AAC Expansion | Page 7 | The Boneyard

AAC Expansion

Reaction Score
So what? I still don't understand the point you are trying to make or hear you offer a realistic scenario where we move up. It's just the same dead horse beating.
Fully fund the football program, position the entire athletic department to be an attractive potential partner and never be complacent with Big East membership. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
a state-of-the-art new stadium and practice facilities, membership in a BCS conference, ranked teams, regular bowl appearances, a BCS bowl appearance, yet "not set up to pursue big time football"? Maybe not now due to three bad consecutive hires, but back then? Please.
All of that literally led to the elimination of the BCS model and ultimately UConn on the outside looking in. Before the last 2 hires the ACC and BIG both said "no thanks". Pasqualoni beat 18th ranked Louisville in Louisville 11/24/12. 11/28/12 Louisville got an invite.

Also, kids born the year the Rent was built are currently in college or graduating high school this year. It's neither "state-of-the-art" nor "new". Even when it was new, it wasn't state-of-the-art.

It's odd to see such arrogance (maybe i'm misinterpreting your tone) about UConn's rightful place among the football big boys after they already took a look during the peak of our football program and passed. But if you think the 18 year old stadium is "new" and "state-of-the-art", that helps to explain things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Completely disagree that it's time to wave a white flag. It's time to double down.

All of these former Big East members got the brass ring, these are NOT better athletic programs than us:

Rutgers
Pitt
Syracuse
WVU
Louisville
BC
Cincinnati
Tell me you've learned nothing from conference realignment, without telling me you've learned nothing from conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Fully fund the football program, position the entire athletic department to be an attractive potential partner and never be complacent with Big East membership. It's that simple.

Three questions.

1. What level is "fully funded" to you?

2. Does having one of the largest athletic budget deficits in the nation bother you at all?

3. Is there a point at which you would say the university is losing too much money on athletics?

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
All of that literally led to the elimination of the BCS model and ultimately UConn on the outside looking in. Before the last 2 hires the ACC and BIG both said "no thanks".

Also, kids born the year the Rent was built are currently in college or graduating high school this year. It's neither "state-of-the-art" nor "new". Even when it was new, it wasn't state-of-the-art.

It's odd to see such arrogance (maybe i'm misinterpreting your tone) about UConn's rightful place among the football big boys after they already took a look during the peak of our football program and passed. But if you think the 18 year old stadium is "new" and "state-of-the-art", that helps to explain things.
I never said the stadium is currently new or state of the art. I was referring to the period when the football program was regularly going to bowls, etc

Reaction Score
Tell me you've learned nothing from conference realignment, without telling me you've learned nothing from conference realignment.
Maybe my faith in UConn's place in the world of college athletics is misplaced.

Reaction Score
I never said the stadium is currently new or state of the art. I was referring to the period when the football program was regularly going to bowls, etc
So you were saying we shouldn't have been passed over when we were passed over.

Reaction Score
What is that number and how much are you contributing? You should be in for $10K min with all your bleating.
considering I've been a season ticket holder since the Field House days and Memorial Stadium, I think I've done my share with purchases and contributions. You?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
considering I've been a season ticket holder since the Field House days and Memorial Stadium, I think I've done my share with purchases and contributions. You?
I haven't missed a game at The Rent, paid for every ticket. But just buying tickets isn't doing your share when you demand "full funding", you need to pony up. Big money for FB needs to come from donors not the state or the students. It's supposed to be an educational institution with semi-pro FB attached, not semi-pro FB with a college attached.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Man I wonder how long this took to make. Like how much pitiful research you did to try to hold on to your utterly idiotic narrative.
interesting question, so i dusted off the 'billing software' (haven't looked at that since summer '20 for for a question aboot 'what percentage of office workers in the nyc market will not be returning?' that sum realty group wanted to know the answer to. they waved a pantload of cash in my mug.
heck, i wanted to know myself, so why not do the same effort and get paid for it?), and counted aboot 11 minutes for this effort.
i won't bill you for the two frozen burritos ( 'los campanas' brand, 'red hot beef burritos,' $4 a bag of 8! and 2:09 in the microbox, power level 8 -highly rec'd.) that i ate while doing that.
i bet that i could figger out a way to cut my lawns, and charge u for it. ur a pal, so i'd prolly just charge you t+e, and not a flat fee, tho im kinda out of the 'billing for time' bitness. too many cartoons to watch. u see the new archer? edgy. lol.

Reaction Score
You do know that NYC gained 700k people over the last decade, more than any other city in the US?
Actually it was 629, 057.

Maybe the Cliffmeister didn't say it but the simple fact a city's population rises along with that of the entire nation means less than the increase or decline in the percentage of the nation's population in each region. He was, I believe, pointing out the major shift in population and growth from the Northeast to the Southeast and Southwest and the resultant economic decline and growth in the respective regions.

How many congressional seats have been added to Northeast states in the last say 50 years? The answer to that tells us where the economic growth will be in the future, for example.

Newest auto plants in the USofA:
-Tesla, moving from CA to TX
-Rivian IL
-Lucid AZ
-Toyota KY, IN, TX, MS, AL
-Honda OH, OH, AL, IN
-Nissan TN, MS
-Mazda AL
-Subaru IN
-Hyundai AL
-Kia GA
-Volkswagen TN
-Volvo SC
-BMW SC
-Mercedes AL, SC
-Hino WVA

Reaction Score
Anyone that has any issues with us joining the Big East is not worth arguing with at this point. Proof is there.
I agreed with joining the NBE but also believe we should have been able to overcome any negatives of AAC membership.
As someone else noted, if Gonzaga could become a national power in their league there was no reason UConn couldn't have maintained its previous stature which was much higher than that of Gonzaga, even today if you look at Championships won.
Hopefully we can prove how important the right coach is with the hiring of our next football coach.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I agreed with joining the NBE but also believe we should have been able to overcome any negatives of AAC membership.
As someone else noted, if Gonzaga could become a national power in their league there was no reason UConn couldn't have maintained its previous stature which was much higher than that of Gonzaga, even today if you look at Championships won.
Hopefully we can prove how important the right coach is with the hiring of our next football coach.
We could have/should have. We didn't. Now we're back in the Big East with a top 25 team and great recruiting classes every year. Anyone that wants to go back to the AAC is delusional.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Lmfao ESPN really playing $7m/yr for this pile of garbage??? YIKES
Aren’t they paying 7m many years down the road? They also moved their production cost onto the AAC members.

Reaction Score
Aren’t they paying 7m many years down the road? They also moved their production cost onto the AAC members.
Yep. It is still a garbage deal. Basically, $6,000,000 or less net per year to travel your teams all over the country and play in empty arenas.

Selling tickets is the most underrated benefit of the Big East. That generates a lot of money for the schools. When you sell more tickets you sell more merchandise and concessions too. All this done in a much more travel friendly footprint.

Reaction Score
Now I wonder if it's time for Wichita State and Temple to bite the bullet and pay up $10M to join the Big East (for Wichita State) and A-10 (for Temple).

And for those who are hating on Wichita State joining the Big East, they've been a top-30 KenPom team for eight of the last ten years and a top-70 season for those other two years.

Reaction Score
Bottom line? Right now, UConn is in the best situation possible: Independent in football and Big East for other sports. There is no way we could have remained in the AAC knowing what we know now and UConn was not getting a Big 12 invite. You have to give credit to Benedict for reading the conference realignment tea leaves and acting proactively.

Long term, I think UConn will end up in a top conference, but football needs to recover and become competitive.

The primary rule of conference realignment is that it is never over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom