Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weird quote from Amore since it's contradictory (not going to predict, predicts anyway) and goes against those most in know on recruiting (Rivals, 247):

All UConn’s 13 scholarships are taken right now. Maybe Akok intends to pick a school on his list of five, or someone else entirely, or he could change his mind and go to another prep school. Maybe he tries to go pro in the spring. No point predicting here, but his road does not seem to be leading to Storrs.

Five takeaways from a routine win on a newsy day for the UConn men

Reaction Score
Weird quote from Amore since it's contradictory (not going to predict, predicts anyway) and goes against those most in know on recruiting (Rivals, 247):

All UConn’s 13 scholarships are taken right now. Maybe Akok intends to pick a school on his list of five, or someone else entirely, or he could change his mind and go to another prep school. Maybe he tries to go pro in the spring. No point predicting here, but his road does not seem to be leading to Storrs.

That's what you call a lazy conclusion.

Reaction Score

Not to be mean but Amore probably knows less than most people here do.

Reaction Score
What I wonder is if he was in danger of failing a class or two and it was going to mess up his GPA, therefore making him have to get an even higher SAT score? By quitting before the end of the semester, he nullifies those grades...
just a theory.
The only reason to do a PG year would be to boost your GPA and get a better crack at the SATs.
If you knew the GPA was going to be an issue, you would end that immediately.
Kids do post grad years all the time before going to college. Jalen Adams did the same thing at Brewster

C

Chief00

People who are focused on current available scholarships are focused on the wrong thing.

Reaction Score
I dunno. This whole thing is so screwy.

I just don’t see how it’s working out for him to come here and I think people are going through ridiculous levels of mental gymnastics to prove otherwise. I get it, the whole thing seems weird based on insider takes and him showing up as a non scholarship member of the cheerleading team the past few weeks, but these kids, guys. This stuff happens a lot.

I’ve also had my fill of PSA dinks. At this point, if he comes - great; is he doesn’t I’m almost totally agnostic at this point.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

I'm inclined to believe that if Akok wants to come here for the spring semester, both parties can and will find a way to make it happen.

I'm also inclined to believe that Amore knows much more than I do.

But I could be wrong on both accounts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Can someone explain how he comes to Storrs in January unless he pays his own way for a semester? If he does pay his own for a semester and play (like Drummond) that certainly is not in the "spirit" of the 13 schollie limit. I personally don't like the idea of him playing this year under that scenario only in 2019-2020 with a schollie.

Reaction Score
Kids do post grad years all the time before going to college. Jalen Adams did the same thing at Brewster
Agreeed. But usually you do it to improve your qualifications or to grow more. If you’re going to hurt yourself, why would you continue it?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain how he comes to Storrs in January unless he pays his own way for a semester? If he does pay his own for a semester (like Drummond) that certainly is not in the "spirit" of the 13 schollie limit. I'm all for UConn making a statement this year but not if it means future issues.

That makes no sense. If he pays his own way, he pays his own way. That is 100% legitimate. No one should have ANY problem with that.

If someone gets booted off the team to make room for him, I'd understand, but be disappointed.

Reaction Score
That makes no sense. If he pays his own way, he pays his own way. That is 100% legitimate. No one should have ANY problem with that.

If someone gets booted off the team to make room for him, I'd understand, but be disappointed.
Really, a top 40 prospect paying his own way seems legit? You don't think Drummond paying his own way wasn't fuel for the NCAA when they came after us before. I'm all for UConn doing damage in the tourney this year but not at the expense of future program health. If the NCAA gives us a blessing then fine otherwise seems troublesome.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain how he comes to Storrs in January unless he pays his own way for a semester? If he does pay his own for a semester and play (like Drummond) that certainly is not in the "spirit" of the 13 schollie limit. I personally don't like the idea of him playing this year under that scenario only in 2019-2020 with a schollie.
896EC2EE-0B08-4F64-ABDC-9A5EE47BB924.jpeg

Reaction Score
Really, a top 40 prospect paying his own way seems legit? You don't think Drummond paying his own way wasn't fuel for the NCAA when they came after us before. I'm all for UConn doing damage in the tourney this year but not at the expense of future program health. If the NCAA gives us a blessing then fine otherwise seems troublesome.

If his family is struggling financially like someone here has indicated, he'd probably earn quite a bit of financial aid. Then there are student loans for the remaining amount, most of which you don't have to repay until you graduate or leave school.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Is it just me or has UConn been involved in an excessive amount of odd recruit/transfer scenarios over the past few years?

-Hamidou Diallo
-Diamond Stone
-Sid Wilson
-Kasongo
-Zach Brown
-MAL

Nothing ever comes easy or is very straight forward.

Add Akok to the list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Not just the past few years. Calhoun would do just about anything to bring in top tier talent.

Reaction Score
Can we not talk about his families hypothetical financial situation and just wait for an update which will probably come sooner than later?

College is expensive. Most students need financial aid (including myself). No shame in that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Rankings aside, It's not really all that uncommon. On the list of things Emmert the NCAA was interested in, Drummond was pretty damn low on the totem poll. I don't think it provided any fuel whatsoever.

And as far as the "spirit" of the 13 scholarship limit, that's totally bupkiss. There is no 'spirit'. You take whomever you can get.

Reaction Score

Yes. It does seem legit. Take out a loan, pay it off his first check overseas.

it was of minimal concern to the ncaa. Ollie providing impermissible benefits was.

There are reasons to be concerned the the akok recruitment. Paying his own tuition is not one of them.

Reaction Score

Are we under investigation? Playing games like with Drummond will not look good. We are not Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom