52-14 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

52-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We sucked shooting from three and from the stripe. Providence hustled more and seemed to get 90% of the loose balls tonight. Those were two huge reasons why Providence won.

I'm not gonna say the refs cost us the game, but it's OK to say the officials sucked too as much as our shooting did.

Don't mistake me, I'm not saying UConn deserved to get to the line more because we didn't. But Providence's FTA should have been much lower. There must have been a 4-5 minute stretch in the first half where every time Providence wasn't putting the ball in the hoop a foul was called. I'm tired of referees blowing the whistle because they ANTICIPATE a foul. You see it all the time and it kills the flow of the game.

Both halves the Friars were in the double bonus very early. For god sakes they called 47 fouls tonight. A complete joke.

Again, I'm not saying that's the reason we lost but I'd put it 3rd after our crappy shooting and Providence working to get all 50/50 plays.

The refs weren’t anticipating calls. When a team takes the ball to the hole - especially when they do it on fast breaks - and they do it before the defense can get their feet set, they tend to get the calls no matter who the refs are. Seeing that this was working for PC, Hurley could have done the same thing. But he didn’t.

Reaction Score
i'm loathe to complain about officiating since a) i ref high school basketball and b) it's generally for babies. but it is painfully obvious we are getting shafted with calls.

last night's game is even worse than it looks based on stats. there was a blatant attempt by the refs to balance the number of fouls in the second half when it was 7-2, or around there, by them calling ticky tack, inconsequential, non shooting fouls on providence.

Reaction Score
i'm loathe to complain about officiating since a) i ref high school basketball and b) it's generally for babies. but it is painfully obvious we are getting shafted with calls.

last night's game is even worse than it looks based on stats. there was a blatant attempt by the refs to balance the number of fouls in the second half when it was 7-2, or around there, by them calling ticky tack, inconsequential, non shooting fouls on providence.
I agree I have family who officiate and understand the human element and try to be fair but this is egregious...I mean BOTH games UConn outscored PC and Xavier on the floor and essentially lost due to a one sided FT shooting contest. Ive watched 30 years of UConn basketball as well as nationally....to lose when you outscore the other opponent is RARE and usually its by a point or two either way. To lose when you outscore an opponent by 7? 9? Points AND lose by 10+ ...Id venture to say maybe 2% of the games EVER. Thats insanely rare. So unless these refs are "cooking" the games, which after Tim Donaghy, anything is possible especially with the nature and ease of gambling in our society currently, they have some issues with Hurley and are taking it out on UConn. Its clear to anyone watching.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We shot 4 free throws against Butler but won so the refs weren't the problem. We got out free throwed(new word) against LIU but won so no inquiry. Look at the free throw differential in the Oregon and Florida games. Through 16 games we have shot less free throws in eight of them. Two of the cupcake teams shot more. Our starting center has excellent post moves but shies away from contact. Karaban is a full year away from being a player that will try to initiate contact. Hawk is decent but still 10 pounds away from trying to draw contact on a consistent basis. Newton doesn't seem like he is interested in doing it. Andre doesn't have the offensive game for it. Not the game of Calc, Neheem or Diarra. Clingan played 20 minutes and shot 8 free throws which feels about right. We had a lot of wide open, run and gun games early which is what we want. The Big East is a different story. It's not the refs. We still have a very good team but drawing fouls is not our strength.

Dont tell that to Q-Afoul. There is a conspiracy dammit and we have to get to the bottom of it!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The refs weren’t anticipating calls. When a team takes the ball to the hole - especially when they do it on fast breaks - and they do it before the defense can get their feet set, they tend to get the calls no matter who the refs are. Seeing that this was working for PC, Hurley could have done the same thing. But he didn’t.

You have convinced me. I am going to be a Providence fan like you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dont tell that to Q-Afoul. There is a conspiracy dammit and we have to get to the bottom of it!

For you to be right, UConn must have forgotten how to play defense after beating Oregon, Alabama, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Florida. How does a team forget how to play defense?

UConn somehow ran that gauntlet with easy wins, but can't slow down freaking Providence without fouling?

Logic is not a strong suit of this board.

Reaction Score
But Boneyard martyrs said that it wasn't the refs.
Well that’s one of the craziest stats I’ve ever seen put up on the boneyard - so either newton, Diarra hawk , Ajax and Joey c are the worst penetrating guards for a highly ranked team in the last decade -or the refs hate us. If true ,that’s nuts

Reaction Score
For you to be right, UConn must have forgotten how to play defense after beating Oregon, Alabama, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Florida. How does a team forget how to play defense?

UConn somehow ran that gauntlet with easy wins, but can't slow down freaking Providence without fouling?

They’re in a slump. It happens. Xavier annihilated us on defense. Danny’s teams always foul a lot. The offense was working a lot better early in the season. There are other answers to just “Wahh it’s the refs fault wahhh”.

Reaction Score

Agreed Logic isn't strong with some on this board. People point to certain game and say "see you can win with big foul discrepancies" the reality is YOU CAN. But take a look -either you have to shoot the absolute lights out 50%+ each game which what team can do THAT every game? Not many....and or the OTHER team just has to shoot so poorly (Butler) for you to overcome it.

The issue I see with specifically the last 2 games is that when ALL else is EQUAL, UConn has to overcome the refs bias to win. THAT right there IS the issue. I would be fine if PC smoked us and shot insane from the field, they didn't. I would be also fine if Xavier did the same, they also didn't. This is where the problem lies. Both games played close to even were decided on the foul line with ONE team getting decidedly preferential treatment. Its super clear.

Think about this....Even IF UConn shot a perfect 100% from the line against PC they would have still lost. That's a problem people. Both teams shot 36%, PC made 3 more 3pt shots. UConn outscored them on the floor and even if they shot 100% from the foul line they still would lose. That's nuts and quite frankly should not even be able to happen in ANY CBB game anywhere.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They’re in a slump. It happens. Xavier annihilated us on defense. Danny’s teams always foul a lot. The offense was working a lot better early in the season. There are other answers to just “Wahh it’s the refs fault wahhh”.

You think Providence is much better than all 5 of those teams. Got it.

Reaction Score
You think Providence is much better than all 5 of those teams. Got it.
You’re actually insufferable lol. You have a one track mind and anything that challenges your OPINION is wrong. Get over yourself, not a good look.

Reaction Score
Agreed Logic isn't strong with some on this board. People point to certain game and say "see you can win with big foul discrepancies" the reality is YOU CAN. But take a look -either you have to shoot the absolute lights out 50%+ each game which what team can do THAT every game? Not many....and or the OTHER team just has to shoot so poorly (Butler) for you to overcome it.

The issue I see with specifically the last 2 games is that when ALL else is EQUAL, UConn has to overcome the refs bias to win. THAT right there IS the issue. I would be fine if PC smoked us and shot insane from the field, they didn't. I would be also fine if Xavier did the same, they also didn't. This is where the problem lies. Both games played close to even were decided on the foul line with ONE team getting decidedly preferential treatment. Its super clear.

Think about this....Even IF UConn shot a perfect 100% from the line against PC they would have still lost. That's a problem people. Both teams shot 36%, PC made 3 more 3pt shots. UConn outscored them on the floor and even if they shot 100% from the foul line they still would lose. That's nuts and quite frankly should not even be able to happen in ANY CBB game anywhere.
All else was not equal is the whole thing. We got outplayed both games.

Reaction Score
We played like garbage tonight. The officiating wasn't the issue. We couldn't move the ball.
And couldn't play defense (coaching needs to adjust on defense against certain teams).

Reaction Score
All else was not equal is the whole thing. We got outplayed both games.
Tell me where it wasn't equal? Both shot 36% from field. One team only made 3 3pters more than the other, not like they had 10 more. UConn actually outscored them 51-44 from the field. PC had more rebounds were 41-39-pretty equal, UConn had more assists, more blocks, less turnovers, more steals...LOL

That's damn near as equal as it gets. And some would say with numbers like that UConn outplayed them. So please tell me again how against PC UConn got outplayed?

Reaction Score

Gauntlet? Florida’s a .500 team and Oregon is just 1 game over .500. And they’re barely into their conference schedule, which is where their toughest games will be.

Logic? Your logic is that the refs beat us? No logic there.

Sometimes you just get beat. We got beat.

Reaction Score
Gauntlet? Florida’s a .500 team and Oregon is just 1 game over .500. And they’re barely into their conference schedule, which is where their toughest games will be.

Logic? Your logic is that the refs beat us? No logic there.

Sometimes you just get beat. We got beat.
Glad you cherry picked 2 teams that I agree are average looking at this point. Both were essentially on the road though so that does change things and to play games consecutive is difficult especially early season. They still beat a Top 15 Bama team, a Top 25 ISU team and a very solid looking OK St. team. All 5 teams will most likely end up in the top 60 of America. So it wasn't like it was a cream puff slate and they manhandled those teams is the point I think hes making and you missed.

Reaction Score
Tell me where it wasn't equal? Both shot 36% from field. One team only made 3 3pters more than the other, not like they had 10 more. UConn actually outscored them 51-44 from the field. PC had more rebounds were 41-39-pretty equal, UConn had more assists, more blocks, less turnovers, more steals...LOL

That's damn near as equal as it gets. And some would say with numbers like that UConn outplayed them. So please tell me again how against PC UConn got outplayed?
Funny how you only talk about the PC game because the Xavier game doesn’t fit your narrative.

Regardless, PC had the best player on the court by a mile, and he got to the line because he drove to the hoop whenever he wanted. That account for a lot of the difference. AK couldn’t guard him and we fouled him a lot. They played better. They defended better, they outhustled us, and we were outcoached. Those things played more of a part than the refs.

Reaction Score
Funny how you only talk about the PC game because the Xavier game doesn’t fit your narrative.

Regardless, PC had the best player on the court by a mile, and he got to the line because he drove to the hoop whenever he wanted. That account for a lot of the difference. AK couldn’t guard him and we fouled him a lot. They played better. They defended better, they outhustled us, and we were outcoached. Those things played more of a part than the refs.
OH... I didn't realize you wanted both. I was just talking PC because that was the most recent. I can do Xavier as well. Try this on for size...UConn ALSO outscored them by 9, 69-60 on the floor. They Also outrebounded them 38-31 and crushed them 13-4 on offensive rebounds. They had more assists 23-20, equal amount of blocks 2-2, they lost the steals battle 11-6 and Turnovers 16-12. Had more 3pts 13-4 AND shot a better percentage from 3pt land 35%-30%. But that's neither here nor there, they outscored them on the floor so that's all that matter. This game was about as close to equal as well...know where it wasn't? Foul shots 28-9. This game Id say they got hosed as well by the refs.

Look its clear you just want to bury your head in the sand and not matter what stats look totally out of the ordinary of ANY game, ANYwhere in the US you just going to fall back on "they lost". I get it, its much easier than really coming to terms that there IS a human element in this game and sometimes that human element literally affects outcomes of games. I get it.

Reaction Score
OH... I didn't realize you wanted both. I was just talking PC because that was the most recent. I can do Xavier as well. Try this on for size...UConn ALSO outscored them by 9, 69-60 on the floor. They Also outrebounded them 38-31 and crushed them 13-4 on offensive rebounds. They had more assists 23-20, equal amount of blocks 2-2, they lost the steals battle 11-6 and Turnovers 16-12. Had more 3pts 13-4 AND shot a better percentage from 3pt land 35%-30%. But that's neither here nor there, they outscored them on the floor so that's all that matter. This game was about as close to equal as well...know where it wasn't? Foul shots 28-9. This game Id say they got hosed as well by the refs.

Look its clear you just want to bury your head in the sand and not matter what stats look totally out of the ordinary of ANY game, ANYwhere in the US you just going to fall back on "they lost". I get it, its much easier than really coming to terms that there IS a human element in this game and sometimes that human element literally affects outcomes of games. I get it.
I guess we’ll only be happy if we get more free throws than the opponent. Anything less is a hose job by the refs. Got it.

Xavier took 10 free throws in the final 2:30 of the game. Hurley gifted them 2, after a foul was called which resulted in 2. That means 6 more free throws were given because we sort of HAD to foul down the stretch to stop the clock.

Since you like stats, try to find one on drives per game for us and the opposition. I’m sure we rather frequently have significantly less.

Reaction Score
I DO love stats because they tell a story and in this case the stats don't match the story which is why I call BS. I can promise you, Im not an anti ref type guy or conspiracy guy. I have family members involved in officiating. The the reality is that fouls are subjective, meaning they can be called on literally every play if they wanted. Just like the NFL there can be calls on every play. That's the human element and yes they DO hold grudges and do dislike coaches and DO sometimes have it out for coaches they hate and utilize there buddies to go against staffs that has wronged them, etc etc.... Its like anywhere else in the world with relationships. Some are good, others may not be but make no mistake it affects outcomes and play. Not all the time but in this case without question IMO and its not even being hidden, its in plain site if your willing to look.

I'm not saying UConn needs more FT's, I'm saying have it be somewhat close! Not 15 and 20 FT disparities. That's insane and frankly unfair. UConn could have shot 100% in both games from the line and still lost while outscoring BOTH opponents on the floor. Think about that. That means these refs made DAMN sure there was no avenue for UConn to win this game unless they just went absolute ham from 3pt land and kept draining 3's at a rate that's not sustainable.

Drives are somewhat overrated, they don't always cause fouls but I agree they could drive more. The issue is not the style, refs just need to call more fouls and call it fair. OK lets say they drive more, if nobody is calling it and just letting it play on, were in the same boat. Plays in the paint create fouls and foul shots too but last I looked no matter how many touches Sonogo and Clingan have past 2 games, I don't see them going to the line. This is point Im trying to make...everyone has a "theory" about changing up the style of play but if refs aren't calling it, it don't matter. Which is why I hang ALL of this on the refs ability to be impartial. Its just that simple. I wish it wasnt, but it is what it is as they say.

Reaction Score

Okay, let’s use logic.

1. Let’s assume that both teams have the same number of fouls called on them.

2. Let’s assume that we get 6 more shots because we got 6 more offensive rebounds and the number of turnovers was equal.

Under that scenario, Providence doesn’t get all those FTs, but they do get more FG attempts because those foul shots replaced field goal attempts. So, instead of getting 14 more field goal attempts, we get 6 more. That means Providence gets 8 more field goal attempts. Shooting at .367 from the floor and .444 from 3, those 8 shots would yield 7, maybe 8 points. We outscored them by 7 from the floor, so if they had those extra 8 shots, that would have wiped out our scoring advantage from the floor because of their superior 3 point shooting.

Then assuming that they get the same 19 FTs that we did due to the same number of fouls being called, at .829 from the line, they convert those 19 FTs into 16 points instead of the 19 points that we scored from the line.

So, just following logic, Providence still wins the game by 6-7 points. It would have been closer, but they still win. The refs’ foul calls did not cost us the game.

Reaction Score
I guess we’ll only be happy if we get more free throws than the opponent. Anything less is a hose job by the refs. Got it.

Xavier took 10 free throws in the final 2:30 of the game. Hurley gifted them 2, after a foul was called which resulted in 2. That means 6 more free throws were given because we sort of HAD to foul down the stretch to stop the clock.

Since you like stats, try to find one on drives per game for us and the opposition. I’m sure we rather frequently have significantly less.
Oh come on.

Watching both games, it's obvious the refs made terrible, one-sided calls, which is admittedly subjective. jayp comes with the objective stats to back it up. Combine the subjective and the objective, and yes, it's clear that it's a hose job by the refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom