A couple of post-OK game thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A couple of post-OK game thoughts

Reaction Score
Kia hasn't graduated yet. Seriously, we all have our favorites but if we include defensive prowess, Kia has to be in the conversation. I believe she's the best defensive player on the team and this should count for something. I know there are others on this board who agree with me. She'll be missed big time next year for a lot of reasons but her steadiness and ability to calm the team down in the midst of chaos will be at the top of the list.

I probably mentioned this before somewhere, but I remember last summer when the team was in Italy and Kia was in South America with the Canadian National Team. They finished their games, Kia jumped on a plane for the long flight to Europe, and played as soon as she arrived. My reaction was a genuine "Thank goodness, Kia is back. All is well". Others may have better skills (although I could argue that I suppose), but no-one brings the intangibles she does. She's a combination of the Energizer Bunny and Chucky - always on and don't mess with her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was kind of a strange game for Katie Lou. Started out red hot, looked like she might be on her way to another 10-10 behind the arc kind of performance. But then she went ice cold, couldn't hit anything, including free throws, in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Well into the 4th quarter she had a flurry where she scored 7 points in about a minute. So...she played great during a couple of short stretches, but not so much in between.

Stevens and Collier really stood out to me. Nurse had a strong 2nd half.

I consider Stevens as really a 6th starter, so w/ Walker unavailable UConn officially has no bench. Nobody else entered the game til there were 90 seconds left, and Samuelson and Nurse both logged 39 minutes.

I guess you only care about scoring and not passing, Gabby and KLS dished out 14 assists last night both dealing with other stuff and while getting hit hard and whacked in the face.

Reaction Score
Samuelson had some defensive problems in the first half. Manning was giving her a tough time. She did play better in the fourth quarter.

You mean no one else did ;) and no one else who did, had a bad ankle.

Reaction Score
The strange thing about what you say about Nurse is that she struggled at the beginning of last season because she did not want that responsibility. The responsibility of leading the team and calming it.

All players struggle, no one is exempt from that just look at the final four game.

Reaction Score
I abandoned the game thread for a long time. Why, because some few show up with regularity to take ill informed pot shots at a couple of players. Tiresome. Boorish. Wrong.
THIS

I agree Rocky. Whenever a few posters get the chance they will pick apart a player when they can.

We are very lucky. They are winning and our team is not at full strength. All the players are working hard. Can you imagine what they can do when they are all healthy and they get more time in practice and games without having to deal with injuries, illness and finals etc. Sure you could argue that there is always things to deal with but they seem to have a lot to deal with at this current time and they are still out there giving their all and winning.

Reaction Score
Reliable? Stevens is the BEST player on the team right now! The scary thing is, she is only going to get better as she continues to get comfortable in the UConn offense. She has the potential to completely dominate games at times.
Great to have Stevens on team. Loved that after getting pushed around the first few times on defense, she started to get more physical. If she starts training with Crystal's team and puts more muscle on, look out next year.

Reaction Score
Just back from the game.
I sat upstairs in the corner, perfect view of the court; great arena to see a game.

I thought it was a strange game, in a slightly strange season.
UConn let Sherri's team hang around. Like other teams this season, they weren't intimidated and possessed decent skills, fought and hung around. In the 3rd quarter they did more than that and fought back to -7 and the thought started seeping around the arena that UConn could actually lose and spoil the party.
At that point, Geno took put a slightly rattled Dangerfield and order was restored.

Although it probably hardly shows in the box (wrong 10 rebounds, 8 assists)...Gabby's fight and intensity was the difference. She willed the team to perform and they started to.

At the end of the 3rd and through much of the 4th, the teams passing and patience brought makable shots in the paint and some beautiful BB ensued.

So why the lapses? Why the lack of a killer instinct?
Hard to say, but I'll take a crack...Pheesa still loses concentration on D (esp 1st quarter) and lets her man escape for an easy shot. For a lot of the game Nurse disappeared on O. One problem for Z: as the ball sails around the perimeter; it takes her a bit longer to figure out what to do with the ball than the others...and the O grinds to a halt. But not when she's the recipient of a pass in her scoring zone.

Looking at what I just wrote above...that's not it...Those things happened but the essence is simpler.

What it is is this team is just a bit soft, has trouble playing with the kind of purpose and intensity we're used to.
Expects to win and surprised when other teams don't role over.
Well, they're not going to. You can finesse all you like but the opponents will punch you in the mouth (like what happened to Gabby today)...
The Huskies have to find their inner toughness
Everyone's going to come after them.
Surprising comments. I looked at game as positive. UConn took a good team's best punch, changed both defensive and offensive strategies, and blew them away at end of game only using 6 players (several of which were in foul trouble). One of Geno's better coaching games. Shows UConn can play several different ways.

Reaction Score
As I said in another post, Katie Lou was the epitome of and up and down night, as did the team. Katie Lou's my favorite, but too many times Oklahoma got her off her feet on defense. Game film will highlight this. Always stay on the floor. Don't go for the fake as I was told. Not always easy to do.

Reaction Score
I probably won't convince you, but over the past 4 games for Stevens and 3 for Samuelson(she was hurt) here are their stats.

Stevens is shooting 71% and averaging 17.5pts, 9.75rbs, 3.75ast in 26min/gm
Samuelson is shooting 49% and averaging 19pts, 4.67rbs, 3.34ast in 32.34min/game
Stevens has been a major contributor in every UConn comeback this season. I'm not sure Uconn beats ND if not for Z. She is a real game changer. 6'6", quick, flexible, skillful, a good ball handler, she is a load coming off the bench for an opponent to adjust to. Z would start for most top 10 teams. UConn has such incredible talent. The top seven players are all actual or potential AA's. For UConn Z is one more fine player. For most teams she would be the star. And she is going to get better. Go Huskies!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
By any chance did Geno give a hat tip to Sylvia Hatchell? Bad timing that she hit her milestone at the same time and has pretty much been overlooked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm tired of picking apart this team whenever they fail to live up to our expectations. Sick and. This was a good game against a good team. No player is perfect, no team is perfect, no coach is perfect. UConn will come back strong next game. I love watching this team no matter how they play, and I think we fans should be well satisfied with a 24 point win. On to another early season game.

Congratulations to CD and Geno. I'm amazed at their historic accomplishment and that is my focus today. His and CD's greatness is unequaled in CBB. The entire state of Connecticut should be as proud as I.
We all agree with you about Geno/CD and their amazing accomplishments.
If someone on this board wants to comment about a game/ play or other item, let them. Too many people on this board want to censure what they perceive to be "negative" comments. Most of these basketball comments are pretty well thought out and deserve more than the usual dismissal by the same people on here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At their best they are all capable of being All Americans but frankly at this point in the season if you simply went by quality of play, I'm not sure that any of UConn's players would be first team AA's, not even sure about second team.....I'm confident that will change as the season progresses....we tend to be so UConn focused that we forget there are many other teams with players that are playing at an equal or higher level right now...
Have to disagree strongly. At this point in the season Azura and Kia would easily be first AA based on the quality of play.
KLS has missed a bunch of games, Gabby has not been her dominat self and Napheesa is shooting at a lower percentage than last year, but name a player (Not on last year's 1st Team AA) that is playing better basketball?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned that Gabby's migraines could be leading to her aggressiveness and fouling (three fouls in the first seven minutes of the game).

I thought she did a great job of cutting down on these last year but her proclivity to foul seems to have made a return appearance.

I hope for a speedy recovery for her.

Reaction Score
By any chance did Geno give a hat tip to Sylvia Hatchell? Bad timing that she hit her milestone at the same time and has pretty much been overlooked.
Yes during the pre-game and post-game press conferences. Geno did his part. The problem with Sylvia's game was that it was played in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon during the holiday season. Was there even TV coverage? UConn's game on the other hand was nationally broadcast in prime time, so of course there was going to be way more coverage of Geno's 1,000th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We all agree with you about Geno/CD and their amazing accomplishments.
If someone on this board wants to comment about a game/ play or other item, let them. Too many people on this board want to censure what they perceive to be "negative" comments. Most of these basketball comments are pretty well thought out and deserve more than the usual dismissal by the same people on here.
I'm going to have disagree with you on the bolded part. I am always going to disagree with something I perceive to be negative just like you are always going to consider disagreement to be "censure"

Reaction Score
This team has the potential to be one of Geno's best. They aren't there yet. In the first half of the third quarter nothing was going in the basket for them and they started to become frazzled (panicked?) and looked like they were playing not to lose. I'm sure thoughts of Mississippi State reared their ugly heads.

The time out Geno called was absolutely necessary and giving Crystal a little pine time at that juncture to settle her down was just what the doctor ordered. They got themselves back on track and finished the third quarter with a 13 to 2 run I believe. After that there was no doubt as to the outcome. A good finish against a tough opponent making the adjustments needed to ensure a victory. They need these challenges.

Oklahoma played very well. They did not play like the team that lost four games in a row. Kudos to Coach Coale for turning them around.

Reaction Score
I saw a clip of UNC game = SH 1000. There appeared to be three people in the stands from the camera's angle. I am sure there had to be 300. Just a bad time for her 1000th win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This team has the potential to be one of Geno's best. They aren't there yet. In the first half of the third quarter nothing was going in the basket for them and they started to become frazzled (panicked?) and looked like they were playing not to lose. I'm sure thoughts of Mississippi State reared their ugly heads.

The time out Geno called was absolutely necessary and giving Crystal a little pine time at that juncture to settle her down was just what the doctor ordered. They got themselves back on track and finished the third quarter with a 13 to 2 run I believe. After that there was no doubt as to the outcome. A good finish against a tough opponent making the adjustments needed to ensure a victory. They need these challenges.

Oklahoma played very well. They did not play like the team that lost four games in a row. Kudos to Coach Coale for turning them around.

Finally, an analysis I totally agree with. :)

In my opinion, when you have such an "even" team with all 5 (or 6) players contributing fairly evenly, it is generally a thing of beauty but it can happen that when shots that
are normally made don't fall, some concern or panic can set in and we do not yet have an "offensive" player like a DT, Maya or BS that is comfortable putting their team on their back when it is necessary but unlike the ND game, we handled the funk a bit better and responded more quickly. That is growth. I think even Geno is sometimes is taken back because he is used to some real A type personalities on the offensive end but this time, he managed it better with a quicker time out and really pushed the ball to Z.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I saw a clip of UNC game = SH 1000. There appeared to be three people in the stands from the camera's angle. I am sure there had to be 300. Just a bad time for her 1000th win.
Keep in mind that the game was played in the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. UNC plays there every which means the audience is probably only hardcore parents of the kids playing in that holiday tournament.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's see - ND was in control and had hit us in the mouth pretty hard. Then something happened, we hit back harder. We became the aggressor. ND folded like a wet noodle. Last night, a well coach OK team comes in and battles. Credit Sherri and her staff. They come within 7 points of us on the 3rd quarter. They hit us in the mouth. What happened? We hit back and hard. End of 3rd quarter run and the game was basically over. This team is showing growth and grit! Pheesa's shot is off - and she led the team in scoring and had 9 boards!

And to those who complain about this or that, or this player isn't doing this or that, or want the bench to play more because they need the experience to get better - I give you exhibit #1 - Geno and CD. I think its safe to say that after 1,000 wins and 11 national championships, they know what they are doing.

Not every game is going to be a 30 to 40 point blowout. Other programs are getting better and challenging UConn. Go back to 1995 championship. We won in 95 by a score of 70 - 64 over a very good Tennessee team. I rest my case!

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm tired of picking apart this team whenever they fail to live up to our expectations. Sick and. This was a good game against a good team. No player is perfect, no team is perfect, no coach is perfect. UConn will come back strong next game. I love watching this team no matter how they play, and I think we fans should be well satisfied with a 24 point win. On to another early season game.
Can I like this two or three or ten more times?

So far this season:

9 games, 4 ranked teams and 3 "others receiving votes"
5 games outside Connecticut
26.4 - avg margin of victory
6 (6!) players averaging double digit scoring
5 players averaging 3+ assists per game (CD with 5.6)
5 different players that have led the team in scoring

BTW, poor Napheesa only put up 21 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks last night. Kid is still not playing well, according to some here.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
10 (10!) players averaging double digit scoring

10? Pretty sure that's not correct.

edited--there were 6 Huskies averaging double digit scoring before last night's game, but I believe Gabby dipped a shade below 10 ppg after the game against OU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suggest some of the complainers in the game threads give themselves a little breather and maybe break the game up into 5 minute segments - watch 5 minutes then post. This living and dying on every missed shot, turnover, or run by the other team is just not healthy, and given the age of most of the people that post here, I'd hate to lose anyone just because Gabby picked up an early foul or the other team goes on a 10-2 run.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree strongly. At this point in the season Azura and Kia would easily be first AA based on the quality of play.
KLS has missed a bunch of games, Gabby has not been her dominat self and Napheesa is shooting at a lower percentage than last year, but name a player (Not on last year's 1st Team AA) that is playing better basketball?

That's a good qustion, I'll get back to you with that list................in the meantime, this year's team has yet to click on all cylinders which is pretty amazing considering that they are still reeling off significant victories over ranked teams............as I remember saying this past summer when the AA discussion came up, it was going to be difficult from a statistical standpoint for the individual players to repeat last years's statistics based on less floor time, not even anticipating the injury bug which has weakened the team.............just to highlight that this season really is a team effort, there are no UConn players in the top 50 in scoring, no UConn players in the top 50 in rebounds, no UConn players in the top 50 in steals, no UConn players in the top 50 in blocks, CD is #40 in assists and AZ is #26 in shooting percentage/Kia is #38...........just goes to show that stats aren't everything when it comes to winning .............I do expect that by the end of the season we'll see an even higher level of play which should evidence itself with better stats which are one component of the AA selections..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom