A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

Reaction Score
On your last paragraph I would think go BE in all non-FB sports and remaining as football only in AAC might be more feasible.

I was at the Houston & Auburn games and it was more crowded than the AAC ones, but not like games @ UK, KU, UNC,Wisky, MSU or even places like S Carolina, Florida, Maryland, etc. I like the games @ XL for easier access, etc., but the AAC has little to no juice.

Like the other threads, make Mohegan the permanent home. The PAC-12 has basically made Vegas theirs it seems.

I think the main point being made here is that we have a multiple page thread ripping Shaugnessy (spelling?) for saying nobody cares about college basketball in the Northeast, yet we also had around 8k fans in attendance at 50% capacity for a do or die tournament game against a ranked opponent that could be considered our most consistent rival.

I think Shaugnessy's point is overblown a bit, but who's to say he didn't tune in yesterday and draw that conclusion?

I also tend to agree that had this been a bigger tournament (i.e. Big East or ACC) the place would have been packed, but since we're not in that position, we don't have that luxury.

Everyone knows AAC is a death knell for our programs but after 4 years, I'm just shocked at how much we've already gone down in terms of support only three seasons removed from a title.

I have the P5 dream, but I wonder how much more we can sustain this league for basketball specifically.

I wonder if there is anyway to do a ND-lite deal with the ACC to even out their hoops league at 16 and get maybe 4 ACC games a season for football....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the main point being made here is that we have a multiple page thread ripping Shaugnessy (spelling?) for saying nobody cares about college basketball in the Northeast, yet we also had around 8k fans in attendance at 50% capacity for a do or die tournament game against a ranked opponent that could be considered our most consistent rival.

I think Shaugnessy's point is overblown a bit, but who's to say he didn't tune in yesterday and draw that conclusion?

I also tend to agree that had this been a bigger tournament (i.e. Big East or ACC) the place would have been packed, but since we're not in that position, we don't have that luxury.

Everyone knows AAC is a death knell for our programs but after 4 years, I'm just shocked at how much we've already gone down in terms of support only three seasons removed from a title.

I have the P5 dream, but I wonder how much more we can sustain this league for basketball specifically.

I wonder if there is anyway to do a ND-lite deal with the ACC to even out their hoops league at 16 and get maybe 4 ACC games a season for football....

And a subset of the 8k were SMU and Cinci fans.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And a subset of the 8k were SMU and Cinci fans.

Yeah, but they only were there because they bought them directly from the Tulane and Tulsa contingent after they left en masse after their early round exits. :cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, but they only were there because they bought them directly from the Tulane and Tulsa contingent after they left en masse after their early round exits. :cool:

East Carolina tied up every ticket in the 200s above row F.

They bought a section to cover with an AAC tarp.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The better question was where were all the fans throughout the regular season?

No reason to toast Husky Nation over 2-3 games worth of attendance. I think it's uncalled for - just because we beat Houston expectations of the team and the fan base shouldn't change the previous 29 games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The better question was where were all the fans throughout the regular season?

No reason to toast Husky Nation over 2-3 games worth of attendance. I think it's uncalled for - just because we beat Houston expectations of the team and the fan base shouldn't change the previous 29 games.

Toasted them plenty all year. Many of the usual excuses not available. Tickets cheap, game times don't interfere with work, no suits, sit where you like. Turns out those are bogus excuses and just convienent at any given time.

You are of the mind the team should only be supported if good. That's fine - it will be that much harder to be good going forward if enough people agree with you.

Reaction Score
Why wrap them up I don't need to answer to you. Did you go to the Field House when they were in the Yankee Conference? Did you go to HCC when Greg Economou and Gerry Besselink were leading the way, every game in 320?

You know what's funny is admittedly part of the reason I'm even answering this is because I'm a huge Husky fan and if you don't think I wish I went then your nuts. There is a bit of guilt no doubt but I don't need to answer to you, just myself. But I promise you the fact you were there and I wasn't doesn't put you any better place than I as a fan. Go ahead and think what you want.

No guilt needed Mau.
Anyone questioning your loyalty to the Huskies can come talk to me.
You were a staple at the Field House and HCC ,as I was, during some very lean years (1978-1979 was the exception).
Meriden was very well represented.

Reaction Score
not that I agree with whaler11 too often ...

But he is right on this issue: WE have gotten far too entitled and far too complacent after an amazing 30 year success. WE should have been able to get a 12-14000 crowd for a game like last night - regardless of the Year we are having and regardless of Conference. If we were Iowa ... for instance ... and that game was right down the street 40 minutes from Campus, that would have been sold out. And Iowa doesn't have the Brand nor history.

Actually, I think we would have been better if these games were at Mohegan Sun. Something different would strike some as a pleasant twist. Let's not blame pricing either. This was affordable on many levels.

Reaction Score
Toasted them plenty all year. Many of the usual excuses not available. Tickets cheap, game times don't interfere with work, no suits, sit where you like. Turns out those are bogus excuses and just convienent at any given time.

You are of the mind the team should only be supported if good. That's fine - it will be that much harder to be good going forward if enough people agree with you.

I'm starting to get the feeling that alot of people didn't know about the discounted tickets.
I assumed many people check out Stubhub etc.
Maybe they don't. Maybe they just saw the retail price and kept their wallet on their hip.

I had a few people tell me they had no idea.

Reaction Score
That's fine if people don't think making an effort to go is worth it.

Just don't scratch your head when the program struggles in recruiting, disappears from the national stage and slides into oblivion in the long run.

The excuses are best when wrapped up in condesending family talk though - clearly people with jobs and families who go to games aren't as good as you.
God, just ignore the guy.

I live in Colombia, I bet this joker would expect me, as a "true fan" (according to him) to take two buses to the airport and get a flight to Boston than Hartford to see the game.

Again, he is in no position to tell anyone what they "should do".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God, just ignore the guy.

I live in Colombia, I bet this joker would expect me, as a "true fan" (according to him) to take two buses to the airport and get a flight to Boston than Hartford to see the game.

Again, he is in no position to tell anyone what they "should do".

Obviously I'm not talking about people who aren't local. But yeah make that up.

I never used the term 'true fan' so good job putting that in quotes.

Fans who can should come out and support their team - sorry not sorry if this is so offensive to you and so many others.

I'm sure y'all will be the first to bitch when there is nothing left to support.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm starting to get the feeling that alot of people didn't know about the discounted tickets.
I assumed many people check out Stubhub etc.
Maybe they don't. Maybe they just saw the retail price and kept their wallet on their hip.

I had a few people tell me they had no idea.

Yep in 2017 the residents of one of the richest and highly educated states in the country don't know how to use the internet to purchase tickets for events.

The excuses are pretty amazing when you take them one by one.

The ticket price excuse is also weak because 2 years ago the exact same thing happened. The retail was high and the league dumped them on secondary sites. Is it that hard to remember 2 years ago?

Reaction Score
Yep in 2017 the residents of one of the richest and highly educated states in the country don't know how to use the internet to purchase tickets for events.

The excuses are pretty amazing when you take them one by one.

The ticket price excuse is also weak because 2 years ago the exact same thing happened. The retail was high and the league dumped them on secondary sites. Is it that hard to remember 2 years ago?
I bought ours on Stubhub for $20
I'm saying people have!said to me all week that they didn't check the secondary market.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.
I also had people telling me they bought on CL for individual games and payed $70 a ticket for yesterday and $30 for Houston. Cheaper tickets were available on vividseat and Stubhub and they didn't check there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm saying people have!said to me all week that they didn't check the secondary market.

I also had people telling me they bought on CL for individual games and payed $70 a ticket for yesterday and $30 for Houston. Cheaper tickets were available on vividseat and Stubhub and they didn't check there.

I was agreeing with you. It's amazing that anyone would buy a ticket for anything without looking at the secondary market.

Reaction Score

The cheapest I saw on those sites yesterday morning was about 50 bucks.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score

Excuses are excuses. It is what it is. I don't think poor play is an excuse. You're paying for entertainment and a product. If you aren't entertained or the product is very poor, then you can either continue throwing cash at it or save your money. $10 games add up.

I picked up 8 tickets to the Houston game. I didn't go to the Cincinnati game. It is what it is. I just don't understand your thought process with this thread. We haven't drawn crowds all year - what made you think they were going to show up with escalated ticket prices? The casual fan isn't going to buy the $10 session tickets weeks in advance.

Reaction Score
No guilt needed Mau.
Anyone questioning your loyalty to the Huskies can come talk to me.
You were a staple at the Field House and HCC ,as I was, during some very lean years (1978-1979 was the exception).
Meriden was very well represented.

And many of us were always at the Providence CC for those ECAC tournament runs too - thanks for the support T. I am close enough to get there so I am tough on myself but again, family and other things come first and trade offs are huge as you get older and care about others. Wish I was there and the Meriden boys were calling just had to stay put.

By the way I'm usually a big impact on the refs so I know 3 guys who are really glad I didn't make it last night, especially if I was sitting next to Crack! LOL

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_2998.PNG
The cheapest I saw on those sites yesterday morning was about 50 bucks.

They were in the mid 30's on and off during the day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Excuses are excuses. It is what it is. I don't think poor play is an excuse. You're paying for entertainment and a product. If you aren't entertained or the product is very poor, then you can either continue throwing cash at it or save your money. $10 games add up.

I picked up 8 tickets to the Houston game. I didn't go to the Cincinnati game. It is what it is. I just don't understand your thought process with this thread. We haven't drawn crowds all year - what made you think they were going to show up with escalated ticket prices? The casual fan isn't going to buy the $10 session tickets weeks in advance.

Do threads on the Boneyard require a thought process?

I don't think there are legitimate excuses that we can only draw about 7k people to a conference semifinal played at home.

I often read how great our fanbase is and how many diehards we have here. Just pointed out some evidence to the contrary.

Why don't you go ask the thought process on threads complaining about referees? Maybe they will change the calls based on those.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Do threads on the Boneyard require a thought process?

I don't think there are legitimate excuses that we can only draw about 7k people to a conference semifinal played at home.

I often read how great our fanbase is and how many diehards we have here. Just pointed out some evidence to the contrary.

Why don't you go ask the thought process on threads complaining about referees? Maybe they will change the calls based on those.
The fact we drew 7,000 people to a conference semifinal game shows what people in the state think of UConn basketball.

If this team was 27-6 we would have sold the place out or come close. People lose interest when the team loses.

Reaction Score
The fans don't support it. Not sure why. Tickets aren't crazy priced, dense population within 60-90 minutes of the venues.

Mostly AAC. The AAC is a bad conference. The basketball is awful. UConn plays such ugly basketball. Terrible offensive team and offensive players. Hopefully we see some excitement next year with MAL, AG, TL and a healthy JA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom