s team as my sleeper pick!).
So look at the A&M stats from last year, pause and think about and then let us know all your thoughts -those who doubt the Aggies. Humbly. Submitted DBB :)
You are correct sir!

Reaction Score
Sabrina has been very good in her first three year but I would not call her a "dominating" player. She has 24 loses in her first three years and only 1 FF appearance.
You must be joking. Who is a more dominating player than Sabrina?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree 100% that we regularly see UCONN players make a huge jump their sophomore season. I've always been in agreement with this and have never stated anything like the example you posted.

That said, I'll be very surprised if ONO develops into a Hebard caliber of player in one off season. Hebard is one of the top frontcourt players in the country. ONO played very limited minutes for a team that was in desperate need of post help. The gap between them was tremendous at the end of the season. I expect ONO will be much improved and the gap will lessen, but to expect her to be on par with Hebard (and to expect Walker to be on par with Sabally) seems quite wishful at this point.
I don't think any of us has seen the real Megan Walker yet. I believe her potential will come to fruition this season and if so, she will be on a par with Hebard. I don,t really see how anyone can downplay Sabrina's ability and accomplishments so far. If she was at UConn and played as well as she has, some would say she is one the greatest guards in UConn history, at least good enough to have her name on the wall.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think any of us has seen the real Megan Walker yet. I believe her potential will come to fruition this season and if so, she will be on a par with Hebard. I don,t really see how anyone can downplay Sabrina's ability and accomplishments so far. If she was at UConn and played as well as she has, some would say she is one the greatest guards in UConn history, at least good enough to have her name on the wall.

I think Walker will be very good this year for you guys. She improved a lot as a soph and will take on much more responsibility as a junior, especially if Westbrook isnt cleared.

Sabally is probably a better comparison for Walker than Hebard since both are more perimeter oriented 4s but Sabally is just better in most areas from what we've seen. No disrespect to Walker, but Sabally is really good and the likely #1 pick in 2021. And agreed regarding Ionescu. For better or worse, everything OU does revolves around her in a way that you dont typically see. I think the UCONN/Oregon game is going to be the best game of the regular season. Oregon appears to have the edge on paper but the Huskies never lose at home (last time was in 2013) and are immensely talented as well.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Oregon handles the #1 ranking as the prohibitive odds on favorite to win the NC this season.

tv-static-big-bang.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like all coaches who believe take the best on and hope I can make it fit, he nets an Iounescu to make that hummmmm. So, absolutely agree. But watch the Portal and waivers. Who knows, Muffet may pull several rabbits out of the Leprechaun's had. Kelly Graves does not have that kind of drawing power but he's gaining on most in the field. Sabrina made a good choice for her in Oregon because she's slow for a PG/SG at UConn.

And yes, every time I say that about Sabrina some Ducks fan get quite upset and thier Ducks long knives come out!

So were DT and Conlon.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So were DT and Conlon.

"I'm not going to debate you Jerry....let's look at that Burnt Sierra Cutlass." Too busy this AM, but DT and Maria had Geno, and it seemed to work out okay. Geno: ' sure she's short, but she makes up for it by being slow', or vice verse. But maybe that was your point. A wink emoticon would help.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Oregon handles the #1 ranking as the prohibitive odds on favorite to win the NC this season.

View attachment 46700

Prohibitive might be a stretch but in the past decade, teams not named UCONN have not done well at finishing the job as preseason #1, and UCONN has missed a couple of times too:

2019-Notre Dame, lost in title game after coming off title season
2018-UCONN, lost in Final Four
2017-Notre Dame, lost in Elite 8
2014-2016, UCONN, won it all
2013-Baylor, lost in Sweet 16 after coming off title season
2012-Baylor, won it all
2011-UCONN, lost in Final Four

Oregon on paper looks the strongest and should have the pieces to repeat but it'll be a competitive season.

Looking ahead one more year, and I think UCONN likely returns to the top of the food chain with a lineup of ONO, Walker, Westbrook, Williams and Bueckers. Maryland, Oregon, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Baylor all look quite good on paper too.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What makes you so sure of this??
The whole starting 5 is back for A&M and they made it as far as SC in the Tournament. Carter should revert back to or even better than her Freshman year in FG%, 3 Pt Pct, Fat% assists and lower turnovers. She should benefit from the USA team play this past summer. The other teams you are implying are SC and MSU who have new players to mesh in and in the SC case, a stronger team chemistry issue to resolve as dissension became apparent with Cooper leaving and MHH wanting to leave but reconsidering. You also have to integrate a huge freshman class of talent. When large classes of talent arrive, there are almost always issues and transfers from them. See Baylor, Texas, UConn, Louisville, UNCheat all as recent examples of this. Vic has to show he can replace his star player and maintain elite status. I simply have more faith in A&M as they have less questions than both SC and MSU. BTW It’s not like I hate any of these teams. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"I'm not going to debate you Jerry....let's look at that Burnt Sierra Cutlass." Too busy this AM, but DT and Maria had Geno, and it seemed to work out okay. Geno: ' sure she's short, but she makes up for it by being slow', or vice verse. But maybe that was your point. A wink emoticon would help.
So would have Sabrina if she'd have come to UCONN.

You seemed to have been implying Sabrina wouldn't have fit in a UCONN because she was slow. Just sayin' we've had "slow" guards before and Geno has done alright. :D (no winks needed :cool:)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Baylor’s traditionally “light” (I prefer the word “embarrassing”) out of conference schedule is why I can’t get behind Baylor. They are a top program. They should act like it and schedule worthy opponents instead of a bunch of teams ranked 300+.
@Carnac addressed some it this but the Baylor OOC is not embarrassing as it has USF, Wash St, Indiana, SC, Georgia and UConn on it. It’s not what MM or Geno would do, but it is better than what Brenda has done. As Carnac noted, her prior schedules didn’t limit her seeding, though they probably hampered her results given some of her earlier than expected exits.

@willtalk mentioned Nylessa Smith as benefiting from Brown’s presence which led to further discussion about her role this year and it has me confused. Smith averaged 8.4 points as a 6’2” reserve and 15 min per game. No way she would play the 5, she’s too small. Does Queen Egbo step up her game to help. This team has talent but how is it to be used will be the issue as roles have to change given the scoring Brown did. Who fills that? Can Cox? It will be easier for teams to guard Cox now with Brown gone and no other apparent big to fill in the scoring. They still lack an outside threat and add in the dysfunctional mess waiting to happen of Tea Cooper and I have doubts. If MM couldn’t repeat with what she had last year, I doubt Kim can repeat this year. Look, I like Baylor, I always have (even when I was highly frustrated with Kim’s poor comments on the sexual assaults in her defense of the school, which were egregious). I just have concerns that I will need to see. Her schedule is not one of those concerns.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So would have Sabrina if she'd have come to UCONN.

You seemed to have been implying Sabrina wouldn't have fit in a UCONN because she was slow. Just sayin' we've had "slow" guards before and Geno has done alright. :D (no winks needed :cool:)

Well, you know me. Somedays I'm a little slow. One those days @meyer7 a wink ;) helps. Sitting in low light drinking a cuppa trying to catch up before heading out into the storm. :D

Reaction Score
The whole starting 5 is back for A&M and they made it as far as SC in the Tournament. Carter should revert back to or even better than her Freshman year in FG%, 3 Pt Pct, Fat% assists and lower turnovers. She should benefit from the USA team play this past summer. The other teams you are implying are SC and MSU who have new players to mesh in and in the SC case, a stronger team chemistry issue to resolve as dissension became apparent with Cooper leaving and MHH wanting to leave but reconsidering. You also have to integrate a huge freshman class of talent. When large classes of talent arrive, there are almost always issues and transfers from them. See Baylor, Texas, UConn, Louisville, UNCheat all as recent examples of this. Vic has to show he can replace his star player and maintain elite status. I simply have more faith in A&M as they have less questions than both SC and MSU. BTW It’s not like I hate any of these teams. :cool:
I agree. Texas A&M should be the favorite because they have players with experience playing together. I suspect both MSST and SC will compete and depending how quickly the team can develop chemistry they have to be consider potential top 10. My heart say MSST but my head says Texas A&M.

Reaction Score
@Carnac addressed some it this but the Baylor OOC is not embarrassing as it has USF, Wash St, Indiana, SC, Georgia and UConn on it. It’s not what MM or Geno would do, but it is better than what Brenda has done. As Carnac noted, her prior schedules didn’t limit her seeding, though they probably hampered her results given some of her earlier than expected exits.

@willtalk mentioned Nylessa Smith as benefiting from Brown’s presence which led to further discussion about her role this year and it has me confused. Smith averaged 8.4 points as a 6’2” reserve and 15 min per game. No way she would play the 5, she’s too small. Does Queen Egbo step up her game to help. This team has talent but how is it to be used will be the issue as roles have to change given the scoring Brown did. Who fills that? Can Cox? It will be easier for teams to guard Cox now with Brown gone and no other apparent big to fill in the scoring. They still lack an outside threat and add in the dysfunctional mess waiting to happen of Tea Cooper and I have doubts. If MM couldn’t repeat with what she had last year, I doubt Kim can repeat this year. Look, I like Baylor, I always have (even when I was highly frustrated with Kim’s poor comments on the sexual assaults in her defense of the school, which were egregious). I just have concerns that I will need to see. Her schedule is not one of those concerns.
Baylor’s going to surprise a lot of you guys! T’ea Cooper is fine and Baylor will be fine! It’s going to be a good season!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Baylor’s going to surprise a lot of you guys! T’ea Cooper is fine and Baylor will be fine! It’s going to be a good season!
You keep telling yourself that about Cooper. The next big game she has against a top opponent will be her first! The good news is the Big12 is easily the worst of the P5 Conferences, still better than the AAC or Big East, but not by much....

Reaction Score

Cooper was addition by subtraction. MHH wanted to leave because she felt like she wasn’t the focal point of the offense after sitting most of the Belmont game. She will be that this year for sure. From the coaches mouths she has taken a full 360 turn around in her overall game and attitude. The team also already has great chemistry. Of course you don’t follow them like I do but they spend ALL of their time with each other everyday. They should know what the next girl ate for breakfast without her even telling. Everyone always has questions because they haven’t seen it on the floor yet. I think A&M will be good but everyone has a different opinion.

Reaction Score
You keep telling yourself that about Cooper. The next big game she has against a top opponent will be her first! The good news is the Big12 is easily the worst of the P5 Conferences, still better than the AAC or Big East, but not by much....
Lol I’ve seen open practices before! Sure practices doesn’t always translate to games but she’ll be fine! Kim Mulkey is a good coach and I trust her. It’s not going to be a surprise if Baylor makes it back to the final four or repeat as champions. Also, watch out for a line-up of T’ea Cooper, juicy landrum, Didi Richards, Smith, And egbo! That is a very fast line-up! I’ve seen it at their open practices

Reaction Score
Agreed. I want to see that #1 player potential this year. I also want to see #2 in Westbrook as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom