Akok training with Coach Sal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Akok training with Coach Sal

Reaction Score
That's great and all but if you want to put on strength and muscle you're doing the major compound movements and you're doing it with heavy weight, there is absolutely no way around that. There is a reason Okafor and Gordon were some of the last UConn players who got appreciably bigger and were built like grown men when they were here and got bigger as they got older. They did the big lifts and they lifted heavy.

I think you and the Sal truthers (me included) are getting to the same conclusion: it’s imperative to lift heavy and add strength, especially given the current state of our strength and conditioning

Difference seems to be the temporal element, i.e. whether Akok should immediately jump into a heavy lifting program or whether he should first pass through each phase of development that Sal outlines

I’m firmly in the camp that a few weeks (possibly months) of prep to ensure sound mobility and form greatly outweigh any gains from immediate heavy lifting, considering the high risk (not certainty) of injury in the latter

We have time. The kid will get to where we all want. Just need to trust the man who does this for a living

C

Chief00

Sure at the pro level and most college programs (even some of the stuff I've seen them do looks silly) but did you see some of the stuff the past UConn trainer had them doing? He had them lifting 5 lb. dumbells on exercise balls. You're not going to add strength/muscle with some of the stuff he seemed to preach.

The point is the majority of strength stuff is based on what it was always based on- compound lifts or based around them (variations, speed, add ons etc.) Our players have needed to add strength for many years now, I want to get back to this...
View attachment 39883

@superjohn knows his stuff!

C

Chief00

That's great and all but if you want to put on strength and muscle you're doing the major compound movements and you're doing it with heavy weight, there is absolutely no way around that. There is a reason Okafor and Gordon were some of the last UConn players who got appreciably bigger and were built like grown men when they were here and got bigger as they got older. They did the big lifts and they lifted heavy.

Chief can confirm that - those guys got in the weight room and did the heavy metal. Add Hilton to that list. Hilton was that skinny Freshman, who walked out of here as an NBA 1st rounder.
No one is advocating Akok start with super heavy lifts. But, heavy metal - heck yes!
As many of you know, Chief was never in to the Travis academic theories. You get stronger in a real man’s gym not a library.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Sargent peps buffalo chicken calzone was a staple of mine while at school and extremely underrated when compared to DP

Best take in BY. Buffy chick from Sargent Peps was the goat calzone. This topic needs its own thread.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has started a fistfight with Darrell Revis and P Diddy within a couple years of each other is my kind of S&C coach... and he trips Dolphins players as a bonus.

All kidding aside... Anyone can tell that area of the program has been upgraded substantially. Keep up the good work Sal! My 2 cents...

Reaction Score
Sure at the pro level and most college programs (even some of the stuff I've seen them do looks silly) but did you see some of the stuff the past UConn trainer had them doing? He had them lifting 5 lb. dumbells on exercise balls. You're not going to add strength/muscle with some of the stuff he seemed to preach.

The point is the majority of strength stuff is based on what it was always based on- compound lifts or based around them (variations, speed, add ons etc.) Our players have needed to add strength for many years now, I want to get back to this...
View attachment 39883
2 guard

Reaction Score
1000x this. Arguably the best late night food option in storrs.
Nah, their pepperoni bread. It was $4 when I was on campus, throw delivery dude a 5, and you have one of the densest caloric content : price ratio I’ve ever seen

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ted's Cheeseburg Grinder is the king of all Storrs munchies foods.
1550681631057.png

* No this isn't the Ted's version, but you get the idea.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seriously. Who was the last guard UConn had that looked like that? Seems every team we play has guys that look like that.
Rodney was somehow way bigger when he got here compared to when he left. I started close to that but looked like Current day CV when he left.

Reaction Score

This seems like as good of a place as any to tell a random Okafor weightlifting story. During my sophomore year, my buddy and I were lifting in the Fieldhouse when we saw Okafor walk in. It was the fall of his freshman year, so most people didn't know who he was. We immediately recognized him. Okafor was benching without a spotter (I have no idea how much), and he was struggling to get the bar up on his last rep. My friend quickly ran over and gave him a spot to help him finish. Okafor escaped uninjured, politely thanked my friend, and finished his workout. We always joked that he pretty much saved UConn basketball by helping Okafor, so you're welcome, UConn Nation.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wally's sucks
Wrong. Gotta order the right things.

The zuc wrap is out of this world. Chicken, mozzarella sticks, puds, chili, hot sauce all on a wrap. Revolutionary college grub.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Gotta order the right things.

The zuc wrap is out of this world. Chicken, mozzarella sticks, puds, chili, hot sauce all on a wrap. Revolutionary college grub.
The chicken bits are terrible and it's their staple item. Unacceptable imo.

Reaction Score
Q-Ring pizza from Teds!
Definitely on the Mt Rushmore of late night food. I think mine would have to be:

Sgt Peps Buffalo Chicken Calzone
Ted's BBQ Onion Ring Pizza
Wings Over Hanglider

The fourth spot is up for grabs, but it's hard to beat a cheese slice at peps for it's quality and simplicity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The chicken bits are terrible and it's their staple item. Unacceptable imo.
Their Chicken Bits were fire as of last spring. Chicken bits, puds, fries and that seasoning... are you kidding me? It does however taste terrible in the morning

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom