Reaction Score

Wichita State right now has to be like this:

Oh No Nbc GIF by Blindspot

Or like this:

george lucas what GIF

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
So isn't the AAC basically just C-USA under the name of the AAC now? I mean Memphis, SMU, ECU, Tulane, etc. were all C-USA schools within the last decade and now they're just adding more C-USA schools. Just drop the AAC name and call it what it is...Conference USA.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nobody believes it tho’

wait, hoad up, is this saying folks in San Antonio, Birmingham, south florida, and such got tv's?!?!? what's next? portable screens too?
who knew? nobody tells me nuthin...

Reaction Score
So isn't the AAC basically just C-USA under the name of the AAC now? I mean Memphis, SMU, ECU, Tulane, etc. were all C-USA schools within the last decade and now they're just adding more C-USA schools. Just drop the AAC name and call it what it is...Conference USA.

some on this board want it to be called Big East

Reaction Score
Actually it was 629, 057.

Maybe the Cliffmeister didn't say it but the simple fact a city's population rises along with that of the entire nation means less than the increase or decline in the percentage of the nation's population in each region. He was, I believe, pointing out the major shift in population and growth from the Northeast to the Southeast and Southwest and the resultant economic decline and growth in the respective regions.

How many congressional seats have been added to Northeast states in the last say 50 years? The answer to that tells us where the economic growth will be in the future, for example.

Newest auto plants in the USofA:
-Tesla, moving from CA to TX
-Rivian IL
-Lucid AZ
-Toyota KY, IN, TX, MS, AL
-Honda OH, OH, AL, IN
-Nissan TN, MS
-Mazda AL
-Subaru IN
-Hyundai AL
-Kia GA
-Volkswagen TN
-Volvo SC
-BMW SC
-Mercedes AL, SC
-Hino WVA
Yeah but that was not OPs point. They said that the population of NYC was declining. I clearly stated that it's not, and in fact is growing at a significant pace.

Reaction Score
Yeah but that was not OPs point. They said that the population of NYC was declining. I clearly stated that it's not, and in fact is growing at a significant pace.
As someone who follows this as part of my job,
I wouldn't say 'significant pace.' Average population growth over the last decade was 0.6%/year, slower than the national average of 0.7%, which itself is the slowest in US history.

The level change is fairly large because it's such a large metro area, but in growth terms not so much.

[commenting only bc I know a bit about this; not in any way agreeing with the OP]

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say 'significant pace.' Average population growth over the last decade was 0.6%/year, slower than the national average of 0.7%, which itself is the slowest in US history.

The level change is fairly large because it's such a large metro area, but in growth terms not so much.

[commenting only bc I know a bit about this; not in any way agreeing with the OP]

For a massive "mature" city like New York where pretty much everything is already built out I can back him and say its growing at very significant pace. I've lived here for 22 years now and just moved into Port Morris, Bronx. I don't quiet envisioned living here in the tip of the South Bronx but things worked out so far (wifey is a medical resident nearby in Mt. Sinai/Harlem).

But even the tip of the South Bronx is getting luxury rentals now. The whole Port Morris area is getting like $2 billion worth of high-rise luxury rentals right now. Developers are tapping into areas that were No-Nos in the past as they already redeveloped LIC/Williamsburg/Dumbo/Downtown Brooklyn/etc. Next door in Mott Haven Bx, the hood is also getting massive investment.

Reaction Score

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score

Exactly. Sure - Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states may have lost population, but where did that population loss come from? Not the cities or their metro areas - but instead the rural parts of the states. Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and DC all had population growth last decade (DC had an almost 15% population growth last decade and that was the 7th highest rate in the US). And comparing some huge suburb city in the sunbelt to the compact cities in the NE is not equitable. You have to compare sunbelt cities to NE metro areas b/c those sunbelt cities have enormous land areas.

But anyway, the argument that we should have stayed in the AAC to play crap 4th rate southern state schools - because those schools fill-up a stadium with 35,000 people - is not a great argument.

Reaction Score
For a massive "mature" city like New York where pretty much everything is already built out I can back him and say its growing at very significant pace. I've lived here for 22 years now and just moved into Port Morris, Bronx. I don't quiet envisioned living here in the tip of the South Bronx but things worked out so far (wifey is a medical resident nearby in Mt. Sinai/Harlem).

But even the tip of the South Bronx is getting luxury rentals now. The whole Port Morris area is getting like $2 billion worth of high-rise luxury rentals right now. Developers are tapping into areas that were No-Nos in the past as they already redeveloped LIC/Williamsburg/Dumbo/Downtown Brooklyn/etc. Next door in Mott Haven Bx, the hood is also getting massive investment.
Good old gentrification. Yay.

Reaction Score
Now I wonder if it's time for Wichita State and Temple to bite the bullet and pay up $10M to join the Big East (for Wichita State) and A-10 (for Temple).

And for those who are hating on Wichita State joining the Big East, they've been a top-30 KenPom team for eight of the last ten years and a top-70 season for those other two years.
Hard pass

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom