Americans Abroad | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
Good Christian Pulisic articles: 'It was scary – you’re not thinking about football that night or the next day'

And after entering in the 2nd half of Saturday's German Cup final, Pulisic drew the penalty resulting in departing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's game winning goal. Borussia Dortmund ended a run of three successive German Cup final defeats with a 2-1 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in Berlin: Borussia Dortmund’s Aubameyang sinks Eintracht Frankfurt to land cup

He's up for an ESPY tonight.

Reaction Score
look out for the boys on Schalke, too. McKenney and Wright are two young bright spots fighting for a place as Bundesliga starters. Think Bruce even considers them for bench spots next summer? I say no, because we have Dax *** McCarty

U.S. youngster Weston McKennie impressing with Schalke senior squad

God, could we stop the preemptive whining about kids who've never played in a major league not getting call ups yet. If these kids, or Perez in Florence, or others, actually are playing regularly in a Big 4 league they will get their chance with the USMNT. But to be complaining about their being rejected before they are rejected is just bizarre.

Who had a real role in a Big 4 league and hasn't had a chance? Wisky will start referring me to Scotland but please. Gooch was getting his chance before he got hurt, and he wasn't even that high in the U.S. junior player pool before getting his shot in Barclays.

Reaction Score
God, could we stop the preemptive whining about kids who've never played in a major league not getting call ups yet. If these kids, or Perez in Florence, or others, actually are playing regularly in a Big 4 league they will get their chance with the USMNT. But to be complaining about their being rejected before they are rejected is just bizarre.

Who had a real role in a Big 4 league and hasn't had a chance? Wisky will start referring me to Scotland but please. Gooch was getting his chance before he got hurt, and he wasn't even that high in the U.S. junior player pool before getting his shot in Barclays.

A Bundesliga bench warmer is better than Dax and Rowe.

Reaction Score
So you'd rather bring a Zusi or Dax to Russia than one of these kids who at worst will have a long MLS career?

Reaction Score
A Bundesliga bench warmer is better than Dax and Rowe.

The Schalke kids are both in the national team junior pool, and only didn't play this summer because Schalke didn't release them (I'm sure that's MLS's fault as well). When they are ready for the national team, they will get there chance. Is there a chance Arena will be somewhat too quick or too slow to make the first call up? Of course there is. But the theory that Arena is concerned about protecting MLS and not protecting his job and legacy by winning is just bizarre.

(By the way -- the two Schalke kids were not yet regular bench players in the Bundesliga. If they step up to that level this year, great. But the US Federation knows what these young men can do.

Reaction Score
The Schalke kids are both in the national team junior pool, and only didn't play this summer because Schalke didn't release them (I'm sure that's MLS's fault as well). When they are ready for the national team, they will get there chance. Is there a chance Arena will be somewhat too quick or too slow to make the first call up? Of course there is. But the theory that Arena is concerned about protecting MLS and not protecting his job and legacy by winning is just bizarre.

(By the way -- the two Schalke kids were not yet regular bench players in the Bundesliga. If they step up to that level this year, great. But the US Federation knows what these young men can do.

It's not bizarre. It's in the business plan. If you really want to speak from an informed position some day then look into Soccer United Marketing. There is no seperation between church and state.

Even Jurgen didn't have a free hand on call ups. I was reading somewhere the other day that he couldn't call up too many players from one MLS team because he had to "spread the wealth".

Seeing all these empty stadiums at US games is really kind of sad. This team has no sizzle.

Reaction Score
It's not bizarre. It's in the business plan. If you really want to speak from an informed position some day then look into Soccer United Marketing. There is no seperation between church and state.

Even Jurgen didn't have a free hand on call ups. I was reading somewhere the other day that he couldn't call up too many players from one MLS team because he had to "spread the wealth".

Seeing all these empty stadiums at US games is really kind of sad. This team has no sizzle.

The empty stadiums is outpricing their product. If the prices keep going up for games when the A team isn't suited up, the largely empty stadiums is an obvious result.

Reaction Score
Just in case you guys want to cleanse the palette after watching dreck like Zardes and Rowe.

What's funny is that Alexi Layla's still thinks that Darlington Nagbe is a bigger talent. Darlington is good and all but come on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Just in case you guys want to cleanse the palette after watching dreck like Zardes and Rowe.

What's funny is that Alexi Layla's still thinks that Darlington Nagbe is a bigger talent. Darlington is good and all but come on.

You are such an over-the-top dude.

Do you think you are going to find a person on this board or anywhere in America that isn't excited about Pulisic? Really? And what on earth does that have to do with Nagbe? It's not a binary choice. We can have both.

Your quest to disparage anything remotely associated with the MLS is tiring at best and stupid at worst. Nagbe is indeed a talented player with a lot of upside. I don't care what league he comes from...

Reaction Score
You are such an over-the-top dude.

Do you think you are going to find a person on this board or anywhere in America that isn't excited about Pulisic? Really? And what on earth does that have to do with Nagbe? It's not a binary choice. We can have both.

Your quest to disparage anything remotely associated with the MLS is tiring at best and stupid at worst. Nagbe is indeed a talented player with a lot of upside. I don't care what league he comes from...

I said Nagbe was good, Just sick about hearing how these guys are supposedly Ferraris when they are Pontiac Fieros at best.

Reaction Score
I said Nagbe was good, Just sick about hearing how these guys are supposedly Ferraris when they are Pontiac Fieros at best.
Upon obtaining US citizenship last year, consistently competing against overall better talent could further enable the fairly talented Nagbe to expand and enhance his overall skills. For example, Erdivisie, Jupiler, Ligue 1 ... clearly not the Prem. However, could the 27 year old Nagbe already be a bit long in the tooth for some clubs and leagues?

Reaction Score
Upon obtaining US citizenship last year, consistently competing against overall better talent could further enable the fairly talented Nagbe to expand and enhance his overall skills. For example, Erdivisie, Jupiler, Ligue 1 --- clearly not the Prem. However, could the 27 year old Nagbe already be a bit long in the tooth for some clubs and leagues?

Brodge was trying to buy him last year from Portland. Hopefully his contract is up soon so that he can get clear of that MLS noose.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
CCV starts for Spurs at RB. ESPN right now
CCV started both games for Spurs this week, and had a mixed bag results wise (v PSG and v Roma).
Vs. PSG he got caught lunging towards a ball in no mans land which ultimately resulted in an easy goal for Cavanni to open the scoring, but also had some solid marking and clearances.
Vs. Roma he was called for a handball in the box which resulted in a PK goal for Roma. It was a questionable call, and really strange how the referee didn't call it, but the 4th official weighed in and a PK was called (the officiating last night was terrible all around. The match started to get out of control un the 2nd half, especially for a friendly. Spurs were robbed of what should have been 2 PK's). CCVwas inconsistent. I don't think he helped his case to be the #3 center back to sub in for Vertonghan or Alderweireld this season, but we'll see what the matches v. City and then Juve shows over the next 2 weeks. If Poch doesn't think he's ready this year, I'd love to see him loaned out where he could get 60 +/- minutes consistently against solid competition to develop. He is only 19 years old and will develop in to a very good center back in time, but he did not look ready yet. He didn't look lost, he just looked inexperienced (and he was up against some of the best strikers in the world who are playing for UCL caliber teams).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder what it would be like if Nagbe actually did something that at least contributed to a goal? That play versus Costa Rica was pathetic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom