All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It doesn't have to be unanimous. Michigan, Ohio State and one other voted against PSU.
I did'nt know that but knew RU/MD were unanimously voted in! I wonder who the "other" was voting against PSU? Now I understand the OSU/Mich hate at PSU.

Reaction Score
I was not aware that Ohio State nor Michigan had any special "hate" towards PSU.

Interesting. I know that some PSU fans had a difficult time warming up to the B1G, but I thought that was long past.

Reaction Score
I was not aware that Ohio State nor Michigan had any special "hate" towards PSU.

Interesting. I know that some PSU fans had a difficult time warming up to the B1G, but I thought that was long past.

They voted against PSU. The big game refs in that conference were old codgers who lived in Ann Arbor. One of them, Witvoet, actually traveled with a U Michigan duffel. The pic of him carrying it at an airport is priceless.

Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press voted OSU 8th in the poll last night. Reminds me of the time in 1994 when the B1G sports writers voted undefeated PSU down in favor of Nebraska.

The thing that sticks in most PSU fans minds besides the crazy on the field calls is a 5th down for Michigan in the PSU end zone because the ref threw a flag on the fans for too much noise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huh? I never knew it was the Scarlet Knights vs the Knights. Cool...a joust of sorts.

In fact, I'd never heard of Farleigh Dickinson as a university or a basketball program. The name was faintly familiar however and I thought maybe it might be a relative of Emily. I googled to become more informed.

Better known in NJ as "Fairly Ridiculous,"

Reaction Score
Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press voted OSU 8th in the poll last night. Reminds me of the time in 1994 when the B1G sports writers voted undefeated PSU down in favor of Nebraska.

Drew Sharp has been hating on the Big Ten for years now, regardless of the team so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. He had Michigan unranked the entire season, even during the semi decent mid-season streak.

Reaction Score
Drew Sharp has been hating on the Big Ten for years now, regardless of the team so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. He had Michigan unranked the entire season, even during the semi decent mid-season streak.
He must be a MAC fan.

Reaction Score
Actually, while Texas wouldn't budge, Larry Scott had 4 schools lined up to go to to the Pac-12 (I think it was OU, OSU, TAMU, and Tech) but got vetoed by the Pac-12 school presidents.

That is correct.

If memory serves, without Texas, the Pac was not going to bring in the others. The Texas media market is the big prise, and, they would not have it without UT. Baylor tried to worm their way in, but, Cal and Stanford would have none of that. Basically, no Texas, no expansion.

Goes to show that there's multiple parts to the puzzle and that the conference commissioner doesn't have free reign.

I doubt any conference commisioner has free reign to pick which schools they want invited. Every league has their alpha males that want their best interests taken care of above all others.

Reaction Score
A decision they'll regret if they ever end up having to add Boise St. and UNLV.

Do you ever see the Pac getting THAT desperate? I don't.

They are in a prime position. They have zero conference competition west of the Rockies, and, they dominate ALL of the major media markets out there.

Reaction Score
I would have liked it a WHOLE lot more if you guy's and us went into a P5 conference as a NYC lockdown move! I know your next but it would disappoint me if it was ACC as we should be playing yrly and rumor is somethings in the work's!! CR moves are usually hot in Nov/Dec but I've heard nothing in the wind this yr yet !?!

Even if UConn ends up in the ACC, why not play each other as OOC foes? UConn-Rutgers could be a cool OOC rivalry for the northeast.

Reaction Score
It doesn't have to be unanimous. Michigan, Ohio State and one other voted against PSU.

Indiana, Michigan, and Michigan State supposedly voted against Penn State. Here's an article about Penn State and the Big Ten. It's from 2010. So it doesn't have the Jerry Sandusky stuff in it. Basically Penn State doesn't fit into the clique. Maryland and Rutgers will fit in less IMO. The three of them will lean on each other I guess.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/22/1523717/penn-state-history-joining-the-big

Reaction Score

They are in a prime position. They have zero conference competition west of the Rockies, and, they dominate ALL of the major media markets out there.

If all conferences have to go to 16, then maybe

Reaction Score

I could see a Nevada school in the PAC 12 at some point sure. They already play their men's basketball tournament in Las Vegas. I could also see Hawaii at some point. Larry Scott wants to promote the PAC 12 in Asia. Hawaii is a stop off to get there, and there is a wealth of geological research opportunity for PAC 12 schools in the Hawaiian Islands. The academic snobs in the PAC 12 are all in California. These others would need to get their grades up so to speak, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
If all conferences have to go to 16, then maybe

Texas aside, there are not any major media markets west of the Mississippi River that'd do them any good. And, without any competition, they can sit at 12, and, do fine. They are the one league who does not have to go to 16 teams, IMHO.

And, former Texas AD DeLoss Dodds said UT would look east in the future, not west. They want access to the major metro areas in the northeast, and, the B1G and ACC are their only options for that.

Reaction Score
I could see a Nevada school in the PAC 12 at some point sure. They already play their men's basketball tournament in Las Vegas. I could also see Hawaii at some point. Larry Scott wants to promote the PAC 12 in Asia. Hawaii is a stop off to get there, and there is a wealth of geological research opportunity for PAC 12 schools in the Hawaiian Islands. The academic snobs in the PAC 12 are all in California. These others would need to get their grades up so to speak, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I disagree. Neither UNLV nor Nevada will meet their criteria academically. Of the remaining western schools, only BYU and Air Force would. Both Cal and Stanford are adamant about not adding any teams with a religious affiliation, so, that knocks BYU out. And, Air Force cannot recruit enough athletes to be competitive in any sport aside from football. JMHO...

Reaction Score
Love how this is the only thread on here that doesn't get "flooded" ;-) by RU fans.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Neither UNLV nor Nevada will meet their criteria academically. Of the remaining western schools, only BYU and Air Force would. Both Cal and Stanford are adamant about not adding any teams with a religious affiliation, so, that knocks BYU out. And, Air Force cannot recruit enough athletes to be competitive in any sport aside from football. JMHO...

BYU is an awful academic school. I'd say that takes precedence over any religious objections. If ND wants to join the Pac-10, there are no objections.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU is an awful academic school. I'd say that takes precedence over any religious objections. If ND wants to join the Pac-10, there are no objections.

That is just an ignorant statement.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn ends up in the ACC, why not play each other as OOC foes? UConn-Rutgers could be a cool OOC rivalry for the northeast.
Rumor is thats already in the work's(UConn) as RU want's to keep playing as many local team's as possible and recognize the value of continuing the growing FB rivalries with neighboring or old BE school's (minus Cuse/BC for recruiting reason's?) and budgetary reason's! I think maybe Temple is on their radar in the future too but UConn has more upside to offer as possible future conference brothers but even if they went ACC RU would do it IMO. Myself I don't mind playing ACC school's not named SU or BC though the hate for BC seem's to be receding on Rutgers board's?

Reaction Score
That is just an ignorant statement.

It's not. This is a school that fires people for conducting research. It has a well known reputation for being anti-research, anti-intellectual, anti-publishing. It is basically Mormon indoctrination. That's the main thrust. People don't even know that the school president doesn't have final say in what gets taught. The local leaders of temples have vetoes over everything there. Especially over Mormon faculty, who make up a good proportion of faculty. To even call this place a university is a joke.

Reaction Score
An annual game would be good. Couple it with basketball, men's and women's too.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
As a fan base, should we actively promote our school by sending Christmas cards to Delaney @ The B1G office? Maybe add a line about "Hope to see you soon".
OK, just spell Delany correctly. ;)

Jim Delany probably wins the most misspelled name award in Conference Realignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom