Akok training with Coach Sal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok training with Coach Sal

Reaction Score
What you want is to get stronger but remain quick. This is especially important in hoop. Guys that can double or triple jump for a board is the measuring stick.

Reaction Score
Sal is doing things the right way. You need to build the neurological maps / muscle memory at a slow pace and non-threatening weights in order to get the full effect. This is why tai chi is so effective as a martial art -- those slow, low-force movements are not training the muscles, they are teaching the brain what the muscles can do. With the brain allowing proper movement, and repetition having made it second nature, the weight lifting will be more effective. Going too quickly to high weights risks baking in bad habits that will limit progress and risk injury.

Why I think that Feldenkrais could help all of our athletes perform at a higher, more elegant level.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Throwing a 6'9 beanpole into Olympic lifts is a whole nother ball of wax than your average 5'7" weekend warrior. The leverage and force on the joints is all off.

I'm not sure why there is surprised at Sal relying on 'exercise science'. You CANNOT train in professional anything without that. It's literally the leading edge of physical fitness and performance. Anything less, and I'd be disappointed.
Most of it's nonsense, the science part comes into play on the food (also not too complicated) not really in the weight room. This isn't splitting the atom, it's fairly easy and the same principles apply from the 70's as they do today. So much of this stuff is overthought these days. You want to gain functional strength you do explosive compound movements and you eat like it's a job.

These exercises are fine for Akok just starting out but they are mostly just accessory and/or finishing exercises. They aren't really going to do anything for his strength. I imagine Sal will have him picking up weights ASAP. I never saw any full sessions with the former strength coach but from what I heard he did seem too wrapped up in the "science" part. I suspect Alosi is a lot better for us.

Reaction Score
He's not struggling. He's doing them purposefully slowly, as you should. It's about form over speed every time.
Again this is fine for Akok just starting out but for the most part I take explosive lifting over everything.

Reaction Score
Most of it's nonsense, the science part comes into play on the food (also not too complicated) not really in the weight room. This isn't splitting the atom, it's fairly easy and the same principles apply from the 70's as they do today. So much of this stuff is overthought these days. You want to gain functional strength you do explosive compound movements and you eat like it's a job.

These exercises are fine for Akok just starting out but they are mostly just accessory and/or finishing exercises. They aren't really going to do anything for his strength. I imagine Sal will have him picking up weights ASAP. I never saw any full sessions with the former strength coach but from what I heard he did seem too wrapped up in the "science" part. I suspect Alosi is a lot better for us.

What qualifies you to make this statement?

C

Chief00

If you build muscle on a bad base, as an athlete, you're in trouble. The mobility and coordination of joints/muscles/core etc is everything. I'm sure that's what Sal's getting at.
Respectfully, is that really been our problem, building too much muscle on a bad base?
Let’s focus on getting stronger and we can go from there.

Reaction Score
What qualifies you to make this statement?
Training for most of my life, reading and listening to a lot of the nonsense that gets taught. What works is mostly gained through trial and error over the years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Respectfully, is that really been our problem, building too much muscle on a bad base?
Let’s focus on getting stronger and we can go from there.

No, we skipped the building muscle part. But you need the base, or it's injury city.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The higher up the performance chain you go, the less that's probably true.

Look, pro teams don't spend billions (collectively) on this stuff because it's a pipe dream.

There's a reason guys in the NFL, NBA etc are so much stronger, faster, and athletically superior than they were in the past. And it's not just nutrition (thought that's certainly a piece). It's because the knowledge and fining tuning of the process in exercise science has progressed significantly.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Struggling on pushups.....check.
Painfully thin...check.
You dredging for "likes"......check.

Boneyard training graduates all agree he needs major development, so why can't you?

At least you aren’t baselessly and illogically speculating about his emotional health anymore. Baby steps!

Reaction Score
The higher up the performance chain you go, the less that's probably true.

Look, pro teams don't spend billions (collectively) on this stuff because it's a pipe dream.

There's a reason guys in the NFL, NBA etc are so much stronger, faster, and athletically superior than they were in the past. And it's not just nutrition (thought that's certainly a piece). It's because the knowledge and fining tuning of the process in exercise science has progressed significantly.
Sure at the pro level and most college programs (even some of the stuff I've seen them do looks silly) but did you see some of the stuff the past UConn trainer had them doing? He had them lifting 5 lb. dumbells on exercise balls. You're not going to add strength/muscle with some of the stuff he seemed to preach.

The point is the majority of strength stuff is based on what it was always based on- compound lifts or based around them (variations, speed, add ons etc.) Our players have needed to add strength for many years now, I want to get back to this...
080627_Gordon.widec_display_image.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sure at the pro level and most college programs (even some of the stuff I've seen them do looks silly) but did you see some of the stuff the past UConn trainer had them doing? He had them lifting 5 lb. dumbells on exercise balls. You're not going to add strength/muscle with some of the stuff he seemed to preach.

The point is the majority of strength stuff is based on what it was always based on- compound lifts or based around them (variations, speed, add ons etc.) Our players have needed to add strength for many years now, I want to get back to this...
View attachment 39883

Obviously the need to throw around serious weight. I don't think anyone other than Travis is arguing otherwise. Just that how they go about getting there has been refined over time.

Reaction Score
Hes lifting. Its not in the video because its very low weights currently.

Its about developing MOBILITY for heavy lifts, much more than core strength.

Basketball players are more strong and athletic than ever. Look at the Bird/Magic pics from back in the day. Compare that to Giannis/Harden (and hardens doughy by nba standards!!) That's because of strength and conditioning advances.
Karl Malone is way stronger than any player currently in the NBA. I think a lot of the guys from the 80's would have tossed around the current players like rag dolls. Barkley, Kevin Willis, Rick Mahorn, David Robinson, Oakley, Maurice Lucas etc.

Reaction Score

Disagree. There is a different level to kinesiology and exercise science that is more academic and rigorous than, say, some bastardized retelling on T-Nation or whatever. In basketball more than arguably any sport, there is so much variation in positions and sizes and style of play that you really need a customized, elite, truly optimizing training plan. Every muscle in the body serves a purpose, and these guys are experts at looking at that structure-function relationship and exploiting it to best serve the player and the team.

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon did not look like that while at UConn.
Exactly. I remember how shocked I was when I saw Ben with the Bulls. He must have put on 20 pounds of muscle

Reaction Score
Disagree. There is a different level to kinesiology and exercise science that is more academic and rigorous than, say, some bastardized retelling on T-Nation or whatever. In basketball more than arguably any sport, there is so much variation in positions and sizes and style of play that you really need a customized, elite, truly optimizing training plan. Every muscle in the body serves a purpose, and these guys are experts at looking at that structure-function relationship and exploiting it to best serve the player and the team.
That's great and all but if you want to put on strength and muscle you're doing the major compound movements and you're doing it with heavy weight, there is absolutely no way around that. There is a reason Okafor and Gordon were some of the last UConn players who got appreciably bigger and were built like grown men when they were here and got bigger as they got older. They did the big lifts and they lifted heavy.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Didn't realize we were using the solution as game balls back then. I like them way better than the weird nike ones with the dots on them were using now.
Blue jersey. We’re away team and using opponents home ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom