52-14 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

52-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I DO love stats because they tell a story and in this case the stats don't match the story which is why I call BS. I can promise you, Im not an anti ref type guy or conspiracy guy. I have family members involved in officiating. The the reality is that fouls are subjective, meaning they can be called on literally every play if they wanted. Just like the NFL there can be calls on every play. That's the human element and yes they DO hold grudges and do dislike coaches and DO sometimes have it out for coaches they hate and utilize there buddies to go against staffs that has wronged them, etc etc.... Its like anywhere else in the world with relationships. Some are good, others may not be but make no mistake it affects outcomes and play. Not all the time but in this case without question IMO and its not even being hidden, its in plain site if your willing to look.

I'm not saying UConn needs more FT's, I'm saying have it be somewhat close! Not 15 and 20 FT disparities. That's insane and frankly unfair. UConn could have shot 100% in both games from the line and still lost while outscoring BOTH opponents on the floor. Think about that.

Okay, so refs hold grudges and dislike coaches. I wonder why that is . . .? Anything anyone associated with the team can do about that?

I’ve already explained in my previous post why we outscored them from the floor. You can’t simply take away their FTs but still keep the test of their scoring the same and assume that we will still have a 14 shot advantage when we only had 6 more more offensive rebounds and no advantage on turnovers.

Reaction Score
Oh come on.

Watching both games, it's obvious the refs made terrible, one-sided calls, which is admittedly subjective. jayp comes with the objective stats to back it up. Combine the subjective and the objective, and yes, it's clear that it's a hose job by the refs.
Do you genuinely think we would have won either of those games if a few calls went
our way?

Reaction Score
UConn was terrible shooting, but the foul disparity makes no sense to me looking at box score.

How does UConn give up 35 foul shots while PC has only 18 points in the paint and took only 49 shots. PC also shot only 32% from 2-point range.

Not saying refs were wrong in their calls, but the game was played at same physicality level, the rebounding was even, the 3-point shots were even.

Everything in this game was even except foul shots, 16 more free throws and held a +19 advantage from line.

This one was weird.

Everything was not even. Providence shot 83% from the line and 44% from 3. We shot 53% from the line and 23% from 3. You don’t win games with numbers like that even if there was no disparity in fouls.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn was terrible shooting, but the foul disparity makes no sense to me looking at box score.

How does UConn give up 35 foul shots while PC has only 18 points in the paint and took only 49 shots. PC also shot only 32% from 2-point range.

Not saying refs were wrong in their calls, but the game was played at same physicality level, the rebounding was even, the 3-point shots were even.

Everything in this game was even except foul shots, 16 more free throws and held a +19 advantage from line.

This one was weird.
Because, while the point August is making is usually valid, it wasn’t in this game. This was just payback. All those loose balls PC got? That happened after they hit the double bonus 6 minutes into the 2nd half, not before. UConn owned the rebounding in the first half. UConn was attacking the rim, even more than PC was until late in the game whem we hoisted 3s to come back. This was absurd officiating. Chalking it up to “play harder” is nonsense. That was the answer for Xavier perhaps, not PC.

Reaction Score
We’ve been outscored 52-14 from the FT line the last 2 games.

It’s fine to talk about the flaws of the team, but the reality is WILDLY lopsided officiating and free throws are the only reason we have 2 Ls right now.

It’s impossible to get into a flow/rhythm with this kind of disparity.

You legitimately have to play perfect to overcome that.
It's wildly lopsided fouling by UConn. Watch the replays.

Reaction Score
Everything was not even. Providence shot 83% from the line and 44% from 3. We shot 53% from the line and 23% from 3. You don’t win games with numbers like that even if there was no disparity in fouls.
I think you missed the part where I said they outscored them 51-44. Percentage means nothing when that happens. Thats the score WITH percentages factored in. Also you may have missed the part where I ALSO said even if they shot 100% FT they went 10-19, they would still lose. They lost by 12. If they shot 19-19 that's 9 extra points and STILL lose by 3 with 100% FT percentage. That's how insanely this was officiated. That a team could go literally 36% (both teams did) have almost the same amount of 3 pt shots made (5 and 8) and shoot 100% from the line and STILL lose.

Volume matters, volume at FT attempts matters BIG Time. Its why every coach in the country works the refs. They know this. Its why Hurley essentially alluded to it in his presser at Xavier. He shut his mouth for PC because he already knows there sticking it to him. So yes the disparity matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn guards 5-30. Those players keep that up we will be 2 games over .500 in the Big East regular season. There were some real clankers in those 25 misses.

Reaction Score
OH... I didn't realize you wanted both. I was just talking PC because that was the most recent. I can do Xavier as well. Try this on for size...UConn ALSO outscored them by 9, 69-60 on the floor. They Also outrebounded them 38-31 and crushed them 13-4 on offensive rebounds. They had more assists 23-20, equal amount of blocks 2-2, they lost the steals battle 11-6 and Turnovers 16-12. Had more 3pts 13-4 AND shot a better percentage from 3pt land 35%-30%. But that's neither here nor there, they outscored them on the floor so that's all that matter. This game was about as close to equal as well...know where it wasn't? Foul shots 28-9. This game Id say they got hosed as well by the refs.

Look its clear you just want to bury your head in the sand and not matter what stats look totally out of the ordinary of ANY game, ANYwhere in the US you just going to fall back on "they lost". I get it, its much easier than really coming to terms that there IS a human element in this game and sometimes that human element literally affects outcomes of games. I get it.
You’re not making any sense. You can’t just say that UConn outscored them from the floor but the refs hosed us by giving X foul shots as though those are simply bonus points. It doesn’t work that way.

The reason we outscored them from the floor is because X was taking free throws INSTEAD OF field goal attempts. If the refs did not call those fouls, X would have been taking shots from the floor instead. So, let’s look at your preferred scenario where the 2 teams get the same number of free throws.

We had 9 FTs and converted those into 4 points. If X had also had only 9 FTs, since they were converting FTs at an 82% rate, they would have had 7.4 points, giving them a 3 point advantage from the line.

We had 7 more offensive rebounds but 4 more turnovers for a net of +3 in possessions instead of getting 15 more shot attempts. So, now we have X getting 12 more attempts instead of all those extra FTs. Shooting 54% from the floor, 31% from 3, and taking 25% of their shots from 3, X could be expected to score 13 points off those 12 field goal attempts.

So while we outscored X from the floor by 9 when they were taking all those FTs, if they had been shooting FGs INSTEAD OF FTs, they woukd have outscored us by 4 from the floor with those 13 extra points and would still have had a +3 advantage on FTs. The result is that X still wins the game by 7?

Why? Because X outshot us 54% to 42% from the floor and 82% to 44% from the line. Your analysis simply ignores all that. We outrebounded them, but they better and forced more turnovers. The net advantage was to them with or without favorable foul calls.

Reaction Score
Glad you cherry picked 2 teams that I agree are average looking at this point. Both were essentially on the road though so that does change things and to play games consecutive is difficult especially early season. They still beat a Top 15 Bama team, a Top 25 ISU team and a very solid looking OK St. team. All 5 teams will most likely end up in the top 60 of America. So it wasn't like it was a cream puff slate and they manhandled those teams is the point I think hes making and you missed.

Look, they had a great start to the season and deserve to be still ranked in the top 5 based on their accomplishments. No one’s disputing that.

You’re the one who brought those games up as though they somehow prove that they aren’t capable of having a bad night against a good team, somehow inferring that those games prove that the refs must have stolen thise games from us.

Get over it. We got beat. We can lose a couple of games on the road just like anyone else. All the top teams have done the same.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think you missed the part where I said they outscored them 51-44. Percentage means nothing when that happens. Thats the score WITH percentages factored in. Also you may have missed the part where I ALSO said even if they shot 100% FT they went 10-19, they would still lose. They lost by 12. If they shot 19-19 that's 9 extra points and STILL lose by 3 with 100% FT percentage. That's how insanely this was officiated. That a team could go literally 36% (both teams did) have almost the same amount of 3 pt shots made (5 and 8) and shoot 100% from the line and STILL lose.

Volume matters, volume at FT attempts matters BIG Time. Its why every coach in the country works the refs. They know this. Its why Hurley essentially alluded to it in his presser at Xavier. He shut his mouth for PC because he already knows there sticking it to him. So yes the disparity matters.
Every coach doesn’t “work” the ref the way Hurley does. He is downright disrespectful and vulgar. I’ve sat 8 rows behind the bench for 5 yrs with DH as HC and many with HCKO and HCJC. I heard much more than you have. HCJC was happy to throw f bombs but none of them were used as a descriptive name thrown at a ref.
Did he publicly say that he was quiet because he knew the refs were out for him. Or is that you putting words in his mouth?
As far as the FT discrepancy is concerned, I urge you to look at the thread that McLovin did on crunching numbers of fouls drawn in NBE play in the paint. Tell me how many fouls were drawn by Xavier and PC players vs those by UConn players. PC and Xavier each have 4 in the top 30 and UConn has 1. If I remember correctly Creighton has at least 3 in the top 30. Remember this includes games involving all NBE teams not just those vs UConn. Some teams know how to draw fouls and defend without fouling. Some can’t do either well. Guess where UConn lands.? It can be taught and when it is perhaps the disparity will abate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom