Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All fans please note. Dont blame Geno for this. It was coming. The team comes first and some of the tweets Ive read in this thread are dead wrong. The right thing in this instance for the team .

If you are saying a coach's action for cause would be right---I agree. I you are saying Geno is not responsible for his words--I can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I could speak of a political person who spoke to "his" own special audience--was video'd as he was speaking the word "47" and destroyed his career. Geno ain't the first or the last public figure to use words he should n't have used. He and we have to know, this new world of everyone with a cell phone, you will be caught .
Perhaps he didn't care if he "got caught." Perhaps he meant to say what he said, and has no problem with anyone hearing it. I don't agree they were "words he shouldn't have used," and don't know what the big deal is.

Reaction Score
Perhaps he didn't care if he "got caught." Perhaps he meant to say what he said, and has no problem with anyone hearing it. I don't agree they were "words he shouldn't have used," and don't know what the big deal is.

OPINIONs are not facts, can be, everyone is entitled to their OPINION--
Geno is the Boss--his way or the high way--Geno is responsible for the words he uses--not anyone else.
I don't like much of what Geno does with his players--that's an OPINION You may like everything he does--that's YOUR OPINION. -

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
My take on this is:

A) Geno and the coaching staff made a huge recruiting mistake, bringing in 4 players of similar positions (with Camara and Stevens coming in as well). Way too many guards
B) In reality, only Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, knows as well)
C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come)
D) AEH, in my opinion, will probably end up at either Mississippi State or Duke (can't see her at Louisville or USC) and she will end up as being one of the best shooting guards in the country once she gets to her eligible Junior Year in college.
E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame
F) UCONN is not necessarily for everyone HS All-American (see: EDD, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Courtney Ekmark), but is good for some (Katie Lou, Stewie, etc)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every Uconn recruit is recruited to have the POTENTIAL to make an impact--starting or from the bench.

Or as a practice player and that's not going to make a lot of players happy. Ratings are guesses and when players come here that's when the coaching staff determines what they have. Geno is not perfect and has made mistakes. The one thing I will say is that he is going to play those players who provide the team with the best chance of winning.

Reaction Score
My take on this is:

A) Geno and the coaching staff made a huge recruiting mistake, bringing in 4 players of similar positions (with Camara and Stevens coming in as well). Way too many guards
B) In reality, on Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, know as well)
C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come
D) AEH, in my opinion, will probably end up at either Mississippi State or Duke (can't see her at Louisville or USC) and she will end up as being one of the best shooting guards in the country once she gets to her eligible Junior Year in college.
E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame
F) UCONN is not necessarily for everyone HS All-American (see: EDD, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Courtney Ekmark), but is good for some (Katie Lou, Stewie, etc)

I don't think Griffin's high school coach will have the influence on her with recruiting that he had with Chong and possibly AEH. Don't get me wrong, he is respected by Griffin and her family but do not forget this is not the Griffin Families first time at the Rodeo. They know first hand about big time college recruiting. Both mom and dad played in college. Dad was in the NBA, continues to coach in the NBA and mom is a very accomplished strong willed person. No college coach will pull any wool over this families eyes. Did I forget to mention that Aubrey's 2 brothers are D1 prospects as well.

Reaction Score
Or as a practice player and that's not going to make a lot of players happy. Ratings are guesses and when players come here that's when the coaching staff determines what they have. Geno is not perfect and has made mistakes. The one thing I will say is that he is going to play those players who provide the team with the best chance of winning.
I rarely drink Geno cool aid --but it a big jump for you to go from player with Potential to Impact to practice players. ]\
Look at the current bench---for nearly 2 years , Molly and Irwin have been given more than adequate opportunities to show they should get prime time PT. Both were not outstanding highly ranked both had BB skills. Both show MOMENTs of their potential. Frosh are just frosh--they are not practice players--Geno pays guys to do that. I'd love to see the bench playing the entire 2n halves of the AAC games---they do have potential. OPINION--just me being me..

Reaction Score
\

Yep, rating are educated guesses based on viewings. The are not precise.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
... they are not practice players--Geno pays guys to do that.

Actually he does not pay the practice players. They are volunteers. See this article: COLLEGE BASKETBALL; For These Men, Lots of Guts But Little Glory

"Cofrancesco is one of hundreds of men who have become volunteer practice fodder for women's basketball teams at dozens of universities across the country, a practice condoned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. At UConn, for example, Cofrancesco is one of six male students who spend afternoons banging under the boards with the stars of Connecticut's two-time defending national champions."

"They must file all the same N.C.A.A. paperwork and meet the same academic standards as the female players, but they cannot travel to away games, cannot receive scholarships or payment, other than a limited amount of gear."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I seem to remember several boneyarders predicted that about A'ja Wilson when she declined UConn's offer. How'd that work out?
They were mistaken, but are you trying to draw parallels to A’ja and AEH because that is not logical.

Reaction Score

You are probably more than correct---the words really were not damning--they meant what most thought. Nothing about his wording was nothing that wasn't in his job description
My use of "getting caught" was not a good use of wording--but you "caught" me.
The whole over blown discussion --was enabled (chosen carefully) by people stepping in --in the apparent defense of Geno--where he required no defense.
My think is if anyone thought that wording inappropriate (if he thought so) then he shouldn't have said it in a forum that could be recorded--but he said and did nothing WRONG.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are not the player to whom he was referring. He was not addressing you, so you would not know what the big deal is.

Reaction Score
Not in my household and neck of the woods at that particular time. When I grew up, eastern Long Island was still a cluster of towns and/or villages set among truck farms and expanses of oak forests, and the LIE was not even all the way out towards Riverhead. Many north shore towns had more in common with southern New England in the way they were designed and the radio stations people listened to. So I didn't hear too much of the "what exit?" stuff until I was pretty much away at college and the large Suffolk-development was underway.

Dillon77, Thank you for the chance to reminisce. That is the Long Island I hold dear in my memories.

Reaction Score
My take on this is:

B) In reality, only Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, knows as well)
C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come)

I do not remember any where near the hullaballoo when Sadie Edwards transferred out.
Do you? Are times that different now?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Actually he does not pay the practice players. They are volunteers. See this article: COLLEGE BASKETBALL; For These Men, Lots of Guts But Little Glory

"Cofrancesco is one of hundreds of men who have become volunteer practice fodder for women's basketball teams at dozens of universities across the country, a practice condoned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. At UConn, for example, Cofrancesco is one of six male students who spend afternoons banging under the boards with the stars of Connecticut's two-time defending national champions."

"They must file all the same N.C.A.A. paperwork and meet the same academic standards as the female players, but they cannot travel to away games, cannot receive scholarships or payment, other than a limited amount of gear."
Probably you know this, but they do receive something priceless: A recommendation from Geno Auriemma.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shouldn't this be done already if she planned to play in the second semester next year and enroll in school for this second semester.
That's the norm when someone transfers, so this suggests that something is different. One advantage to waiting is that she'll have 3 full seasons of eligibility instead of 2.7 (5 semesters).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Did this young lady even take any visits to other schools.... or did she commit to Connecticut on the spot?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I do not remember any where near the hullaballoo when Sadie Edwards transferred out.
Do you? Are times that different now?

The thing about Sadie was that there were nasty cracks about her work ethic, picked up on an unofficial mike (if I remember correctly) on a victory parade either in Hartford or perhaps back on campus.

Since the young woman hadn't yet set foot on campus, the nature of the remarks seemed particularly cruel and unnecessary.

Things went downhill from there to the preordained conclusion, which ended with a whimper as you correctly recall.

Reaction Score
The thing about Sadie was that there were nasty cracks about her work ethic, picked up on an unofficial mike (if I remember correctly) on a victory parade either in Hartford or perhaps back on campus.

Since the young woman hadn't yet set foot on campus, the nature of the remarks seemed particularly cruel and unnecessary.

Things went downhill from there to the preordained conclusion, which ended with a whimper as you correctly recall.
It was during a victory parade. I remember GA saying, "She's lazy" and, "She's not coming here" to a couple of his players. Might have said more but that's all I heard. What I never understood was I believe this happened before Sadie committed. So, if he felt that way, why did he leave her offer open??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was during a victory parade. I remember GA saying, "She's lazy" and, "She's not coming here" to a couple of his players. Might have said more but that's all I heard. What I never understood was I believe this happened before Sadie committed. So, if he felt that way, why did he leave her offer open??

Not exactly. Sadie committed in March 2013 and the parade comments were made in April 2014. He never said "she's not coming here."

The only explanation for Geno recruiting Edwards was that he was concerned about a lack of guards at the time. Kia Nurse committed a few months later. Edwards transferring was best for all concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom