An offer is in | Page 12 | The Boneyard

An offer is in

Reaction Score
Who else is there out of the candidates we're in on who's more of a home run?

Please don't say Oats - for all we know AD Dave hasn't reached out to him and isn't planning on it.[/QUOTE

I don't know, but there are plenty of
Yeah, we should go after the other available home run hires like the the St. Bonaventure coach or the third-year coach of Buffalo.

So basically we are settling?

Reaction Score
Who is your candidate that would be a slam dunk hire and not "settling" - the 0.1% chance we have at getting Donovan?

I don
Who says that? Who would you pick? Would you have stayed with KO, who got beat like this by Arkansas, and Memphis, and Cincy, etc. etc. etc.?

NO, I would not have stayed with Ollie. I say we wait and see what other coaches become available when the season actually ends. Hurley is a fine coach, but I don't see him as being a game changer for the program.

Reaction Score
You want to hire somebody who's just been fired??

Protip: game changers don't get fired.

Where did I say I wanted to hire someone who has been fired? You don't think there is a coach out there looking for more money??

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Where did I say I wanted to hire someone who has been fired? You don't think there is a coach out there looking for more money??

The list of good coaches making small enough coin to want the upgrade is not long. There's more than 40 coaches making more than $2.2m after all.

I'm sure a couple have been contacted. And not everybody is after every last dollar.

Reaction Score
There are other things to look at besides the resume and experience. Interviews can reveal a lot.

Actually the interview is of very limited value. It is important in eliminating bad candidates but fairly useless in choosing between qualified candidates. Coaching is not a popularity contest - you don't hire the smartest, nicest, most well spoken coach - you hire the winning-est coach, and that can only be determined on a basketball court, not in an AD's office. For choosing a coach, track record and fit should be the determining factors.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually the interview is of very limited value. It is important in eliminating bad candidates but fairly useless in choosing between qualified candidates. Coaching is not a popularity contest - you don't hire the smartest, nicest, most well spoken coach - you hire the winning-est coach, and that can only be determined on a basketball court, not in an AD's office. For choosing a coach, track record and fit should be the determining factors.

Unless you're Jim Irsay. Then you do.

jim-irsay-bro-outfit1.jpg

Reaction Score

Of course resume and track record are important but you can learn a lot in an interview about a coach's philosophy, personality, passion, motivation, discipline, leadership capabilities, etc. It's not one or the other. The safe and obvious pick is not necessarily the best pick.

Reaction Score
Of course resume and track record are important but you can learn a lot in an interview about a coach's philosophy, personality, passion, motivation, discipline, leadership capabilities, etc. It's not one or the other. The safe and obvious pick is not necessarily the best pick.

No, in an interview you can only learn what a person says about those things. To know if he actually has those qualities, you have to watch his actions, and the only place to do that is on a court. Letting the interview process sway you in picking a coach is a lot like letting combine numbers determine who you draft in football. The combine is good for helping you eliminate totally unsuitable players, but football is not a track meet and your 40 yard numbers don't equate to performance. An interview can't show you a coach's passion, it only demonstrates who can articulate it better, and that's not the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom