Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's coming on board as a chef, someone in the kitchen will realize he has crazy math skills & he'll get a full academic ride. Soon after coach will notice him in hallway and ask him to stop by the gym and the rest will be history.....there are completely legit ways around the scholarship thing ;)
If he comes as a short order cook we can get Chiefs chefs briefs! :cool:

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Unless they changed the rule, he can't come unless there is a scholarship free. If an athlete was recruited by the school, he counts against the scholarship limit even if he's not receiving a scholarship.[/QUOT

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Drummond came here as a walk-on or did Bradley give up his scholarship?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Just to throw this in in regards to SAT debate: EVERY high school junior in public school in CT takes the SATS at least once, free of charge. (SATs replaced CAPT testing beginning in 2017).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unless they changed the rule, he can't come unless there is a scholarship free. If an athlete was recruited by the school, he counts against the scholarship limit even if he's not receiving a scholarship.

Drummond came at the last minute, paid his own way, and played. We were at the limit iirc. Michael Bradley reportedly offered up his scholarship to Drummond, but Andre declined.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Drummond came here as a walk-on or did Bradley give up his scholarship?
Bradley did not give his up. can't remember the official language that was used as to how drummond became a "walk on"

Reaction Score
Just to throw this in in regards to SAT debate: EVERY high school junior in public school in CT takes the SATS at least once, free of charge. (SATs replaced CAPT testing beginning in 2017).
NJ actually now requires their version of standardized tests to graduate. It’s sort of weird. It would be better if it was the SAT or ACT.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Haha same, unless you are just mocking me, then bite me. ;)

No I'm yelling at the clouds. And I think I've a legit gripe. I mean, in my day....

pj

Reaction Score
Drummond-Bradley was a peculiar situation. UConn had a reduced scholarship number due to a self-imposed punishment in response to NCAA sanctions, and only 10 scholarship athletes. Bradley was able to give up his scholarship for a spot to Drummond due to his having been on the team the prior year, and he was eligible for a full aid package. See Andre Drummond Officially On UConn Roster; Michael Bradley Gives Up Scholarship. However, the team finagled a way to get an 11th scholarship, so in the end Bradley didn't have to give up his scholarship to make room for Drummond.

Whatever happened then, the team this year is at 13 and there's no way they'll get a 14th, so they can't take Akok Akok unless someone on the team gives up his scholarship. Doubt that will happen.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Absolutely FALSE! ACTs are better for kids who are more math/science inclined and SATs more reading/writing inclined. All schools take both, so lets all stick to facts and stop making things up.

Lock this thread!
The University of Alabama would not accept my SAT score but insisted on ACT

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m so glad we will use this thread to resolve the timeless battle of SAT vs ACT.

Akok is coming as a regular student on financial aid who will try out for the team. Just my guess, I have no inside info. I think for a long time he didn’t know what he wanted and now suddenly he does. One 1/2 semster on student aid/loans will be easy to carry in the long run. Hopefully he has taken the PSAT a few times with no issues.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Drummond could repay one year of in-state intuition with about .5 % of his rookie salary.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This could be our anti Diallo situation. Akok thought it would be fine to enroll next year but after watching the team in action and Hurley chest bumping Jalen at MSG, he realized that waiting is a mistake. So he's accelerating his timeline and enrolling at UConn asap.

And @TyroneShoo is a Nova troll who, like the Cuse fans, thought UConn was dead and buried. He's trying to spin things negatively because he knows Hurley will be getting northeast talent to UConn.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Drummond-Bradley was a peculiar situation. UConn had a reduced scholarship number due to a self-imposed punishment in response to NCAA sanctions, and only 10 scholarship athletes. Bradley was able to give up his scholarship for a spot to Drummond due to his having been on the team the prior year, and he was eligible for a full aid package. See Andre Drummond Officially On UConn Roster; Michael Bradley Gives Up Scholarship. However, the team finagled a way to get an 11th scholarship, so in the end Bradley didn't have to give up his scholarship to make room for Drummond.

Whatever happened then, the team this year is at 13 and there's no way they'll get a 14th, so they can't take Akok Akok unless someone on the team gives up his scholarship. Doubt that will happen.

That article is based on false information. Andre did not get a scholarship and Bradley did not give up his. Chief knows a little about this situation.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Was hoping for 20 pages but I need to punch out. Have fun with whats left of this one until news happens again.

Reaction Score
The ACTs are just plain easier because they cater to southern schools with worse education

Nonsense. It depends on the kid and their focus. To say they are easier and focused on Southern kids does four things that are STUPID.

1.) It assumes kids in southern states are not as smart as kids in northern states. This sort of seems racist but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
2.) Using the map above it ignores the dominant population concentrations in Florida, Georgia, Texas and California that probably make up 70% of southern students who are actually taking SATs not ACTs
3.) It ignores all the kids in the midwest/mountain states taking the ACTs.
4.) It ignores the FACT that Colleges/Universities do not discriminate between the two tests. SO if it really easier, kids who take the SAT are really making a bad decision.

My son is an Honors student at St Peters Prep in Jersey City, a varsity rugby player, and a Tier 1 Hockey player. He chose to take the ACTs because of his focus on math and science and has his choice of several top Universities. I would say the decision among his friends is split about 50/50.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. It depends on the kid and their focus. To say they are easier and focused on Southern kids does four things that are STUPID.

1.) It assumes kids in southern states are not as smart as kids in northern states. This sort of seems racist but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
2.) Using the map above it ignores the dominant population concentrations in Florida, Georgia, Texas and California that probably make up 70% of southern students who are actually taking SATs not ACTs
3.) It ignores all the kids in the midwest/mountain states taking the ACTs.
4.) It ignores the FACT that Colleges/Universities do not discriminate between the two tests. SO if it really easier, kids who take the SAT are really making a bad decision.

My son is an Honors student at St Peters Prep in Jersey City, a varsity rugby player, and a Tier 1 Hockey player. He chose to take the ACTs because of his focus on math and science and has his choice of several top Universities. I would say the decision among his friends is split about 50/50.

Insinuating that posters here are racist because they don't agree with you is far more STUPID than any of your 4 points.

Eat a Snickers.

Reaction Score
That article is based on false information. Andre did not get a scholarship and Bradley did not give up his. Chief knows a little about this situation.
Bradley likely qualified for full financial aid because he was an orphan, was in a group home, and and played a full year with the requisite GPA. The schoo didn’t violate the rules and was able to give him walk on status and financial aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom