Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie has been a head coach for 5 years, with almost no assistant coaching experience

Jim Calhoun was a 500 coach at NORTHEASTERN in his 1st 5 years, no indication at all what was to follow

Coach K was 73-59 at ARMY, then started 38-47 after 3 years at Dook. 8 years in, he was 111-106

Dean Smith was 66-47 after 5 years, 15-9 and 16-11 in years 4 and 5

Now I'm not saying Ollie is going to be an all-time great, so don't go stupid on me. What I am saying is that history has proven time and time again that even the great ones take a few years to find their sea legs.

IMO, unless next year is a complete disaster, which I think the opposite is more likely, then Ollie has at least two more years and probably through 2020 (one year before the end of his contract if they choose to not renew it)

Again, I don't think we'll ever see that happen, I think he'll be here as long as he chooses

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie has been a head coach for 5 years, with almost no assistant coaching experience

Jim Calhoun was a 500 coach at NORTHEASTERN in his 1st 5 years, no indication at all what was to follow

Coach K was 73-59 at ARMY, then started 38-47 after 3 years at Dook. 8 years in, he was 111-106

Now I'm not saying Ollie is going to be an all-time great, so don't go stupid on me. What I am saying is that history has proven time and time again that even the great ones take a few years to find their sea legs.

IMO, unless next year is a complete disaster, which I think the opposite is more likely, then Ollie has at least two more years and probably through 2020 (one year before the end of his contract if they choose to not renew it)

Again, I don't think we'll ever see that happen, I think he'll be here as long as he chooses

So you think that next season is going to be really good despite only having 2 healthy returning players and not a minute of D1 experience at power forward or center? Brilliant.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Please stop comparing Ollie to the hall of fame coach who built this program. If Calhoun was our head coach right now, we'd all feel confident he'd turn it around. Kevin Ollie is not Jim Calhoun, not many will ever come close to what he did, and Ollie certainly is not trending in that direction since 2014.

Reaction Score
Please stop comparing Ollie to the hall of fame coach who built this program. If Calhoun was our head coach right now, we'd all feel confident he'd turn it around. Kevin Ollie is not Jim Calhoun, not many will ever come close to what he did, and Ollie certainly is not trending in that direction since 2014.
No, they wouldn't. Go back to posts from 2010 and 2012 to see how many people thought JC's time was up.

The reason that people are reflexively supporting KO--maybe more than he deserves--is that this board can't handle any adversity. Calhoun had a down year in 2007 with no post-season, and everyone said he couldn't reach kids anymore. We have a disappointing NIT season in 2010 and we need to get rid of him. It's cyclical, and makes some of this stuff feel like the boy who cried wolf.

Now, when some of the less hysterical members are concerned (and they are now), it's worth taking note.

pj

Reaction Score
So you think that next season is going to be really good despite only having 2 healthy returning players and not a minute of D1 experience at power forward or center? Brilliant.

Stop this crap about 2 healthy returning players. Alterique is healthy and about to resume full-contact basketball. Larrier is healthy. Diarra has been cleared for full activity. Moreover the incoming players Polley, Carlton, Cobb, Anderson are healthy. Cobb has some D1 experience at center.

The glass is half-full and I understand that some may be dismayed that it is half-empty, but there's no basis for claiming it is empty and has a hole in the bottom.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, they wouldn't. Go back to posts from 2010 and 2012 to see how many people thought JC's time was up.

The reason that people are reflexively supporting KO--maybe more than he deserves--is that this board can't handle any adversity. Calhoun had a down year in 2007 with no post-season, and everyone said he couldn't reach kids anymore. We have a disappointing NIT season in 2010 and we need to get rid of him. It's cyclical, and makes some of this stuff feel like the boy who cried wolf.

Now, when some of the less hysterical members are concerned (and they are now), it's worth taking note.
Calhoun gave people much more reason to believe in 2007. He was an established hall of fame coach, who nobody could argue was going anywhere. That's not Kevin Ollie.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

This is just a really confusing post.

First off its unfair to compare him to these guys. For every Coach K, Calhoun, and Dean Smith there are a hundred Mike Davis's, Tom Crean's, Billy Gillispie's, Walt Hazzard's, John Thompson III's, etc. The list goes on. There's like a 75% better chance he joins the likes of the Crean and Davis, just hopping jobs every 5-6 years. Sometimes they never "find" their sea legs.

If Ollie doesn't right the ship in a big way, he will be out of here by 2019. The clock has already started and he needs to win big to set it back.

Reaction Score
Calhoun gave people much more reason to believe in 2007. He was an established hall of fame coach, who nobody could argue was going anywhere. That's not Kevin Ollie.
Sure. I'm telling you that I was here (or wherever this site was then), and the facts you point out didn't matter to people in 2007, 2010, or 2012. I promise you that, and anyone who has stuck around the site will CON_I_M it for you. Bobby Knight lost it and never got it back, right? That's the way it is sometimes with older coaches, so while I think people were dumb, they certainly felt justified.

I think KO has given people reasons to believe he can turn it around. He's won a title; he's persevered in the face of immense odds (his NBA career, 2013); the school is finally through the recruiting sanctions, and might finally be able to get its legs back. But he has work to do.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sure. I'm telling you that I was here (or wherever this site was then), and the facts you point out didn't matter to people in 2007, 2010, or 2012. I promise you that, and anyone who has stuck around the site will CON_I_M it for you. Bobby Knight lost it and never got it back, right? That's the way it is sometimes with older coaches, so while I think people were dumb, they certainly felt justified.

I think KO has given people reasons to believe he can turn it around. He's won a title; he's persevered in the face of immense odds (his NBA career, 2013); the school is finally through the recruiting sanctions, and might finally be able to get its legs back. But he has work to do.
I agree with everything you said. But Ollies resume does not compare to Calhouns in 2007. There is justifiable reasoning to suggest he shouldn't have the same leash with fans or management that Calhoun did.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said. But Ollies resume does not compare to Calhouns in 2007. There is justifiable reasoning to suggest he shouldn't have the same leash with fans or management that Calhoun did.
I agree on this entirely.

Reaction Score
Stop this crap about 2 healthy returning players. Alterique is healthy and about to resume full-contact basketball. Larrier is healthy. Diarra has been cleared for full activity. Moreover the incoming players Polley, Carlton, Cobb, Anderson are healthy. Cobb has some D1 experience at center.

The glass is half-full and I understand that some may be dismayed that it is half-empty, but there's no basis for claiming it is empty and has a hole in the bottom.
You can spin it however you want, the fact remains we have two returning healthy players who played last season and as it stands now we have far from a full team.

Reaction Score

I am not going to stop anything and you have no right to tell me to do so. The program is a dumpster fire. To state anything else is ignoring reality. Do you really think the team will be OK at the 4 and 5? Are you thinking Gilbert and Larrier return to 100% after a redshirt year without missing a beat? Add to all that some very questionable coaching over the past three seasons, and 2017-2018 is likely an uphill battle to say the least.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Oh man, it was brutal. There was an entire "the game has passed him by crowd". Was amazing.

Overall post is how I feel. I don't think I'm in either the positive or negative crowd on this particular debate. Generally positive elsewhere. But I do feel the need to trend positive now, because I see a bunch of the same garbage on here as there was in JC's later years. It was downright unreadable and I'd like to avoid that currently and in the future.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Ollie doesn't right the ship in a big way, he will be out of here by 2019. The clock has already started and he needs to win big to set it back.

I don't think he needs to win big per se. I could see this scenario: next year they have a decent season, yet miss the tournament...but win a few games in the NIT. In 2019, they make the tournament and wins a couple games. Ollie wouldn't be going anywhere.

Note: I absolutely 100% want them to make the tournament next season. And will be dissappointed if they don't, whether that's realistic of me or not.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't think he needs to win big per se. I could see this scenario: next year they have a decent season, yet miss the tournament...but win a few games in the NIT. In 2019, they make the tournament and wins a couple games. Ollie wouldn't be going anywhere.

Note: I absolutely 100% want them to make the tournament next season. And will be dissappointed if they don't, whether that's realistic of me or not.
Of course I'll be disappointed any time we don't make the tournament. However think this season really relies on how well Jalen and the guards play.

This team will be a hard out come tournament play, such is the nature of great guard oriented teams. But the regular season will probably be a struggle, lots of peaks and valleys with probably double-digit losses. But in tournament play I love our chances in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Cobb scored 27 points total in 24 games at South Carolina. He is literally the most experienced and accomplished "big" that we have. Perhaps he has developed substantially since then, but overall we don't have much up front unless Carlton is an impact player as a freshman.

I have a hard time envisioning lots of tournament success with no depth in the frontcourt unless our players really step up AND stay out of foul trouble.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have a hard time envisioning lots of tournament success with no depth in the frontcourt unless our players really step up AND stay out of foul trouble.

Pretty much gonna have to hope for a 2014 blue print. This means Larrier is going to have to assume the DD stretch 4. And that will be the hardest thing to do. DD seems longer than Larrier and more suited to playing D down low. I'm not sure if he can (or will want) to adjust to this.

I think who we have coming in can replicate freshman Brimah/Nolan.

Reaction Score
Pretty much gonna have to hope for a 2014 blue print. This means Larrier is going to have to assume the DD stretch 4. And that will be the hardest thing to do. DD seems longer than Larrier and more suited to playing D down low. I'm not sure if he can (or will want) to adjust to this.

I think who we have coming in can replicate freshman Brimah/Nolan.

If you include DD as a "big", the 2014 team had far more depth up front as DD, Olander, Brimah, Facey, and Nolan were all 6'9" or taller. And for all of Nolan's limitations, he was very solid on the defensive end for sure.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you include DD as a "big", the 2014 team had far more depth up front as DD, Olander, Brimah, Facey, and Nolan were all 6'9" or taller. And for all of Nolan's limitations, he was very solid on the defensive end for sure.

And this team has Larrier, Carlton, Polley, and Cobb.

If they land a guy like the VCU or St John's transfer, I don't see how you could say it has "far" more depth. I'm not even sure it's more depth.

Reaction Score

If they land a guy like the VCU or St John's transfer, I don't see how you could say it has "far" more depth. I'm not even sure it's more depth.
Polley and Larrier are not low post players. Larrier may need to play down low out of necessity though.

And your list is comprised of a 3 playing out of position in Larrier, two incoming freshmen, and a guy who scored 27 total points in 24 games at South Carolina. I will take the frontcourt of the 2014 team over the current roster any time.

Reaction Score

The guys on the 2014 team had experience with Daniels, Nolan and Olander. Daniels and Larrier could be comparable talent wise but Larrier hasn't played in two years. Facey and Nolan were ranked higher than any of the guys coming in this year and Olander was ranked at least as high. Some of these new players might turn out to be serviceable or even excellent but as of now I don't see anyway you can compare the frontcourts.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

No doubt. Our depth is criminally low next year, thanks to defections. Facey and Olander were write offs though. We could count on Nolan for some D, so that was a good end of the bench guy to have.

The absolute key to that front court was DD though. The center was 5 fouls and some D.

Reaction Score
That is absolutely a product of the divorce, at least that's how ive become..
When did he get divorced? because that can´t be used forever... With time (like, over summer, with time to rest emotionally, etc.) one would figure he would get his groove back...

Edit: seems it was 2015...at some point that can´t be an excuse anymore, like...now.

pj

Reaction Score
When did he get divorced? because that can´t be used forever... With time (like, over summer, with time to rest emotionally, etc.) one would figure he would get his groove back...

Edit: seems it was 2015...at some point that can´t be an excuse anymore, like...now.

Agreed. That's why those of us who believe the divorce (and the new coach learning curve) were significant factors, also believe the trajectory is up from here.

Reaction Score
KO went 20-10 and 32-8 in his first two years. A .743 winning %. A great job by any objective standard, especially for a new head coach.

He has gone 61-43 over the past 3 seasons at 20-15, 25-11, and 16-17. That's a winning % of .586. Add all the recent defections to that drop-off in success and many of us are understandably concerned about the status of the program and KO's ability to turn things around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom