Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I love JC for all he did for UConn basketball but remember, he wasn't retiring and elevating KO because he wanted to. He had physical issues that forced him out. JC had some weird comments during the Championship run in 2014 and has gone on the road the last few years. I am not sure he is at total peace watching anyone else coach UConn. It's just how he is wired. So while he will help KO anyway he can, part of it is by not being around much. I don't think the relationship is strained, I just think it is what it is due to JC's competitiveness.

Fact. Spot on.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
well a lot of people read that article and concluded "Ollie's on the hot seat"

I read that same article and concluded everyone involved is on the same page about making changes

What did that article say that many of us weren't thinking?

need to make changes, check
need players that buy into the system, check
need to be tougher, check

and as always, you need players that want to be here

I'm more convinced then ever the transfers didn't like what Ollie was telling them, let someone else promise them utopia

we're a blue collar program

PS: one thing that surprised me, 700 transfers nationwide, about two per school, a sure sign of the entitled times IMHO

Well said. In a nutshell: Blue collar program (that produces professionals) in a sea of entitled recruit prospects. The challenge will be to find the teachable studs in that sea and reel them in. I really feel that this entire exercise has a unitive effect going forward. We've always known who we are (Uconn). We've redefined what we are after and hell bent on getting it. We have the AD, Coach and assistants to make it happen.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He wants tough players with high basketball IQs? Is he changing his recruiting philosophy? We have not had that type of player in some time. And doesn't everyone want that type of player. I want results not spin.
It's spin if all he's doing is putting out a statement. If he's reflecting on his mistakes and reevaluating his focus with recruits resulting in getting players who fit his system then it's a positive and not spin.

Reaction Score
Ummm what?

Just in THIS situation alone, you have people making it clear with their quotes what they're feeling.

So you think this one quote was an isolated incident of lying by our AD in order to make it seem everything is fine?

That's ridiculous for this particular case for many reasons ...

I don't think the AD was lying at all. The AD needs to publicly support the head coach during a tough period. That said, I am sure he has some concerns given that only 2 healthy players are returning and the recruiting class took a pretty big hit when MAL opted out.

Reaction Score
I don't think the AD was lying at all. The AD needs to publicly support the head coach during a tough period. That said, I am sure he has some concerns given that only 2 healthy players are returning and the recruiting class took a pretty big hit when MAL opted out.

He was publicly supportive. He also interviewed every player to figure out what the hell went on. Actions speak louder than words.

Reaction Score
but Ollie has to be Ollie, he has to be true to himself. He has to run the systems and style he wants to run. I think a man has to win or lose doing what he believes in, Ollie has to find what works for him.

I would never want to be fired trying to be somebody else.

So I have no problem with any of the changes he's making, including Miller.
that was my take also. KO is going to do it his way and go down fighting his fight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Consistent with how AD Dave acted with Diaco.

AD didn't like results-

1. Interviews coaches, staff, players.
2. Gets together with coach to ask for improvement plan.
3. Asks coach what resources athletic department can provide.
4. Gives coach resources.
5. Looks for improved results.

In Diaco's case, the AD and Beth Goetz used their Rolodex to get a respected offensive mind to fix offense. Diaco refused the hire

Result? Fired. Org behavior 101. When your boss goes out and finds you resources to improve, you don't have veto power.

As for Ollie, AD said Ollie could get Chillious but Ollie had to make a one for one switch on staff cost wise.

AD has listened to why players left. This is Ollie's program with Ollie's attitude and vision. Ollie now has a S&C coach and another recruiter.

Assess, make changes, improve.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Still amazed that people think UConn has some special requirements for recruits compared to other schools. They don't.

Our former coach turned recruits into UConn players. Our current coach turns them into something less.

It's on him, not the kids. He needs to get better.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect it either (Chillious coming in as #2 or #3 coach and getting $125k). But UConn paid off Diaco and brought in a while slew of top asst coaches.
If Miller was let go instead of Ricky only because UConn didn't want to pay the $200k difference in salary, then thats an incredibly shortsighted move by Benedict. We're talking about the flagship sports program of UConn. One thing that Benedict is proving so far is that he's not someone who's penny wise but pound foolish. I have to believe that he'd have found the $ if that was the only sticking point to keeping Glenn instead of Ricky.

Do you realize how much tax payers are already subsidizing UConn athletics? I think they had to stay roughly on budget.
Football saved a lot in dropping Diaco's salary. I assume that went to the assistant coaches. The one time buy out for Diaco's is hard to swallow. But it is not in an annual budget.
The state was not going to pay it with their deficit.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think if AD Dave heard excuses and defensiveness, instead of corrective actions in the right direction, they would have been very different meetings.
This is where we are. I suggest people get on board or go
away.
This is UConn, no matter what team you think you deserve.
We are in a tough situation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Still amazed that people think UConn has some special requirements for recruits compared to other schools. They don't.

Our former coach turned recruits into UConn players. Our current coach turns them into something less.

I don't disagree, but would add that our former coach, while not perfect in this regard, also seemed to be better at judging "fit," which has a lot to do with increasing the odds that your recruits are capable of being turned into "UConn players" in the first place. It's a combination of nature and nurture imo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You can be a pretty pessimistic guy by nature, but you seem uncharacteristically negative/hostile toward Ollie. Is there more back story than last season's performance?

Reaction Score
The fact that the AD felt it necessary to interview everyone associated with the basketball program speaks volumes. That sort of thing never happens when things are going well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but would add that our former coach, while not perfect in this regard, also seemed to be better at judging "fit," which has a lot to do with increasing the odds that your recruits are capable of being turned into "UConn players" in the first place. It's a combination of nature and nurture imo.
Plus he developed a reputation such that recruits started off knowing whether he was a coach they could play under. The positive was he didn't have to do much weeding. The negative was a reduced recruiting pool.

I know it's apples and oranges but Geno went through a period of recruiting classes after the Sue Bird era in which he misjudged the character of his recruits. He had his pick of high school players but ended up making poor choices. He obviously learned from that.
There's an art to developing an understanding how to know which players fit your system. I'm impressed KO is choosing to get advice from Geno.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
JC thinks Miller is great at x and o's, but KO didn't want to run that type of stuff. You've seen our attempt at an NBA offense. We don't even have an inbounds play anymore. So goodbye to institutional knowledge and hello to guys known for recruiting. Again, anyone who thinks there was a master plan letting 4 guys walk because Chillious was coming in along with a bunch of talent were reading it wrong. My guess is 2 more years of seeing this through.

To be fair, we've been complaining about UConn's half-court offense since time immemorial.

Given the injuries and influx of new players, I'm less concerned about our (miserable) on-court performance this past season than I am about what's been going on behind the scenes. We've actually gotten a lot of information but I'm still mystified by the decisions of Enoch and, in particular, Durham.

Reaction Score
Great article. Gotta love the person giving the condition of the program and Ollie using the anonymity card. Either put your name on it or don't say anything. I am on the side of; I am not going to over react to the status of the program, knowing that we had injuries that hit the program hard last year. We had the 9th rated recruiting class going into the 2016-17. Given a healthy Gilbert, Diarra, and Larrier, we should have a better season going into the 2017-18.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, I was surprised to the flexibility argument pop up in the article:

There was disenchantment throughout the athletic department in the way the Huskies' front-court players were developing, slow in putting on weight, more flexibility than strength.

That's what happens when hiring a gymnastic condoning coach for a basketball team.

Reaction Score

This makes sense on the surface, but given what Ollie did with players that Calhoun recruited, I think there may be more nuance here than meets the eye. Calhoun was obviously great in virtually every aspect of coaching (that's what makes him one of the best ever), but I think he had an eye for a certain type of player and I think there are certain types of players that are easier to coach than others. Ollie may not be at that point yet and while some of it is needless romanticism, some of it may not be IMO. Bazz, Boat, and Giffey were different than Rondey, Kentan, and Amida. They just were. It was palpable every time they stepped on the court in a way that was innate.

Ollie has done a lot of things wrong over the past couple years but I'll allow for the possibility that he's genuinely seeking to change his philosophy on the trail. In fact, I think it's probably more likely than not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The fact that the AD felt it necessary to interview everyone associated with the basketball program speaks volumes. That sort of thing never happens when things are going well.

I think every human in the world realizes things aren't going well right now. It's no secret.

I would have been extremely disappointed if ADB didn't take these steps. It's his job.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
To be fair, we've been complaining about UConn's half-court offense since time immemorial.

Given the injuries and influx of new players, I'm less concerned about our (miserable) on-court performance this past season than I am about what's been going on behind the scenes. We've actually gotten a lot of information but I'm still mystified by the decisions of Enoch and, in particular, Durham.

With you on all that. People are going to be more happy with the O this year, having a top shelf experienced PG and high quality backup. Doesn't mean they'll win, but they will score more.

Wasn't surprised at all about Jackson, as anyone who was paying the remotest attention this season wouldn't be. I was most surprised about Durham. Doesn't make much sense on a number of levels to me.

Reaction Score
No offense, but that's a dumb mentality. Coaching is a skill. Learning and growth is a huge part of the profession. By the logic above, you never would have hired Bill Belichick given his performance in Cleveland.

Just catching up on this thread. I agree that the art of coaching college basketball is not linear...but how long are you going to wait until he figures it out? With Belichick, he was a long time assistant who played a big part in multiple superbowl teams and was pretty highly thought of. Ollie had a couple years as a 2nd or 3rd assistant following a long NBA career.

Ollie showed some great things in his first few years. But winning with that inherited core and building a program with your own players are two very different things. I'm not in the 'fire' Ollie camp yet, but the damage done to these last few recruiting classes is going to be very difficult to overcome. Last season was a punt with the injuries, but having 4 players leave is pretty nuts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just catching up on this thread. I agree that the art of coaching college basketball is not linear...but how long are you going to wait until he figures it out? With Belichick, he was a long time assistant who played a big part in multiple superbowl teams and was pretty highly thought of. Ollie showed some great things in his first few years. But winning with that inherited core and building a program with your own players are two very different things. I'm not in the 'fire' Ollie camp yet, but the damage done to these last few recruiting classes is going to be very difficult to overcome. Last season was a punt with the injuries, but having 4 players leave is pretty nuts.

I was going to give your post a like and then I realized that I would be ruining the symmetry.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 5.04.59 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel