A couple of post-OK game thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A couple of post-OK game thoughts

Reaction Score
Last night I re-watched the game knowing the outcome so the uncertainty was not there. I had complained about the officials. Close viewing showed they actually did a very good job, didn't miss much, and called a fairly even game. My bad there. The game in review was very well played. Sure there were stretches where shots were not falling which happens for most teams during a game. I totally agree the TO that Geno called was well timed and worked out well. OK played well but when a player got hot a different defender (usually Kia) moved to guard that player and the bleeding stopped. Z can be an offensive force BUT currently is a liability on defense. Her man often cancels out her scoring. She tends to float around still uncertain were to be. That will come in time. Seems to play much more aggressively when she is the designated scoring option. Only 9 games this year - it takes time to gel and have everyone on the same page.

One thing I had not noticed the first time watching - UConn wore white. Don't they usually wear gray for 'Home' games away from the college?

The team played far better when watching a second time! :)

Reaction Score
I think they are a really,really good offensive team, with players who can score in so many different ways. Could be one of the best shooting group of players they have ever had on the floor at one time. How many of them can shoot the three, how many of them can shoot a real jump shot, how many of them can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket? Many,many,many. Gotta say, though, that I don't see them as a shut-down defensive group that has always been a trademark of the best UConn teams. Individually, they do some pretty spectacular things at times, but team defense is different.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes during the pre-game and post-game press conferences. Geno did his part. The problem with Sylvia's game was that it was played in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon during the holiday season. Was there even TV coverage? UConn's game on the other hand was nationally broadcast in prime time, so of course there was going to be way more coverage of Geno's 1,000th.
I didn't mean to imply any snub, I just knew that Geno would salute Hatchell but I hadn't come across it yet. UNC probably should have added a cupcake home game to their early schedule.

Reaction Score
I think they are a really,really good offensive team, with players who can score in so many different ways. Could be one of the best shooting group of players they have ever had on the floor at one time. How many of them can shoot the three, how many of them can shoot a real jump shot, how many of them can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket? Many,many,many. Gotta say, though, that I don't see them as a shut-down defensive group that has always been a trademark of the best UConn teams. Individually, they do some pretty spectacular things at times, but team defense is different.
Good points. Love every UConn team from Geno's first year on but the biggest difference between last year/this year's team and the Mo/Stewie team is that Mo and Stewie were not only great offensive players but could take their opponents out of game. Regarding Zinethar's comment that "Z is a liability on defense," don't fully agree. Geno needs to clean up her shot blocking technique since she frequently comes down with her arms and fouls. She often can be pushed out of the way down low but seems to be getting the message to be more physical. That being said, those long arms often get in the way of shots that others couldn't touch. Still a great weapon.

Reaction Score
As I said in another post, Katie Lou was the epitome of and up and down night, as did the team. Katie Lou's my favorite, but too many times Oklahoma got her off her feet on defense. Game film will highlight this. Always stay on the floor. Don't go for the fake as I was told. Not always easy to do.
Seemed like OK got everyone off their feet at times last night. Much better team than anticipated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

upload_2017-12-20_15-18-37.jpeg

Exactly the lack of outstanding individual defenders and the lack of cohesive team defense for this team is problematic . In both the ND and OK games Geno had to employ zone defense to stem the tide of run. That hurts Geno to his soul but he had no other choices.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree strongly. At this point in the season Azura and Kia would easily be first AA based on the quality of play.
KLS has missed a bunch of games, Gabby has not been her dominate self and Napheesa is shooting at a lower percentage than last year, but name a player (Not on last year's 1st Team AA) that is playing better basketball?
Coco-all good points. Have to add that KLS is not as quick a defensive player since her injury, still dominate on offense. Since coming back has scored 10-15 points each 1st half then not needed as much later on. Great passing, many times giving up shots so others could score. It would be scary to have her on most other teams where the entire offense revolves around her. Suspect most opponents game plan for her more than others.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Suspect most opponents game plan for her more than others.

I keep seeing comments similar to this. Not sure that I buy into it. Both last year and this year, UConn has had so many potent scorers that it makes it really hard to game plan for just one player. You leave Nurse or Dangerfield w/ some space and they are going to drill 3's all day. Collier can wreak havoc, so can Stevens. Gabby seems a bit off this year but last season she showed what she can do. It's a pick your poison kind of thing, but I'd be willing to bet some coaches are more concerned about UConn's scoring in the post than they are about Samuelson.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I keep seeing comments similar to this. Not sure that I buy into it. Both last year and this year, UConn has had so many potent scorers that it makes it really hard to game plan for just one player. You leave Nurse or Dangerfield w/ some space and they are going to drill 3's all day. Collier can wreak havoc, so can Stevens. Gabby seems a bit off this year but last season she showed what she can do. It's a pick your poison kind of thing, but I'd be willing to bet some coaches are more concerned about UConn's scoring in the post than they are about Samuelson.
I don't think it has been THE ENTIRE game plan but for two years now part of every credible game plan against UCONN has been to stop KLS by being physical with her. It was definitely part of the OK game plan, the very first time KLS cut down the lane (UCONN 3rd Posession) she was bumped, the next time she was held. They didn't get around to calling a fould on KLS's defender until 3rd quarter of the game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't think it has been THE ENTIRE game plan but for two years now part of every credible game plan against UCONN has been to stop KLS by being physical with her. It was definitely part of the OK game plan, the very first time KLS cut down the lane (UCONN 3rd Posession) she was bumped, the next time she was held. They didn't get around to calling a fould on KLS's defender until 3rd quarter of the game.
I agree that they are beating her up and a lot is missed. Like when one of her 3 point attempts was "blocked" by Maddie, according to Debbie, when in effect it appears that she was hit on the forearm and face.
And something I noticed about the refs: it seemed to me that the men called almost every one of the fouls whereas the woman ref called only violations no matter where on the court she was positioned. Seemed weird.

Reaction Score
Please humor me. I had to watch -- not listen to, but watch -- the game at a local sports bar. Luckily I found one where the clientele were harmless, unlike the last sports bar I found for a game. But that's another story, as they say.

So tonight, focusing on watching, not listening, a couple of observations:

Gabby is a wonderful player, but seems to be more part of the ensemble than she was last year, when she absolutely stood out. She's still probably the most athletic player in WCBB, but she does not seem as spectacular now.

I've always admired Katie Lou's play, but generally thought that in past games I've watched, she was not the star. Not tonight. She was wonderful, whether shooting 3s, driving to the basket or grabbing rebounds. Nobody did it better.

Oklahoma is better than their record, by a lot, in my opinion. While the did not have the horses to stay with UConn for the whole game, they did a number of things on offense that UConn, at least initially, did not have answers for. They have decent size and certainly can get physical. Anyway, they should be OK in league play.

Is anyone else really happy with the short amount of time it has taken for Azura to become absolutely reliable? She does lots of nice things around the basket, knows how to work the high-low and even makes a three once in a while.

Some or all of these probably were discussed in the game thread. But I have found that I cannot do the game thread and the game at the same time, at least not when the instrument for communicating is a phone. So, as I said, please forgive what may be repetition, and take these thoughts for whatever they're worth.

Thank you TomCat!! Thanks for the good word for a great Coach in her own right, who listened to Geno as she started, a good school from a great state.
Along with that --you are correct on Gabby--oooh how she shall be missed, she is nothing short of amazing. Katie Lou to me is always great--. Azura, I wondered how she'd fit in--she is a perfect fit, she could be Uconn born and bred--she is a Uconn type kid and player...

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Third row sideline seat near the basket (Behind the OK bench, which was interesting. They came with about 20 fans) Havent watched the replay, so a few observations.
OK was very physical. I was astounded by how many non-calls I saw in the paint. L-P (#0) especially repeatedly plowed over players. It seemed as if the refs were only calling arm fouls. This was a huge disadvantage to Gabby as she picked up fouls with her arms akimbo style (some legit and some questionable) L-P, meanwhile simply pushed over people and often got away with it. I thought she could have gotten twice the fouls.
I thought it was a learning experience for the defense as they had difficulties at times. Funny how your perception can be at odds with reality - I thought the offense had issues, but the numbers dont look bad.
Overall, I thought the team in this game looked like what we expected last year. They just dont have the flow and crispness that surprised many last year. Yet.

OldAlum: I saw much of what you saw --and the lack of call from many on OU's team. Pierre-Louis--Vioneis (love that name), is physical, plays the same in every game--bulls her way into shooting range--she's good, better when the refs fail to make calls. I've seen a few OU games, physical or not, this was the best total game they put together.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'll agree being physical w/ Samuelson when defending her is a recurring theme. Stewie got a lot of the same treatment didn't she?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that they are beating her up and a lot is missed. Like when one of her 3 point attempts was "blocked" by Maddie, according to Debbie, when in effect it appears that she was hit on the forearm and face.
And something I noticed about the refs: it seemed to me that the men called almost every one of the fouls whereas the woman ref called only violations no matter where on the court she was positioned. Seemed weird.
KLS is and has been getting beat up and she was definitely fouled on that three point attempt. I'm not willing to go as far as you did however, I don't notice any difference depending on the gender of the refs. I see good and bad refs of both gender calling these games.

Reaction Score
Reliable? Stevens is the BEST player on the team right now! The scary thing is, she is only going to get better as she continues to get comfortable in the UConn offense. She has the potential to completely dominate games at times.
Not sure there really is a " best player on the team, right now." I know why you said that, and Azura deserves all the praise you give her. She is emerging into an unstoppable force, on the boards, in the paint and, hopefully, from the arc. But Katie Lou is a warrior with
all-around talent, too. And, when trouble surfaces, Kia Nurse is the person you want in your foxhole. Crystal just seems like the best point guard in the nation already, and her shooting is so improved that it is destroying the morale of our opponents ( my opinion). And then there is Pheesa....perhaps the best pure basketball player on the team ( I shouldn't be using the term " best" should I ?). And Gabby, the most superb athlete, capable of domination. By March, we may also be saying how amazing Megan Walker is ( we have already seen some signs). My point is; the team has players capable of taking over the game and giving UCONN the winning edge, at any time. And it is hard ( though fun ) to single out one player and identify that person as " the best." I agree, however, that watching Azura play is jaw dropping. She gets exponentially better every game. We are really lucky.

Reaction Score
Reliable? Stevens is the BEST player on the team right now! The scary thing is, she is only going to get better as she continues to get comfortable in the UConn offense. She has the potential to completely dominate games at times.
I

I could agree Azura Stevens is on of 6 top players on this Uconn WBB team--that is an easy assessment. The BEST????? That's like saying my brick house is safe because of the top most brick---which of these Uconn Bricks do you pull out without destroying the whole framework?? What is the team without Gabby, Kia, Danger, Precious or KLS
I'm more than pleased Azura is a Husky, I strongly believe without her the road to another NC may not happen. Sorry, @TitleTown, you are usually right, but this time--my emotions kick in--cuz they are ALL the BEST..

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I saw Katie Lou's head snap back on that 3 point attempt "block," figured she got hit. Don't know how the refs missed that one.

Oklahoma was in Seattle for 1st/2nd round Tourney games last year. I went to both games. VPL for the Sooners dominated Gonzaga in the 1st round game, but against the Huskies she got stonewalled by Chantel Osahor, VPL was a complete non-factor. Osahor did the same thing the year before against Maryland and Brionna Jones. She was an underrated defender.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can I like this two or three or ten more times?

So far this season:

9 games, 4 ranked teams and 3 "others receiving votes"
5 games outside Connecticut
26.4 - avg margin of victory
10 (10!) players averaging double digit scoring
5 players averaging 3+ assists per game (CD with 5.6)
5 different players that have led the team in scoring

BTW, poor Napheesa only put up 21 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks last night. Kid is still not playing well, according to some here.

I think it's important that folks who don't always see the bottle half (or more) full
are encouraged to voice their concerns.

All of the above quantitative positives, still allowed for a very shaky start of the 3rd quarter; the negatives of which were much more than poor marksmanship.

I remember, not so long ago on another board, a contributor put up a similar set, to which I replied, that despite the positive statistics, the team seemed ripe for an upset.

Like last night, a loss to ND didn't happen, but I haven't had such unsettling sensations since the St John's season and the Notre Dame losses. the former of which I also telegraphed to much amusement and derision at the time

The board can be just an uncritical cheer-leader but that would be sad and boring. I agree that jumping all over individuals is not productive and I try not to do it, being a generalist, attempting to view the team through a wide-angle lens.

And right now, I see a team that for all the wonderful pieces, has not yet discovered
a clear identity; that is somewhat limited by the unanticipated lack of growth of our #2 and 3 sophs, and a slower than usual development of the freshman class, for which we had such high hopes. And can be taken off their game by controlled aggression.

That only six (one absentee) were deemed ready to play against a team outside of the top-25 is not overwhelming positive.

That the team has the ability and talent to overcome these hiccups is without question. And even if things do not significantly change, they still may get by on sheer talent alone.

But vintage UConn BB is not yet consistently present. During the Stewie/Tuck/Mo years, they could cut the heart out of their opponents often just by showing up.
And even earlier, strong teams, virtually with a similar degree of talent going at them, would find themselves (metaphorically) smacked in the face...
What I miss is controlled aggression along with finesse.
Enjoy Christmas in Connecticut for an example.

Ding Dong.

Reaction Score
Just back from the game.
I sat upstairs in the corner, perfect view of the court; great arena to see a game.

I thought it was a strange game, in a slightly strange season.
UConn let Sherri's team hang around. Like other teams this season, they weren't intimidated and possessed decent skills, fought and hung around. In the 3rd quarter they did more than that and fought back to -7 and the thought started seeping around the arena that UConn could actually lose and spoil the party.
At that point, Geno took put a slightly rattled Dangerfield and order was restored.

Although it probably hardly shows in the box (wrong 10 rebounds, 8 assists)...Gabby's fight and intensity was the difference. She willed the team to perform and they started to.

At the end of the 3rd and through much of the 4th, the teams passing and patience brought makable shots in the paint and some beautiful BB ensued.

So why the lapses? Why the lack of a killer instinct?
Hard to say, but I'll take a crack...Pheesa still loses concentration on D (esp 1st quarter) and lets her man escape for an easy shot. For a lot of the game Nurse disappeared on O. One problem for Z: as the ball sails around the perimeter; it takes her a bit longer to figure out what to do with the ball than the others...and the O grinds to a halt. But not when she's the recipient of a pass in her scoring zone.

Looking at what I just wrote above...that's not it...Those things happened but the essence is simpler.

What it is is this team is just a bit soft, has trouble playing with the kind of purpose and intensity we're used to.
Expects to win and surprised when other teams don't role over.
Well, they're not going to. You can finesse all you like but the opponents will punch you in the mouth (like what happened to Gabby today)...
The Huskies have to find their inner toughness
Everyone's going to come after them.

Some of what you say I agree with: But SOFT?? What you are seeing is a team that knows each game is in the bag. This is a tough team. When they play a top 5 team you shall see them dig deep and put them away--which of the players is soft? Kia? Danger? Gabby? (plays when she is miserable with headaches) KLS (she plays while gimping, or vomiting), Napheesa?, Azura--(these 2 are human punching bags in every game) SOFT?? Hardly. Killing instinct--maybe, Geno has had that problem with other great teams.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree strongly. At this point in the season Azura and Kia would easily be first AA based on the quality of play.
KLS has missed a bunch of games, Gabby has not been her dominat self and Napheesa is shooting at a lower percentage than last year, but name a player (Not on last year's 1st Team AA) that is playing better basketball?

I haven't had much time on your question as I'm tending to my daughter who had knee surgery yesterday.......thankfully just meniscus tear no ACL/MCL issues...........don't even remember exactly who the non UConn players were in starting five but off the top of my head Kalani Brown, Aja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Arike Ogunbawle, Sabrina Ionescu, Victoria Vivians and Asia Durr have been outstanding so far.....I know I'm missing forwards......gotta work on that.......

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven't had much time on your question as I'm tending to my daughter who had knee surgery yesterday..thankfully just meniscus tear no ACL/MCL issues......don't even remember exactly who the non UConn players were in starting five but off the top of my head Kalani Brown, Aja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Arike Ogunbawle, Sabrina Ionescu, Victoria Vivians and Asia Durr have been outstanding so far.....I know I'm missing forwards.gotta work on that..

Yes. UConn has some outstanding players, but there are other outstanding players across the country playing for some other teams.

Reaction Score
Watching Marquette take ND to overtime makes me feel like our Team played pretty well last night!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My thoughts - Packed to the rafters arena
Exciting player intro with the phonelight thing
Samuelson was hot early and late but she got used several times on
D. She looked gassed late in the game
Dangerfield an off night
Williams couldn't buy a basket but she was very productive
elsewhere
The team stunk up much of the 3rd quarter
OU was up for the game
As others have said UConn players were bouncing off VPL
like she was a trampoline.
Mohegan Sun is the best venue in the area.

Bumped into Ann Strother and family (husband and two little ones) in Denali. She looks great. Not a day older than when she was dropping 3s for UConn. She's kept in shape unlike some of the UConn alums.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think it's important that folks who don't always see the bottle half (or more) full
are encouraged to voice their concerns.

All of the above quantitative positives, still allowed for a very shaky start of the 3rd quarter; the negatives of which were much more than poor marksmanship.

I remember, not so long ago on another board, a contributor put up a similar set, to which I replied, that despite the positive statistics, the team seemed ripe for an upset.

Like last night, a loss to ND didn't happen, but I haven't had such unsettling sensations since the St John's season and the Notre Dame losses. the former of which I also telegraphed to much amusement and derision at the time

The board can be just an uncritical cheer-leader but that would be sad and boring. I agree that jumping all over individuals is not productive and I try not to do it, being a generalist, attempting to view the team through a wide-angle lens.

And right now, I see a team that for all the wonderful pieces, has not yet discovered
a clear identity; that is somewhat limited by the unanticipated lack of growth of our #2 and 3 sophs, and a slower than usual development of the freshman class, for which we had such high hopes. And can be taken off their game by controlled aggression.

That only six (one absentee) were deemed ready to play against a team outside of the top-25 is not overwhelming positive.

That the team has the ability and talent to overcome these hiccups is without question. And even if things do not significantly change, they still may get by on sheer talent alone.

But vintage UConn BB is not yet consistently present. During the Stewie/Tuck/Mo years, they could cut the heart out of their opponents often just by showing up.
And even earlier, strong teams, virtually with a similar degree of talent going at them, would find themselves (metaphorically) smacked in the face...
What I miss is controlled aggression along with finesse.
Enjoy Christmas in Connecticut for an example.

Ding Dong.

If it were late February, I would be more concerned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom