AAC Expansion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AAC Expansion

Reaction Score
NYC almost 9 million folks (tho now reversing), zero FBS programs.
'Something to think about.'
but the rest of the nation is just one big dummy, right? and country music on the radio isn't, by far, the most popular programming, right?
Should have quit while you were ahead.

Reaction Score
I've followed UNT for 30 years -- have family in Denton who both work at & attend. They have pretty much always been bad. Even as they grew tremendously, still bad. Even as they moved to better conferences, still bad. I have my doubts that this is going to be the time they finally get any good.
Well we are all waiting for that eventual time that ol mush-for-brains lumps together a coherent paragraph

Reaction Score
Never got the point of the Texas population talk. Yeah great its also the size of the NorthEast and Mid Atlantic combined. Whats the population of that area mass?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Thank you Dave Benedict

Like DB had another choice when the NBE extended the first hints to Storrs. If it had gotten out that there was a chance and he bypassed the hoops fans would have revolted and the baseball and football fans would be celebrating. This was a no brainer for him - how appropriate
That new AAC if those teams join, is one ugly league

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
LOL that you think this made you right. You still couldn't be more wrong. The Big East is a long term disaster, because eventually the big football conferences will leave the NCAA without us (unless we play football well enough to end up in one of them). This move was in the short, and probably intermediate, interests of basketball, not its long term interests. That the AAC blew up, however, makes it an unpalatable home now for football as well.

You are a difficult curmudgeon and often wildly just plain off.

- More wrong???????The Big East is a 40 yr. long term conference that will continue to exist for schools focused on hoops.

- Who's arguing against another P5 possibility in our best interest? Not me.

- My point Biz Lawyer is it? AAC hurt our prime product - Basketball. It was a drag on the program.

- Your long term "if was a fifth" sky is falling scenario of all big football conferences abandoning the NCAA is so far from UCONN's football reality that I scratch my head at why I even felt the need to respond to you. What are you talking about? If we were to make a marginal jump to begin consistently competing with 2 star players we still would be light years from NCAA football exodus scenario.

What a joke. Yeah I was right. Sounds like you are one of those who owes me an apology.

Reaction Score
You are a difficult curmudgeon and often wildly just plain off.

- More wrong???????The Big East is a 40 yr. long term conference that will continue to exist for schools focused on hoops.

- Who's arguing against another P5 possibility in our best interest? Not me.

- My point Biz Lawyer is it? AAC hurt our prime product - Basketball. It was a drag on the program.

- Your long term "if was a fifth" sky is falling scenario of all big football conferences abandoning the NCAA is so far from UCONN's football reality that I scratch my head at why I even felt the need to respond to you. What are you talking about? If we were to make a marginal jump to begin consistently competing with 2 star players we still would be light years from NCAA football exodus scenario.

What a joke. Yeah I was right. Sounds like you are one of those who owes me an apology.
I think what he is saying is that the Big East, temporarily at least, is a better conference for UConn, but make no mistake that eventually when the P5/P4 schools decide they are going to eat the whole enchilada, then they will eat the whole enchilada. Schools like Butler, Creighton, PC, Xavier, DePaul will have no pull whatsoever with the new sports world order, and are not any different than Memphis, Temple, USF, UAB, etc. That's why this holier than thou attitude towards the AAC reconstitution is a bit unsettling. UConn is firmly on the outside looking in in the college new world order. The money, be it NIL, football revenues, and eventually non-NCAA basketball revenue will be the ultimate decider of the have and have nots. There is a slim chance that UConn's football fortunes rise up, but man oh man, being the worst team in FBS kind of makes one a bit jaded when expressing hope for a sanguine future.

Reaction Score
a. college sports cash = football. period.
b. temple, memphis, and wichita state will now play football in a conference of
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
c. temple, memphis, and wichita state are thinking 'cool, bigtime football, we getting paid.'
and as to the 'Texas thing,' well, the State of Texas will be adding population equal to the current State of New York in the next couple of decades, with Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee putting us here in Connecticut in the population rearview mirror long ago, as they grow quite nicely. will this conference still be around in the future? will any of these? idk, but in the meantime, this one is where people are factually moving to.
period.
when will there be an announcement from the Great States of New England to ban all football, cuz it hurts their feelings, or sumthin?

the arrogance around these parts is palpable. see 'a' above.

this is where FAU plays. i like the palm trees.
fau_stadium_night.jpg

'The steel stadium would allow for future expansion up to 65,000 seats as well as a roof if needed.'
Maybe Georgia State or Coastal instead of one of the Texas adds.

Reaction Score
UConn hurt UConn basketball. We should have bestrode that conference like the Collosus of Rhodes every single year but we couldn't get out of our own way.

Reaction Score
UConn hurt UConn basketball. We should have bestrode that conference like the Collosus of Rhodes every single year but we couldn't get out of our own way.

That’s true to a certain extent but why do we keep ignoring all the recruits and HS coaches etc saying that UConn in the Big East makes a huge difference for the program? It’s clear that the AAC was not only a net negative but an anchor around the neck

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That’s true to a certain extent but why do we keep ignoring all the recruits and HS coaches etc saying that UConn in the Big East makes a huge difference for the program? It’s clear that the AAC was not only a net negative but an anchor around the neck
Because it doesn’t fit the narrative.

Reaction Score
NYC almost 9 million folks (tho now reversing), zero FBS programs.
'Something to think about.'
but the rest of the nation is just one big dummy, right? and country music on the radio isn't, by far, the most popular programming, right?
You do know that NYC gained 700k people over the last decade, more than any other city in the US?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Local players didn't want to play in that crap league. That we left and returned to the Top 25 in warp speed with local kids is proof.

Reaction Score
if a program like Gonzaga can overcome their conference situation, then we should have been able to.

Reaction Score
if a program like Gonzaga can overcome their conference situation, then we should have been able to.

It’s not even worth fighting with you about this, because it’s such a ridiculous argument. We’re in a much better situation now and 99.99% of the college sports world agrees. The “classic” (barf) AAC that you pine for isn’t even going to exist soon, anyways

Reaction Score
It’s not even worth fighting with you about this, because it’s such a ridiculous argument. We’re in a much better situation now and 99.99% of the college sports world agrees. The “classic” (barf) AAC that you pine for isn’t even going to exist soon, anyways
I don't pine for the AAC, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom