Andre Jackson ranking update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson ranking update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Borges article

“I’m really ready for the next chapter,” added Jackson. “I’m thankful for all the things that Coach Fruscio and Albany Academy did for me, but I’m really ready to make this next step and get myself together so I can go to UConn and play the next four years of my life there.”

One and done doesn't seem to be on his mind as of now
If you seriously give that quote any weight you are very naive.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I’m not suggesting he will or should stay all four years if and when there’s an obvious professional opportunity for him, but I thought it was interesting that he would say that unprompted. As a fan I appreciate the fact that he’s setting out to graduate and is fully bought in to the program. My eyes are wide open to his talent and NBA future.

Reaction Score
I’m not suggesting he will or should stay all four years if and when there’s an obvious professional opportunity for him, but I thought it was interesting that he would say that unprompted. As a fan I appreciate the fact that he’s setting out to graduate and is fully bought in to the program. My eyes are wide open to his talent and NBA future.
your user name is great. Also, andre jackson will be great

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If AJ is able to achieve anything close to expectations I will definitely need to add the Syracuse message board to my regular rotation.

I can't remember a sweeter recruiting coup.

DH could miss on the next 100 recruits and would still be in plus territory in my book.

... icing on the cake that he seems to be an awesome youngster

Reaction Score
Is the question "what former UConn player does his game least resemble?"
No man, don't do me like that. @CL82 was posing a question about deja vu, and that followed all this talk of masks and such, and I wondered what he was getting at so I said "Rashad", because of that whole mask thing with the rubber knife and the bushes, remember.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Funny though, what you said.

Reaction Score
I heard he is the best player on the team. In fact just to make the games fair we might only play 2 on 5. Coles and Jackson. If he sits out next Season he will be the best player in the history of the universe according to the boneyard. :D Sounds like he is going to be a very nice player but I suspect he is a year away from first round status. Needs a year of physical development then a second year to show it off is what I hear.

Reaction Score
I wear them to appear to be a good citizen but the typical cloth masks don’t block this small microscopic virus. The N95 only block it in water droplet form - from a cough or sneeze. The virus from breathing or talking doesn’t even get caught in an N95. That typically blocks 2.5 microns particle matter to 0.06 to 0.14 for the non water droplet COVID-19 virus. All this assumes they fit snugly, if not they are even less effective. I know people and politicians want the visible sign of security of these masks being worn but as NY, NJ and CT death tolls show it’s not working - we would be better off just being outside, wAshing hands, social distancing, especially when the weather is warm, sunny and humid.
unless there is an aerosolizing procedure being performed on the patient (high flow oxygen, nebulizer, intubation etc.) hospitals aren’t requiring staff to wear N95 in Covid rooms

Reaction Score
unless there is an aerosolizing procedure being performed on the patient (high flow oxygen, nebulizer, intubation etc.) hospitals aren’t requiring staff to wear N95 in Covid rooms

is that because they don’t have an abundance of them Or because it’s not a concern? Or is it because they assume all the staff are already infected even if asymptotic?
Things that would have gotten someone written up in the past are now “ok”? U would never wear a mask from one room to the next Let alone for a week

Reaction Score
is that because they don’t have an abundance of them Or because it’s not a concern? Or is it because they assume all the staff are already infected even if asymptotic?
Things that would have gotten someone written up in the past are now “ok”? U would never wear a mask from one room to the next Let alone for a week
Thats exactly is. They’re asking us to do things (re-use N95, surgical masks) that were essentially fireable 6 months ago. Seems they’ve settled on COVID patients with non aerosolizing procedures and not actively coughing (subjective) are simply droplet and not airborne precautions. The re-using of the masks in these rooms is still terrible infection control and I imagine that is simply due to lack of abundance or a perceived lack. These units are covered in covid. In and out of rooms with same vital sign machines and computers, though we “clean” them. This is the setting in units all over country.

Reaction Score

Adam Finkelstein ranks UConn 2nd in incoming BIG EAST recruiting rankings
I believe we would have been 2nd in the Big East last years class too. Behind Xavier iirc. No worse than 3rd. Alas they don’t give awards for that. We had a top 10 class in the nation and lost to Wagner AND Northeastern.

Reaction Score
No, you aren't thinking broad enough. Simply looks at demographics. Right now, with lock down, our health system is coming apart at the seems in areas. We simply do not have the infrastructural capacity to pull this off.

Also, without a vaccine, herd immunity is physically impossible for something that one cannot 'beat'. It ain't chicken pox.

I mean, I realize I can't argue with someone who's advocating for higher percentages of people to die. At it's basic level, it's a form of eugenics. Very, very weird and immoral hill to die on.

You are being snow jobbed by impatient politicians and business interests, pushing that idea because they want things to start up.

Oh, and as @WingU-Conn states, since you've expressed caring about this particular topic in the past, you'll be killing off a higher percentage of black and poor folks. Which is probably a plus in the minds of some of our populace. And what he didn't mention, is these people have far less access to treatment than wealthier folks. More adverse outcomes. Again, eugenics.

If you are trusting the WHO with anything, I mean anything, you are doing it wrong. They have been on the wrong side of this from day 1. They continue to be. And not for nothing, but it's no surprise that China has significant influence over that organization.

Look at demographics? Does Sweden have the highest death rate among all the countries on that chart? None of those countries are as diverse as the USA and they all have National Healthcare Systems and look where the USA stands on its death rate compared to them.

And, the guidance given to local health departments for this flu may be artificially inflating the number of deaths that have actually been caused by this virus. The CDC guidance said if a patient who died was suspected of having this virus, no matter whether they were tested or not and no matter that there was no proof they had it, and despite the other underlying conditions they had, the death was to be counted as a Covid-19 death.

How, and where, is the healthcare system coming apart at the seams? New York City where the Mayor and Health Commissioner were telling people as late as March 3 to go out to restaurants (and earlier in February to the Chinatown Parade)?
The major problem hospitals around the country have is lost revenue from having to shut down elective admissions to wait for the flood of virus patients that never came.

Vaccines will be the answer? How many successful vaccines have been produced for SARS, MERS, and the various iterations of the seasonal flu? SARS and MERS went away on their own and the seasonal flu annually kills 30-60,000 people while the 2017-18 season saw 80,000 deaths, possibly more than we'll have from this virus: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...e-died-of-flu-complications-last-season-in-us

Politicians and businesses want to speed up reopening the economy? How about the average employee with a mortgage and other bills to pay? Look at the demographics and see who's at risk. It's mainly those of retirement age with serious underlying conditions. Not all people are able as you may be to take 8 to 10 weeks off from work and not lose their businesses, homes, ability to pay tuition for their kids, etc.

Take a look at the statistics regarding who and how many are being seriously harmed by this virus. It's the elderly with underlying conditions that have suffered the vast majority of the serious cases and deaths. Immune systems lose their ability to fight these viruses as you age. 64% of the deaths in Hartford County were nursing home patients and in my county in South Carolina all the less than ten deaths were people over the age of 65. People mocked the Governor of Florida but his approach focused on shielding the elderly by closing nursing homes and assisted living facilities to anyone other than staff and health care providers and their death rate is very low compared to most states.

Increased randomized testing is showing as many as 15-20% of the population have contracted the virus, most with no symptoms, including many children and young adults. Instead of shutting down the schools it now appears they should have been kept open to speed the development of natural herd immunity.

Eugenics? It appears it's diabetes and morbid obesity, conditions rare among the poor of other countries, even in the poorest countries of Africa, that are complicating the cases of many elderly and minority patients and leading to higher death rates among those groups so let's not make this a racial issue. Or are you a Margaret Sanger disciple?

Reaction Score
And, the guidance given to local health departments for this flu may be artificially inflating the number of deaths that have actually been caused by this virus. The CDC guidance said if a patient who died was suspected of having this virus, no matter whether they were tested or not and no matter that there was no proof they had it, and despite the other underlying conditions they had, the death was to be counted as a Covid-19 death.

Increased randomized testing is showing as many as 15-20% of the population have contracted the virus, most with no symptoms, including many children and young adults. Instead of shutting down the schools it now appears they should have been kept open to speed the development of natural herd immunity.

You're very wrong about a lot of this. Deaths aren't being overreported. If anything, they are being underreported. Pneumonia deaths are in some places 1.5x their usual. You think that is a coincidence? You're regurgitating a speculative talking point with no evidence.

You think way more of the population has it than we currently know and yet at the same time you think there's been an overreporting of deaths? It's not a cogent position.

the seasonal flu annually kills 30-60,000 people while the 2017-18 season saw 80,000 deaths, possibly more than we'll have from this virus: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...e-died-of-flu-complications-last-season-in-us

Seasonal flu has an epidemiologist estimated IFR (total infection fatality rate, not just confirmed cases) of 0.04%.

Already more than 0.15% of New York City has died of COVID (confirmed, not including presumed). So that's the absolute baseline of IFR at 4x the rate of seasonal flu. Anitbody testing shows that likely only ~20% of NYC has had the virus so far, putting the IFR actually at 5x higher than 0.15% = 0.75%. So that's about 19x the flu's death rate.

Confirmed case fatality rate (CFR) of the flu is annually estimated around 0.1%. So far we're at 5.9% and rising for COVID (as patients who were confirmed as cases earlier later die). So that's 50x+ the flu's CFR.

If we keep deaths below that of a bad flu pandemic (80k), then we've really done our job with social distancing. All infectivity studies I've seen have shown COVID as more contagious than influenza. So if we let COVID get to the same attack rate of the population as yearly influenza (essentially no social distancing), using that conservative 19x (0.75% IFR) number we'd expect 1.1 million deaths instead of 60k. That would be the same as COMBINING the #1 and #2 yearly causes of human death in the US (heart disease and cancer).

Stop comparing COVID deaths to the flu when thinking about policy. It does a disservice to any good points you make.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're very wrong about a lot of this. Deaths aren't being overreported. If anything, they are being underreported. Pneumonia deaths are in some places 1.5x their usual. You think that is a coincidence? You're regurgitating a speculative talking point with no evidence.

You think way more of the population has it than we currently know and yet at the same time you think there's been an overreporting of deaths? It's not a cogent position.

Seasonal flu has an epidemiologist estimated IFR (total infection fatality rate, not just confirmed cases) of 0.04%.

Already more than 0.15% of New York City has died of COVID (confirmed, not including presumed). So that's the absolute baseline of IFR at 4x the rate of seasonal flu. Anitbody testing shows that likely only ~20% of NYC has had the virus so far, putting the IFR actually at 5x higher than 0.15% = 0.75%. So that's about 19x the flu's death rate.

Confirmed case fatality rate (CFR) of the flu is annually estimated around 0.1%. So far we're at 5.9% and rising for COVID (as patients who were confirmed as cases earlier later die). So that's 50x+ the flu's CFR.

If we keep deaths below that of a bad flu pandemic (80k), then we've really done our job with social distancing. All infectivity studies I've seen have shown COVID as more contagious than influenza. So if we let COVID get to the same attack rate of the population as yearly influenza (essentially no social distancing), using that conservative 19x (0.75% IFR) number we'd expect 1.1 million deaths instead of 60k. That would be the same as COMBINING the #1 and #2 yearly causes of human death in the US (heart disease and cancer).

Stop comparing COVID deaths to the flu when thinking about policy. It does a disservice to any good points you make.
The thing is we just can't be certain on any numbers. They are reporting everthing a Covid death in some states. If you were already in heart failure or had a week to live with cancer and you test positive for Covid, you are listed as a Covid death. Other areas seem to be underreporting.

It would seem the numbers would be higher because there looks to be excess deaths but we also know people are dying at home from other diseases because they're scared to got to hospitals because of Covid.

There are a whole bunch of different things going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom