All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All right, enough. Get Delaney on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And notice it DID NOT happen...
...because Texas wouldn't budge, not because the Pac-12 opted against it.

I think the power conferences are fine at 12 or 14 or any other even number, but they would all expand to 16 if it makes sense. So far, no scenario has prompted them to make that move, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

You're being a little hopeful that the AAC will be a permanent fixture. It might be, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Reaction Score

I think the power conferences are fine at 12 or 14 or any other even number, but they would all expand to 16 if it makes sense. So far, no scenario has prompted them to make that move, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

You're being a little hopeful that the AAC will be a permanent fixture. It might be, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

If it ever becomes permanent, UConn will depart for a more regional conference.

Reaction Score
If it ever becomes permanent, UConn will depart for a more regional conference.
UConn, UMass, Buffalo, Temple, Cincinatti, ECU, USF, UCF, ARMY, NAVY. Makes more sense than what we have now and im sure it could command similar money.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
As a university that would love to get a miracle life raft to the B1G, do we want Rutgers to suck so bad and draw so few that it even makes Delany re-think his strategy of eastward expansion? Or at the very least strengthen the resolve of the Presidents who want to keep it a midwest conference as much as possible?
I sure hope he starts rethinking his approach.

He's not going to stop trying for New York. It's too late to go back on that now that Rutgers is in the conference. But maybe he'll stop trying with raw population numbers and will turn to content/performance. We can't forget his quote about pursuing championships in all sports. We have always known that the addition of RU and MD was to get the "B1G boys" on DC/NY/NJ/Philly/Baltimore TV screens, not for pursuing championships, and now he has the bridges to expand contiguously for some actual contenders. If the B1G goes to 20 when the Big 12 GoR is up, I could see him going after UVA and UNC (now bridged by MD), UConn (now bridged by RU), and KU, OU and Texas (now bridged by Nebraska). I think we should not overlook the only B1G expansions since PSU in 1993. The ONLY things that the three schools have in common is their flagship status and contiguity with the footprint. But if you look just beyond, you see that these additions very well may have been calculated moves to eventually set up the addition of their much more desired neighbors, who would be geographically unavailable otherwise. Delany's just been working with what he has now, while UConn sucks at football, lacks AAU, and is discontiguous with PA; UVA, UNC, Texas, KU and OU bound in GORs and discontiguous with PA and Iowa; and Rutgers needed a life raft and MD had an impulsive president (and promising markets).

Imagine an East division of Indiana, MSU, Mich, OSU, PSU, RU, UConn, MD, UVA and UNC, and a West division of Purdue, Illinois, NW, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minn, Nebraska, KU, OU and Texas. The only way you could make a stronger top-to-bottom conference for basketball and football is if you took the 20 best schools from the ACC and SEC.

edit: maybe something like Miami, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Clemson, SC, Duke, VT, Cuse, UK, Louisville, Mizzou, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Memphis, Arkansas, Mississippi, NC State. But even then, there are several states with multiple teams in them. But that's what the B1G will force if they can establish this kind of footprint.

Rutgers is failing before they can even start. If UConn can't capture NY for the B1G, nobody can. We really are Delany's only option and always have been. I'm sure he knows this. Cuse is in the ACC and is the only other plausible school that could do so (although we all know NY doesn't care about Cuse like Cuse likes to think anyway)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remembers Delany's word's..."long haul addition's"I firmly believe Uconn's next!!!1 year ,a scandal there, don't matter in the long run.

Reaction Score
It is worse.

Much worse.

As bad as UConn football is, UConn actually had a .500 record or better against the top teams that just left, like Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. Rutgers basketball on the other hand has done nothing but finish at the bottom of the conference. UConn football actually finished first in the BE twice. Rutgers bball hasn't even managed the fourth quartile.

UConn has been touted by the AAU recently as having a new model for AAU schools.

Now you sound like me. You can expand that Rutgers explanation to football and all the olympic sports too.

I can remember the conversation I had with you where you thought Rutgers would have been a better addition to the ACC than Syracuse. I didn't think so then, and I don't now. I said that Temple would be just as good. I still think so.

I hope UConn gets into the AAU, and if UConn wants in the Big Ten an invite. I'd like to see UConn in the ACC myself. I regard the ACC as the best conference. But UConn should go where it will be the most happy.

Reactions: pj

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I hope UConn gets into the AAU, and if UConn wants in the Big Ten an invite. I'd like to see UConn in the ACC myself. I regard the ACC as the best conference. But UConn should go where it will be the most happy.
I think UConn won't have a choice in where they go and will take anywhere that will take us and is a P5 conference! Hopefully it turns into a possible option but all likelihood it will be whoever sends the lifeboat first.

Reaction Score
Found this on youtube.

Good Grief, he never even hit the rim the whole night (until the 4-point play at the end, but in fairness he was fouled on that one). Thank Goodness we scored a bunch ourselves.

Reaction Score

Actually, while Texas wouldn't budge, Larry Scott had 4 schools lined up to go to to the Pac-12 (I think it was OU, OSU, TAMU, and Tech) but got vetoed by the Pac-12 school presidents.

Goes to show that there's multiple parts to the puzzle and that the conference commissioner doesn't have free reign.

Reaction Score
Actually, while Texas wouldn't budge, Larry Scott had 4 schools lined up to go to to the Pac-12 (I think it was OU, OSU, TAMU, and Tech) but got vetoed by the Pac-12 school presidents.

Goes to show that there's multiple parts to the puzzle and that the conference commissioner doesn't have free reign.

A decision they'll regret if they ever end up having to add Boise St. and UNLV.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My guess is that the are 13 university presidents that have been tying up Delaney's phone line the last few weeks asking him wtf he was thinking inviting Rutgers.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
My guess is that the are 13 university presidents that have been tying up Delaney's phone line the last few weeks asking him wtf he was thinking inviting Rutgers.
Because RU has a 50.8 historical winning percentage, which is more wins than losses!

At least that's the only irrefutable argument RU fans ever come up with around here

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And their Rivals site always has a lot of members online. Rutgers has that going for it. What else?

Reaction Score

Delaney keeps repeating the number of TV sets that Rutgers' territory offers along with the annual recruiting trip to NJ (for football) and NYC (for basetball) that Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, etc. will get to take annually while he counts his millions that UConn does not have right now :mad:

Reaction Score
Now you sound like me. You can expand that Rutgers explanation to football and all the olympic sports too.

I can remember the conversation I had with you where you thought Rutgers would have been a better addition to the ACC than Syracuse. I didn't think so then, and I don't now. I said that Temple would be just as good. I still think so.

Congrats on UVa's great FB season and can't you ever sing a new song? I'm really getting bored with your RU obsession.Did'nt you ever hear "if you can't say something nice"...hold your tongue?I mean how often do I have to read your ridiculous opinion?We've all heard your opin many times over.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Delaney keeps repeating the number of TV sets that Rutgers' territory offers along with the annual recruiting trip to NJ (for football) and NYC (for basetball) that Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, etc. will get to take annually while he counts his millions that UConn does not have right now :mad:

And Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State President's response to that is "do we really need to pay these bozos $25MM a year to get on TV in New York? There wasn't a better way to do this?"

Reaction Score
Congrats Mr Conehead on your win over RU.If and when RU loses it don't sting as much to me if its UConn (especially now) as I don't really think RU deserves a bowl bid this yr anyway but USF I would'nt mind whooping and would'nt fight a bowl bid either Ha Ha!

Reaction Score
And Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State President's response to that is "do we really need to pay these bozos $25MM a year to get on TV in New York? There wasn't a better way to do this?"
Nelson,still looking to send UConn's FB team into the dumper? Stay cool nelsonmuntz its hoops season again !!

Reaction Score
Congrats Mr Conehead on your win over RU.If and when RU loses it don't sting as much to me if its UConn (especially now) as I don't really think RU deserves a bowl bid this yr anyway but USF I would'nt mind whooping and would'nt fight a bowl bid either Ha Ha!

It was a fun game to go too, except that I have to leave in the 3rd quarter as my son was not feeling well. Going to miss the UConn/RU games as they have always been competitive as a lot of players on each team were recruited by each other and there are a lot of Jersey kids attending UConn (only knew of 1 CT classmate who went to Rutgers), it’s a good, old fashioned rivalry game). While Rutgers has had a disappointing end to its football season, congrats on wining the Conference Realignment Super Bowl.

Reaction Score

I won’t call Rutgers all bozos as I know a lot of good, normal, local kids who go there and actually know the former AD. That said, I will call the current AD, Julie ‘Leather and Chains’ Hermann and the President Robert ‘Sergeant Schultz’ Barchi complete idiots. They could write an encyclopedia how to screw-up the biggest gift that Rutgers has ever received.

Reaction Score
It was a fun game to go too, except that I have to leave in the 3rd quarter as my son was not feeling well. Going to miss the UConn/RU games as they have always been competitive as a lot of players on each team were recruited by each other and there are a lot of Jersey kids attending UConn (only knew of 1 CT classmate who went to Rutgers), it’s a good, old fashioned rivalry game). While Rutgers has had a disappointing end to its football season, congrats on wining the Conference Realignment Super Bowl.
I would have liked it a WHOLE lot more if you guy's and us went into a P5 conference as a NYC lockdown move! I know your next but it would disappoint me if it was ACC as we should be playing yrly and rumor is somethings in the work's!! CR moves are usually hot in Nov/Dec but I've heard nothing in the wind this yr yet !?!

Reaction Score
Nelson's guess would have as usual been way off!! Delany could'nt invite anyone w/o the president's unanimous vote YES !!! What? Did he think this was done overnight?It's been in the work's for at least a decade and probably much longer !

Reaction Score
Nelson's guess would have as usual been way off!! Delany could'nt invite anyone w/o the president's unanimous vote YES !!! What? Did he think this was done overnight?It's been in the work's for at least a decade and probably much longer !

It doesn't have to be unanimous. Michigan, Ohio State and one other voted against PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom