Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter considering six schools for transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right on on point "A". Once Walker committed AEH saw reality. I'm out of here. Was nice knowing you but I'm young and I'm not sitting behind Walker no matter how nice and sweet a girl I happen to be. I'm not Saniya Chong. I'm AEH. Players as patient as Saniya are an exception.
If a player is more interested in their playing time and stats, they are not meant for UConn and will find themselves frustrated most of the time.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I wish her the best also. Wait one minute. What would be the best? Transfer and beat Uconn in the finals, be tourney MVP, win 3 titles to finish her college career? That sounds like the best to me. Nevermind, I dont wish her the best. I just hope she gets an education and enjoys college. No more no less.

I would never wish ill will on another person, but it’s hard not to wonder whether someone else that was at least considering UConn chose another school after AEH committed to UConn. From that perspective it’s difficult to wish her success on the basketball court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would never wish ill will on another person, but it’s hard not to wonder whether someone else that was at least considering UConn chose another school after AEH committed to UConn. From that perspective it’s difficult to wish her success on the basketball court.
That's hard to understand becuase isn't that always the case? For every player that says yes to UCONN, several others have to look elsewhere.
Earning a DI scholarship is a very competitive process that forces players and thier parents to make some very hard choices.

Reaction Score
I don't like it- regardless of the various ways in which we are spinning it. I cannot think of a program/school that 'is for everyone' (Uconn is not exceptional in that regards- with the exception that we have colonized the phrase, elevating it to some 'truth' that is unquestionable (perhaps more unspeakable, in my mind. Period).
All is speculation because we do not know the inner decisions. I must admit being surprise that she honored her early commitment - given that Chong (in my eyes) never got her just reward (more and early playing time) and Edward sudden exit. If there is a fourth one in the making I'm sure she has gone into hiding-- as she should. But, what was the plan for AEH?
Our dear Uconn is like all other programs-- a business. You sign on and pray that that the in-coming traffic of players are not better, because your replacement is already being pursued-- even when the ink is still wet.
The show must go on, however. We are fooling ourselves if we think the top rung of wbb isn't a cut-throat business. We have just been better at spinning things much better than many others (who probably don't give a damn).

Reaction Score

Am I really reading this, correctly, about a student athlete? Google Google, I need a better translation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True, but she most likely would have been if she had played her Sr year. She was still ranked in the top 20 even without playing.
Possible, it would have been a tall order though. That class was loaded with athletic wings that not only made a name for them selves in HS ball but quite a few were also ripping it up in AAU ball ( Gabby Green, Miraya Moore, Jamie Nared, Shakayla Thomas, Myisha Hines-Allen Mikayla Cowling, Sierra Calhoun, & Gabby Williams). Shoot, even A'ja wilson considered herself a Wing-until reality set in. To be fair, Courtney in HS could shoot better than all of them and her BB IQ would be among the best, athletically she was a step or two behind just about all these players.

Reaction Score
Geno’s comments about AEH weren’t made in an official announcement or at a press conference. They were made at an unofficial event where his comments are generally not disseminated to the public. It was his misfortune that Boneyarders attended that particular event.

The criticism of Geno here is unfair - the Boneyard was the one that broadcast the news and now the Boneyard is blaming Geno for it

Nan: We went far afield and lost the wheat from the shaft. What is more important than FAIR or unfair--the words.
Geno said nothing wrong!! So how can his words reporting be unfair. What he said (paraphrasing) I asked AEH to leave for not following directions---
How bad or damning of Geno can that be. Geno was right, I'm not happy AEH left the program, I still think she had potential
But Geno was fully and wholely within his duties as Head coach.
We got s0 wrapped around the fairness--we forgot the truth.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nan: We went far afield and lost the wheat from the shaft. What is more important than FAIR or unfair--the words.
Geno said nothing wrong!! So how can his words reporting be unfair. What he said (paraphrasing) I asked AEH to leave for not following directions---
How bad or damning of Geno can that be. Geno was right, I'm not happy AEH left the program, I still think she had potential
Yup, she should get her "UConn Participation Medal or Ring" at least. (I agree wwith you Broadway, just adding my sarcasm to the thread again...) :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The distinction that some are trying to make is that Geno in his official capacity at head coach made a statement about AEH's transfer.
“I have enjoyed getting to know Andy and her family,” Head coach Geno Auriemma said. “Everyone at UConn wishes Andy all the best as she continues her college career elsewhere.”
UConn Women’s Basketball Freshman Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Transfer

The statements made at the gathering more reflected Geno "private thoughts" (my words) on the matter therefore not intended for public or BY consumption.
There was truth in both statements, I don't agree with the distinction that some are trying to make and also believe the first statement was more than sufficient to get closure on the matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right on on point "A". Once Walker committed AEH saw reality. I'm out of here. Was nice knowing you but I'm young and I'm not sitting behind Walker no matter how nice and sweet a girl I happen to be. I'm not Saniya Chong. I'm AEH. Players as patient as Saniya are an exception.
Not sure I understand the comparison to Chong. Saniya has hurt most of her Soph and Junior years. Once her hip got better she played more as a Junior and started as a Senior. Has had a nice little pro career so far.

Reaction Score
I agree, for some players like EDD that left to be close to her sister or Butler that gave it her all, worked her tail off and just wanted to play significant minutes in her final season I totally understand and am pulling for them. However, players that simply quit on the team and their teammates and are unwilling to make the sacrifices needed, I just don't get it. Honestly, I couldn't care less about their futures, as Mr. Wonderful from Shark Tank would say "They are dead to me".

Not even in the south.. pretty much everyone down here outside of South Carolina calls them USCjr or USCe.. when it's just USC, people think the Trojans

Reaction Score
My take on this is:

A) Geno and the coaching staff made a huge recruiting mistake, bringing in 4 players of similar positions (with Camara and Stevens coming in as well). Way too many guards
B) In reality, only Geno and AEH, on the surface, really knows what happened with AEH and UCONN (although I would bet that her High School Coach at Ossining, Dan Ricci, knows as well)
C) UCONN will be just fine and most likely will capture the NCAA Women's Championship this year. This team is ROCK SOLID !!! (and will be so, for many years to come)
D) AEH, in my opinion, will probably end up at either Mississippi State or Duke (can't see her at Louisville or USC) and she will end up as being one of the best shooting guards in the country once she gets to her eligible Junior Year in college.
E) Forget about Aubrey Griffin from ever ending up at UCONN (I got this feeling that her HS Coach [Ricci] is no longer a fan of Geno, and, don't be surprised that Griffin is pushed away from Geno and UCONN by Ricci, and Griffin ends up at either South Carolina or Notre Dame
F) UCONN is not necessarily for everyone HS All-American (see: EDD, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Courtney Ekmark), but is good for some (Katie Lou, Stewie, etc)

A. No, he didn't. Coombs is a 1, AEH is a 2, Gordon is a 2/3, and Walker is a 3. Completely different positions and skill sets.
B. As well as the entire UConn team and coaches
C. True
D. Might be right on where she lands but I don't see her as that type of player. She will be a solid player IMHO but not a star.
E. That's fine. Her loss not UConn's. She hasn't been anywhere close to the same player since her injury. Only time will tell whether her athleticism returns. There are also at least 5 other players UConn is recruiting in the class of 2019 that I want before her.
F. True, but besides EDD, that left for family reasons, how many of them have gone on to be stars at their next school?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
A. No, he didn't. Coombs is a 1, AEH is a 2, Gordon is a 2/3, and Walker is a 3. Completely different positions and skill sets.

Per Dan Olson (Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and ESPN):

Megan Walker
Position: SG
Evaluation: Pro-body perimeter performer handles and attacks in transition, finishes with either hand to rim; 3-point threat with body control off the bounce; mid range game producer; wingspan defends passing lanes

Mikayla Coombs
Evaluation: Athletic combo-guard with pro-frame brings a scorer's mentality; manufactures in midrange game off the bounce, transition finisher; smooth floor game attacks in either direction

Andra Espinoza-Hunter
Evaluation: Agile combo-guard with a scorer's mentality; elevates on mid range game to the arc with smooth release point; size on perimeter handles in transition, attacks rim, finishes vs. contact; potential

Lexi Gordon
Position: SF
Evaluation: Long, athletic perimeter threat handles in transition, finishes on break; baseline attack utilizes weak hand; sells ball fake in post; stationary threat to the arc; exploits mismatches

Walker, Coombs, and AEH all play the same position. Coombs and AEH have the same skillsets.

@Chong-Master

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Megan Walker
Evaluation: Pro-body perimeter performer handles and attacks in transition, finishes with either hand to rim; 3-point threat with body control off the bounce; mid range game producer; wingspan defends passing lanes

Mikayla Coombs
Evaluation: Athletic combo-guard with pro-frame brings a scorer's mentality; manufactures in midrange game off the bounce, transition finisher; smooth floor game attacks in either direction

Andra Espinoza-Hunter
Evaluation: Agile combo-guard with a scorer's mentality; elevates on mid range game to the arc with smooth release point; size on perimeter handles in transition, attacks rim, finishes vs. contact; potential

Lexi Gordon
Evaluation: Long, athletic perimeter threat handles in transition, finishes on break; baseline attack utilizes weak hand; sells ball fake in post; stationary threat to the arc; exploits mismatches

Walker, Coombs, and AEH all play the same position. Coombs and AEH have the same skillsets.

@Chong-Master

Interesting.

Coombs has not played SG at UConn primarily because she's not a good shooter. In her limited minutes at UConn Coombs has mostly played PG.

I see Walker as more of a 3/4 than a SG at UConn. At least that's how Geno has used her to date. I do not see Megan Walker as a SG at the collegiate level.

I don't know how to label AEH. She's not a particularly good ball-handler which is important for a SG. Her game is to set up beyond the arc and launch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Megan Walker

Mikayla Coombs

Andra Espinoza-Hunter

Lexi Gordon

@Chong-Master
Prospect Nation had them as
Coombs and AEH - Guard
Walker and Gordan - Wing

In reality we know

Walker is a 3. Possibly able to play the 4 at UCONN (don't think she will at the next level though) Also might be able to play some 2. But mainly she's a 3
Coombs is a 2/1 and will probably play quite a bit of 1 here
AEH is a 2, pretty much through and through. Might have filled in some at the 3 for UCONN.
Gordon is a 3/2.

Not completely different, but somewhat different. Definitely wasn't 4 of the same.

Back a couple of years, coming in anyway... Nurse, Williams, Edwards, Ekmark were probably closer to being the same than the Walker/Coombs/AEH/Gordon class. And Nurse/Williams vastly diverged.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Meg would play the 2/3 at UConn, not the 3/4, but Geno thinks otherwise. She is better equipped to play the 4 than Nina Davis was, for example.

Mikayla was interviewed on video saying she’s a shooting guard, but I see her more as a defender, ball handler, and distributor. I think Geno does too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I thought Meg would play the 2/3 at UConn, not the 3/4, but Geno thinks otherwise. She is better equipped to play the 4 than Nina Davis was, for example.

Mikayla was interviewed on video saying she’s a shooting guard, but I see her more as a defender, ball handler, and distributor. I think Geno does too.

From an "outside" UConn perspective, I see Walker working best in Geno's offensive system as a 3. She plays bigger than her size, due to her burst speed, hops, and intuition. She seems to have a knack for being where the ball is. In this sense, she can do a lot of the same things for the Huskies that Jackie Young does for the Irish. Young is 6' tall and is the wing to Ogunbowale's shooting guard. Jackie was all over the court against FSU on Sunday, causing havoc with drives, steals, rebounds, double teams. I can see Megan unleashed in a similar manner as the years go on. There are some differences-- Megan's a tad taller, Jackie can drive equally well with either hand -- but I'm seeing what they do/can do for their respective teams. (I'll leave the outright comparisons for another time and place.)

While she can play a 4 against a lot of teams (something Young was doing from time to time late last year and early this year), I think the sweet spot is the 3. Get Williams in here with her and watch both of them soar. :)for UConn fans; :eek: for opponents.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's really a false strawman to say Geno brought in too many players that play the same position because each player was not brought in a vacuum.
Each player knew the existing roster as well as what other players were coming in that class.
One of the most crushing (but well appreciated) letters my daughter received during her recruiting process was a letter from Suzy Merchant which said "We have received a commitment from a player in your class at your position."....
I'm not saying this is how UCONN does or should do business but these recruits know what position they play best and who they will have to compete against to get playing time. If they fail to factor those things into their decisions then shame on them.
I also don't buy the idea that Geno and the staff doesn't like to "retract offers" and would allow multiples of the same type because offers were already extended. For various reasons UCONN has walked away from many recruits although I cannot remember UCONN officially retracting an offer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't like it- regardless of the various ways in which we are spinning it. I cannot thWomen's Basketball: Williams anchors Huskies, UConn wipes out Green Wave for titanic victoryink of a program/school that 'is for everyone' (Uconn is not exceptional in that regards- with the exception that we have colonized the phrase, elevating it to some 'truth' that is unquestionable (perhaps more unspeakable, in my mind. Period).

All is speculation because we do not know the inner decisions. I must admit being surprise that she honored her early commitment - given that Chong (in my eyes) never got her just reward (more and early playing time) and Edwards sudden exit. If there is a fourth one in the making I'm sure she has gone into hiding-- as she should. But, what was the plan for AEH?

Our dear Uconn is like all other programs-- a business. You sign on and pray that that the in-coming traffic of players are not better, because your replacement is already being pursued-- even when the ink is still wet.The show must go on, however. We are fooling ourselves if we think the top rung of wbb isn't a cut-throat business. We have just been better at spinning things much better than many others (who probably don't give a damn).

You said: "Chong (in my eyes) never got her just reward (more and early playing time)" Some think Chong did get an early just reward. If you remember, she was promoted to the starting lineup at the beginning of her sophomore year. Most would consider that a just reward. She played and started the first game of the season on the road in California against UC Davis. She scored 12 points in 22 minutes of play. Three days later, she started the next game against Stanford, a game that UConn lost in overtime. She scored 20 points in 35 minutes. During the post game presser, Geno said that while Chong scored 20 points, her man scored 30 (it was actually only 24 = Lili Thompson 8/13 - 7/12). Clearly, Geno was not happy. In that game, Nurse and Tuck fouled out.

Chong and Kiah Stokes, who had also been promoted to a starter were removed from the starting lineup, and replaced by Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck. Chong nor Stokes were able to regain their starting positions because of the success of their replacements. Geno said many times that Chong did not get a lot of playing time because of her poor defensive skills, and that he was not going to play her until she did. Basically, she could not keep her man in front of her the way Kia did and does. Over the summer heading into her senior year, Chong finally mastered the technique of keeping her man in front of her to Geno's satisfaction. Thus she was once again promoted to a starter. Any long time casual observer of the UConn women's team could tell the difference. The same way Dangerfield has mastered that technique. The difference between Crystal's defense last year and this year is huge.

Chong's junior year was fraught with injury (I-Band). She was (according to reports) physically unable to play on many occasions during the season. During this time, she still had not mastered the art of playing defense to Geno's satisfaction, so that coupled with her injury, she sat. Chong was a fan favorite. Of course fans wanted to see her play. There were reasons why she did not. If it's your opinion those reasons were unjust or unfair, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Megan Walker

Mikayla Coombs

Andra Espinoza-Hunter

Lexi Gordon

@Chong-Master

I could care less what Dan Olsen labels them as. I guarantee I have watched more tape on all of them!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could care less what Dan Olsen labels them as. I guarantee I have watched more tape on all of them!
27d3fd01818c7984188fba4dbdbc20ff1d9b50f0daae956f96d36bd510f582a0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32