An offer is in | Page 7 | The Boneyard

An offer is in

Reaction Score
Who knows if Hurley would be legit here. But he took a crappy Wagner program and won 25 games there. Then took over a struggling URI program and won 50+ games over the last two seasons including regular season and postseason championships among those accomplishments. His kids play hard for him as well. He is a tough northeast guy and his father is a legendary high school coach. Of the names that have been mentioned this is who I want.

Reaction Score
Because...look who else is out there and compare their resumes.

Go ahead and compare the resumes of Matta and Hurley. If you compare those resumes and come to the conclusion that Hurley has a better resume you’re drinking too much.

Hurley might be a better hire for a number reasons, but it’s not because he’s got a better resume than Matta because that guy has won 8 conference titles at three schools in 17 seasons, has a 750 winning percentage and has only one year where he failed to win 20 games. The idea that Hurley has a better resume is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
I just drove from Storrs to Parsipanny and it took me exactly three hours.

I’m going to drive back now and then I will average the two trips.

Everyone wait here.
If you know how to get around you can trim a half hour off that 3 hrs.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Go ahead and compare the resumes of Matta and Hurley. If you compare those resumes and come to the conclusion that Hurley has a better resume you’re drinking too much.

Hurley might be a better hire for a number reasons, but it’s not because he’s got a better resume than Matta because that guy has won 8 conference titles at three schools in 17 seasons, has a 750 winning percentage and has only one year where he failed to win 20 games. The idea that Hurley has a better resume is ludicrous.

Matta's not even in the picture except on random internet lists. I don't think he'll coach anywhere next year except perhaps at Pitt. AFAIK, UCONN hasn't even reached out to him.

More importantly, they are going to have to prop Matta up with scaffolding in a year or two. He had surgery sure, but that doesn't mean he's out of the woods. After going through it w Calhoun, the last thing I want is a coach with health problems.

If you told me I could have a completely healthy Matta, and he was dying to come here, I'd say yes. But that's pipe dream stuff.

Reaction Score
Matta's not even in the picture except on random internet lists. I don't think he'll coach anywhere next year unless, maybe it's at Pitt.

More importantly, they are going to have to prop Matta up with scaffolding in a year or two. He had surgery sure, but that doesn't mean he's out of the woods.

Please read what the “quoted post” my reply is in response to.

I never said he’s the coach I know very well his health issues. They are not trivial or quick fix things. If you’re comparing resumes, which was what the quote wasn’t in defense to, it’s Hurleys resume isn’t even in the same universe as Matta’s

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Please read what the “quoted post” my reply is in response to.

I never said he’s the coach I know very well his health issues. They are not trivial or quick fix things. If you’re comparing resumes, which was what the quote wasn’t in defense to, it’s Hurleys resume isn’t even in the same universe as Matta’s

That's true, my point was I didn't even consider him as a candidate in the first place.

I'm looking at Hurley vs all the other up and coming coaches.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
First time commenter, long time reader. As someone who is a current senior and UConn and a native of Somerset county New Jersey (about 40 minutes west of Jersey City) and someone who is currently in Pittsburgh visiting my girlfriend at Pitt (I've done the drive numerous times now) it took me three hours and 5 minutes to get home last Thursday at around noon (hit traffic before the Tappen Zee) and it took me 5 hours and 12 minutes to get to Pittsburgh from Somerset county (so tack on another 30 or so minutes to get to Jersey City). I was waiting for the opportune moment to get my feet wet in the boneyard and this silly argument is something I have expertise in.
How can this get no likes?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Trust me, I have a house at the Shore. It’s not that bad from CT to NJ or reverse, just pick the right time to travel.
Tell me more about what time and which roads. I have a standing invitation to visit sister in Ocean City, but resist a bit for not knowing how/when to travel. Fortunately, I have another sister and other options.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

First time commenter, long time reader. As someone who is a current senior and UConn and a native of Somerset county New Jersey (about 40 minutes west of Jersey City) and someone who is currently in Pittsburgh visiting my girlfriend at Pitt (I've done the drive numerous times now) it took me three hours and 5 minutes to get home last Thursday at around noon (hit traffic before the Tappen Zee) and it took me 5 hours and 12 minutes to get to Pittsburgh from Somerset county (so tack on another 30 or so minutes to get to Jersey City). I was waiting for the opportune moment to get my feet wet in the boneyard and this silly argument is something I have expertise in.

Welcome to Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
Jeez this is going to get so silly but screw it - it's kind of fun.

But honestly, my buddy at the UConn AD says it's 100% in on Hurley right now and the worst kept secret ever. They're not even trying to hide it. They made him a monster offer. Cash is nice, but benefits are stuuuuuuuuuuuupid. They feel really, really, really good about it. Rumor is - he's coming here - or he's staying. Pitt isn't on the table. He loves it in Rhode Island to the point where he's not sure he wants to leave.

Which - if that's true, I'm not even mad about. Nice to see a guy care about what he's built. Although I'd love him here. I don't think that once he's here, that he'd leave.

Please. Tell me more :)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

There is absolutely no comparative, I agree 100% with you
There are, however, questions about his stamina due to his back issues.
I am also not sold on DH but if he comes to UConn I hope he excels
There are some folks who are- it's Hurley or the world will implode- and I just don't get it.
There are many arguments for Hurley but many against that some choose to ignore
If Chill stays, which I doubt, I would feel better because recruiting is going to be so important. Maybe there is another top notch recruiter out there that UConn can attract?

Reaction Score
From the Rhode Island board:

Re: UConn making an offer
Hearing the same thing.....it's not a big secret that's for sure....we will know soon.

Am friends with a couple of UConn people with knowledge of the situation.

It's up to Dan and his family.

>>>>
Heard it's close to a done deal. I hope they're wrong. Thorr and Dooley have to step up big time, although there might not be anything they can do. I hope Andrea has the final say.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no comparative, I agree 100% with you
There are, however, questions about his stamina due to his back issues.
I am also not sold on DH but if he comes to UConn I hope he excels
There are some folks who are- it's Hurley or the world will implode- and I just don't get it.
There are many arguments for Hurley but many against that some choose to ignore
If Chill stays, which I doubt, I would feel better because recruiting is going to be so important. Maybe there is another top notch recruiter out there that UConn can attract?

Who are you sold on and why?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
images

I really like this guy. Passionate. Intense. Basketball junkie.

I just don't like that he is close to Bobby Hurley. :shudder:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who knows if Hurley would be legit here. But he took a crappy Wagner program and won 25 games there. Then took over a struggling URI program and won 50+ games over the last two seasons including regular season and postseason championships among those accomplishments. His kids play hard for him as well. He is a tough northeast guy and his father is a legendary high school coach. Of the names that have been mentioned this is who I want.
Not to draw direct comparisons nor expectations, but around 1986 some, certainly not all, UConn fans questioned the hiring of another tough northeastern mick. A guy with even some success against UConn. If Hurley's the man, hopefully he achieves almost as much success as the mick hired in 1986.

"May the sun always shine on our windowpane,
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain,
May the hand of a friend always be near us,
May God fill our hearts with championships to cheer us!
"​

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So why do so many on the board seem to so desperately want him?
Part of it is that I think he's a really good coach who hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He's already done stuff at URI no one else ever has - winning a tourney game in back-to-back years, regular season A-10 crown - and that tells me quite a bit about what he can do for a program.

Part of it is that I think he has a high floor. We won't win 30 games every year, but he's been a consistent winner at every level, knows how to run a program, and has almost two decades as a head coach. This is not a flash in the pan guy.

And part of it is that I'm worried the administration is stupid. If we don't get Hurley it looks like we'll get some sort of has-been like Matta or never-was like Martin. This terrifies me. Those guys have already hit their ceilings and, quite frankly, it's not good enough.

I'll also admit that I love Hurley's Big East roots. Dude knows what kind of program we were and need to be again.

EDIT: I should say Martin's ceiling isn't good enough. Prime Matta's was, but that guy no longer exists.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

Hearing the same thing.....it's not a big secret that's for sure....we will know soon.

>>>>
Heard it's close to a done deal. I hope they're wrong. Thorr and Dooley have to step up big time, although there might not be anything they can do. I hope Andrea has the final say.

Maybe I’m a little late to this, but Andrea is, I’m assuming his wife, that much of an influence on his decision?

Reaction Score
The Bada Bing is not in Jersey City... it’s in Lodi. So that’s stupid. My point wasn’t Pittsburgh. My point is that using the proximity is stupid bc of the traffic. I don’t live in Pittsburgh. It’s probably about 4 hours.

I suggest you look at a map. Pittsburgh is 6 hours away not 4. Your knowledge of Bucks County is admirable, but I'm afraid you have no idea of how big Pennsylvania is. Pittsburgh is a lot closer to Cleveland than it is to NJ.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just drove from Storrs to Parsipanny and it took me exactly three hours.

I’m going to drive back now and then I will average the two trips.

Everyone wait here.
Lol, not at 5 PM on a Friday.

Reaction Score

>>>>
Not really sure why his wife would object to leaving Rhode Island so much. I grew up right around where they live and it’s only super nice in the summer. Hurley would be making around $3 million a year so they could just buy a summer home in Narragansett. This way Hurley gets to advance his career and his wife gets to spend the nice part of the year in the area she loves so much. Anyone telling you that living in RI is any different from CT in the winter is crazy.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m a little late to this, but Andrea is, I’m assuming his wife, that much of an influence on his decision?

Why would his wife not be a part of this decision? This isn't the 1990s

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom