Americans Abroad | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
CCV started both games for Spurs this week, and had a mixed bag results wise (v PSG and v Roma).
Vs. PSG he got caught lunging towards a ball in no mans land which ultimately resulted in an easy goal for Cavanni to open the scoring, but also had some solid marking and clearances.
Vs. Roma he was called for a handball in the box which resulted in a PK goal for Roma. It was a questionable call, and really strange how the referee didn't call it, but the 4th official weighed in and a PK was called (the officiating last night was terrible all around. The match started to get out of control un the 2nd half, especially for a friendly. Spurs were robbed of what should have been 2 PK's). CCVwas inconsistent. I don't think he helped his case to be the #3 center back to sub in for Vertonghan or Alderweireld this season, but we'll see what the matches v. City and then Juve shows over the next 2 weeks. If Poch doesn't think he's ready this year, I'd love to see him loaned out where he could get 60 +/- minutes consistently against solid competition to develop. He is only 19 years old and will develop in to a very good center back in time, but he did not look ready yet. He didn't look lost, he just looked inexperienced (and he was up against some of the best strikers in the world who are playing for UCL caliber teams).

Saw a ton of negative feedback on twitter regarding him last night. Apparently the consensus was that he didn't seem to read the game well.

Reaction Score
CCV started both games for Spurs this week, and had a mixed bag results wise (v PSG and v Roma).
Vs. PSG he got caught lunging towards a ball in no mans land which ultimately resulted in an easy goal for Cavanni to open the scoring, but also had some solid marking and clearances.
Vs. Roma he was called for a handball in the box which resulted in a PK goal for Roma. It was a questionable call, and really strange how the referee didn't call it, but the 4th official weighed in and a PK was called (the officiating last night was terrible all around. The match started to get out of control un the 2nd half, especially for a friendly. Spurs were robbed of what should have been 2 PK's). CCVwas inconsistent. I don't think he helped his case to be the #3 center back to sub in for Vertonghan or Alderweireld this season, but we'll see what the matches v. City and then Juve shows over the next 2 weeks. If Poch doesn't think he's ready this year, I'd love to see him loaned out where he could get 60 +/- minutes consistently against solid competition to develop. He is only 19 years old and will develop in to a very good center back in time, but he did not look ready yet. He didn't look lost, he just looked inexperienced (and he was up against some of the best strikers in the world who are playing for UCL caliber teams).

His physical skills are absolutely terrific. There was one strip he made of an attacker that was great. But he is not near having the mental consistency that you need as a centerback, playing 90 minutes week after week with no mental errors. He would absolutely be helped being loaned somewhere where he could play regularly. Unfortunately, not Pooch's way.

Reaction Score
I wonder what it would be like if Nagbe actually did something that at least contributed to a goal? That play versus Costa Rica was pathetic.

he is as good a dribbler as we have here. Despite what others have said, I don't think he's a terrific passer. Taking on a man or two in the middle of the field is great, but if you can't then make the impactful pass when you have an opportunity to, it doesn't amount to much.

Reaction Score
Saw a ton of negative feedback on twitter regarding him last night. Apparently the consensus was that he didn't seem to read the game well.
That sounds about right. He showed a little better v. PSG than he did against Roma (in my opinion), and as BL posted it was more mental lapses as opposed to physical. He needs game experience and I don't think he will get it at Wembley this season. It will be interesting to see how Poch lines up v. City Saturday evening.

Reaction Score
That sounds about right. He showed a little better v. PSG than he did against Roma (in my opinion), and as BL posted it was more mental lapses as opposed to physical. He needs game experience and I don't think he will get it at Wembley this season. It will be interesting to see how Poch lines up v. City Saturday evening.

Center Back is a pretty cerebral position. Even Brooks makes some really bad errors but he is still considered a top CB in the Bundesliga.

I had no idea that Brooks was sold to Wolfsburg for a record fee. That's the largest fee ever for an American player. Pulisic will probably fetch three times as much, maybe more if sold to an American owned EPL side.

John Brooks to join Wolfsburg for record fee for U.S. player - reports

Reaction Score
Center Back is a pretty cerebral position. Even Brooks makes some really bad errors but he is still considered a top CB in the Bundesliga.

I had no idea that Brooks was sold to Wolfsburg for a record fee. That's the largest fee ever for an American player. Pulisic will probably fetch three times as much, maybe more if sold to an American owned EPL side.

John Brooks to join Wolfsburg for record fee for U.S. player - reports
had no idea about Brooks either... wow. Wolfsburg is in selling mode too. At the end of your linked article "Reuters reported on Tuesday that Wolfsburg, owned by carmaker Volksmagen, have been told to trim their budget by about €90m next season."

Reaction Score
Jann George is a little known player with Jahn Regensburg who is eligible to play for the US. George scored the first goal of today's game at Arminia Bielefeld. Regensburg were just promoted to the 2nd Bundesliga. Their season just started this weekend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Of all American players, Bobby Wood is probably most threatened by Dom Dwyer’s switch to represent his adopted country

images

Nice article, but we pretty much know all of them. Thought it might be about some young guns in Europe.

Reaction Score
I had no idea that Danny Williams signed with Huddersfield Town. Now Bruce Arena has less reasons to ignore him.

Reaction Score
Of all American players, Bobby Wood is probably most threatened by Dom Dwyer’s switch to represent his adopted country

images

Nice article, but we pretty much know all of them. Thought it might be about some young guns in Europe.

Doesn't make sense since Dwyer can't get shots on frame as well and can't play on the wing. Dwyer is a tractor and Wood is some kind of vehicle that can go quicker than a tractor. Jozy should be the one more threatened.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Doesn't make sense since Dwyer can't get shots on frame as well and can't play on the wing. Dwyer is a tractor and Wood is some kind of vehicle that can go quicker than a tractor. Jozy should be the one more threatened.
I don't think Wood, Altidore, Dempsey or Morris are going to feel too threatened.

Maybe Dwyer instead of Zardes with Wood and Morris able to play the wings as needed. I'd like that much better.

Reaction Score
I don't think Wood, Altidore, Dempsey or Morris are going to feel too threatened.

Maybe Dwyer instead of Zardes with Wood and Morris able to play the wings as needed. I'd like that much better.

Zardes is a winger on the USMNT. Dwyer is #9 only.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Zardes is a winger on the USMNT. Dwyer is #9 only.
Yes I know. That's why I said with Wood and Morris able to play the wings as needed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had no idea that Danny Williams signed with Huddersfield Town. Now Bruce Arena has less reasons to ignore him.
Danny Williams and Capt. Picard? Just more reasons to buy the added package.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Good grief. Yes, we know everything European is better than anything American.

We've seen Danny Williams plenty. He had his chances to show he had to be part of the USMNT core. He didn't capitalize. He's no better and no worse than those on our bench and those who could be on our bench but aren't.

Hopefully he gets regular playing time, he gets better and he then both deserves and forces his way into our core. But to pretend he earned it when he had his chances -- please.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Yes, we know everything European is better than anything American.

We've seen Danny Williams plenty. He had his chances to show he had to be part of the USMNT core. He didn't capitalize. He's no better and no worse than those on our bench and those who could be on our bench but aren't.

Hopefully he gets regular playing time, he gets better and he then both deserves and forces his way into our core. But to pretend he earned it when he had his chances -- please.

Danny Williams>Acosta

Your MLS bias is disgusting. Seriously, if Williams played for Chicago he would get called up every camp. Not even debateable.

English Championship > MLS

Reaction Score
Danny Williams>Acosta

Your MLS bias is disgusting. Seriously, if Williams played for Chicago he would get called up every camp. Not even debateable.

English Championship > MLS

Your thinking you can characterize me is funny. Personally, I would play Williams over Acosta. It doesn't change the fact that Williams was given a chance to grab the job and didn't take it.

He has another chance. He has to play regularly for Huddlestown and make an impact and he'll be back.

Reaction Score
Your thinking you can characterize me is funny. Personally, I would play Williams over Acosta. It doesn't change the fact that Williams was given a chance to grab the job and didn't take it.

He has another chance. He has to play regularly for Huddlestown and make an impact and he'll be back.

Williams has been injured at some inopportune moments.

Reaction Score
Pulisic opened the scoring for Dortmund v Bayern in the German Super Cup. It's now 1-1 late 1st half. Game is on Fox right now.

At this point, on a global scale there isn't a better American talent in any sport. He still has two months before he is 19 and he is punking out Bayern Munich defenders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom