Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Are you saying this statement/quote from the Evans article may not be factual?

"Since I have already graduated high school, it makes sense at this point that I study at home for the SAT, which I am taking for the first time on December 1st," Akok said.

I don’t know his SAT history nor do you. SAT history is private between student and selected schools - he can say whatever he wants to since it’s none of our business. We also don’t know his PSAT or ACT history.
However, none of this should come as a surprise to anyone seriously recruiting him.

Reaction Score
Really really really hoping that Akok saw himself in the UConn offense/defense & saw the void that he could fill on this team. Half a semester out of pocket to showcase his fit could be a small price to pay for a potentially good roi

Reaction Score
The ACT is much more of a Southern thing.
I don’t think it’s a Southern thing. I took it as well as the SAT because some of the schools I applied to required both. Many small LACs require both.

Reaction Score
The ACT is much more of a Southern thing.

Absolutely FALSE! ACTs are better for kids who are more math/science inclined and SATs more reading/writing inclined. All schools take both, so lets all stick to facts and stop making things up.

Lock this thread!

Reaction Score
Absolutely FALSE! ACTs are better for kids who are more math/science inclined and SATs more reading/writing inclined. All schools take both, so lets all stick to facts and stop making things up.

Lock this thread!

800px-SAT-ACT-Preference-Map.svg.png

pj

Reaction Score
Really really really hoping that Akok saw himself in the UConn offense/defense & saw the void that he could fill on this team. Half a semester out of pocket to showcase his fit could be a small price to pay for a potentially good roi

Unless they changed the rule, he can't come unless there is a scholarship free. If an athlete was recruited by the school, he counts against the scholarship limit even if he's not receiving a scholarship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless they changed the rule, he can't come unless there is a scholarship free. If an athlete was recruited by the school, he counts against the scholarship limit even if he's not receiving a scholarship.
1543182264209.png

I think this is correct.

Reaction Score
Well then lock this thread so I can drink my sorrows away

Reaction Score
If the yokels down south had to take the SAT most of them wouldn’t have gotten into college.

Reaction Score
Every counselor/adviser will tell you to take it at least twice. Most students don't take it more than 3 times because at that point, you're unlikely to score any better (although you aren't penalized if you choose to).
Not to pile on with this discussion but I have a son (currently in college) who took the SAT more than once and improved a lot from the 1st time to the 2nd time only because he practiced on his own by taking sample SAT tests. Familiarity with the test and the type of questions asked absolutely helps your score. Which is why a lot of smaller schools are now test optional. They don't think the SAT or ACT scores are the best indicator of a student's intelligence or their ability to succeed in college.

Reaction Score

Andre Drummond didn't count against UConn.

Does your rule only apply to multisport athletes with a scholarship in another sport?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not to pile on with this discussion but I have a son (currently in college) who took the SAT more than once and improved a lot from the 1st time to the 2nd time only because he practiced on his own by taking sample SAT tests. Familiarity with the test and the type of questions asked absolutely helps your score. Which is why a lot of smaller schools are now test optional. They don't think the SAT or ACT scores are the best indicator of a student's intelligence or their ability to succeed in college.

This is what the schools have said. But internally the admissions committees put a heavy weight on them.

I believe the assumption is that, among the group of students who will be paying a great percentage of the tuition, almost all of them will have had some testing/coaching. Very very few middle class students attend those schools. Then there is the group at the bottom of the economic demographic. With this group, there is greater uncertainty as to whether a student will have been coached, etc.

Reaction Score
Also because the SAT tends to favor students who have parents with more money... that’s another reason why many schools are no longer requiring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom