Americans Abroad | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
I don’t think Man City even announced his signing publicly

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know what a loan shark is; but what does one call a Club that signs as many players as it can with no real intent on playing them and loans them out to other teams? Anyway, USMNT Steffen is on the move back to Germany on a loan from Man City to Fortuna Dusseldorf

Smart business? Not that the club is hurting for cash but if these young, cheap players show well on loans, they'll command a decent transfer fee, or show rotational depth for Man City.

Reaction Score
Another deal, Haji Wright going from Schalke in the Bundesliga to VVV Venlo in the Dutch Eredivisie league on a 'collaborative agreement,' which I think translates into purchase that retains a buy-back option. Looks like this is about playing time, which all of the USMNY member need ahead of WC qualifying.

Reaction Score
Antonee Robinson making a permanent move to Wigan. That's fine, another good season or two for him in the Championship can prove he's ready for a step to the EPL or another top league.

Meanwhile, Weston McKennie is apparently in contention to be named captain at Schalke. At the bright age of 20, playing in a top foreign league for one of its five most prestigious clubs, that's most impressive. He, Adams, and Pulisic are the heart of the future. I'd love to see a 4-2-3-1 with Adams/McKennie as Holding/CDMs and Pulisic as the 10, or on one of the wings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully Boyd will get more playing time in Turkey, including exposure to some high-level clubs in Europa in 2019/20, than he did on the USMNT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hopefully Boyd will get more playing time in Turkey, including exposure to some high-level clubs in Europa in 2019/20, than he did on the USMNT.
Besiktas is my team in Turkey. I hope Boyd gets more time than Larin got last year.

Reaction Score

Word on the street was he was injured and they wanted to keep him off the field in order to not disrupt his transfer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't see it; but, apparently a Premiership team is after USMNT Long; but, the Red Bulls have rejected at least one offer so far.

Reaction Score
Dest has been playing quite a bit of LB for Ajax this preseason; I think they see him as good bench cover for both outside back spots. Best to get him cap-tied as soon as possible. Holland will be sniffing around if he continues to ascend at this trajectory and as of now he's still eligible to file a one-time switch.

He had a somewhat up-and-down U20 WC; did not play well against Ukraine, for example, then had an outstanding showing in the France upset. Definitely more good than bad on the whole. If we keep him involved with our setup, I think he'll become a key member of the defense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I thought they had Adams at RB and Ream "playing" LB.

IMO, unless someone emerges we have our 5 midfielders for now. Play them together as much as possible and try to find a serviceable 9 (I'd give Morris a shot, he's very strong) and 4 defenders. I think we go into 2022 with a lesser GK than we've had in a long time but it is what it is.

?
Arriola Pulisic Boyd
McKennie Adams
? ? ? ?
?

Reaction Score
I thought they had Adams at RB and Ream "playing" LB.

IMO, unless someone emerges we have our 5 midfielders for now. Play them together as much as possible and try to find a serviceable 9 (I'd give Morris a shot, he's very strong) and 4 defenders. I think we go into 2022 with a lesser GK than we've had in a long time but it is what it is.

?
Arriola Pulisic Boyd
McKennie Adams
? ? ? ?
?
Morris??? That’s crazy, he’s like 6th in my depth chart, he has worse control than Zardes and absolutely no left foot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't see it; but, apparently a Premiership team is after USMNT Long; but, the Red Bulls have rejected at least one offer so far.

He's been our (USA) best CB for awhile now. Minus Brooks of course, who's usually hurt.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Morris??? That’s crazy, he’s like 6th in my depth chart, he has worse control than Zardes and absolutely no left foot.

He can run and hold the ball. Isn't that what we value around here in a 9? Scoring goals sure isn't. During the GC he threw off a few defenders with his strength and doesn't look comfortable wide.

If Jozy and Zardes are the answer, and they aren't, who else is next in line? It's not Sargent yet, but leaving him off the main roster is stupid.

Reaction Score
For the next camp, give me all foreign club players up top.... Boyd, Weah, Sargent, Wood, and maybe Soto (assuming it doesn’t interfere with U23 play, in which case 3 of the 5 should go olympic qualifying route).

Here’s our approximate player-pool for Forwards (and I’ll include the Berhalter crushes since, let’s face it, they’re getting heavy consideration). I may have forgotten a couple, but this is probably the bulk of it.

Zardes MLS
Altidore - MLS
Morris - MLS
Wood - Germany
Boyd - Turkey
Weah - France
Sargent - Germany
Soto - Germany
Novokavich - Dutch
Arriola - MLS
Lewis - MLS
DeLaFuente - ???
Rennicks - MLS
Reyna (not sure if he'd play up top or as a CAM) - Germany

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Wood, Weah, Sargent, Morris for the 9.

Arriola and Boyd can have the wings until someone else steps up. This isn't difficult.

What's difficult is finding 4 at the back. No one has cemented a spot and we are nearly halfway through the WC cycle.

Reaction Score
PSV Eindhoven trying to sign Chris Gloster from Hannover. He’d be competing against 2 others for starting LB role. Hannover already told him he’d be with the first team this season.

Would be great if the move happens. PSV I’m contention for Champions League (need to win a couple playoffs first).

LINK

Reaction Score
Wood, Weah, Sargent, Morris for the 9.

Arriola and Boyd can have the wings until someone else steps up. This isn't difficult.

What's difficult is finding 4 at the back. No one has cemented a spot and we are nearly halfway through the WC cycle.
Jozy, Zardes, Sargent, Nova and Soto are all better players than Morris. Look at Morris’ scoring record. For LB Gloster and eventually Bello, RB Yedlin and Cannon, who is getting looked at by Anderlecht. CB’s should be Brooks and Long, with Miazga, CCV and EPB/Richards.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Jozy, Zardes, Sargent, Nova and Soto are all better players than Morris. Look at Morris’ scoring record. For LB Gloster and eventually Bello, RB Yedlin and Cannon, who is getting looked at by Anderlecht. CB’s should be Brooks and Long, with Miazga, CCV and EPB/Richards.

Hard no on Jozy in 2022, which means a hard no in 2019. Zardes can't handle the ball. Scoring with your face has little strategic value. The lost opportunity costs of playing those two guys is enormous, negligent.

I say Morris because he is the guy who keeps getting called up. Can he play the 9, I have no idea. I just know that the unknown is better than what we have now. I'll need to see Sargent. Soto, and Nova at the senior level. Sargent looks like the real deal and should be playing with 20 yr old CP as much as possible.

As for the back 4, the names you lost sound OK but I've yet to see them collectively do anything that leads me to believe they won't be a liability in qualifying. Maybe it's them, the coaching, the system, or the keeper but the D has stunk this year. Regularly exposed by lesser attacking squads.

Reaction Score
A brief write up on Sargent.
“Sargent using Gold Cup disappointment to fuel first-team drive at Werder Bremen”
Scored the only goal in yesterday’s friendly win v Cologne. Berhalter is a horses arse. But hey, more Zardes and Morris please.

LINK

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom