Andy Katz Final Four Picks | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz Final Four Picks

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You must be joking. Who is a more dominating player than Sabrina?
Sabrina is not a dominating player. WCBB has not had a "dominating" player since Stewie graduated.

Thumbs up on your "transcendent guard" comment
Sabrina is not a "transcendent" guard.

Stewart. Griner. Moore. All players within the last decade who were more dominant (albeit in different ways) than Sabrina. She's a special talent but a big piece of her college basketball legacy is going to be determined by how she performs at the Final Four in April, assuming Oregon is still competing. Last year she really struggled against Baylor, this year she has a shot at redemption.
Comparable players to Sabrina with some noteworthy NCAA accomplishments within the last decade at the "Guard" position:
Angel McCoughtry-3X AA, 20 PPG, 9.1 RPG (Both higher than Sabrina' career averages)
Kristi Tolliver-NCAA Champion & 2X AA.
Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins 2X AA
Odyssey Sims-Wade Trophy Winner
Kayla McBride-2X AA
Jewell Loyd-2X AA in 3 years of WCBB despite ALWAYS playing with another AA in the backcourt.
Moriah Jefferson-4 Rings, National DPOY
Kelsey Mitchell-3X AA
Kelsey Plum-Wade Trophy Winner
Asia Durr-2X AA
IMO you can't be "transcendent" if you have this many comparable players many of whom are peers of Sabrina. BTW if you suggest removing Angel and Kayla as more Small forwards than guards I can find suitable replacements starting with Tiffany Mitchell.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Without a settled definition of terms like "transcendent" and "dominant," I'm not even sure what the point to this debate is. Yes, there have been several guards in the past decade to win the Wade Trophy and many more to earn one or more year of AA status. Just like there were Wade Trophy and AA-status forwards besides Stewwie (Griner, for example, matched Stewwie's two-time Wade Trophy awards). What made Stewwie transcendent was that she did things with a basketball that you just didn't expect (especially for her size), like she had a telekinetic power to guide the basketball beyond her fingertips. Griner has size, but Stewwie had wow.

I'll be the first to agree Ionescu is not at the Stewwie level, but she's the closest I've seen since to possess that same "wow" ability since Stewwie graduated in 2016. None of the players in that long list you mentioned are anywhere near as enjoyable for me to watch as Ionescu, because of what she can do from all over the court, often when you simply don't think it's possible.

Also, maybe we've all just subconsciously soaked up sports journalism, but the AP, NCAA, and High Post Hoops have all described Ionescu as "transcendent." For example:

Her play on the court has made Ionescu a transcendent star of college women’s basketball the last few years. Whatever she ends up deciding to do when the Ducks’ season is over will have the blessing of her coach.

It's ok for someone other than UConn to have the star player once in a while, y'all. I expect the words "Bueckers" and "transcendent" will also be used together a lot starting in 2021.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Without a settled definition of terms like "transcendent" and "dominant," I'm not even sure what the point to this debate is. Yes, there have been several guards in the past decade to win the Wade Trophy and many more to earn one or more year of AA status. Just like there were Wade Trophy and AA-status forwards besides Stewwie (Griner, for example, matched Stewwie's two-time Wade Trophy awards). What made Stewwie transcendent was that she did things with a basketball that you just didn't expect (especially for her size), like she had a telekinetic power to guide the basketball beyond her fingertips. Griner has size, but Stewwie had wow.
I'll be the first to agree Ionescu is not at the Stewwie level, but she's the closest I've seen since to possess that same "wow" ability since Stewwie graduated in 2016. None of the players in that long list you mentioned are anywhere near as enjoyable for me to watch as Ionescu, because of what she can do from all over the court, often when you simply don't think it's possible.
Fair points A Wade trophy is handed out every year as is AA status.
Definitions and examples.
Transcendent- Revolutionizes the game or the way a position is played. Magic Johnson a 6'9" player revolutionized the PG position. Scottie Pippen revolutionized basketball with the invention of the point forward position where the bulls offense was ran thought the forward position vs that other HoF playing in the Bulls back court. DT, originally a shooting guard, revolutionized the PG position as a scoring PG because you had to play equally as a scorer or as a assist person for her less talented teammates.

Dominant- A player who is the singular difference (separation) that propels a team to a champion(s) level and must be account for every single time. A dominant player doesn't beat themselves and they win championships. Here comes the controversial parts: 1) Britney Griner IMO would not have been considered a "dominant" player without that singular championship. 2) Stewie was dominant but not transcendent because we had seen something similar at that position in Candace Parker-as much as people on this board are going to hate that comparison. 3) Both transcendent and dominant are easier to acknowledge if the end result is championships.

If you go look at a basketball record book you might conclude that Wilt was the most dominant BB player who ever lived. If you look at Bill Russell fingers you will know better.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Transcendent- Revolutionizes the game or the way a position is played. Magic Johnson a 6'9" player revolutionized the PG position. Scottie Pippen revolutionized basketball with the invention of the point forward position where the bulls offense was ran thought the forward position vs that other HoF playing in the Bulls back court. DT, originally a shooting guard, revolutionized the PG position as a scoring PG because you had to play equally as a scorer or as a assist person for her less talented teammates.

Dominant- A player who is the singular difference (separation) that propels a team to a champion(s) level and must be account for every single time. A dominant player doesn't beat themselves and they win championships. Here comes the controversial parts: 1) Britney Griner IMO would not have been considered a "dominant" player without that singular championship. 2) Stewie was dominant but not transcendent because we had seen something similar at that position in Candace Parker-as much as people on this board are going to hate that comparison. 3) Both transcendent and dominant are easier to acknowledge if the end result is championships.

If you go look at a basketball record book you might conclude that Wilt was the most dominant BB player who ever lived. If you look at Bill Russell fingers you will know better.
Respectfully, I would suggest the point forward position was effectively introduced by Larry Bird with Pippen coming along a few years later.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
2) Stewie was dominant but not transcendent because we had seen something similar at that position in Candace Parker-as much as people on this board are going to hate that comparison.

I disagree. Stewart was not similar to Parker in college in one important respect: three-point shooting. Parker made 17 three-pointers in 3 years at Tennessee. Stewart made 152 three-pointers in 4 years at UConn. The ability of Stewart to shoot the 3 at 6'4" made her transcendent in a way Parker never was.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sabrina is not a dominating player. WCBB has not had a "dominating" player since Stewie graduated.

Comparable players to Sabrina with some noteworthy NCAA accomplishments within the last decade at the "Guard" position:
Angel McCoughtry-3X AA, 20 PPG, 9.1 RPG (Both higher than Sabrina' career averages)
Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins 2X AA
Kayla McBride-2X AA
Jewell Loyd-2X AA in 3 years of WCBB despite ALWAYS playing with another AA in the backcourt.
Kelsey Mitchell-3X AA
Asia Durr-2X AA
IMO you can't be "transcendent" if you have this many comparable players many of whom are peers of Sabrina. BTW if you suggest removing Angel and Kayla as more Small forwards than guards I can find suitable replacements starting with Tiffany Mitchell.

Sabrina is far better than almost everyone listed here.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I would suggest the point forward position was effectively introduced by Larry Bird with Pippen coming along a few years later.

And some would argue that Larry Bird was simply a better version of Rick Barry.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Their team chemistry is fine! Been at practices and I know some of the girls personally! Only graduated 2 years ago. They are stronger than ever! Also, queen and smith are going to be really good this year! Also, decosta! I’m seriously offended that the defending national champions aren’t picked to make it to the final four when we return pretty much the same team

This is not the place to be offended because your team was not picked to finish as high as you think they should. Several years ago, I suggested that UConn should be ranked number 1 in the preseason polls because they were the reigning national champions. They had just lost Brianna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck.

That post was met with an avalanche of scorn, disagreement and cynicism. Their take was that this year’s team is not last year’s team. The fact that they lost 3/5 of their starters was significant. Don’t take it personal. The critics here look forward not backward. If your team is worthy of that type of recognition and praise, they’ll have to earn it between the lines against “quality “ competitors, not the cupcakes she schedules in the preseason.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins 2X AA
Kayla McBride-2X AA
Kelsey Mitchell-3X AA
Asia Durr-2X AA
You're selling Jefferson a little short there. She was also a 2 time AA and 2 time NLC PG award winner.

Reaction Score
Or Barry’s contemporary, Bill Bradley.

Fair point. But Bradley didn't rebound like Barry and Bird. Bradley averaged 3.2 rebounds/game for his career, while Barry was at 6.5 and Bird was 10.0.

Reaction Score
Their team chemistry is fine! Been at practices and I know some of the girls personally! Only graduated 2 years ago. They are stronger than ever! Also, queen and smith are going to be really good this year! Also, decosta! I’m seriously offended that the defending national champions aren’t picked to make it to the final four when we return pretty much the same team

That's a lot of exclamation points.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

You had me at transcendent and lost me at rings. By that definition Robert Horry is the most dominant and possibly greatest forward that ever played.

Reaction Score
Cats don't have the discipline to play team sports. They tend towards gold and tennis.

Reaction Score

Baylor lost their pg and their center off that team. 40% of the starters. How is that "pretty much the same"? Cox was great but those 2 were the keys to the team.
And how has Baylor done in similar situations? Griner's team went undefeated and returned "pretty much the same team". They got taken down in the S16.
Winning a title requires more than just talent. Winning 2 in a row is something only 2 programs have acheived in the modern era.

Reaction Score
Baylor lost their pg and their center off that team. 40% of the starters. How is that "pretty much the same"? Cox was great but those 2 were the keys to the team.
And how has Baylor done in similar situations? Griner's team went undefeated and returned "pretty much the same team". They got taken down in the S16.
Winning a title requires more than just talent. Winning 2 in a row is something only 2 programs have acheived in the modern era.

There you go, "seriously offending" again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Belebi is far more transcendent than sabrina.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Also, maybe we've all just subconsciously soaked up sports journalism, but the AP, NCAA, and High Post Hoops have all described Ionescu as "transcendent." For example:

It's ok for someone other than UConn to have the star player once in a while, y'all. I expect the words "Bueckers" and "transcendent" will also be used together a lot starting in 2021.

Star player? Of course. But no matter what the media says, a transcendent player is dominant in big games against the best competition. They elevate in big games. Stewart was the MVP in all 4 final fours she played in. She played her best basketball in the biggest games. Parker is another who "transcended" in college. Transcendent players have an answer for anything an opponent tries. To be figuratively head and shoulders above everyone else it is useful to be literally head and shoulders taller.

Ask a bowler who has just had a perfect game which of his fingers was most valuable and they will look at you like you are crazy. But when instead of fingers it's players, we suddenly have to rank them. As much as this type of discussion fills time until November it's the team I pay attention to once the season starts. UConn players never dominate national statistics like scoring. Very few UConn players historically have had triple doubles. I'm fine with that. Sure I applauded when Gabby had hers but it's a side show to the game. Stats and individual awards are a consolation prize to fans of also-ran teams.

Reaction Score

Courtney Vandersloot
Skylar Diggins 2X AA
Kayla McBride-2X AA
Kelsey Mitchell-3X AA
Asia Durr-2X AA
Incorrect

Reaction Score
Lol 2 players out of 12 players are gone. Ten players return from the championship team! 6 of the 10 played significant minutes last year so yeah pretty much the same team! Also, Kalani Brown being gone for Baylor won’t matter much since the offense last year pretty much ran through Lauren cox with all her abilities

Reaction Score
Lol 2 players out of 12 players are gone. Ten players return from the championship team! 6 of the 10 played significant minutes last year so yeah pretty much the same team! Also, Kalani Brown being gone for Baylor won’t matter much since the offense last year pretty much ran through Lauren cox with all her abilities

You can juggle the facts all you want but they lost their AA center and their pg (70 mins/game), without whom Baylor is a different offense and not anywhere near as big. Now they may go undefeated because there is talent but you don't appreciate the pressure of defending a title.
UConn "only" lost 2 players too. They will be an entirely new team this year, despite all the familiar faces.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom