A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

A'ja to Announce College Decision on April 16th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So, will the tournament results impact Wilson's decision?

If so, ponder the following.

Tennessee, a #1 seed lost in the sweet sixteen to Maryland. Granted, seedlings don't always mean anything but this was not a good performance by Tennessee. Same ole same ole offensive woes. Their coach is being killed by the fanbase because of this.

North Carolina, a #4 seed had a good tourney run, but of you watched the games, they don't run a lot of offense, and this is clearly DeShields team. Not sure if Wilson cares about that or not. Certainly a ton of talent to play along side.

South Carolina, a #1 seed lost in the Elite Eight to the above UNC team. Staley's end of game coaching left a lot to be desired. Their offensive woes are easy to see. A very good team but who did they beat?

Connecticut, a #1 seed, is still alive in the tourney and the favorite to win it all. Even when not playing their best, they win by 19 and 15. It's clear they consistently play the best offense and defense of the 4 teams she is looking at.

So, that's my spin and I'm sticking to it.

Reaction Score
Academics aren't her top priority. You even said so by stating that "none of the remaining schools are Duke or Stanford." If your top priority is education, there are about 50 schools better than UConn, and more than 100 better than South Carolina where her top flight basketball skills would certainly land her a full ride to one of the top institutions on the planet. Places like Duke, Stanford, and ND offer a kid one of the best educations you can possibly get combined with competitive basketball. South Carolina is a pretty state, but no one has ever said South Carolina and "top school" in the same sentence. Same goes for Tennessee. It's a trade off. Do you want more basketball or more education? That's for the recruit to decide. If you're trying to set yourself up for the best possible future, and you have the kind of door-opening talent and potential she supposedly has, the decision really isn't that hard. Hopefully her parents are smart and kick her out. Everyone has to leave the nest eventually, and some kids need more prodding than others. Turning down a top education AND the top basketball WCBB program? If that comes to fruition, that says all I need to know about her priorities. Obviously this is all speculation and we'll know soon enough. Either way UConn WCBB will be fine as Geno has said many times that most of the best players go to other schools (and, of course, get to watch the school they rejected cut down the nets).
There seems to be an idea that you won't go as far in life at Uconn compared to say Stanford. Just like basketball (where Uconn kids become more successful as proffessionals than from other schools) you really do get what you put into it. The idea that you'll make more money, or go further in life at a so called top program isn't 100% true. The CEO of Wal Mart is a Uconn grad. If you work hard you can succeed going anywhere. Maya made Rhodes scholar and went to Uconn. Kara Lawson turned down Stanford for TN. If her goal was a pro basketball career, and then a career in broadcasting than she ended up getting what she wanted out of her college choice. The secret nobody talks about is that if you want to end up a doctor, lawyer, or wall street hot shot is that nobody will care as much about your BA as your masters, or doctorate. Play ball, be smart, work hard, be successful!

Reaction Score
You quoted a post from Doggydaddy who posted comments he found from another board, and labeled them as a "theory". You then stated, "This particular theory about her announcement date has been being bandied about on Carolina and Tennessee boards since Sept/October of last year.", so it appeared to me that you were referring to what Doggydaddy was referring to. I don't know what else you could've been referring to.

But either way, you clarified that it was in reference to NORTH Carolina boards, not SOUTH Carolina ones, and I'm not anyways near familiar with those (I am with both the Rivals and Scout UNC boards, and haven't seen much of this "theory on either of those), so I will defer t0 you. As I said I post on VolNation and have posted a number of times in their thread regarding Wilson, and the only comments in there regarding this "theory" mostly come from a poster named "ruggy" that postures himself as a UConn fan...

Reaction Score
Yes I am A 100% UCONN fan,your facts are somewhat change to suit you,all well and good I suppose.I have stated my IMO here and was told by the MOD all three in fact,that I was not allowed to post my IMO because other board would use such posts of which there are many post here the same. I repeat I am UCONN and being 75 I bet have watch more games than you>>>>I do post on the Tenn fan site lots,I suppose this is where you got the info,,go there,not hard to find me at all,this time use copy and paste.please do not bend my posts to your liking........

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sorry Ruggy, but I have no idea what you are talking about...IAC, here is a bent post.

damage-from-bent-sign-post-fault-21391381.jpg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
South Carolina, a #1 seed lost in the Elite Eight to the above UNC team. Staley's end of game coaching left a lot to be desired. Their offensive woes are easy to see. A very good team but who did they beat?

Good post Doggy!
Agree with everything except would change one word.

A very good team to:
A pretty good team

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Glad to see this thread is back on track after the temporary Achonwa time-out. :)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Glad to see this thread is back on track after the temporary Achonwa time-out. :)

Yes, if it can survive another 2 weeks it can just be the segue into announcement day.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The site has an overly touchy profanity filter programmed by Ms. Prunella Prude.

prude-woman.jpg

It takes the liberty not of deleting things, but of distorting them into ridiculous constructs just to get around the dreaded s e xual reference that no one but the prudish programmer would've ever thought of in the first place.

Note that Prunella thinks the word s e xual is OK only if it contains extra spaces. Those spaces evidently soften the raw impact of the word on the libido, which might otherwise be stirred to who knows what disgraceful actions by reading it.

Prunella spends a lot of time thinking about these things, just to make sure we won't have to be exposed to them -- except, that is, during the extra time we have to take figuring out what dirty little thing she's thinking about.

So, er . . . roosterhrn, be careful what you write. And if some filthy thought about basketball crosses your mind, don't richard around with it. Especially if it's too breastillating to get by Prunella. Believe me, she knows what's in your lustful little head better than you do.

ROFLM...er..A.off!!

Reaction Score
Sorry Ruggy, but I have no idea what you are talking about...IAC, here is a bent post.

damage-from-bent-sign-post-fault-21391381.jpg
like the bent post....IAC

In any case

got me on that one ..had to look that one up. what I was trying to say ,was I was misquoted from the Tenn forum for which I do post somewhat.as you know there is a lot of Uconn fans there,Sometimes it's some what of a battle,like a miney war,Now to clear things up a bit.I said it there and said it here that I didn"t think Aja would come to Connecticut. IMO because she doesn"t want to play post and therefore she could warm the bench,Geno way or the road, IMO Tenn would start her. Now I think that didn't go well with the aim. here as this type of post , others would say Conn. fans need to be in the best of light, ok so when I go on Tenn board there is no CLE802A>>>>

I hope this clears this up,, new here,gona take me sometime to know you all

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Guess I will weigh in with my two cents,since I haven't posted in a while.

It would be surprising to me,if Wilson either went to Tennessee or North Carolina.Tennessee has the makings of a good team,but the jury is still out on the teaching of how to play up to one's potential and talent,IMO.North Carolina is the Diamond show,whether they want to admit it or not,and I believe they will not progress to any championship form going forward,as long as that is true.

That leaves South Carolina and Connecticut,as far as I can see.I think South Carolina has the inside edge,and I could be wrong,but I still believe that Connecticut has a very good chance of landing Wilson,and I also think that how Connecticut fares in this tournament,and how they look as a team,how much their offense gels,will have some impact on her decision.

As others have stated,I wish her the best,no matter where she chooses.I also believe the talent coming in next year,and the potential talent coming in future years,will still keep Connecticut in the championship talk for years to come,regardless of who doesn't decide to come to Connecticut!

Reaction Score
I do hope that young lady comes to Connecticut after all The best get to be Great ...not so great get to be the best

Reaction Score
Well it's like Geno says, most of the top players don't go to UConn, and as CD said the other day, the pool of kids that meet the UConn criteria gets smaller and smaller every year. I was thinking about the (potential) impact a #1 recruit has on their team, and I was wondering if UConn has ever won a championship without at least one #1 recruit?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
like the bent post....IAC

In any case

got me on that one ..had to look that one up. what I was trying to say ,was I was misquoted from the Tenn forum for which I do post somewhat.as you know there is a lot of Uconn fans there,Sometimes it's some what of a battle,like a miney war,Now to clear things up a bit.I said it there and said it here that I didn"t think Aja would come to Connecticut. IMO because she doesn"t want to play post and therefore she could warm the bench,Geno way or the road, IMO Tenn would start her. Now I think that didn't go well with the aim. here as this type of post , others would say Conn. fans need to be in the best of light, ok so when I go on Tenn board there is no CLE802A>>>>

I hope this clears this up,, new here,gona take me sometime to know you all

I know nothing about the Tenn "bored"...I have neither time nor inclination to visit any other team site. It's BoneYard or nothing for Oz.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about the Tenn "bored"...I have neither time nor inclination to visit any other team site. It's BoneYard or nothing for Oz.

Well that's great for you,as for me I don't like blinders SBIA ....now that's something,,,does the boneyard list other forums?ROTFLUTS I think you might possible be bored

Links to blogs, Official Site, Recruiting, BY rules, etc

Forums Forum Lobby UConn Football UConn Men's Hoops UConn Women's Hoop Board UConn Baseball and Soccer The Baseball Board Cesspool Opponent Message Boards Cincinnati DePaul Louisville HoyaTalk value="http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=415">Marquette Notre Dame Pittsburgh Providence Rutgers Seton Hall South Florida Syracuse West Virginia OOC Opponents The "Other" Huskies Kentucky Media Links UConn Official Site Hartford Courant Journal Inquirer New Haven Register News Times Fox Sports (UConn Page)
Watch Forum
Page 1 of 153
123456153Next >

Last edited:
U

UCONNfan1

Well it's like Geno says, most of the top players don't go to UConn, and as CD said the other day, the pool of kids that meet the UConn criteria gets smaller and smaller every year. I was thinking about the (potential) impact a #1 recruit has on their team, and I was wondering if UConn has ever won a championship without at least one #1 recruit?
Maybe time to start expanding the criteria a bit? Kids change and the times change as well... What worked 10, or even 5 years ago, won't necessarily work today or 5 years down the road. I get that there will always be some line that they have to draw in the sand, but it seems like we have missed out on a bunch of kids who apparently "weren't UCONN material", yet they go on to have terrific careers at other schools and be come terrific players...

I get that they are cautious about kids who might disrupt the chemistry, but it's got to be worrisome to hear that the pool of kids who meet the UCONN criteria is shrinking every year. At some point, by the laws of logic, there will be no recruits left who meet UCONN's criteria...

Reaction Score
Nope.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Well, next year we'll have two (or maybe three if we get Wilson), and the following year one (or two if we get Wilson). So if we get Durr....then we'll be back in business, right? Or if we get Wilson, back to having two again.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some comments re: Miss Wilson, from the horse's mouth, speaking today no less, in the McD game thread.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Based on what Wilson said in her interview and from what we've heard its either USC or UConn. Reading this thread she said she wants to play somewhere that will take care of her future. IMO that means USA teams, Olympics, and pro ball. Well Dawn and Geno are the coaches for those teams.

Geno won NCs without all the top recruits he went after like EDD and he will continue to win NCs with or without top players because he has built a one unit team while many other coaches are still working on building a team that can play as a unit. It is almost a given that UConn will be in the FF almost every years. Another example UConn beat 5 top teams in a span of a couple of weeks without KML and Tuck. How many teams like Tenn USC Stanford Duke ND can do that on the road with two of their top players out?

Next she wants to be developed and Geno is the best coach in WCBB at developing players. We have also read she may want to stay close to home and that to me means USC.

Based on the above to think Wilson will go anyplace other then USC and Uconn is a silly. She is not going to Tenn or UNC as both lost early in the NCAAs. UConn has more plus's then USC but given USC is close to home and Dawn is coaching the U19 team I think that is a big plus for them, while Geno is coaching the USA team which is a big plus for UConn. So the decision will come down to what is more important to her based on what USC and UConn have to offer. IMO no other team can match that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope.
Yeah. That was a pretty easy answer.

I saw a graphic last night during Mickey D's game (current rosters) with most prep All-Americans
UCONN -8
Next Highest (I think) Notre Dame- 4
Again I ask how great does coaching have to be when you continuously pull the best talent, especially in the Women's game??

JS

Reaction Score
Again I ask how great does coaching have to be when you continuously pull the best talent
You ask that again why? Are you insinuating Geno isn't a great coach?

If so, while recruiting is a bit of a horse race, you're making a Spectacular Bid for Citation as
Tom Fool of the month. I don't mean to act like a Ruffian, but your insinuation can't be Affirmed.

(Sorry, with Derby Day less than a month away, something came over me .)

See, Biscuit, (oops) -- great coaches generally aren't just some lucky stiffs who happen to pull in the best talent and then sit back and win.

Please allow for the possibility that they get that talent because they're great coaches and the talent knows it.

Please allow for the further possibility that coaching great talent takes talent. Because greatly talented players can keep improving, just as mediocre players can.

Again I ask, how great does coaching have to be to make a mediocre player better?

The challenge with an uber-talented player may be different, but it's just as much a challenge. Big high school stars need plenty of good coaching of a specialized nature to get to the next level and beyond.

The flaws in the games of big high school stars may be more ingrained, because they've been rewarded against lesser competition.

Often those flaws have gone unnoticed by high school coaches who, if they notice them at all, lack the skill and the incentive to address them.

That's where a top level college coach comes in. Think constant improvement, big star, no matter who you are. And here, exactly, is what you need to do, and here's how you can do it.

And by the way, the best players in the world aren't great players in a vacuum. They're good at working as part of a team of similarly great players.

That's different from just being the big star who makes a group of lesser players win a few more games, against lesser competition, than they would have otherwise .

Food for a Round Table discussion before we Forego further debate and Whirlaway to the off-season.

Oops. There I go again.

Reaction Score
You ask that again why? Are you insinuating Geno isn't a great coach?

If so, while recruiting is a bit of a horse race, you're making a Spectacular Bid for Citation as
Tom Fool of the month. I don't mean to act like a Ruffian, but your insinuation can't be Affirmed.

(Sorry, with Derby Day less than a month away, something came over me .)

See, Biscuit, (oops) -- great coaches generally aren't just some lucky stiffs who happen to pull in the best talent and then sit back and win.

Please allow for the possibility that they get that talent because they're great coaches and the talent knows it.

Please allow for the further possibility that coaching great talent takes talent. Because greatly talented players can keep improving, just as mediocre players can.

Again I ask, how great does coaching have to be to make a mediocre player better?

The challenge with an uber-talented player may be different, but it's just as much a challenge. Big high school stars need plenty of good coaching of a specialized nature to get to the next level and beyond.

The flaws in the games of big high school stars may be more ingrained, because they've been rewarded against lesser competition.

Often those flaws have gone unnoticed by high school coaches who, if they notice them at all, lack the skill and the incentive to address them.

That's where a top level college coach comes in. Think constant improvement, big star, no matter who you are. And here, exactly, is what you need to do, and here's how you can do it.

And by the way, the best players in the world aren't great players in a vacuum. They're good at working as part of a team of similarly great players.

That's different from just being the big star who makes a group of lesser players win a few more games, against lesser competition, than they would have otherwise .

Food for a Round Table discussion before we Forego further debate and Whirlaway to the off-season.

Oops. There I go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc