A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A lot of UConn 'fans' should be ashamed of themselves

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I'm not good enough of a fan to attend yesterday's game.

Hang me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Before you trash on the state of Connecticut, why don't we get all the facts together.
Again, this is not a home game. It's a 10 team tournament, which means the ticket allotment is different.
My father and I tried to get tickets for saturday, and the cheapest we could find on any website, whether straight from XL or a secondary market came to over $110 for 2 tickets.
There had to have been several people from other teams who were holding tickets for other sessions but didn't bother to sell them after their team got out. That may or may not be the case, but let's not act like the tickets by the time Saturday came around were cheap/easy to get.

This is not true.

That a couple of people keep saying it doesn't make it true. There were almost zero tickets distributed to the other schools.

My God people overcomplicate simple things.

They were selling all session tickets for $10. Ten dollars. You can't cry about Saturday face value when you pass up $10 all session tickets. Sorry when you tried to jump on the bandwagon it had gotten a little bit more expensive.

The secondary sites were $35 yesterday afternoon - there are posts with the data pictured.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler shaming fans isn't going to get people to attend games against AAC opponents and get people excited about attending games in a losing season.

I'd like to see how any top program who has been permanently demoted would do attendance wise in the AAC against our opponents and in a losing season. Can't fight reality. If we're ranked in the top 25 and playing like it attendance will go up and fan interest will go up, but not by a big number.

This is why going to the Big East is our only hope to salvation unless we get lucky enough to be invited to a P-5 conference 7-8 years from now.

Its like an entitlement once you have it and you've experienced it and it's yours everything is great. Once it gets taken away and ripped away from you the inevitable pain and suffering begins. That's where UCONN is right now. We have lost our entitlement and are stuck paying out of pocket for a product(AAC) we don't want that we used to get for free(BEAST) figuratively speaking.

This fanbase is terrible at everything except making excuses.

We are number 1 in excuses.

Reaction Score
I'm ashamed I work all day and then come home late so nights and even staying overnights not being with my family. I'm ashamed I went to an early lunch/dinner with my wife then we came home and I watched the game yelling at the screen and not answering any questions she may throw at me. I'm ashamed my son was able to watch it with me and then bring his GF out to a late Japanese dinner (his GF wasn't happy either). I'm ashamed I was only able to get to 2 games this year as I am a huge fan.

I am not ashamed of my passion for UConn or the OP's original post though, not at all. I did my time gong to games, I have a family and a life which tends to be give and take. My wife doesn't want to go anymore so best bet is to leave her home if I am a real fan huh?

I get the tone of the thread and heck I'm only 30-35 minutes from the game here, but things in life change but nothing changes for the love of the team and program whether i'm in the stands or yelling at my screen from a recliner!

Reaction Score
I love the football team to and get season tickets. But to say we deserve where we are because of the basketball attendance at the AAC tourney is just wrong.

Not blaming this specifically.

Rutgers and MD were terrible when they were selected. Louisville had given any illusions that they were an academic university and hired hookers for recruits. There are many things at play with CR.

You add everything together and that pathetic crowd yesterday is a bad look plain and simple.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm ashamed I work all day and then come home late so nights and even staying overnights not being with my family. I'm ashamed I went to an early lunch/dinner with my wife then we came home and I watched the game yelling at the screen and not answering any questions she may throw at me. I'm ashamed my son was able to watch it with me and then bring his GF out to a late Japanese dinner (his GF wasn't happy either). I'm ashamed I was only able to get to 2 games this year as I am a huge fan.

I am not ashamed of my passion for UConn or the OP's original post though, not at all. I did my time gong to games, I have a family and a life which tends to be give and take. My wife doesn't want to go anymore so best bet is to leave her home if I am a real fan huh?

I get the tone of the thread and heck I'm only 30-35 minutes from the game here, but things in life change but nothing changes for the love of the team and program whether i'm in the stands or yelling at my screen from a recliner!

That's fine if people don't think making an effort to go is worth it.

Just don't scratch your head when the program struggles in recruiting, disappears from the national stage and slides into oblivion in the long run.

The excuses are best when wrapped up in condesending family talk though - clearly people with jobs and families who go to games aren't as good as you.

Reaction Score
That's fine if people don't think making an effort to go is worth it.

Just don't scratch your head when the program struggles in recruiting, disappears from the national stage and slides into oblivion in the long run.

The excuses are best when wrapped up in condesending family talk though - clearly people with jobs and families who go to games aren't as good as you.

Why wrap them up I don't need to answer to you. Did you go to the Field House when they were in the Yankee Conference? Did you go to HCC when Greg Economou and Gerry Besselink were leading the way, every game in 320?

You know what's funny is admittedly part of the reason I'm even answering this is because I'm a huge Husky fan and if you don't think I wish I went then your nuts. There is a bit of guilt no doubt but I don't need to answer to you, just myself. But I promise you the fact you were there and I wasn't doesn't put you any better place than I as a fan. Go ahead and think what you want.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why wrap them up I don't need to answer to you. Did you go to the Field House when they were in the Yankee Conference? Did you go to HCC when Greg Economou and Gerry Besselink were leading the way, every game in 320?

You know what's funny is admittedly part of the reason I'm even answering this is because I'm a huge Husky fan and if you don't think I wish I went then your nuts. There is a bit of guilt no doubt but I don't need to answer to you, just myself. But I promise you the fact you were there and I wasn't doesn't put you any better place than I as a fan. Go ahead and think what you want.

No I'm not as old as you.

Didn't ask for you to answer to me - you felt the need to make excuses.

Next time you brag about 12 hours of drunken golf I guess we'll know where that ranks priority wise.

People that go to games are better than fans that watch on TV. Anyone who wants to debate that is fooling themselves.

Reaction Score
No I'm not as old as you.

Didn't ask for you to answer to me - you felt the need to make excuses.

Next time you brag about 12 hours of drunken golf I guess we'll know where that ranks priority wise.

People that go to games are better than fans that watch on TV. Anyone who wants to debate that is fooling themselves.

Never missed a UConn game no matter where I was. And actually this post shows me to be twice the man you are now you just made a complete fool of your little self! Now go cheer in the mirror about what a great fan you were for getting $10 tickets this weekend you tool!

Tried to be nice even mentioning the guilt as fan but you, well I can't go where I want to with you the hairy eye ball is watching.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Never missed a UConn game no matter where I was. And actually this post shows me to be twice the man you are now you just made a complete fool of your little self! Now go cheer in the mirror about what a great fan you were for getting $10 tickets this weekend you tool!

Yes clearly twice the man because you use lame excuses that fall apart to anyone who knows your post history.

Even our self proclaimed superfans are number 1 in the country in excuses.

Reaction Score
Yes clearly twice the man because you use lame excuses that fall apart to anyone who knows your post history.

Nice pedestal. Keep it going, you're my hero!!

Self proclaimed Super Fan gotta love it. I'm not as big a fan because you go? You can't be that stupid can you whaler - oh "whaler' I get it you are that stupid!

Reaction Score
Who's talking about that though? We're talking about not showing up for essentially a home playoff game against a top 15 team on a Saturday evening.
You're talking about bandwagon fans right? We have a ton of them for the reasons I stated and they don't care about this conference tourney after the season we've had. Whining about it is useless

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A lot of judgements being made here.

Every thread on the board is filled with judgements.

The refs, the players, the league, the opponents, the coaches.

Our overrated hypocritical fanbase doesn't enjoy it when the light is shone on them. Therefore you get excuses, instead of just accepting we have an overrated spoiled fanbase.

Reaction Score

What is you're argument? You recognize we have tons of bandwagon fans yet are losing your mind over not filling the XL for an AAC semi after a losing season? Their aren't enough die hards to fill that place and most people don't spend hours looking at ticket deals and message boards for a way to see a tourney they don't care about.
I think you're just pissed about sports culture in CT which is bananas since it's been like this forever. But congrats on attending yesterday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is you're argument? You recognize we have tons of bandwagon fans yet are losing your mind over not filling the XL for an AAC semi after a losing season? Their aren't enough die hards to fill that place and most people don't spend hours looking at ticket deals and message boards for a way to see a tourney they don't care about.
I think you're just pissed about sports culture in CT which is bananas since it's been like this forever. But congrats on attending yesterday.

I don't have an argument beyond calling our fanbase out for being a pathetic embarrassment.

I know it's not going to change the terrible sports culture.

I'm tired of lame excuses and the lack of support which is going to have a negative impact on the program in the long term.

I'm hardly losing my mind and thanks to you and everyone else who cares enough to pontificate online but not enough to actually turn out to support the team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the main point being made here is that we have a multiple page thread ripping Shaugnessy (spelling?) for saying nobody cares about college basketball in the Northeast, yet we also had around 8k fans in attendance at 50% capacity for a do or die tournament game against a ranked opponent that could be considered our most consistent rival.

I think Shaugnessy's point is overblown a bit, but who's to say he didn't tune in yesterday and draw that conclusion?

I also tend to agree that had this been a bigger tournament (i.e. Big East or ACC) the place would have been packed, but since we're not in that position, we don't have that luxury.

Everyone knows AAC is a death knell for our programs but after 4 years, I'm just shocked at how much we've already gone down in terms of support only three seasons removed from a title.

I have the P5 dream, but I wonder how much more we can sustain this league for basketball specifically.

I wonder if there is anyway to do a ND-lite deal with the ACC to even out their hoops league at 16 and get maybe 4 ACC games a season for football....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom