Andy Katz Final Four Picks | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz Final Four Picks

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The whole starting 5 is back for A&M and they made it as far as SC in the Tournament. Carter should revert back to or even better than her Freshman year in FG%, 3 Pt Pct, Fat% assists and lower turnovers. She should benefit from the USA team play this past summer. The other teams you are implying are SC and MSU who have new players to mesh in and in the SC case, a stronger team chemistry issue to resolve as dissension became apparent with Cooper leaving and MHH wanting to leave but reconsidering. You also have to integrate a huge freshman class of talent. When large classes of talent arrive, there are almost always issues and transfers from them. See Baylor, Texas, UConn, Louisville, UNCheat all as recent examples of this. Vic has to show he can replace his star player and maintain elite status. I simply have more faith in A&M as they have less questions than both SC and MSU. BTW It’s not like I hate any of these teams. :cool:

What makes you think Carter will increase her percentages and her A/TO ratio? And is integrating talent a bad thing? Especially when it is the #1 class? Also worth noting is that the class only has 4 scholarship players and there are a lot of openings for playing time with 3-4 starters leaving but a good PG and post player returning.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M has a fantastic cast surrounding Carter, and, is good enough with/without Carter to win the SEC. N'dea Jones had 2 x 20+ rebounding games last season, Ciera Johnson, junior BIG, has started every game since her freshman year, Kayla Wells, junior, was the SEC's most improved player last year, Jordan Nixon, transfer from Notre Dame, and another returning starter at guard, senior Shambria Washington. I watched this team beat Oregon State last year, and the talent is there. Throughout last season Texas A&M just got better. And, they have a fine coach in Gary Blair. Call me surprised if they are not the SEC champs next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Baylor’s going to surprise a lot of you guys! T’ea Cooper is fine and Baylor will be fine! It’s going to be a good season!

Is the boyfriend no longer a distraction? Lots of press on that this summer.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sabrina has been very good in her first three year but I would not call her a "dominating" player. She has 24 loses in her first three years and only 1 FF appearance.

I've read only a few of the posts in this thread but I do have a couple of thoughts on Sabrina. I'm a big fan. The more I watch her the more I like her. I was really impressed with her play in the 3x3 Pan Am games.

That said, if Sabrina is to be considered "dominating" or among the elite players in WCBB she has to change this:

Oregon v Baylor, Final Four Semi-final

Start of 4th Quarter Baylor 56 Oregon 55

9:24 Sabrina Ionescu turnover
5:37 Sabrina Ionescu missed jumper
4:18 Sabrina Ionescu missed three point jumper
2:39 Sabrina Ionescu missed jumper
2:26 Sabrina Ionescu missed lay-up
1:45 Sabrina Ionescu missed three-point jumper
0:55 Sabrina Ionescu missed lay-up
0:11 Sabrina Ionescu missed three point jumper

Truly transcendent players meet the moment.

I suspect the 4th quarter of the Baylor game is a big part of Sabrina's unfinished business.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Someone who leads College Basketball history in triple doubles (17) shattering a 4 year record (13) midway through her junior year is the definition of dominating. Of course, even the best players can have a bad game when the other team's single focus is to make things difficult for you.

I am sure after some generally unavoidable growing pains (and after getting rid of Katie Smith), she will be a perennial all-star in the WNBA for the Liberty. :)

Reaction Score
I've read only a few of the posts in this thread but I do have a couple of thoughts on Sabrina. I'm a big fan. The more I watch her the more I like her. I was really impressed with her play in the 3x3 Pan Am games.

That said, if Sabrina is to be considered "dominating" or among the elite players in WCBB she has to change this:

I suspect the 4th quarter of the Baylor game is a big part of Sabrina's unfinished business.
Any past/present WCBB player, we can find an example of what is posted above. Anyone that has watched a dozen or more games that Sabrina has played in her college career recognizes and acknowledges that she is a once in a decade dominating player. Being an OSU Beaver fan, I have seen Sabrina play in person for 3 consecutive years. Have not seen a better player in WCBB in person. She is the real deal.

Reaction Score
Someone who leads College Basketball history in triple doubles (17) shattering a 4 year record (13) midway through her junior year is the definition of dominating. Of course, even the best players can have a bad game when the other team's single focus is to make things difficult for you.

I am sure after some generally unavoidable growing pains (and after getting rid of Katie Smith), she will be a perennial all-star in the WNBA for the Liberty. :)

She’s a great player. But record for triple doubles would be more impressive if she wasn’t left in blow out games for the sole purpose of achieving a triple double.

Reaction Score
Any past/present WCBB player, we can find an example of what is posted above. Anyone that has watched a dozen or more games that Sabrina has played in her college career recognizes and acknowledges that she is a once in a decade dominating player. Being an OSU Beaver fan, I have seen Sabrina play in person for 3 consecutive years. Have not seen a better player in WCBB in person. She is the real deal.
Agree, Sabrina is a great WBB player, she has that most important quality that makes a great player, The DESIRE to win and WILLINGNESS to give the effort required to WIN!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agree, Sabrina is a great WBB player, she has that most important quality that makes a great player, The DESIRE to win and WILLINGNESS to give the effort required to WIN!

add CONFIDENCE and SMARTS

Reaction Score

She also disappeared in the second half of the ND game the year before.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cooper was addition by subtraction. MHH wanted to leave because she felt like she wasn’t the focal point of the offense after sitting most of the Belmont game. She will be that this year for sure. From the coaches mouths she has taken a full 360 turn around in her overall game and attitude. The team also already has great chemistry. Of course you don’t follow them like I do but they spend ALL of their time with each other everyday. They should know what the next girl ate for breakfast without her even telling. Everyone always has questions because they haven’t seen it on the floor yet. I think A&M will be good but everyone has a different opinion.
I like your optimism. I chuckle, as on one hand, the Baylor supporters love adding Cooper, denying there is turmoil where ever she goes, the SC faithful believe that eliminating Cooper helps their club but are in denial that MHH posting to the portal was only a "misunderstanding" which seems rather extreme level to go to over a "misunderstanding" to me. I happen to like MHH however there does seem to be a communication issue with Dawn given all the transfers in/out over these past 4 years. Were players unaware of what was expected-so they transferred? Or were players not capable of playing in Dawn's system, thereby unaware of what Dawn was selling or is it a miss by Dawn and staff on the make-up of these players? While transfers are the new norm, SC has had a higher percentage than most. I have posted previously about how large classes of recruits don't fare well staying in the original program and given that SC has a large class coming in, they won't fare well together either give the history of this program and all P5/top 25 programs and recruits. Immediate chemistry is far from a given and while many programs tout the preseason chemistry as you did the leadership is key. Harris is awesome but MHH posting to the portal shows a lack of leadership whether you believe it or not and puts the annual "chemistry touting" suspect until we see the season unfold. Just because I put Texas A&M ahead of MSU and SC doesn't mean I dislike either program-both have great coaches, quality players but A&M returns more "known" players-the whole starting 5 that when to the Sweet 16 and a quality coach. It will be a good competition to watch. :)

Reaction Score
I like your optimism. I chuckle, as on one hand, the Baylor supporters love adding Cooper, denying there is turmoil where ever she goes, the SC faithful believe that eliminating Cooper helps their club but are in denial that MHH posting to the portal was only a "misunderstanding" which seems rather extreme level to go to over a "misunderstanding" to me. I happen to like MHH however there does seem to be a communication issue with Dawn given all the transfers in/out over these past 4 years. Were players unaware of what was expected-so they transferred? Or were players not capable of playing in Dawn's system, thereby unaware of what Dawn was selling or is it a miss by Dawn and staff on the make-up of these players? While transfers are the new norm, SC has had a higher percentage than most. I have posted previously about how large classes of recruits don't fare well staying in the original program and given that SC has a large class coming in, they won't fare well together either give the history of this program and all P5/top 25 programs and recruits. Immediate chemistry is far from a given and while many programs tout the preseason chemistry as you did the leadership is key. Harris is awesome but MHH posting to the portal shows a lack of leadership whether you believe it or not and puts the annual "chemistry touting" suspect until we see the season unfold. Just because I put Texas A&M ahead of MSU and SC doesn't mean I dislike either program-both have great coaches, quality players but A&M returns more "known" players-the whole starting 5 that when to the Sweet 16 and a quality coach. It will be a good competition to watch. :)

You make a great case and I’m definitely not arguing against it. Yes SC has had a high transfer rate but when you look back none of those transfers were big factors in SC’s success during their time in Columbia. Jatarie White and Cooper were the only highly rated transfers but white was merely a bench player at SC. Kaydra Duckett transferred and didn’t even continue her basketball career. Arion Bradshaw was a bench player as was Victoria Patrick and Ladazhia Williams. Bianca Jackson transfer hurt me personally because I felt like she would’ve been a starter and could’ve grown. But I doubt her leaving will hurt the team. Even back when Bone left the program SC still was very good. These are bench players leaving for better opportunities same as Miss St who has had at least 5 leave or dismissed in the last 2 years because lack of playing time or scholarship room.

As far as MHH goes we won’t see her leadership until the actual games are being played but from the coaches she has stepped up and as a fan I believe in it. She wants to play in the WNBA so I can understand her frustrations of not being utilized properly especially when she was clearly the best one on the team to end the year last year. Cooper was far too inconsistent and Jennings was struggling with injuries the whole year. Dawn has said KiKi will be the player we go to when we need a score in a critical situation. I don’t think she had the confidence to say that about her last year and that means Dawn really trusts her. Le Le Grissett will also be one of the leaders on this team. She has waited her turn behind some very good players and will definitely surprise a lot of people this year with her development.

As far as our freshman class goes yes it’s large but none of them play the same position and all 4 could be starters next year. I don’t see any of them leave unless it’s personal or one of them is dismissed. Olivia Thompson is a walk on but could earn her scholarship as soon as this year. She’s that good. All of them speak very highly of the program as does their parents so I really don’t see a reason for any of them to leave. But of course I don’t know the future so anything can happen.

Lastly like I said everyone has their own personal opinion and to think A&M will be the best based on their returning 5 and experience is a good reason. I just feel like they won’t have the depth or talent to fulfill that.Their starting 5 is good and Washington was solid but who do they have off the bench to provide a lift? Also A&M hasn’t beaten SC in almost 6 years and the last time they won the SEC was 2013 when they had superior talented team to everyone else. Theydon’t have more talent than everyone else this year. Dawn has also out coached Blair on multiple occasions including last year in College Station. Not to mention the game against them will be the final SEC game and in Columbia. I just feel like everyone should wait until they actually hit the court before assuming they’re the favorites that’s all.

Reaction Score
She’s a great player. But record for triple doubles would be more impressive if she wasn’t left in blow out games for the sole purpose of achieving a triple double.

I don't care how many minutes. There have been a lot of "one player" teams but no one comes close to her TD record. That was at the level of Boston's record long jump in '68. A record obliterated.
And while other all-time-greats have had their stinkers, often in big games, they are all-time-greats because they have also come up huge in big games. Ionescu deserves another chance. But if she fails again she faces being known for her TD's alone.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Stewart. Griner. Moore. All players within the last decade who were more dominant (albeit in different ways) than Sabrina. She's a special talent but a big piece of her college basketball legacy is going to be determined by how she performs at the Final Four in April, assuming Oregon is still competing. Last year she really struggled against Baylor, this year she has a shot at redemption.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You make a great case and I’m definitely not arguing against it. Yes SC has had a high transfer rate but when you look back none of those transfers were big factors in SC’s success during their time in Columbia. Jatarie White and Cooper were the only highly rated transfers but white was merely a bench player at SC. Kaydra Duckett transferred and didn’t even continue her basketball career. Arion Bradshaw was a bench player as was Victoria Patrick and Ladazhia Williams. Bianca Jackson transfer hurt me personally because I felt like she would’ve been a starter and could’ve grown. But I doubt her leaving will hurt the team. Even back when Bone left the program SC still was very good. These are bench players leaving for better opportunities same as Miss St who has had at least 5 leave or dismissed in the last 2 years because lack of playing time or scholarship room.

As far as MHH goes we won’t see her leadership until the actual games are being played but from the coaches she has stepped up and as a fan I believe in it. She wants to play in the WNBA so I can understand her frustrations of not being utilized properly especially when she was clearly the best one on the team to end the year last year. Cooper was far too inconsistent and Jennings was struggling with injuries the whole year. Dawn has said KiKi will be the player we go to when we need a score in a critical situation. I don’t think she had the confidence to say that about her last year and that means Dawn really trusts her. Le Le Grissett will also be one of the leaders on this team. She has waited her turn behind some very good players and will definitely surprise a lot of people this year with her development.

As far as our freshman class goes yes it’s large but none of them play the same position and all 4 could be starters next year. I don’t see any of them leave unless it’s personal or one of them is dismissed. Olivia Thompson is a walk on but could earn her scholarship as soon as this year. She’s that good. All of them speak very highly of the program as does their parents so I really don’t see a reason for any of them to leave. But of course I don’t know the future so anything can happen.

Lastly like I said everyone has their own personal opinion and to think A&M will be the best based on their returning 5 and experience is a good reason. I just feel like they won’t have the depth or talent to fulfill that.Their starting 5 is good and Washington was solid but who do they have off the bench to provide a lift? Also A&M hasn’t beaten SC in almost 6 years and the last time they won the SEC was 2013 when they had superior talented team to everyone else. Theydon’t have more talent than everyone else this year. Dawn has also out coached Blair on multiple occasions including last year in College Station. Not to mention the game against them will be the final SEC game and in Columbia. I just feel like everyone should wait until they actually hit the court before assuming they’re the favorites that’s all.

Agree with all of this--but to further bolster your point, they only won the SEC tournament in 2013, not the regular season. And they were a 4 seed that year. A&M could be dangerous this year but I have a lot more faith in Vic/Dawn, especially since they have good pieces returning and have dominated the conference the past 6 years.

Reaction Score
Stewart. Griner. Moore. All players within the last decade who were more dominant (albeit in different ways) than Sabrina. She's a special talent but a big piece of her college basketball legacy is going to be determined by how she performs at the Final Four in April, assuming Oregon is still competing. Last year she really struggled against Baylor, this year she has a shot at redemption.
Well, I wish I had seen Stewart, Griner, Maya Moore play in person, but no such luck.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of this--but to further bolster your point, they only won the SEC tournament in 2013, not the regular season. And they were a 4 seed that year. A&M could be dangerous this year but I have a lot more faith in Vic/Dawn, especially since they have good pieces returning and have dominated the conference the past 6 years.

You’re right I actually thought they won the regular season as well but I think Tennessee or Kentucky won that year. I definitely think A&M could take it this year but they have some kinks to work out just like everyone else. It will have to start with Carter putting the team first. Until then SC and Miss St should be mentioned right along with them IMO.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You’re right I actually thought they won the regular season as well but I think Tennessee or Kentucky won that year. I definitely think A&M could take it this year but they have some kinks to work out just like everyone else. It will have to start with Carter putting the team first. Until then SC and Miss St should be mentioned right along with them IMO.

Agree. Honestly both Kentucky and Tennessee could be in the mix too. Howard might compete for SEC POY and Tennessee has a ton of talent that might be unleashed with better coaching.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How can Katz have no feline teams in the Final Four?

A&M? Um, no.
No fowl either? :confused:

Note that the Stanford “Cardinal” is a color, not a bird. Their mascot is a tree. :oops:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom