Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming they would've done that with the other players.

Adams-16
Larrier-13
Gilbert-12
Jackson-12
Vital-10
Makai-8

That's my expectation.
Makai was not avging 8 points lmao. Thats sooooi generous. You do realize he cant shoot

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes he'd play the four in this case. Durham and Enoch were "terrible," so it'd be necessary.

With Larrier, Jalen, and Gilbert, I don't think that Vance is scoring a consistent 12 a night. Simply because I don't think he will have the opportunity to get 12 a night. And defensively as a 4, I think we need someone who is able to bang. Vance could get his rebounds as a 3, but as a 4, I think he would be outmatched on the defensive end...

pj

Reaction Score
If Vance had been willing to play stretch 4 and defend PFs, he could have gotten 12 pts a night. But he didn't want that. And as long as that's the case, what can we say? We can get better players to play the 3, starting with Larrier and Vital next year.

Durham could be anything from Ajou Deng to Donyell Marshall. We'll have to see. Good luck to him. Wish he'd stayed and dedicated himself to excellence. Don't know how much of his departure is his own softness and how much is the coaching staff's failure to motivate him and promote his physical recovery. Don't know why he gave up on UConn rather than give the new coaches a chance. Hopefully Chillious and KO will find a replacement. Hopefully Mamadou Diarra's knees fully heal and he or Polley can fill the spot. We're not without talent here.

I'm not too interested in the blame game, but it looks like there's blame to be laid on every side. The frontcourt guys who left were not self-motivated, dedicated, team players and didn't rise to the occasion. And there's plenty of smoke indicating that the coaching staff failed them, and that they blamed enough of the failure on Ollie that the replacement of Miller and Illian with Chillious and Daniels didn't make them reconsider their decisions to leave.

On Ollie, Amore's article indicates that he withdrew after the divorce and was emotionally distant from players, coaches, and recruits. Ollie is rightly demanding sacrifice and dedication from his players. But, here's the thing: there has to be a reciprocal nature to sacrifice. It needs to be sustained by love. Kids are willing to sacrifice for coach and team when they know the coach has their best interests at heart, and will sacrifice himself to bring them success. Calhoun built a family at UConn because for all his toughness and demanding nature, he did love his players, he promised to be there for them for the rest of their lives and by and large he fulfilled that promise. We joke about Mike Kryzewski's talk about relationships and love, but it's not without substance and that's what makes him a great coach. Calipari on the other hand has all the makings of a great coach except love, and is building a reputation for tourney flameouts. KO is a believing Christian and believes intellectually in love, and he won the 2014 championship by persuading his team to love one another and sacrifice for the shared enterprise, but he doesn't seem to have had the emotional energy to actually deliver love the last few years. I blame the divorce which must have been emotionally exhausting, along with the physically demanding trials of recruiting.

I strongly suspect that one reason KO brought in two solid recruiters, Killings and Chillious, is to relieve himself of some of the demands of watching recruits and closing them so that he could invest more deeply in the players who do come here. I hope that is the case. He needs to communicate more, and give himself more fully, to his players in reciprocity for the sacrifice and dedication he's asking of them.

All in all, I am optimistic. I think KO has passed through the crucible of a head coach's education. I think good things lie ahead. I hope he can find the high end recruits to buy into his message and replace Alterique, Jalen, and Terry to keep the UConn program going at a high level.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Those who think Calhoun is praising Miller because he thinks he is a better coach than Ollie, think again.
His former player and friend just lost his job. He is talking to a reporter. He wants to talk Miller up to help with the job.
If Ollie just lost his job he would do the same.

It is a brief interview, not the Rosetta Stone.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The fact that the AD felt it necessary to interview everyone associated with the basketball program speaks volumes. That sort of thing never happens when things are going well.
Not true. A very good manager meets with their people regardless of how things are going.

This is how Benedict knows if wins are masking a bigger problem. If most AD's would do this, then they wouldn't be surprised with player issues or violations within the program. He talks with all his coaches and many of the students athletes across all the sports.

pj

Reaction Score
The dude was legit set up to fail. He was picked by a Naismith hall of famer to take over for a club that a) was still under penalty for sanctions just years prior and b) was just left in the dust during conference realignment, relegated to a group of directional schools, has-beens and never-will-bes.

There is a delayed, lasting effect to both of those things that would make any coaches job exponentially harder. What's worse is their effects are delayed - so while the initial sting may be gone, the impacts have only recently been dealt ... and we're in year 5.

He finally gets a head of steam with recruiting, pulls in a top rated class, and has the rug pulled out from underneath. Cue the need for change (both with the program and individual players.) The timing of last year's circumstances couldn't have been worse.

So it confuses me when folks act like he was handed this silver platter of a program to ride off in to the sunset and isn't living up to their personal expectations. Has Ollie made mistakes? Absolutely. He's struggled to find roles and rhythms at times. But we've seen him perform with talented kids who have a desire to play for the team. We've seen him go up against hall of fame and future hall of fame coaches and beat them on the big stage. I want to see what he can do with a full deck again.

This is spot on. KO has done a fine job -- the 2014 championship was miraculous -- and he earned last November's extension. He also earned some patience from the fanbase. It's a rare life in which there are no troubled years. We learn from them, persist, and often go on to prosper. I trust KO will do so.

Reaction Score
Put me on record as someone that thinks that UConn is going to have a very good year next year. I think the nucleus is very good, and I think that we are going to play a tougher brand of basketball next year. UConn basketball. We will be in the NCAA tourney next year and we are going to make some noise.

Now that I've gone on record, let all the boo-birds rain down on me for the next 7 months or so until I'm proven right...

Aren't you the same guy who argued that UCONN was going to make the NCAA tournament this past season, when they didn't even make the NIT?

We know that Jalen Adams is going to be very good. We also know that the Vital is likely to be solid. Beyond that we have three guys coming back who missed a full season due to injuries, we have no idea what we will get from them at this point. We have no power forwards or centers with a minute of division 1 experience and we have a fourth guard who should be a solid transfer. I just can't see how you're predicting that that roster will result in a team that will make some noise in the NCAA tournament unless absolutely everything goes perfectly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still amazed that people think UConn has some special requirements for recruits compared to other schools. They don't.

Our former coach turned recruits into UConn players. Our current coach turns them into something less.

It's on him, not the kids. He needs to get better.

I agree with this. That being said, some kids just weren't Calhoun-UConn type players. some left, others cursed at Calhoun. It is possible that Enoch, Durham and Vance are kids that Calhoun would have had difficulty with.

Personally, I think it's the team and coaching were flawed this season, and no one likes to play for a losing team.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Thats an insanely ridiculous comment. One of two things are happening here. 1.) Your severely overeating a frshman mal OR 2.) Your underrating anderson. I tend to believe youbare overrating the scaltio out of makai. And with durham, potential is the most overrated attribute of a player. I take a big who can reb, be physical, and guard his position any day over a 6'10 bean pole, who shys away from contact, has fragile knees, little to no production, but has "potential".
Makai is a way better player than Vital coming out of high school, and would normally have the ball in his hands when in the game, so yes 8pts is a realistic expectation for a top 40 PG, who would've been our only backup perimeter player. You also seem unaware of his finishing ability, and are overstating your position on his jump shot, he'll be capable of hitting open threes.

Why do you think Ollie brought Durham in? Because he's a bean poll with shot knees? Why do you think schools the likes of Louisville and Notre Dame among others are recruiting Durham? Certainly not out of desperation and a lack of talent/options.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Aren't you the same guy who argued that UConn was going to make the NCAA tournament this past season, when they didn't even make the NIT?

We know that Jalen Adams is going to be very good. We also know that the Vital is likely to be solid. Beyond that we have three guys coming back who missed a full season due to injuries, we have no idea what we will get from them at this point. We have no power forwards or centers with a minute of division 1 experience and we have a fourth guard who should be a solid transfer. I just can't see how you're predicting that that roster will result in a team that will make some noise in the NCAA tournament unless absolutely everything goes perfectly.

Feel free to quote anything from me that you'd like to quote. If I made a claim that we were going to definitely make the tourney, it was most certainly before we were reduced to a 7 man roster. I am certain that I made no such claim with a 7 man roster, and I couldn't understand why people, perhaps such as yourself, couldn't understand why we would lose games with 2 schollies on the bench to work with.

As for what we should expect from Larrier and Gilbert; we should expect what we saw from them in our first few games. They will be 2 of our top 3 scorers, as they were before they went down. I know that there are those on the Boneyard who pretend that it wasn't the case, but I've already done the game by game breakdown and know it to be true. If we get even a semi-competent game from the collection of Cobb, Polley, Diarra, and Carlton, we are dancing next year without a doubt in my mind...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
With Larrier, Jalen, and Gilbert, I don't think that Vance is scoring a consistent 12 a night. Simply because I don't think he will have the opportunity to get 12 a night. And defensively as a 4, I think we need someone who is able to bang. Vance could get his rebounds as a 3, but as a 4, I think he would be outmatched on the defensive end...
He'd be an excellent fit as a floor spacer for our driving perimeter players. Hopefully he'd also improve as a slasher, although there is no way of knowing if he would've. He seemed like a big SF, who might've been able to bang with PFs if he kept building his strength. Either way it would've been him or Durham guarding the 4, and I'd bet Jackson would have an easier time with that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think Adams and Vital will get better next year is nuts. Gilbert will be better, Larrier will be better. Diarra was brought in as a tough rebounder. Our current 4th guard, Anderson, hit 3 gamewinners at Fordham last year. He is tough. If we can get anything from our bigs in terms of rebounding and defense, we can be really good and fun to watch next year.
Enough about who we don't have, time to focus on who we do have.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He'd be an excellent fit as a floor spacer for our driving perimeter players. Hopefully he'd also improve as a slasher, although there is no way of knowing if he would've. He seemed like a big SF, who might've been able to bang with PFs if he kept building his strength. Either way it would've been him or Durham guarding the 4, and I'd bet Jackson would have an easier time with that.

Jackson wanted to be a 3. More to the point, Jackson wanted to be a 3 that got the ball a lot more than he got the ball. That's why he left, in my opinion. And with Larrier back, he would not be serving as our 3 for the most part. He was not in the same mold as Daniels, who could play the stretch 4 with enough defense to make it work. He would not have been able to handle the 4. So I'm guessing he made that calculation in his mind and said "later" to UConn...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Jackson wanted to be a 3. More to the point, Jackson wanted to be a 3 that got the ball a lot more than he got the ball. That's why he left, in my opinion. And with Larrier back, he would not be serving as our 3 for the most part. He was not in the same mold as Daniels, who could play the stretch 4 with enough defense to make it work. He would not have been able to handle the 4. So I'm guessing he made that calculation in his mind and said "later" to UConn...
I'm aware of why he left. My point was he'd be a perfect fit at the four next season complementing Adams, Gilbert, and Larriers driving ability. Unless Durham put on serious muscle, he'd also handle banging with PFs better. If anything he'd have an easier time guarding fours, not having to deal with the shiftiness and speed of perimeter players on defense, which was his main defensive liability.

Reaction Score
It was a very selfish team this year.

Go back to the exhibition games. I was saying this well before the Wagner debacle.

They all wanted to be the top scorer. They hated sharing the bal.

This even goes for Rodney early on.

If they play team ball next year they improve by the sheer fact that they make the extra pass and get a better look.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm aware of why he left. My point was he'd be a perfect fit at the four next season complementing Adams, Gilbert, and Larriers driving ability. Unless Durham put on serious muscle, he'd also handle banging with PFs better. If anything he'd have an easier time guarding fours, not having to deal with the shiftiness and speed of perimeter players on defense, which was his main defensive liability.

So if you're aware why he left, then you would also understand the reason why he might not be the "perfect fit at the four". Its not by accident that his dad tweeted defensive numbers, as if to say that whatever Kevin told his son wasn't true somehow. And those defensive numbers were primarily generated at the 3, and I would argue that they were not eye-popping. So boxing out a 4 would be a bit more challenging to be sure.

I'm not saying he couldn't play the 4 for sure. I'm saying there isn't much in his history to suggest that he could do it well...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My problem with the team going into next year, is we essentially lost a minimum of 20pts when Jackson and MAL left, plus whatever production Durham and Enoch would've brought. So far the only player we've added to supplement this production, is a kid who averaged 11pts at Fordham, and can't shoot.

Sure somebody might break out, but it was highly likely that somebody was going to be Durham or Enoch. I don't see anyone outside of the first four contributing much as a freshmen on the offensive end.

20 pts? More like half that. I could've seen 7 and 3. Vance would share time at the 4 and MAL would've been 4th guard.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
8 was high in my projection assuming everyone stayed. But I maintain Vance averaging 12pts as a starter is a realistic expectation.

Reaction Score
8 was high in my projection assuming everyone stayed. But I maintain Vance averaging 12pts as a starter is a realistic expectation.

I agree and the guy he's guarding would average 18, how's that working out for us?

Reaction Score
Still amazed that people think UConn has some special requirements for recruits compared to other schools. They don't.

Our former coach turned recruits into UConn players. Our current coach turns them into something less.

It's on him, not the kids. He needs to get better.

I agree as long as you're not throwing Brimah, Facey and Enoch in the mix. None of them understood the game, not on the coaches to teach dopes how to play the game they should get it by now. But they just didn't have the instincts required to get it. My point is if you think JC would've done something amazing with AB you're kidding yourself.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don't put too much on Anderson.
I agree as long as you're not throwing Brimah, Facey and Enoch in the mix. None of them understood the game, not on the coaches to teach dopes how to play the game they should get it by now. But they just didn't have the instincts required to get it. My point is if you think JC would've done something amazing with AB you're kidding yourself.

1) Jesus. Yes, it freaking is their job to teach them to play the game. They played it well enough to get a scholarship offer from this staff, didn't they?

2) Yes, Jim Calhoun would have gotten more out of Brimah.

Reaction Score
Don't put too much on Anderson.

1) Jesus. Yes, it freaking is their job to teach them to play the game. They played it well enough to get a scholarship offer from this staff, didn't they?

2) Yes, Jim Calhoun would have gotten more out of Brimah.

You guys have more inside info. Who was responsible for Developing Brimahs post game? Was it Miller or Ollie? Whoever it was, failed miserably. It took Amida over 3.5 years before his jump hook was released with his arm extended. Prior to that, it was a shot put from his shoulder. Enoch was completely unprepared on Defense. Does it really take 2+ years to understand basic spacing and rotations? Some of this has to be on the teacher.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand this post at all. How can you say a coaching staff isn't responsible for teaching their own players. I'm pretty sure that's like the definition of coaching. Also they recruited those "dopes" so trying to act like they were thrust upon Ollie and staff is another perplexing take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom