Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take on this is:

A) Geno and the coaching staff made a huge recruiting mistake, bringing in 4 players of similar positions (with Camara and Stevens coming in as well). Way too many guards
B) In reality, only Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, knows as well)

E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame
F) UCONN is not necessarily for everyone HS All-American (see: EDD, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Courtney Ekmark), but is good for some (Katie Lou, Stewie, etc)

I would say UConn isn't good for just some........it's good for the vast majority of recruits..........if you know anything about the program you would know that Geno and Co are loved and respected by former players from walk-ons to All-Americans.............. like Geno always says he's not concerned whether his players liked him for the four years they were in school, he's only concerned that they are better players and people after those four years........many players talk about that hellish freshman year but if they can get through it they come out stronger then they ever thought they could be..........I feel really badly for those that don't take on that challenge but understand that not everybody can do it............

Reaction Score
Not exactly. Sadie committed in March 2013 and the parade comments were made in April 2014. He never said "she's not coming here."

The only explanation for Geno recruiting Edwards was that he was concerned about a lack of guards at the time. Kia Nurse committed a few months later. Edwards transferring was best for all concerned.
I stand corrected on the timing. That changes the context (in my mind) tremendously. I did hear him say, "She's not coming here." Said it immediately after he said she was lazy. It sounded very sarcastic to me, which is hardly out of character. But I was surprised he was telling this to his players.

Reaction Score
My take on this is:

A) Geno and the coaching staff made a huge recruiting mistake, bringing in 4 players of similar positions (with Camara and Stevens coming in as well). Way too many guards
E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame

Regarding the four guards................I don't think Geno expected to get all four recruits and unlike some coaches, he wasn't going to just retract his offers............as we are seeing now, two of those guards are finally working their way into the rotation...............had AEH stuck it out, one of those spots might have been hers................regarding Aubrey Griffin, she would be foolish to eliminate UConn as a possible destination based on AEH's disappointing situation.............again, most recruits wouldn't trade the UConn experience for anything............

Reaction Score
The only thing I don’t understand is that why she has not chosen a school yet. Obviously she / her family made a quick decision but did not quite figure out how to take the next step quickly. Also I wonder if student / player is obligated to announce the potential school she considers to attend. If not, it just reminds me a bit of Diamond DeShield’esque.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't think Griffin's high school coach will have the influence on her with recruiting that he had with Chong and possibly AEH. Don't get me wrong, he is respected by Griffin and her family but do not forget this is not the Griffin Families first time at the Rodeo. They know first hand about big time college recruiting. Both mom and dad played in college. Dad was in the NBA, continues to coach in the NBA and mom is a very accomplished strong willed person. No college coach will pull any wool over this families eyes. Did I forget to mention that Aubrey's 2 brothers are D1 prospects as well.
I had to figure out who dad was, thanks
griffin_760_070515.jpg

Reaction Score
I missed what Geno said about AEH, is it still posted on the board somewhere?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Probably not. She visited UCONN in October 2014 & committed in December of 2014 as a Sopohmore.

Well hopefully this she will visit schools.... enjoy the process.... and if she commits to being a Blue Devil....I wont complain

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I stand corrected on the timing. That changes the context (in my mind) tremendously. I did hear him say, "She's not coming here." Said it immediately after he said she was lazy. It sounded very sarcastic to me, which is hardly out of character. But I was surprised he was telling this to his players.

I thought the "She's not coming here" comment was about A'ja Wilson who was also mentioned in the video. I'm not sure why he would have said Edwards wasn't coming to UConn when, at the time, she was due on campus in about 2 months. If he had said "I wish she weren't coming here" then I would have believed he was talking about Edwards.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The only thing I don’t understand is that why she has not chosen a school yet. Obviously she / her family made a quick decision but did not quite figure out how to take the next step quickly. Also I wonder if student / player is obligated to announce the potential school she considers to attend. If not, it just reminds me a bit of Diamond DeShield’esque.

AEH will be taking classes at Westchester County Community College and then will look to transfer in to another program beginning in the fall semester 2018. She'll then be eligible to play in the fall semester 2019 unless she files for a waiver from the year-in-residence requirement for transfers.

Reaction Score
AEH will be taking classes at Westchester County Community College and then will look to transfer in to another program beginning in the fall semester 2018. She'll then be eligible to play in the fall semester 2019 unless she files for a waiver from the year-in-residence requirement for transfers.
Wow so she will spend nearly two years out of the game, and it's not because of a severe injury? That's a hefty price to pay.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My take on this is:
B) In reality, only Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, knows as well)
C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come)
D) AEH, in my opinion, will probably end up at either Mississippi State or Duke (can't see her at Louisville or USC) and she will end up as being one of the best shooting guards in the country once she gets to her eligible Junior Year in college.
F) UCONN is not necessarily for everyone HS All-American (see: EDD, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Courtney Ekmark), but is good for some (Katie Lou, Stewie, etc)
Courtney Ekmark was not a HS All-American.
Serious question for you: Is there anything AEH could have done better or is she entirely blameless in your eyes?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow so she will spend nearly two years out of the game, and it's not because of a severe injury? That's a hefty price to pay.

That's why most who leave after the fall semester transfer in to a new school for the spring semester. They lose a 1/2 year of eligibility but don't have wait as long to play. AEH's path is unusual but perhaps needed to be.

Reaction Score
Probably not. She visited UCONN in October 2014 & committed in December of 2014 as a Sopohmore.
And if I remember correctly she was behind the bench at a few home games with other Ossining players and their coach before that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And if I remember correctly she was behind the bench at a few home games with other Ossining players and their coach before that.
That is correct. AEH began visiting UCONN when she was in 7th or 8th grade her first time around playing for Ossining HS and around the same time Saniya had signed with UCONN.
That would have been around 2012 when AEH was playing AAU ball for Apache Paschall (RIP).
I believe this picture of AEH with Geno is from around that timeframe.
AEH.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought the "She's not coming here" comment was about A'ja Wilson who was also mentioned in the video. I'm not sure why he would have said Edwards wasn't coming to UConn when, at the time, she was due on campus in about 2 months. If he had said "I wish she weren't coming here" then I would have believed he was talking about Edwards.
That makes more sense. I wouln’t have any idea where to find that clip so I’ll take your word for it :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why do BYers feel like we owe players that transfer gratitude? Is it just good nature or? I dont get it.
It's an interesting phenomena isn't it? I think it is a byproduct of the way the fan base follows recruiting and embraces income the incoming classes. It is interesting to see where some break out along the continuum with one end being "mortal enemy" if you transfer and the other end being "she's like a daughter to me."

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. I have more ongoing affection and concern for kids who invested in the program, got some playing time but decided it wasn't a great fit. So, for me, I still have a rooting interest in Nat Butler and enjoy hearing about how well she's doing. EDD on the other hand, really didn't matter all that much to me since she was on campus for what seemed like 48 hours. Others really took her to heart.

For AEH, I'm interested in seeing where she ends up and I hope it is a good fit for her. After that, if I stumble onto a box score, I'll see how she is doing but that's it.

Reaction Score
Charlie: might we adjust your comment slightly:

UConn is good for the vast majority of young woman that Geno recruits. :)
Would also add what Geno has said numerous times - it takes a very special player to play for UConn. Geno and CD have gone out of their way to mention talent alone doesn't qualify to be recruited at UConn.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
AEH played three seasons at Blair Academy before transferring to Ossining. At Blair Academy, she played with Duke signee Onome Akinbode-James.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For AEH, I'm interested in seeing where she ends up and I hope it is a good fit for her. After that, if I stumble onto a box score, I'll see how she is doing but that's it.

A good fit would be one that wants her to shoot 3s because that's what she wants to do.

Reaction Score
My take on this is:

C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come)
D) AEH, in my opinion, will probably end up at either Mississippi State or Duke (can't see her at Louisville or USC) and she will end up as being one of the best shooting guards in the country once she gets to her eligible Junior Year in college.

Right on on point "A". Once Walker committed AEH saw reality. I'm out of here. Was nice knowing you but I'm young and I'm not sitting behind Walker no matter how nice and sweet a girl I happen to be. I'm not Saniya Chong. I'm AEH. Players as patient as Saniya are an exception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits