A couple of post-OK game thoughts | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A couple of post-OK game thoughts

Reaction Score
I can't handle being a leader??
what does that even mean? what is a "leader" in basketball?
  • the player who takes the critical shot? well, then, the defense knows who that's going to be, huh?
  • the player who yells the most? all players yell in the huddle
  • the point guard? not Kia
That's all nuts. Whatever conversation they had about it was descriptive rather than official, just a way of helping her get her emotional balance, but certainly not something that suddenly changed her status in any way. Just more talk coming out of a locker room that gets far more media attention than any other in WCBB

What happened mid-way through her sophomore year is that she hit a streak of horrendous shooting and quite literally was in tears about it. Geno called her out publicly for the tears, and it really transformed her. Her outside shooting steadied (though not her sometimes out-of-control drives) and emotionally she seemed to reach a level that she's never departed from. On the contrary, she has built an incredibly solid emotional base--every bit as reliable as her now amazing outside shot. (Tuesday night, there was a moment when she was open at 22' and the ball swung to her; she didn't shoot it right away, but rather set and then nailed it. Shooting when set, rather than in momentum, is one of the hardest things to do. It shows supreme self-confidence.)

Yet
one of the toughest things he had to teach Mel Thomas was make that shot in motion not just when set.
To answer your What is a leader in Basketball: They come in all sizes and shapes and emotions. Sue, quiet but demanding and tough and loud when needed. DT--brash, bawdy, and often led by example, Moriah--led by both of these and led by determination, and confidence, Danger is leading by being really good at her job and presenting an aura of confidence--with precise passing (mostly). Kia does it with much of the above and add the qualities she learned on the ice--toughness: tough of body and mind. Which is the best --they all were/are.

Reaction Score
This team has the potential to be one of Geno's best. They aren't there yet. In the first half of the third quarter nothing was going in the basket for them and they started to become frazzled (panicked?) and looked like they were playing not to lose. I'm sure thoughts of Mississippi State reared their ugly heads.

The time out Geno called was absolutely necessary and giving Crystal a little pine time at that juncture to settle her down was just what the doctor ordered. They got themselves back on track and finished the third quarter with a 13 to 2 run I believe. After that there was no doubt as to the outcome. A good finish against a tough opponent making the adjustments needed to ensure a victory. They need these challenges.

Oklahoma played very well. They did not play like the team that lost four games in a row. Kudos to Coach Coale for turning them around.
Kia brought them back under control in the third.

Reaction Score
The bolded point is technically not correct since both Duke and MD were top 15 teams that Sabrina took down last year in the tournament.
Sabrina is a terrific player having a terrific season so far. So far Sabrina is not having a better season than Kia Nurse. No NCAA guard is having a better season than Kia Nurse so far. Consider that Kia is shooting the ball at a historical clip, the schedule that UCONN has played, and her impact on the defensive side of the ball.

But last year shouldn't have anything to do with this year for our conversation. If you and charlie want to include last year's NCAA's vs this year -- that's fine. My narrative was this year. And so far this year Ionescu has not led her to beat any team in the top 15.

Reaction Score
I was making the point that I fully expect UConn's AA's from last year to be in the running by the end of the season because as of today, I don't know that Gabby, Napheesa or KLS would be front runners...is EFG% the only stat that is significant to the AA committee? How they make their decisions is somewhat of a mystery to me......as for Arike, I'll let the ND boys fight for her place as an AA..

You mean others can quote fg% but I can't quote EFG%? To add to that, isn't nearly every player evaluated in some manner how they shoot the ball? So when we speak of how well COllier shot the ball last year or how well Lou or KML from a ways back shoots the ball- their overall efficiency was irrelevant? Are you trying to say in debates of all-americans or other great players, you never valued shooting efficiency?

Heck you also saw Kia Nurse take over running the team as a pg vs Oklahoma when UCONN got threatened. So for her to get some appropriate recognition she needs to become less efficient and more of a ballhog?

Heck-- Bill Russell gets torn down by many for his shooting efficiency.

I'd welcome a ND poster try to tell me how Og is better AS OF THIS MOMENT than Kia duirng the 2018-2018 season. They would be wrong to do so.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
We all agree with you about Geno/CD and their amazing accomplishments.
If someone on this board wants to comment about a game/ play or other item, let them. Too many people on this board want to censure what they perceive to be "negative" comments. Most of these basketball comments are pretty well thought out and deserve more than the usual dismissal by the same people on here.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the process of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."
--Justice Louis Brandeis

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I saw a clip of UNC game = SH 1000. There appeared to be three people in the stands from the camera's angle. I am sure there had to be 300. Just a bad time for her 1000th win.
I too was struck by the image of a vast expanse of empty seats. Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
I have the greatest respect for Kia's skills on and off the court and in my mind she has been UConn's MVP so far this season...nothing would please me more then to see her graduate as an AA..my point all along was to say that our little group can sometimes have blinders on when it comes to other team's great players.......

I agree charlie-- and please don't take this wrong way. I have great respect for you. Great respect. :) But you know it also goes the other way as well, right? Overall we tend to get spoiled, don't we? It's almost embarrassing how great this program has been over-the years, isn't it? At some points vs some teams don't you sometimes root for the other team sometimes to make some shots? If so, why? For example, very few if nay want to see an opposing team "give up" after a short amount of time.

What if someone's style is to always look for fault (which is fine. We've all had bosses that are tough that are great people but more critical, right?) or the ones that are so nervous?

So for the ones that like to complain/be critical, the ones that are naturally extremely nervous watching close games that they can't enjoy a tight game yet conversely feel very bad for the other team during a beat-down, or the ones that are embarrassed by how amazing the team is-- they might tend to bend over backwards in an attempt to show off they are being fair, right?

Reaction Score
The game was fun to be part of. I though Oklahoma played hard. They had lost three players with injurys before season started.
Gabby's game has changed this year due to headaches. She has no offense other than drivening to basket. Her 15 foot shot she does not take now. She creates fouls outside of ten feet that senior should not be making. Hopefully the poor competition of American Conference will get her comfortable.
Dont blame Gabby play on her headaches because if that was the case her HOF coach would sit her! Injuries are part of the game people. Stop treating the players like girls and treat them like basketball players! Again between the lines they are basketball players first!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's tough to do ; when it's lapping at your elbows.

@BroadwayVa : How many times have I told you about:

rix.jpeg

Reaction Score
I agree charlie-- and please don't take this wrong way. I have great respect for you. Great respect. :) But you know it also goes the other way as well, right? Overall we tend to get spoiled, don't we? It's almost embarrassing how great this program has been over-the years, isn't it? At some points vs some teams don't you sometimes root for the other team sometimes to make some shots? If so, why? For example, very few if nay want to see an opposing team "give up" after a short amount of time.

So for the ones that like to complain/be critical, the ones that are naturally extremely nervous watching close games that they can't enjoy a tight game yet conversely feel very bad for the other team during a beat-down, or the ones that are embarrassed by how amazing the team is-- they might tend to bend over backwards in an attempt to show off they are being fair, right?

We are indeed a very spoiled group.................what other team can you root for college or pro where winning is an almost absolute certainty and where the expectation to destroy the opposition is presumed whether it's the number two team in the nation or the two hundredth.............to say that this leads to high expectations is an understatement................

Reaction Score
I think it's important that folks who don't always see the bottle half (or more) full
are encouraged to voice their concerns.

All of the above quantitative positives, still allowed for a very shaky start of the 3rd quarter; the negatives of which were much more than poor marksmanship.

I remember, not so long ago on another board, a contributor put up a similar set, to which I replied, that despite the positive statistics, the team seemed ripe for an upset.

Like last night, a loss to ND didn't happen, but I haven't had such unsettling sensations since the St John's season and the Notre Dame losses. the former of which I also telegraphed to much amusement and derision at the time

The board can be just an uncritical cheer-leader but that would be sad and boring. I agree that jumping all over individuals is not productive and I try not to do it, being a generalist, attempting to view the team through a wide-angle lens.

And right now, I see a team that for all the wonderful pieces, has not yet discovered
a clear identity; that is somewhat limited by the unanticipated lack of growth of our #2 and 3 sophs, and a slower than usual development of the freshman class, for which we had such high hopes. And can be taken off their game by controlled aggression.

That only six (one absentee) were deemed ready to play against a team outside of the top-25 is not overwhelming positive.

That the team has the ability and talent to overcome these hiccups is without question. And even if things do not significantly change, they still may get by on sheer talent alone.

But vintage UConn BB is not yet consistently present. During the Stewie/Tuck/Mo years, they could cut the heart out of their opponents often just by showing up.
And even earlier, strong teams, virtually with a similar degree of talent going at them, would find themselves (metaphorically) smacked in the face...
What I miss is controlled aggression along with finesse.
Enjoy Christmas in Connecticut for an example.

Ding Dong.

I agree with most of what you write above. Uconn/Geno and company is working to work in at least 2 newbies maybe 3 maybe more. There will be early bumps and we have to allow them to happen---what can we do about it except moan??? The fun of watching the new kidz is to watch them improve--some improve game to game, some have to do it in jumps. AEH to me made a JUMP--Walker walked to each new level she's that smooth.
Tearing a Uconn kid apart isn't great--but being critical of one's team is not a mortal sin for Fans. Unless we are personal--these kids have heard what we say and much much more from Geno.
I'm a glass half full--cuz I drank the other half. That has a way of keeping this fellow mellow.
We are speaking of Ginger ale aren't we??

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
This team has the potential to be one of Geno's best. They aren't there yet. In the first half of the third quarter nothing was going in the basket for them and they started to become frazzled (panicked?) and looked like they were playing not to lose. I'm sure thoughts of Mississippi State reared their ugly heads.

The time out Geno called was absolutely necessary and giving Crystal a little pine time at that juncture to settle her down was just what the doctor ordered. They got themselves back on track and finished the third quarter with a 13 to 2 run I believe. After that there was no doubt as to the outcome. A good finish against a tough opponent making the adjustments needed to ensure a victory. They need these challenges.

Oklahoma played very well. They did not play like the team that lost four games in a row. Kudos to Coach Coale for turning them around.

Oklahoma Played VERY physical and should have MANY more fouls Knock several UCONN players down HARD !

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
no, its the form or the tone....ie that people that disagree with you have no right to that opinion. Other boards are way more accepting
Then meet us on the other boards and we can chop it up there. Tomorrow good for you?

Reaction Score
no, its the form or the tone....ie that people that disagree with you have no right to that opinion. Other boards are way more accepting

I don't agree with a thing you've said. You have every right to express an opinion. People have every right to disagree with your opinion too. IMO you are way too thin-skinned; complaining about the tone (as long as it isn't personally insulting) of other posters that don't share your opinion.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with a thing you've said. You have every right to express an opinion. People have every right to disagree with your opinion too. IMO you are way too thin-skinned; complaining about the tone (as long as it isn't personally insulting) of other posters that don't share your opinion.
Please read Nans post and reply on the "Unabashedly Positive" thread, she speaks well to this issue. Your reply to me , I think proves my point.

Reaction Score
Please read Nans post and reply on the "Unabashedly Positive" thread, she speaks well to this issue. Your reply to me , I think proves my point.

It sort of proves my point. you're thin-skinned and -- further you imagine things.

I know - I'm so terrible. Poor you you can't post without seeing ghosts that scare you around each corner.

Hey just ignore me as I'm about to ignore you. You're such a whiner - spoiled that you don't have people agree with you.

Please don't post to me ever again. I won't post to you either. You see how good this site is? Our posts weren't so bad toward one another and we never have to read or post to other ever again. Yet I know somehow you'll twist this into "poor you . . ."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom