Akok training with Coach Sal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Akok training with Coach Sal

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
“The Sarge” calzone with pineapple in it was always soooooo good at 3am.

Reaction Score
Akok working out with Sal this morning doing chest dumbells...

I think we are looking at 25lb weights. baby steps

Reaction Score
Akok working out with Sal this morning doing chest dumbells...

I think we are looking at 25lb weights. baby steps

Well u gotta figure it’s not like he has ur average frame. The guys height shot up so fast and so quick it’s hard keeping up the muscle to height ratio. If he stopped growing it should be easier for him to put on muscle. Muscle takes time to build when ur 7 feet tall and only 19 years old.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is he really 7' now!!!???
That's the big we've been crying for!!!!

Reaction Score
I hope Akok is good enough to start ahead of Sid who would be backing up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope Akok is good enough to start ahead of Sid who would be backing up.

I hope you mean Polley. Akok is a clear 4 who could play 5 in spots. Sid is a 3 who should never again be asked to play the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
I hope you mean Polley. Akok is a clear 4 who could play 5 in spots. Sid is a 3 who should never again be asked to play the 4 spot.

Are we sure that we want Sid playing the 3?

Reaction Score
He is playing there this year by default. He will have to improve his handle, shot and basketball IQ if he has a chance starting there next year. More likely he will be coming off the bench backing up Bouknight.
I don't think likely is the right word. Bouknight is a similar recruit in ranking as Wilson without the 2 years of d1 experience. I don't think you should ever expect a freshman to start unless they have 5 stars next to their name no matter how high some people are on the kid.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think likely is the right word. Bouknight is a similar recruit in ranking as Wilson without the 2 years of d1 experience. I don't think you should ever expect a freshman to start unless they have 5 stars next to their name no matter how high some people are on the kid.

Don't sweat rankings man. It's not an accurate reflection of where they are really at skillwise. Sid was ranked high due to supreme athleticism. Bouk looks like he has a more mature game. And he can shoot.

Also, Bouknight dropped in the rankings because he was hurt.

Sid has two years 'technically speaking', true. But he's really only 22 games (at 19min per) into his freshman year of on the court experience. And he came in raw. He didn't exactly have the best developmental experience prior either.

Remember, a guy like Jeremy Lamb (whom Bouk is compared to) was a 3 star for most of his recruitment. Only moved up late in the game. And he worked out pretty good as a frosh.

Reaction Score
Don't sweat rankings man. It's not an accurate reflection of where they are really at skillwise. Sid was ranked high due to supreme athleticism. Bouk looks like he has a more mature game. And he can shoot.

Also, Bouknight dropped in the rankings because he was hurt.

Sid has two years 'technically speaking', true. But he's really only 22 games (at 19min per) into his freshman year of on the court experience. And he came in raw. He didn't exactly have the best developmental experience prior either.

Remember, a guy like Jeremy Lamb (whom Bouk is compared to) was a 3 star for most of his recruitment. Only moved up late in the game. And he worked out pretty good as a frosh.
I'm more so commenting on the yard's tendency to over estimate the impact of freshman before they actually get on the court. 4 months ago Sid was supposed to be the best player in the team and now Bouknight is going to start over him? The "most likely" scenario is that a four star player will not immediately be a stsrter over players with experience.

Reaction Score
He is playing there this year by default. He will have to improve his handle, shot and basketball IQ if he has a chance starting there next year. More likely he will be coming off the bench backing up Bouknight.

I'm concerned about Sid. He looked terrible last game. He can't shoot, he is incredibly soft around the rim, he has weak hands, he can't dribble, and he can't pass. For being so athletic he isn't really that explosive. He has some moments but not much else.

Reaction Score
I'm more so commenting on the yard's tendency to over estimate the impact of freshman before they actually get on the court. 4 months ago Sid was supposed to be the best player in the team and now Bouknight is going to start over him? The "most likely" scenario is that a four star player will not immediately be a stsrter over players with experience.

I think its easier to rate a freshman and his expected impact once you see him play, see how he reacts to the game and the mental requirements. As "int" said Bouk can shoot and his IQ is supposed to be good already, that will play a major factor. Not saying Sid won't learn the game and the details required to be good, just always concerned when they haven't picked it up yet. Some kids are coached well enough some aren't. Some have the natural smarts/ability to get it immediately some don't. Seems we have some recruits coming in that understand the game, this is so important for them as freshman if they want to see the court.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Don't expect freshman to start, Even Ray Allen didn't start as a freshman.

Different time. Guys stayed longer. Lamb, Roscoe, and occasionally Brimah and Shabazz started on National Chamionship teams.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Sure, I get that. Valid. At the same time, we are supposedly recruiting flat out better players, and guys who are Hurley-type players on top.

I think you gotta take that into consideration as well.

Reaction Score
Don't expect freshman to start, Even Ray Allen didn't start as a freshman.
Ray Allen was behind way better players than our freshman will be next year. Also, although Ray didn't start, he played starters minutes when it counted. JC had the luxury of making a star freshman earn it behind a very good starting lineup. Hurley does not have that luxury with this group.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I expect Akok to start next year, and I give Bouknight a decent chance too. I think Gaffney will come off the bench.

Same. Simply a matter of roles. Akok fills an immediate hole/need. Bouknight has that length/ranginess combined with shooting we desperately need right now. If Sid makes a major leap in some areas, he could take that spot. Polley should come off the bench in a 3/4 backup capacity.

And Gaffney fills that backup PG hole behind Alterique. It's a nice mix.

Really need a banger down low behind Carlton.

Reaction Score
Same. Simply a matter of roles. Akok fills an immediate hole/need. Bouknight has that length/ranginess combined with shooting we desperately need right now. If Sid makes a major leap in some areas, he could take that spot. Polley should come off the bench in a 3/4 backup capacity.

Same :) Wilson if he puts in the work this summer on his game and his body may have the upper hand. But it could be interchangeable all season.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen was behind way better players than our freshman will be next year. Also, although Ray didn't start, he played starters minutes when it counted. JC had the luxury of making a star freshman earn it behind a very good starting lineup. Hurley does not have that luxury with this group.
Sid Wilson was just as good as Bouknight in HS if not better, but I’m of the opinion that good shooters adapt faster than slashers in college. Still, it’s hard to bank on most freshman being able to start from day one, so I don’t want to put too many expectations on Bouknight next year.

Reaction Score

If you could have Steve Enoch next year or Precious for next year which one would you take. Having Rs Senior Enoch and Josh Carlton assuming some additional development over the summer would be quite the two headed monster in the American.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you could have Steve Enoch next year or Precious for next year which one would you take. Having Rs Senior Enoch and Josh Carlton assuming some additional development over the summer would be quite the two headed monster in the American.

This is a difficult question as they play two different positions with varying need. Right now we desperately need somebody to back up Carlton, and Precious is not that. Need might outweigh overall impact just from a team building perspective.

But irrespective of need, for me personally? I'd rather have Precious. But that's for specific reasons; I can see how others might choose differently.

His athleticism/aggression would absolutely dominate the American. I think he'd be a superior defender of 2 to maybe 3 positions right from day one (certainly better than Steve). And I'm still not sold on Steve's consistency game in game out.

We'd get a less polished offensive player, to be sure, but one who's aggression/athleticism might make up for some of that deficit.

Also, there's the 5 star 'cache' factor, though I know that's not what we are talking about.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom