A couple of post-OK game thoughts | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A couple of post-OK game thoughts

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have the greatest respect for Kia's skills on and off the court and in my mind she has been UConn's MVP so far this season...nothing would please me more then to see her graduate as an AA..my point all along was to say that our little group can sometimes have blinders on when it comes to other team's great players.......

That might have been what you were trying to say but what you actually said first was:

At their best they are all capable of being All Americans but frankly at this point in the season if you simply went by quality of play, I'm not sure that any of UConn's players would be first team AA's, not even sure about second team.....I'm confident that will change as the season progresses....we tend to be so UConn focused that we forget there are many other teams with players that are playing at an equal or higher level right now...

I didn't even have to take off my UCONN colored blinders to see that first statement is just not correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't handle being a leader??
what does that even mean? what is a "leader" in basketball?
  • the player who takes the critical shot? well, then, the defense knows who that's going to be, huh?
  • the player who yells the most? all players yell in the huddle
  • the point guard? not Kia
That's all nuts. Whatever conversation they had about it was descriptive rather than official, just a way of helping her get her emotional balance, but certainly not something that suddenly changed her status in any way. Just more talk coming out of a locker room that gets far more media attention than any other in WCBB

What happened mid-way through her sophomore year is that she hit a streak of horrendous shooting and quite literally was in tears about it. Geno called her out publicly for the tears, and it really transformed her. Her outside shooting steadied (though not her sometimes out-of-control drives) and emotionally she seemed to reach a level that she's never departed from. On the contrary, she has built an incredibly solid emotional base--every bit as reliable as her now amazing outside shot. (Tuesday night, there was a moment when she was open at 22' and the ball swung to her; she didn't shoot it right away, but rather set and then nailed it. Shooting when set, rather than in momentum, is one of the hardest things to do. It shows supreme self-confidence.)

Reaction Score
I looked at the thread to see your reply to nan. I didn't see it. BTW, who told you to shut up?
mfsb22 replied to Nan on page three....sums up my point
Did I say you said shut up? No
i said, the attitude, other than 100% cheerleading, is to keep your comments to yourself

Reaction Score
What I remember was Geno called Kia in and told her she was trying to do to much - that there was no expectation she needed to be the leader, and that she didn’t need to take that burden on herself. I don’t ever remember it being reported that Kia initiated that discussion and said she couln’t handle it...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
mfsb22 replied to Nan on page three....sums up my point
Did I say you said shut up? No
i said, the attitude, other than 100% cheerleading, is to keep your comments to yourself
Lol
Telling someone to shut up is probably against the BY rules.
Telling someone "keep your comments to yourself" is kind of funny on the BY. :eek:

Reaction Score
That might have been what you were trying to say but what you actuall said first was:

I didn't even have to take off my UCONN colored blinders to see that first statement is just not correct.

we will have to agree to disagree..........................for me the two statements don't conflict at all...................Kia's off to a fine start but that doesn't mean that she's close to a lock as a first team AA at this moment in time................heck, I would love it if all six UConn standouts were honored as AAs but that doesn't mean it's going to happen or that they would be deserving above all others.................that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it...................hopefully we can move on without any fireworks................differing opinions are what makes this place so enjoyable!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
upload_2017-12-21_9-32-8.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just a thought. Perhaps using the WNBA draft as a "better" indicator of a player's overall "worth" than AA, it would be very interesting (to me) to see how well AA status translates into the WNBA draft position (especially 1st round) and even looking at correlations to overall WNBA career (ex, fraction of 1st round AA making it in the WNBA 3+ years etc) I know it is at times apples and oranges but it would be interesting to me at least. (Too lazy to do the research myself)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a thought. Perhaps using the WNBA draft as a "better" indicator of a player's overall "worth" than AA, it would be very interesting (to me) to see how well AA status translates into the WNBA draft position (especially 1st round) and even looking at correlations to overall WNBA career (ex, fraction of 1st round AA making it in the WNBA 3+ years etc) I know it is at times apples and oranges but it would be interesting to me at least. (Too lazy to do the research myself)
My guess is you will find as many misses and subjective arguments in draft position as you do with the AA lists.
My example would start with Alaina Coates # 2 WNBA 2017 draft pick who is completely useless more than 8 feet away from the basket with the ball in her hands. If I read one more post about what an WNBA ready body Coates has I'm going to vomit.

Reaction Score
Geno and CD pick the team apart all the time, which is why the program has achieved at a level that no other program has. They are not perfect, and none of us has said we are perfect. When we see something the players did that was great, we cheer them. When we see something the players could have done better, we mention it. That's the fun part of sports is the discussion. If all everybody who posted said was everything is perfect, it would be boring and false. Life is not that way and neither are the UConn women basketball players. Does it bother you when Meg and Rebecca criticize UConn?

Reaction Score
I had to rewrite this as my 1st attempt was taken down.

I have to say this, I wish there was a law that if UCON WBB fans make comments during the games they should be sentenced to 20 years in Leavenworth!
God people wait till the game is over then comment! negative chatter about players and coaches then UCONN wins by 20+ points!
I got back from the game around 10pm, showered and sat down to look at the BONEYARD, first mistake! I started at page 1 through all 14 pages of hate, discontent, disbelief, and overall I thought I was reading about an 8th grade game!
How did Geno & CD win 1,000 games! They really are miracle workers to have even won 1 game with the players that have gone through the program, especially this years players!
BE FANS NOT CRITICS! Give the players and coaches a break, PLEASE!
They don't try to screw up to upset you, they are human and make mistakes or get tired or are sick/injured, and stuff happens!
Enough PLEASE!

Reaction Score
Enough of the everything is perfect. Many people commented that last year when Geno said Lou had no heart, that it crossed a line. Geno, CD and the staff are hard on them, which is why they have won 1,000 faster than any other coach. If a person is a true fan, then they are honest. Yes is my favorite fansband, but some of their music is overindulgent or just bad. That's the truth. I've seen them seventeen times in concert. I don't like all of their music, but I'm still a fan.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

I have to say this, I wish there was a law that if UCON WBB fans make comments during the games they should be sentenced to 20 years in Leavenworth!
God people wait till the game is over then comment! negative chatter about players and coaches then UCONN wins by 20+ points!
I got back from the game around 10pm, showered and sat down to look at the BONEYARD, first mistake! I started at page 1 through all 14 pages of hate, discontent, disbelief, and overall I thought I was reading about an 8th grade game!
How did Geno & CD win 1,000 games! They really are miracle workers to have even won 1 game with the players that have gone through the program, especially this years players!
They don't try to screw up to upset you, they are human and make mistakes or get tired or are sick/injured, and stuff happens!
Enough PLEASE!

RSHERMVIKES, you are a great poster and more important a great Uconn fan. But you have got to realize that some fans are analytic,and some fans are critical. It's just who they are and how they contribute, they still love the team every bit as much as you do. Asking them to stop being who they are is a waste of keystrokes.
So keep on doing what you do and showing us your love for this team. It brings balance to the yard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Enough PLEASE!
@RSHERMVIKES appreciate your passion and much of what you are saying. However, telling someone how to be a fan of any team is like telling adults how to raise their children. In that exchange you will always reach a point where "somebody" will think you are being too intrusive. I agree that some (not most) of the comments during the game are dead wrong, mean spirited, & negative. Overwhelmingly these comments are harmless. It would be like me complaining about your overuse of the exclamation point in your post. That is intrusive & obnoxious but since it is grammatically correct-where is the harm? Merry Christmas. Don’t ever let someone else steal your joy of watching this team perform.

Reaction Score
RSHERMVIKES, thank you. I want UConn to succeed just like all the other people who post. If you ask those posters who post "negative" comments, they want the team to succeed as much as anyone.

Reaction Score
I think what upsets me most is the majority of people with their ultra negative comments, at the end of the game apologize for those comments, then the next game it is a repeat performance.

Reaction Score
I don't apologize for my view of the game. It is not the same as anyone else's, but it is my view.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What I remember was Geno called Kia in and told her she was trying to do to much - that there was no expectation she needed to be the leader, and that she didn’t need to take that burden on herself. I don’t ever remember it being reported that Kia initiated that discussion and said she couln’t handle it...
I agree with what you are saying but Kia stated that she did not want that responsibility at that time. Soon after Geno talked to her about that she relaxed and played better. I'm not making this up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The "usual dismissal" is if someone ( I made no comment on the game) says (ie)KLS had a bad shooting night...the reply would be..we won the game by 24 points and we have won 11 National championships, and 157-2, so basically "Shut up"
As for the "well thought out" was , staying with the above example, a shooting % might be given.
There was a better example of ny point as a reply to HuskyNAN
So, what you’re saying is that you don’t want anyone to disagree with you

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
they should be sentenced to 20 years in Leavenworth!

Leavenworth, WA is lovely, certainly would not be a punishment to be sent there. It's also really close to Cashmere, so you could check out some of Hailey Van Lith's games during your enforced stay.

Reaction Score
So, what you’re saying is that you don’t want anyone to disagree with you
no, its the form or the tone....ie that people that disagree with you have no right to that opinion. Other boards are way more accepting

Reaction Score
You need to stop making excuses for KLS. She has not been favoring her ankle. She is not the only one who had trouble on defense but she was the subject of the post.

LOL oh that’s what you thought, what a shame I was too subtle, no excuses for KLS, I was actually pointing out that you say stuff about her but not your fav player, who also had some defensive issues as a lot of players do but that you only call out other players for doing stuff when you feel like it and not very evenly across the team. But that’s OK knock yourself out but then again I will also point out that all these girls try their best, while dealing with injuries, illness and all kinds of things we are probably not privy too.

Btw where did Kia say she didn’t want to be a leader?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't had much time on your question as I'm tending to my daughter who had knee surgery yesterday..thankfully just meniscus tear no ACL/MCL issues......don't even remember exactly who the non UConn players were in starting five but off the top of my head Kalani Brown, Aja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Arike Ogunbawle, Sabrina Ionescu, Victoria Vivians and Asia Durr have been outstanding so far.....I know I'm missing forwards.gotta work on that..
Knee surgery isn't a scraped elbow---I'm sure she's a tough kid, but a kid she is--thanks for doing the right thing and tending to your OWN. Uconn and recruits can wait. Give her the warmth and heart felt sorrow for her current condition--as my wife jabs at me time to time: This too shall pass

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom