A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When KML went down with the elbow injury against Stanford earlier this year, this is what the starting 5 looked like in the next 2 games when they handily beat Maryland and Penn State in road games.
recruit rank as per ESPN
Hartley #14
Jefferson #2
Dolson #39
Stokes #42
Stewart #1

What was it that enabled UCONN to win those 2 road games against 2 highly ranked teams ?
Certainly they had a talented team but not overwhelmingly so. That leaves coaching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah. That was a pretty easy answer.

I saw a graphic last night during Mickey D's game (current rosters) with most prep All-Americans
UCONN -8
Next Highest (I think) Notre Dame- 4
Again I ask how great does coaching have to be when you continuously pull the best talent, especially in the Women's game??

You'e not asking the right question. You shoud be asking why is he and little old UCONN getting so many of the all-americans?

Reaction Score
OMG, does anyone even care anymore? Is she going to have an hour ESPN show like Lebron did when he decided to play South Beach? She will play wherever she decides to play at.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
BkY0gtSCYAAVg0z.jpg

Full article here.

Reaction Score
"South Carolina-bound A’Ja Wilson (Hopkins, S.C.) stole the ball, but future Gamecocks teammate Jatarie White (Charlotte, N.C.) missed the shot"

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Last sentence in article:

"Six-four wing A'ja Wilson of Heathwood Hall Episcopal School, Hopkins, S.C., who remains undecided with respect to her college plans, competed in the dunk contest, but was unable to score and did not progress to the final round."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OMG, does anyone even care anymore? Is she going to have an hour ESPN show like Lebron did when he decided to play South Beach? She will play wherever she decides to play at.
Well, given the number of posts in this thread, and the number of people who have viewed it, I'd say yes. UCONN is on the verge of a run of domination that has never been seen before. In landing KML, and then Tuck, Stewie, and Jefferson, UCONN has a pair of classes with 4 kids who are legitimately the best at their positions in the nation (not quite for Tuck), and who are in the top 5 in their classes. UCONN already has Nurse and Williams on board. Again, big "if's" with regards to health, but Williams is easily a top 10 kid, and possibly top 5, and Nurse IMHO is one of the top 5 kids in her class as well, even though she's from Canada and ranked right around 10 by everyone besides ESPN.

Landing Wilson would give them 6 kids on the team next year who are legit top 5 in their respective classes. The year after that, KML will be graduated, but IF UCONN lands Samuelson and Durr, that gives them 7 kids top 5, and literally 5 kids who were either 1 or 2 in their classes. That's just sick, and like I said, unprecedented in the possibilities of a true dynasty that already goes back 6 years (our 7th final 4 in a row), and with 3 out of the last 5 NC's (4 out of 6 if they win this year), it would set UCONN up for a run that has simply never been seen.

Even if they don't get Wilson, the rest of the talent is so spread out that while teams like SC, Stanford, Duke, Maryland, UNC, Tennessee, Baylor, Louisville, and a few others could legitimately make final 4 runs, UCONN would be the undisputed favorites in every season for the next 4-5. Now I'm not trying to mess with the mojo, put the cart before the horse, or any other analogy, but what I just said above is a big reason why Wilson is such a big deal.

If she chooses SC, they suddenly become a contender for a final 4. NOT really a contender for a NC. Let's be honest - Maya Moore only won 2 NC's at UCONN and as it turns out, she is probably close to the best all around player in the world right now. If we'd landed Elena, it's likely Maya would have won at least 1 more, but with all the talent she was surrounded by, she only won 2. For SC fans to think they have a legit shot at an actual NC, they need to get past UCONN and ND and no matter how nice SC's run was this year, Wilson does not make them better than UCONN or ND...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree. And look at Baylor...with Griner and Sims, they only won ONE national championship. So it takes more than just one or two great players, it takes a whole team. (Obviously have some superstars helps a little bit).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
like the bent post....IAC

In any case

got me on that one ..had to look that one up. what I was trying to say ,was I was misquoted from the Tenn forum for which I do post somewhat.as you know there is a lot of Uconn fans there,Sometimes it's some what of a battle,like a miney war,Now to clear things up a bit.I said it there and said it here that I didn"t think Aja would come to Connecticut. IMO because she doesn"t want to play post and therefore she could warm the bench,Geno way or the road, IMO Tenn would start her. Now I think that didn't go well with the aim. here as this type of post , others would say Conn. fans need to be in the best of light, ok so when I go on Tenn board there is no CLE802A>>>>

I hope this clears this up,, new here,gona take me sometime to know you all
Ummm, not to be a grammar nazi, but after your creative use of capitals, commas, periods, spacing, apostrophes, spelling, etc. to ask if this clears this up? No, not really.

Reaction Score

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
It really would be more of a surprise if she chose UCONN. Would love to get her but I've resigned myself to congratulating the Game c o c k s in the next few weeks...

Why? Is there evidence of this or are you just making assumptions, or have a 'gut' feeling?

I haven't been following this saga, so have no opinion. However, UConn would seem to be the logical place for her -- assuming the former still is interested -- based on the few comments I've seen from her about what her criteria are. There may be factors she has not mentioned, or perhaps certain factors that carry more weight for her, so ...

Reaction Score
Also from the article

UCLA-bound Mikayla Cowling (Benicia, Calif.) 10 points, four rebounds and two steals

Cowling is going to Cal, it's just a typo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah. That was a pretty easy answer.

I saw a graphic last night during Mickey D's game (current rosters) with most prep All-Americans
UCONN -8
Next Highest (I think) Notre Dame- 4
Again I ask how great does coaching have to be when you continuously pull the best talent, especially in the Women's game??
Well let's take a look at that.
McD AA's

UCONN - 8 (Dolson, Hartley, KML, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck)
Rutgers - 4 (Canty, Laney, Copper, Scaife)
Louisville - 2 (Hammond, Smith) (notice no Schimmel)
Tennessee - 6 (Simmons, Burdick, Massengale, Graves, Russell, Reynolds)
Kentucky - 5 (Walker, O'Neill, Thompson, Harper, Epps)
Notre Dame - 5 (McBride, Loyd, Mabrey, Reimer, Allen)
Duke - 9 (Gray, Peters, Jackson, Williams, Jones, Greenwell, Chidom, Henson, Cooper)
Maryland - 3 (Mincy, Howard, Brown) (notice doesn't include Thomas)
UNC - 4 (McDaniel, DeShields, Washington, Mavunga) (Gray probably should have been)
Baylor - 4 (Sims, Johnson, Prince, Small)
Stanford - 4 (Ogwumike, BSamuelson, McCall, Johnson)

Also Per Hoopgurlz, UCONN has had one #1 recruiting class the last 4 years. (which would include Fresh-Seniors now)
2010 - 2013
UCONN - #3, #2, #1, >20
Duke - #1, #4, #7, #2
Tennessee - #14, #1, #5, #3
Notre Dame - #8, #24, #4, #4
Stanford - #4, #6, #23, #6

So I'd say, getting good players sure helps. But to answer your question, yea, coaching matters.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For A'ja I hope the decision is UConn (though I declared my Ouija Board said USC a while back) for reasons other than basketball. It has to do with stepping out of your cultural comfort zone and taking on a bit of a different cultural world before you are too set in your ways. The basketball stuff should point to UConn too, but for the sake of the whole human being it should be UConn too.

HGN

Reaction Score
Now hold on gentlemen, hold on..........Not so fast. I seem to remember an interview conducted with A'ja on the sideline during the MCDonalds Game when she said that she was looking for a place that she felt comfortable and where she got along well with the coaches. She also stated that it was the little things that she was focusing on and where her skills could be fully developed by coaches so that she could play at the next level (WNBA). And if thats the case , and I have no reason not to believe it is , that speaks loud for UConn. No other coaching staff left in her final four can say they have developed more players for the Next Level than UConn.
Geno has a proven track record. UConn has a proven track record. UT and UNC have new coaches with NO track record. And USC is just getting started in the right direction with a limited success record over the past 6 seasons. So UConn has EVERYTHING A'ja is looking for if her interview is to be believed................And I have no reason to not believe her.

She may have her mind already made up one way or the other but don't discount UConn just yet.

Reaction Score
Well, given the number of posts in this thread, and the number of people who have viewed it, I'd say yes. UCONN is on the verge of a run of domination that has never been seen before. In landing KML, and then Tuck, Stewie, and Jefferson, UCONN has a pair of classes with 4 kids who are legitimately the best at their positions in the nation (not quite for Tuck), and who are in the top 5 in their classes. UCONN already has Nurse and Williams on board. Again, big "if's" with regards to health, but Williams is easily a top 10 kid, and possibly top 5, and Nurse IMHO is one of the top 5 kids in her class as well, even though she's from Canada and ranked right around 10 by everyone besides ESPN.

Landing Wilson would give them 6 kids on the team next year who are legit top 5 in their respective classes. The year after that, KML will be graduated, but IF UCONN lands Samuelson and Durr, that gives them 7 kids top 5, and literally 5 kids who were either 1 or 2 in their classes. That's just sick, and like I said, unprecedented in the possibilities of a true dynasty that already goes back 6 years (our 7th final 4 in a row), and with 3 out of the last 5 NC's (4 out of 6 if they win this year), it would set UCONN up for a run that has simply never been seen.

Even if they don't get Wilson, the rest of the talent is so spread out that while teams like SC, Stanford, Duke, Maryland, UNC, Tennessee, Baylor, Louisville, and a few others could legitimately make final 4 runs, UCONN would be the undisputed favorites in every season for the next 4-5. Now I'm not trying to mess with the mojo, put the cart before the horse, or any other analogy, but what I just said above is a big reason why Wilson is such a big deal.

If she chooses SC, they suddenly become a contender for a final 4. NOT really a contender for a NC. Let's be honest - Maya Moore only won 2 NC's at UCONN and as it turns out, she is probably close to the best all around player in the world right now. If we'd landed Elena, it's likely Maya would have won at least 1 more, but with all the talent she was surrounded by, she only won 2. For SC fans to think they have a legit shot at an actual NC, they need to get past UCONN and ND and no matter how nice SC's run was this year, Wilson does not make them better than UCONN or ND...

This is Tonyc lite!

:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why? Is there evidence of this or are you just making assumptions, or have a 'gut' feeling?

I haven't been following this saga, so have no opinion. However, UConn would seem to be the logical place for her -- assuming the former still is interested -- based on the few comments I've seen from her about what her criteria are. There may be factors she has not mentioned, or perhaps certain factors that carry more weight for her, so ...
No opinion?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ummm, not to be a grammar nazi, but after your creative use of capitals, commas, periods, spacing, apostrophes, spelling, etc. to ask if this clears this up? No, not really.
Look out....according to Hongster, you have bad blood between you and Ruggy.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it has been a done deal to SC for a long time
I think it would be no surprise if it's South Carolina, but are you saying she has made up her mind and didn't tell the other three coaches just so she can announce on 4/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom