AAC Expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC Expansion

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I can't imagine what Temple, Memphis, and Wichita State fans are thinking right now.
a. college sports cash = football. period.
b. temple, memphis, and wichita state will now play football in a conference of
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
c. temple, memphis, and wichita state are thinking 'cool, bigtime football, we getting paid.'
and as to the 'Texas thing,' well, the State of Texas will be adding population equal to the current State of New York in the next couple of decades, with Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee putting us here in Connecticut in the population rearview mirror long ago, as they grow quite nicely. will this conference still be around in the future? will any of these? idk, but in the meantime, this one is where people are factually moving to.
period.
when will there be an announcement from the Great States of New England to ban all football, cuz it hurts their feelings, or sumthin?

the arrogance around these parts is palpable. see 'a' above.

this is where FAU plays. i like the palm trees.
fau_stadium_night.jpg

'The steel stadium would allow for future expansion up to 65,000 seats as well as a roof if needed.'

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the university of north texas in Denton, Texas, metro Dallas/Fort Worth, population now around 140,000 (was 80,000 in 2000!) plays here,
057acae1d45bff2130e8f74dbba70218_XL.jpg

temple doesn't even have it's 'own' stadium. spare me the legal-beagling.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
c. temple, memphis, and wichita state are thinking 'cool, bigtime football, we getting paid.'
yeah because the first thing i think of when I see those names is "big time football"

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
thank g*d the AAC is out of our rear view mirror. I feel bad for Temple only because my neighbor is a senior there. I'll get over it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one more. east carolina u only averages 35,000 to 45,000 folks at a game in the past few years.
East_Carolina_University_ecu2_large.jpg

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
You get enough of the P5 conferences swallowing up big name schools and eventually there's nothing left for the G5 conferences to replace them with except pure garbage.
Yep the trick is to get to p5
The AAC was a victim of their own success when you consider more than 1/4 of the schools got saved by p5
Of the last 8 Big East football teams
before CR. 6 are in Power conferences
Only two got left behind.
The 8 wanted $100-120million a year
Those 8 are currently close to double that.

Reaction Score
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
and as to the 'Texas thing,' well, the State of Texas will be adding population equal to the current State of New York in the next couple of decades, with Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee putting us here in Connecticut in the population rearview mirror long ago, as they grow quite nicely. will this conference still be around in the future? will any of these? idk, but in the meantime, this one is where people are factually moving to.
period.
when will there be an announcement from the Great States of New England to ban all football, cuz it hurts their feelings, or sumthin?

fau_stadium_night.jpg

'The steel stadium would allow for future expansion up to 65,000 seats as well as a roof if needed.'

Two thoughts here.

1. College sports cash ≠ football exclusively. 80% of revenue for school themselves may be football, which is a hell of a lot, but that does not mean it's all football or nothing. Second, as far as the NCAA goes, basketball pays 80% of the bills. Something to think about.

2. The fact that FAU charges students $14 million a year in student fees and UNT is charging over $10 million in fees to support their bloated athletic budgets while building stadiums that look like that (and are usually half empty) is EXACTLY what is wrong with college sports. Sports are definitely a marketing tool and help raise funds for colleges and universities and I'm not saying they need to make a profit, but there is a point where you have to say enough is enough. Do these students really get 10-14 million dollars worth of value out of their athletics departments every year? Maybe? Someone else can answer that question. I sit here skeptical though.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Two thoughts here.

1. College sports cash ≠ football exclusively. 80% of revenue for school themselves may be football, which is a hell of a lot, but that does not mean it's all football or nothing. Second, as far as the NCAA goes, basketball pays 80% of the bills. Something to think about.

2. The fact that FAU charges students $14 million a year in student fees and UNT is charging over $10 million in fees to support their bloated athletic budgets while building stadiums that look like that (and are usually half empty) is EXACTLY what is wrong with college sports. Sports are definitely a marketing tool and help raise funds for colleges and universities and I'm not saying they need to make a profit, but there is a point where you have to say enough is enough. Do these students really get 10-14 million dollars worth of value out of their athletics departments every year? Maybe? Someone else can answer that question. I sit here skeptical though.
NYC almost 9 million folks (tho now reversing), zero FBS programs.
'Something to think about.'
but the rest of the nation is just one big dummy, right? and country music on the radio isn't, by far, the most popular programming, right?

Reaction Score
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
period.

fau_stadium_night.jpg

A) Wichita State doesn’t play football

B) these schools are going to make less than the Big East schools. Some cash cow ya got there

Reaction Score
It's not about future students; it's about future enlistees.
The USNA's AAC western status is lasar focused on Lone Star State football recruiting. None of the academies struggle to entice candidates seeking Congressional nominations. Aside from game advertisements targeting prospective USN enlistees across the USofA, the USNA's preference in being in the AAC's western grouping apparently remains Texas gridiron recruiting.

Reaction Score
So I owe Benedict an apology. When we moved to the New Big East, I understood it but I didn't like it. I thought the damage to football of leaving the AAC was not in the long term interest of the Athletic Department, even though in the short and intermediate term it was certainly better for basketball to be in the Big East.

I was wrong and he was right. If we had stayed in the AAC, and it played out the way it has, we'd be leaving now anyway.

Reaction Score
Charlotte
ECU
FAU
Memphis
North Texas
Rice
SMU
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
USF
UTSA
and Wichita State, ergo,
period.

fau_stadium_night.jpg

Do you even have a point here, beyond the entirely irrelevant "the sunbelt is better than the northeast?"

Temple, where alumni care more about hoops than football, is in a much worse basketball conference with literally no geographic rivals in hoops (and only Navy in football). Wichita State, which is a hoops only member, is now in a worse basketball conference. Even if you are focused on AAC football, mostly sunbelt schools are leaving and will be replaced by much lesser and less prestigious sunbelt schools.

So what in the world are you talking about?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I owe Benedict an apology. When we moved to the New Big East, I understood it but I didn't like it. I thought the damage to football of leaving the AAC was not in the long term interest of the Athletic Department, even though in the short and intermediate term it was certainly better for basketball to be in the Big East.

I was wrong and he was right. If we had stayed in the AAC, and it played out the way it has, we'd be leaving now anyway.
I am in the same boat, but the Big East cannot be our permanent home long-term. Nice landing spot for now though thanks to AD David Benedict.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Many here owe me an apology for jumping down my throat for insisting how the AAC (is it still AAC??) was destroying our true calling card - UCONN Basketball. Some of those confused and distantly casual hoop fans have meandered back to the football side, other football or bust'ers have simply dropped from the BY and crawled back into their small, dark holes.

Reaction Score
Many here owe me an apology for jumping down my throat for insisting how the AAC (is it still AAC??) was destroying our true calling card - UCONN Basketball. Some of those confused and distantly casual hoop fans have meandered back to the football side, other football or bust'ers have simply dropped from the BY and crawled back into their small, dark holes.
LOL that you think this made you right. You still couldn't be more wrong. The Big East is a long term disaster, because eventually the big football conferences will leave the NCAA without us (unless we play football well enough to end up in one of them). This move was in the short, and probably intermediate, interests of basketball, not its long term interests. That the AAC blew up, however, makes it an unpalatable home now for football as well.

Reaction Score
NYC almost 9 million folks (tho now reversing), zero FBS programs.
'Something to think about.'
but the rest of the nation is just one big dummy, right? and country music on the radio isn't, by far, the most popular programming, right?
Tell us about YouTube views too, Einstein

Reaction Score
LOL that you think this made you right. You still couldn't be more wrong. The Big East is a long term disaster, because eventually the big football conferences will leave the NCAA without us (unless we play football well enough to end up in one of them). This move was in the short, and probably intermediate, interests of basketball, not its long term interests. That the AAC blew up, however, makes it an unpalatable home now for football as well.
Right after you acknowledge how wrong you were, you speak as if your next conjecture is certainty.

Reaction Score
the university of north texas in Denton, Texas, metro Dallas/Fort Worth, population now around 140,000 (was 80,000 in 2000!) plays here,
057acae1d45bff2130e8f74dbba70218_XL.jpg

temple doesn't even have it's 'own' stadium. spare me the legal-beagling.

I've followed UNT for 30 years -- have family in Denton who both work at & attend. They have pretty much always been bad. Even as they grew tremendously, still bad. Even as they moved to better conferences, still bad. I have my doubts that this is going to be the time they finally get any good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom