Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Folks - I just had to delete a post about freeing up a scholarship.

You can say, 'Maybe a scholarship will free up....'

You CANNOT say 'We don't need player X. Just get rid of him.'

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Honestly just completely entertained by this whole situation. Who knows what will happen at this point. I agree we won't just remove someone from scholarship, however adding a talent like Akok would be great. I'm sure they'll find a way to get it done if he does choose to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
If you are a casual fan and are still confused or angry, please stop reading this thread here - Chief can’t break it down any more simply.

For those who want more nuance, please continue reading:
- Was anyone surprised that the Pomfret coach said he hadn’t talked to the UConn coaches? If the UConn coaches had no clue what was going on - wouldn’t they be calling him in panic? Instead, crickets.
- Just to be clear, don’t assume the information Chief has is from the UConn coaching staff - it’s not.
- The most interesting information is coming from other parties involved in Akok’s recruitment.
- Also, Chief has taken no position regarding the SATs. Other than to generically say it’s very common for kids to take them more than once today.
Friend of mine has a daughter who is going to play field hockey in college next year. She is very good - not good enough to play at the UConn field hockey level, but think next level D1 level. She took the SATs probably 5 times. Couldn’t break 1000 even though her GPA is a 3.4 from a solid suburban HS. Left the very academic D1 programs that really wanted her off the table (like Bucknell and Lehigh).
So many talented HS athletes don’t qualify outnof the gates. This may be his situation.
QUOTE="Mots010, post: 2930739, member: 255"]Why didn’t akok enroll at college this fall at his age?[/QUOTE]

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's coming on board as a chef, someone in the kitchen will realize he has crazy math skills & he'll get a full academic ride. Soon after coach will notice him in hallway and ask him to stop by the gym and the rest will be history.....there are completely legit ways around the scholarship thing ;)
Easiest way would be for him to receive financial aid no? In state kid, Feds give what $7,500 potentially, and he takes out a loan for the remainder. No need to sneak him in through the kitchen. He can walk right through the front door.

Reaction Score
You don’t know his SAT history. The kid is from the Sudan - give him a break. Why would you expect him to be an expert at this process?
I don't blame him at all. He's clearly getting bad advice. I would hope that Putnam has guidance counselors that would have recommended taking the SAT's as many times as possible

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't blame him at all. He's clearly getting bad advice. I would hope that Putnam has guidance counselors that would have recommended taking the SAT's as many times as possible
Just curious, why is that a good thing? Familiarity with the test? Isn't there some kind of discounting your score if you take too often?

Reaction Score
Just curious, why is that a good thing? Familiarity with the test? Isn't there some kind of discounting your score if you take too often?
It’s not like he’s trying to apply to a school like a normal student. He just needs to reach a certain score. Doesn’t matter if he does it first shot or fifth. There’s no discounting as long as he gets it.

Would be a different story for you or I when a school sees our test history when we apply with the general population.

Reaction Score

Every counselor/adviser will tell you to take it at least twice. Most students don't take it more than 3 times because at that point, you're unlikely to score any better (although you aren't penalized if you choose to).

Reaction Score
no, there are only benefits. you get to take the highest score on each section and add them together. So if you get a 500 on the reading and 400 on math, then retake it and get 400 on the reading and 500 on math, you get to submit a 500 reading/500 math

Reaction Score
It gives him more chances to get the score he needs. Not sure if this is still a thing, but you used to be able to "super-score" your SAT's. So in other words you could take it multiple times and compile your best scores in each section (math / reading etc..) for the greatest score.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks all. Been a while since I dealt with this and seems like there is much more subtly.

Reaction Score
Still can but the school does see your test history.

However when I applied to schools in 2006 I took it twice and took my math from one exam and English from another and combined.

Still applies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Isn't there some kind of discounting your score if you take too often?

My guess is that this applies far more to "gen. pop" admissions than athletes trying to qualify.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, but if he declares for the draft to test the waters in the spring which is almost a guarantee, people here will lose their minds lol
But he should. Any kid that can should go and get feedback

Reaction Score
Most schools super score now. Doesn't matter how many times you take test. They take your best score from each section and total it up.

Reaction Score
What I wonder is if he was in danger of failing a class or two and it was going to mess up his GPA, therefore making him have to get an even higher SAT score? By quitting before the end of the semester, he nullifies those grades...
just a theory.
The only reason to do a PG year would be to boost your GPA and get a better crack at the SATs.
If you knew the GPA was going to be an issue, you would end that immediately.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
no, there are only benefits. you get to take the highest score on each section and add them together. So if you get a 500 on the reading and 400 on math, then retake it and get 400 on the reading and 500 on math, you get to submit a 500 reading/500 math

Holy crap, really? When did that come about? Old man yelling at clouds over here.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Is it just me or has UConn been involved in an excessive amount of odd recruit/transfer scenarios over the past few years?

-Hamidou Diallo
-Diamond Stone
-Sid Wilson
-Kasongo
-Zach Brown
-MAL

Nothing ever comes easy or is very straight forward.

Add Akok to the list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom